Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

in fairness i am going to say ive always been baffled by this animation, even if it's aloy's signature "thing", it's too superheroic. she jumps off, twists in mid-air, and throws the rope behind her hard enough to go back 40 feet in the air and catch on whatever she just jumped off. its cool exactly once, when you do it escaping a bunch of eclipse cultists and bots blowing things up right behind you. the rest of the time there's never anyone around, she just jumps off like a maniac to do the rope trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nah, it's cool, op.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MH Knights posted:

How hard is it to buy a PS5 for MSRP these days?

If you’re willing to pre-enter all your CC information into Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Amazon etc and camp out on a Discord for a couple weeks smashing the add to cart button as soon as a notification pops up, then you can get a PS5. We’re still far away from being able to just walk into a store and get one, though.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Cactus posted:

I bought a PS5 by accident.

Tbf it's still pretty hard to do that on purpose

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

in fairness i am going to say ive always been baffled by this animation, even if it's aloy's signature "thing", it's too superheroic. she jumps off, twists in mid-air, and throws the rope behind her hard enough to go back 40 feet in the air and catch on whatever she just jumped off. its cool exactly once, when you do it escaping a bunch of eclipse cultists and bots blowing things up right behind you. the rest of the time there's never anyone around, she just jumps off like a maniac to do the rope trick

It is stupid but I can live with it. I do wish someone at Guerilla had seen people actually fight or had some sense of the physics of two people fighting, because that stupid move she keeps doing in the new game is driving me crazy. It's the one where she jumps onto the enemy as if they are a vertical platform, then pushes off flying backwards 10 or 15 feet. The enemy shows little or no sign that a 100lb+ human has just landed on them nor pushed off of them hard enough to fly backwards five yards. There are so many awesome fighting styles and moves that still don't get used much in movies and video games but we get the same crap over and over or we get Guerilla trying to be different but coming up with stuff that is more at home in pro wrestling.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Humans are simply built better in the future. Even a single hit from the weakest robot would be like getting bodied by a harley, to us.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cactus posted:

Yeah I've learned been exposed to that lesson more than once. It doesn't matter the company's track record. It doesn't matter what video footage I've seen. It doesn't matter whichever outlets are saying this and that are amazing; I Will Never Ever Succumb to pre-order hype ever again.

Many thanks go to CDPR; they really nailed that lesson, the one that I wilfully failed to learn from the No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda releases. I'm genuinely grateful because over the years it's taken a while for me to recognise how susceptible I am to all of these insidious hype tactics. I will wait and see, and then, when my suspicions are confirmed that this is indeed a motherfucking kickarse have-a-tomato-and-eat-it-as-well game, I will click the clicky thing and purchase my post-post apocalypse experience, and endeavor to be a pretty conflicted hard-nosed red-haired princess that rides giant robot beasts of burden into tribal lands she knows nothing about.

I can't wait to not be disappointed.

I was never hyped about Cyberpunk 2077 precisely because it was an entirely new genre, with different assets, mechanics, development workflows, etc etc. It was a big ask for someone who made a series of janky euro RPGs (yes, Witcher 3 is janky as hell, and it doesn't utilize its open world that well) to make a GTA/Deus Ex hybrid.

Horizon Forbidden West? God of War Ragnarok? Elden Ring? They build upon years of institutional knowledge within the studio. I'm confident they will be good. And I'll also acknowledge that HFW is actually the riskiest of the 3 games I mentioned, because despite HZD's quality at release, it had a shaky development history: they got lucky the first time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My robot dinosaur warriors videogame protagonist is too powerful :qq:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I know it’s disappointing now but I’m confident that by the time we get to Horizon 3 Aloy will be able to suplex a robot.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I know it’s disappointing now but I’m confident that by the time we get to Horizon 3 Aloy will be able to suplex a robot.

I'd take that over jumping on people's knees and leaping backwards. Would be more believable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

or we get Guerilla trying to be different but coming up with stuff that is more at home in pro wrestling.

