Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Devian666 posted:

My computer has caught the blue dot on the update icon. It's threatening to upgrade to Windows 11. Is there a way to disable this until Windows 12 releases?

Don't say yes to the upgrade? AFAIK the 11 upgrade is still only offered, and won't do it without user action.

You can follow these instructions with "21H2" in the targeted version. That will block 11 if it ever becomes an auto-install. But it'll also block the '22 annual update, so at some point you'll need to come back and edit it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you tell it you don't want Windows 11 it goes away

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not sure where else to ask

Anyone use bluestacks or any other emulation software? Could one hypothetically use it for discord and get push notifications? Could said push notifications be alerted to one's phone in a roundabout way? Before you ask, no one cannot use discord on one's phone because a server is banned on one's main account

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Hey dude my old mouse-blocking thing was not as nice as I remembered, so I took a bit more time to do a better job. Just finished it up now. Here you go: GoonSleep

There's both a compiled exe and the ahk script code. You can replace the included .png image with any other png you'd like as your warning image (any size, doesn't need to be the same resolution).

Possibly useful note: Windows (at least 10 & up) gives some system components privileged input that other programs can't muck with. So this program is safe with stuff like the lock screen, and in any situation where you need to use your computer you can just hit ctrl+alt+del to get the Task Manager. Task Manager is also immune so you can easily use that to kill GoonSleep no matter what.
Trip report: GoonSleep is excellent.

The first time I used it I set it to start loving with my mouse about 90 minutes in the future, and stop an hour later. The sad face emoji appeared, then my mouse button became annoying to use but I could easily save and quit. Then I walked away from my computer because even closing Steam and powering down would have taken too many annoying mouse clicks.
The second time I set it to work for only 5 minutes, 2 hours in the future. That was perfect.
Knowing that I can work around GoonSleep's restrictions by simply ctrl-alt-del to Task Manager is great, that's enough effort by itself to knock me out of the game trance and accomplish the goal here but that option means I'll happily use GoonSleep and ignore the voice in my head that asks stupid questions like "but what if I want to reply to that email right after I quit the game?".

A+++ will allow my computer to install unknown software from an unknown source again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ctrl-alt-esc skips the stupid ctrl alt del screen and gets you to task manager immediately.

I know nobody asked but I really hate that cad screen.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

tuyop posted:

Ctrl-alt-esc skips the stupid ctrl alt del screen and gets you to task manager immediately.

:psypop:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You mean ctrl-shift-esc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

You mean ctrl-shift-esc.

Lol yes, oops

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What...what does the other one do?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

I was playing with various ahk scripts today to see about switching audio poo poo around and that was a key combo I was thinking about. :downs:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExecuDork posted:

Trip report: GoonSleep is excellent.

A+++ will allow my computer to install unknown software from an unknown source again.

Glad you like it! I made it more assuming a regular time of day to quit, so the way you want different times might be a bit annoying. Sometimes you might start it and end up in the block-out time from the last use.

I could add something more like the sleep timer on a TV where you just give it a countdown time if that would work better for you.

Ynglaur posted:

ctrl+alt+esc is kinda an inverse alt-tab. deactivate current window & send it below all other windows, activate window that was previously lowest.

dunno when that would be useful but it's there!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

ctrl+alt+esc is kinda an inverse alt-tab. deactivate current window & send it below all other windows, activate window that was previously lowest.

dunno when that would be useful but it's there!

I think it's the same as just Alt+Esc.

It's useful if you have maxmised windows to "deactivate".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

I agree about that CAD screen, it's dumb. However, it was useful the last time (yesterday) Civ VI crashed - it just hung and my computer was doing nothing. Task manager couldn't come up, but I could sign out which broke the computer out of its hang.

Gromit posted:

You mean ctrl-shift-esc.

Oh hey, that'll teach to read ahead before typing up a reply (no it won't, I'll never learn that I'm too dumb for forums). Yeah, that works. So I guess we discovered a quick way to jump back to another program, instead of cycling through alt-tab.

