Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i go on a car drive to relax myself :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

bike commuting gave me a form of PTSD

lmao Jesus Christ

Karach posted:

it's the internet. what do you think?

you're right I'm sorry

Mayor Dave posted:

i don't know about you but driving is a continuous task for most people

you're allowed to stop whenever you want

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

indigi posted:

you're allowed to stop whenever you want

for a quick little nap?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i straight up love seeing big cars getting hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubYbIJcu9o&t=12s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Sphyre posted:

for a quick little nap?

if you’re a bitch sure

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
love to post in a thread I hate to just be a useless dickwad.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In my country truck drivers have to take 45 minutes break after driving 4.5h and can generally only drive for 9h per day but for a car brained tough guy that is a sure sign for a mental disorder lmao

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bi crimes posted:

Driving through west Texas for ten hours would break my brain. Driving from Austin, to Lubbock and then up to Denver almost killed me with how boring it was. Driving to El Paso also bad and awful. Cars bad

I drove through West Texas and could smell the byproducts of petroleum mining the entire way until I hit Dallas

I never want to smell that smell again

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yeah problem is that y’all are engaging with indigi, don’t do that and the thread will be much better

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

i don't know wtf you're on about, driving for 10 hours is tiring even in a car you're familiar with, let alone when you're driving an unfamiliar car and towing stuff

yeah driving in an unfamiliar vehicle plus having to tow poo poo completely changes everything you're used to about your regular drive and suddenly when all your viewing angles, acceleration, stopping distance etc is changed plus the actual physics of towing poo poo around on top of it yeah i can see why it becomes doubly stressful

I've had to do an 8 hour drive last summer and if I didn't have basically like a series' worth of history podcasts to burn through I don't know how I'd have managed. Had to take a couple of breaks along the way to stretch out my limbs, once for refueling, and all that time I was thinking that I could be facing like 1/4 of the annoyance on a train and next time I'll just fuckin do that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEXGIl-N8E

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I worked in Milwaukee for a couple years so I did the drive from there to Minneapolis several times. The eastern part of Wisconsin is pretty boring, but the western half is actually quite pretty, it's very hilly just because that's where a lot of huge glaciers formed during the ice age, and outside of winter the trees are pretty fantastic. The fall was definitely the best once you got west of Tomah. Not coincidentally, this is also where people start saying pop instead of soda

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I used to drive across western Canada for work. had to visit a lot of farms in the middle of nowhere.

it sort of owns driving a company truck in the summer down endless empty gravel roads. it's so beautifully serene. it's just you and the cloud of gravel dust behind you, and nothing but the fields, rivers, and trees for company.

which is a way of saying that driving a truck was a way to escape the misery of car-filled cities.

I think this is the private, paradoxical romance some people have with their vehicle. it represents an escape from the problems that cars cause.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Karach posted:

I think this is the private, paradoxical romance some people have with their vehicle. it represents an escape from the problems that cars cause.

car companies know it which is why the world of the car commercial is deserted downtown streets, deserted suburban tracts (unless you need to show off a safety feature!), and deserted country roads

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Mr. Sharps posted:

car companies know it which is why the world of the car commercial is deserted downtown streets, deserted suburban tracts (unless you need to show off a safety feature!), and deserted country roads

absolutely. the same goes for tractor ads and whatnot. you're being sold on this emotional relationship with a tool. "look how loving powerful this thing is. it's so turgid with hydraulic fluid and diesel. smell that poo poo. so powerful and veiny. go on, tip over that shipping container full of lead ingots. you know you want to. did you cum yet?"

the reality is that operating these machines is only occasionally amusing. 99% of it is boring and repetitive. but our lives are apparently so dreary that those brief bursts are intoxicating.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

indigi posted:

Jesus have yall been diagnosed with anxiety disorders

indigi posted:

yeah if you need a nap in the middle of a seated noncontinuous ten hour task maybe you have a sleep disorder

i was just tired and it was the middle of the night dude. lol. what's your problem?