You say this like it's a bad thing

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing

Hey, if they threw in a DDT I'm there, but even wrestling doesn't do poo poo as stupid as what I've been ranting about. Well, most of the time. It is after all the home of prisoners of inertia and The Rock's impossibly dumb finishing move.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hopefully these are all melee pit unlockables.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JBP posted:

My robot dinosaur warriors videogame protagonist is too powerful :qq:

All women are powerful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1486685414375280644

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait until they play 2 different fromsoft games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here are some previews of what Forbidden West will look like on a PS4(Pro). The resolution is a bit fuzzier and it's obviously locked to 30fps, but the texture quality and draw distance still look to be an improvement over Zero Dawn. That new Utaru settlement looks amazing! Like something right out of Dinotopia.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PinkFittingBoaconstrictor-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ClutteredWeirdAmethystgemclam-mobile.mp4

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They reused a fern at 18 seconds into the second clip from the first game.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 27, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going through preview footage looking for puddles of water.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

They reused the protagonist from the first game?? What the gently caress???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The title even has the same first word, have some imagination geez

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m over the whole HZD:FW naming scheme. Frozen Wild. Forbidden West. What’s next?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m over the whole HZD:FW naming scheme. Frozen Wild. Forbidden West. What’s next?

Next game is going to have a lot of outrageous revelations.

Horizon loving What?!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's 100% gonna be Horizon Far Zenith, taking one initial from both of the previous games and thus confusing people forever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Does anyone think POSEIDON will be the "lead" GAIA AI in this expansion, with the introduction of swimming?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon Faro Wins :smith:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Speaking of the title, interesting bit in one of the IGN preview videos, Horizon: Forbidden West wasn't the original title, they changed it because the original sounded too much like the first game. Since the red plague kills all the grass in front of people's dwellings, it was going to be Horizon: Zero Lawn.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I hope the music is still good. Some of the tracks from the first game are good to vibe to

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

theCalamity posted:

I hope the music is still good. Some of the tracks from the first game are good to vibe to

It sucks the PS5 doesn’t have themes with different music because I liked the one that played Aloy’s theme

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1486860405020315648

Looks like review copies were sent out.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Always a good sign when there aren’t review embargoes.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I feel like I've been away from the console wars for too long, that guy's twitter is just completely incomprehensible to me.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Apraxin posted:

I feel like I've been away from the console wars for too long, that guy's twitter is just completely incomprehensible to me.

I didn't understand much, but what I did I hated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

Always a good sign when there aren’t review embargoes.

Sony games typically have their reviews drop 3-7 days in advance. Even Days Gone, which was the last Playstation exclusive to have kinda middling reviews, got a 24-hour notice. Review copies have already gone out so they must be pretty confident in giving the critics almost 3 weeks to play it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sony are the real heroes. They have my $125aud. That's $120aud of trust and $5aud of love.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

exquisite tea posted:

Sony games typically have their reviews drop 3-7 days in advance. Even Days Gone, which was the last Playstation exclusive to have kinda middling reviews, got a 24-hour notice. Review copies have already gone out so they must be pretty confident in giving the critics almost 3 weeks to play it.

Am I the only person who wants a Days Gone 2? It was a middling game but it was a lot of fun too and set up a unique world I still recall bits/locations from.
I felt has a lot of potential with the right backing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

One thing I'm not looking forward to is having to play on a pad. I've got an UH run going right now on the original game, and while I was a bit dubious at first I've come to the realisation that this was the way the game was meant to be played. It's forcing me to be careful while travelling, to dodge properly and whip the camera round in combat, and to take full advantage of the machines weak points. M&k control is probably the only thing making that possible for me and I want to play the sequel on the hardest difficulty but the pad is going to be a serious handicap for me there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I would only accept changes to her grappling jump animation if she went further with it, like and extra flip.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I don't care that they reused her grappling animation, it looked cool then and still looks cool now. What's neat is they added the rope coming closer to the camera and now the grappling looks cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd rather she just grappled the floor before hitting it to break her fall tbh