EDIT: A countdown timer would be nice but it works great as-is.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

Don't say yes to the upgrade? AFAIK the 11 upgrade is still only offered, and won't do it without user action.

You can follow these instructions with "21H2" in the targeted version. That will block 11 if it ever becomes an auto-install. But it'll also block the '22 annual update, so at some point you'll need to come back and edit it again.

I got the "offer" to upgrade to 11 the other day and cause of my bad Win 10 experience (hit the "x" on the upgrade window instead of "cancel" and got Win10*) I opted out.

I note that everyone hates the new taskbar....but is there anything else I should be wary of? Does it mess with my Docs, Pics, Music, Videos folders like that one upgrade that wiped them if they were in the wrong place?

All the major articles seem UI focused which makes sense cause Win11 seems like a coat of paint with some minor chair shuffling over Win10.

I guess until Microsoft makes DirectX15 Win11 exclusive, is there any reason to upgrade beyond a more consolidated Settings menu and the ability to run Android apps (why?)?

*Win10 is fine. Its like Win7 but somewhat better. I just didn't like how I was "tricked" by following 20 years of Windows UI design language

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DirectStorage is already 11 exclusive so when we see some games that actually load fast hit the PC that will be a more compelling reason to upgrade.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They already backpedaled on that

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-developer-preview-now-available/

quote:

Microsoft is committed to ensuring that when game developers adopt a new API, they can reach as many gamers as possible. As such, games built against the DirectStorage SDK will be compatible with Windows 10, version 1909 and up; the same as the DirectX 12 Agility SDK.

They say Win11 has some nebulous kernel improvements that let DirectStorage work faster, but it'll still work on 10

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

So I upgraded to 11 last week and just ran into an issue I'm not finding much on via Google: is there any way to directly call Snipping Tool without using Start Menu/Win+Shift+S?

Back on 10 I had an extremely convenient mouse button mapping to SnippingTool.exe, but I can't seem to find a specific executable for the new version. Has anyone figured this out, or is it time to find a third-party screenshot app?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For me it's in

AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ScreenSketch_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SnippingTool.exe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guessing that changes anytime that tool updates.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The perfect use case for Everything! search.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
This works when typed into the run box, but not on a commandline:
ms-screenclip:
ms-screensketch:
(First one is same as win+shift+s, second is the snipping app. The trailing ':' is required, because these are fake URLs that launch the program rather than actual files or links.)

So it's gonna depend on how your mouse button command mapping works. If it's via your mouse drivers trying to launch a file, maybe not. Autohotkey's Run command works fine.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tuyop posted:

I was playing with various ahk scripts today to see about switching audio poo poo around and that was a key combo I was thinking about. :downs:

The only hotkey I have is a simple “right ctrl + numpad 0” that switches my headset & speakers back and forth. Using a very small program called SoundSwitch. My twenty-year old keyboard died last month and the replacement is a 2008-era kb with media functions built in…I can launch like 10 programs from iTunes to Windows Explorer to email now. I was able to clean like eight taskbar-pinned shortcuts off my bar, but I’m still getting used to launching through the kb. Muscle memory takes forever, but at least this kb still has letters and numbers visible on the surface.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I started using Ear Trumpet last year to quickly swap between speakers and headset. I don't have a hotkey for it but it's nice to be able to just click the volume button and swap them.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Medullah posted:

I started using Ear Trumpet last year to quickly swap between speakers and headset. I don't have a hotkey for it but it's nice to be able to just click the volume button and swap them.

Yeah, Ear Trumpet is a fine program. It’s what I used before SoundSwitch as well. Both are free, too!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Medullah posted:

I left-click the volume icon in my taskbar and can select between my speakers and headset. Didn't need anything 3rd party that I can remember, but I had to hide a few audio devices that Nvidia added.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the only real benefits to buying Teams-certified headsets when we were going all-in on MS Teams has been that Teams will default to a certified audio device if one is connected, and the end user doesn't have to do anything. So we just send out headsets, people plug them in, and the next time they make a Teams call it's happening over that. They cost exactly the same as the non-Teams models, at least in the case of the Polycom stuff we've been using.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

I left-click the volume icon in my taskbar and can select between my speakers and headset. Didn't need anything 3rd party that I can remember, but I had to hide a few audio devices that Nvidia added.

