Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

khysanth posted:

I'll play all these years of free EGS games once my Steam Deck arrives.

How many email addresses do you have to give out to get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The epic store just triggered my windows defender. Thats new.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

what does Windows defender know about the cost of free games that we dont. :tinfoil:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Specifically, it tries to insert some firewall rules. You'll want to click 'Cancel'.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

astral posted:

Specifically, it tries to insert some firewall rules. You'll want to click 'Cancel'.

EpicWebHelper? What does it do exactly, other than send my metrics to Chynah?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It helps, epically, on the web

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Why do you have the launcher installed when you can redeem the free games on the webpage? You wouldn’t be trying to actually play the games would you?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Nemo2342 posted:

Why do you have the launcher installed when you can redeem the free games on the webpage? You wouldn’t be trying to actually play the games would you?

I have unreal engine installed, and they converted the launcher for that into the store.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How does everyone feel about playing games that were paid for?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

that's also bad

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Pay for... a video game?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
An unplayed game can be perfect, a played game is assuredly not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quill posted:

EpicWebHelper? What does it do exactly, other than send my metrics to Chynah?

Pretty sure that's just the process name for the embedded Chromium browser instance that most of the UI runs on

If you look in Task Manager you'll also see "Steam Client WebHelper" which is the same deal

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can't have a bad time with a video game if you never play it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TGLT posted:

An unplayed game can be perfect, a played game is assuredly not.

Shigeru Miyamoto said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about gaming than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in Smash Bros.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

The launcher tries to lure you into playing the game.

It's awful.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

astral posted:

First thing I did when it popped up. Glad it wasn’t just me that had the pop up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Saoshyant posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about gaming than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in Smash Bros.

Holy poo poo I heard that in the Soldier's voice instantly. and now I'm sad because the VA died of covid.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

HopperUK posted:

Holy poo poo I heard that in the Soldier's voice instantly. and now I'm sad because the VA died of covid.

https://voca.ro/11llfqmOCOAk

15.ai really is no substitute for sentence mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkRj-UcWVM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

Most (but seemingly not all) of the February Amazon Twitch Prime complimentaries have been announced a little early:

Stellaris
Ashwalkers: A Survival Journey
As Far As The Eye
Double Kick Heroes
Golazo! Soccer League
These are up now. Stellaris is a GOG key.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jedi Fallen Order is also still available for now, it seems.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If someone wants to toss me their Stellaris GOG key, send me a PM.

I got this thing where I download the installer, put it on a hard drive somewhere, and that's it. It will absolutely never be played.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Edit: This was supposed to go in the steam gifting thread.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 2, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Yooka-Laylee on EGS this week, which is a dupe so you likely have it. I also have it free on Amazon/Prime gaming.
Windbound next week which I have been off and on about buying for awhile.
So yay on that.
The fact that you cant edit the key config and all the bad reviews have kept me from buying it.
I just want to go sailing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is the second Yooka-Laylee game, The Impossible Lair, which is not a dupe to my knowledge.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the second Yooka-Laylee game, The Impossible Lair, which is not a dupe to my knowledge.
Nah, I already had it from some time ago too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless there was some other free deal on another site that gave an EGS key, I already had it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They gave it away at christmas less than three months after they released it. I don't think it speaks well of it's quality.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Impossible Lair is a pretty good platformer and much better than the first Yooka-Laylee game. It sold like zero units, though, which explains why they grabbed both the Epic and Humble Bundle's deals ASAP.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I remember this one. The gimmick is that you can try the final level almost immediately, but it's really hard without building a buffer of hitpoints first. To gather the hitpoints, you explore an overworld and discover other levels to play first. It's pretty fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mini free game review: I decided to try Loop Hero knowing nothing about it the other day. It was an Epic freebie near the holidays I think. Now, I cannot stop playing it. It basically plays itself and you pause it to do actions. It's an 8 bit looking roguelite (I think this is correct terminology, runs with progression of power between runs that builds) with a card deck and city building and upgrading aspect (power/progression building). It's incredibly good and if you're into roguewhatever games, give it a shot. There's multiple classes and so much stuff to discover in it. I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing but having a blast. I'm considering buying for switch for on the go grinding because it rules.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Switch version gets pretty laggy later on, don't do it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Mini free game review

Thanks for sharing! Imo this thread needs more free game trip reports to help us wade through our giant catalogs.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the spirit of the thread title just as much as the next goon, but I’ll fully admit to dipping into the library for a new game to play every now and then and it’s nice to have recommendations.

If I had more time for projects I’d love to start an EGS freebie book of the month club thread or something

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The one game I’ve played on EGS is the one I paid for, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, and that was a pretty crap experience. Haven’t bothered trying any of the freebies since any of them worth a gently caress I already have on steam.

e: and with a very few exceptions, I haven’t played them on there either.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I just want to say the first Yooka-Laylee is probably one of the worst games I ever played. It completely misses the point of old school 3D platformers. I love how their take on it was well that’s how collectathons were despite everything about Y-L being half assed.

I’m not surprised 2 didn’t sell any units.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's more like a spinoff or a 1.5 game than a sequel, it's not even 3d it's a 2d platformer

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's the donkey kong country to the original's dk64

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yooka laylee 1 was fine for what it was (a spiritual successor to banjo kazooie/tooie specifically instead of just a 3d platformer). yooka laylee country was real fun, and i'd like to see whatever they do next

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's the donkey kong country to the original's dk64

I haven't played any of the early stuff, but I just started trying a few DKC games. I just bought DKC Returns on 3DS because I will be buggered backwards before I put up with Wii controls, and I bought Tropical Freeze for Switch... then realised that I already had it on Wii U despite no memory of buying that version - I can't return the Switch game either. They're fun games, don't get me wrong, but I am kind of embarassed about buying the same game twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kaewan posted:

I just want to say the first Yooka-Laylee is probably one of the worst games I ever played. It completely misses the point of old school 3D platformers. I love how their take on it was well that’s how collectathons were despite everything about Y-L being half assed.

I’m not surprised 2 didn’t sell any units.

It was made by some of the people behind banjo kazooie, too!