Not the op, but with EarTrumpet, you can switch quickly and see where something is playing by right-clicking. The Windows 11 volume switcher doesn't show you which device is currently playing; an extra-click is required to see that compared to Windows 10.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the only real benefits to buying Teams-certified headsets when we were going all-in on MS Teams has been that Teams will default to a certified audio device if one is connected, and the end user doesn't have to do anything. So we just send out headsets, people plug them in, and the next time they make a Teams call it's happening over that. They cost exactly the same as the non-Teams models, at least in the case of the Polycom stuff we've been using.

Hah, I actually thought it was looking for audio devices called "Headset".

(One other benefit is that device mute button mostly will sync with Teams software mute state.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

This works when typed into the run box, but not on a commandline:
ms-screenclip:
ms-screensketch:
(First one is same as win+shift+s, second is the snipping app. The trailing ':' is required, because these are fake URLs that launch the program rather than actual files or links.)

So it's gonna depend on how your mouse button command mapping works. If it's via your mouse drivers trying to launch a file, maybe not. Autohotkey's Run command works fine.

Could you do "start ms-screenclip:" in a command line? I think that's the "open this file/url with the default association" tool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is this EaseUS software humble bundle a good pickup? the disk cloning tool sounds useful in the short term for me, at the bare minimum, and if the other stuff is solidly rated software then I'll grab the lot of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

is this EaseUS software humble bundle a good pickup? the disk cloning tool sounds useful in the short term for me, at the bare minimum, and if the other stuff is solidly rated software then I'll grab the lot of it.

Macrum is free cloning software and works perfectly.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I've used the partitioning and recovery tools. They're pretty decent but just cloning is dirt simple and free with Macrium Reflect. Otoh hand hey it goes to charity. :shrug:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've used a lot of their software and it's all fine. I've had better results with their file recovery than other free apps so we actually have a copy at work.

Can't speak to the other stuff

Also this is all 1 year subscription.

But if you need some of the other stuff, Deployment Manager, etc. Could be worth it. It's certainly cheap.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 30, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Does anyone use Teams as their main phone system and is it any good?
I've connected a SIP trunk and done a little testing and if costings are good it might be a neat softphone solution, as our users all have Teams already.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people are already using Teams then it's fine. If you're trying to shift from an old PBX with desk phones to Teams then the main barriers will be people not wanting to have any changes at all and kicking off every step of the way.

If your calling requirements are light then it's fine - smallish numbers of staff and everybody has a DDI sort of thing. If you're building phone trees and trying to have ring groups it's a lot clunkier.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Ants!

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I need to be able to remotely access the desktop of my mother-in-law who lives in an assisted living facility. Ideally I would be able to access her desktop WITHOUT any input from her since she has a lot of trouble following instructions. Are there any solutions for this situation? Both computers are on Windows 10 if it matters.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jose Cuervo posted:

I need to be able to remotely access the desktop of my mother-in-law who lives in an assisted living facility. Ideally I would be able to access her desktop WITHOUT any input from her since she has a lot of trouble following instructions. Are there any solutions for this situation? Both computers are on Windows 10 if it matters.

I use dwservice a lot. Once the agent is installed, it's hands off and the interface is via browser so you can hit it from anywhere.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Chrome Remote Desktop. I don't remember if Chrome has to be running for it to work, I don't think so.

I make my mom long in and give me her access code every time cause I want her to at least have some security and be explicit about giving up her access, but I set it up for my laptop to access my desktop without any intervention from me on the desktop side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What about just bone standard off the shelf remote desktop protocol? I don't think that requires the other user to accept it, so long as you use a user account + pw in the connection.