indigi posted:

if you’re a bitch sure

clearly I should have continued driving while exhausted in order to not be a little bitch pussy in spite of the well-documented and studied fact that driving tired is similar to driving under the influence. this makes sense to post in the "i hate cars" thread

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jan 27, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

indigi posted:

if you’re a bitch sure

Car culture and misogyny, hand in hand.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karach posted:

absolutely. the same goes for tractor ads and whatnot. you're being sold on this emotional relationship with a tool. "look how loving powerful this thing is. it's so turgid with hydraulic fluid and diesel. smell that poo poo. so powerful and veiny. go on, tip over that shipping container full of lead ingots. you know you want to. did you cum yet?"

the reality is that operating these machines is only occasionally amusing. 99% of it is boring and repetitive. but our lives are apparently so dreary that those brief bursts are intoxicating.

If you can't appreciate the complexity and power of a machine, I suspect you are pretty small minded and consider it more of a magic box then an example of human ingenuity.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can appreciate the engineering that goes into an internal combustion engine, but I can’t appreciate the engineering that goes into stuffing one into a mustang, for example.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you can't appreciate the complexity and power of a machine, I suspect you are pretty small minded and consider it more of a magic box then an example of human ingenuity.

all complex things are good. I get it now.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Truly hate cars and have gone most of my adult life without owning or needing one. Currently planning a move from an awesome downtown apartment out to some blighted car dependent suburb, with the mandatory hateful car purchase, because US society decided to let a dangerous airborne virus spread out of control. Good news though, there's nowhere to go anymore so won't need to drive much.

Anyway have been looking at Zillow for a few days and car dependent development is just so irredeemably ugly. Even worse when you can infer from the surroundings all the perfectly good nature that was replaced with asphalt and squat houses.

edit: the point of this post is that I hate cars and society making me get a car

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jan 27, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
to whoever originally linked this channel, thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPSiUx851Qo

mystes
May 31, 2006

an actual frog posted:

Why do people try to drive through that?!

Edit: Also why do they even keep it open when it's deep enough that there are tons of people literally standing around waiting to see cars fail to make it through for entertainment?!

I like this video because you can see all the people standing around and there are kids cheering, lmao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFRVVAYDB2Q&t=132s

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 27, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Truly hate cars and have gone most of my adult life without owning or needing one. Currently planning a move from an awesome downtown apartment out to some blighted car dependent suburb, with the mandatory hateful car purchase, because US society decided to let a dangerous airborne virus spread out of control. Good news though, there's nowhere to go anymore so won't need to drive much.

Anyway have been looking at Zillow for a few days and car dependent development is just so irredeemably ugly. Even worse when you can infer from the surroundings all the perfectly good nature that was replaced with asphalt and squat houses.

edit: the point of this post is that I hate cars and society making me get a car

I want to try to talk you out of this, but I'm sure you're put enough thought into it that it doesn't matter what I say.

Everyone's still crammed into buildings in the suburbs. There's just lots of wasted space in between the buildings.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nocturtle posted:

I assume you are moving from downtown to the suburbs for some economic reasons, i.e. you can no longer afford to be downtown because of loss of job or whatever and not some kind of misguided self-preservation fantasy.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

an actual frog posted:

lmao this is absolutely precious

all these rich pricks totaling their bmws/land rovers hahaha

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lmao this is absolutely precious

all these rich pricks totaling their bmws/land rovers hahaha

I don't use much Twitter anymore but I do make sure to check in on World Bollard Association from time to time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I assume you are moving from downtown to the suburbs for some economic reasons, i.e. you can no longer afford to be downtown because of loss of job or whatever and not some kind of misguided self-preservation fantasy.

not sure you heard but there’s been a study showing that, like SARS OG, the virus is capable of spreading through ventilation and plumbing in shared housing.

i live in shared housing in a city and always will but right now there isn’t much appealing about city life, which is greatly diminished.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've been in a large apartment building since the pandemic broke out and I haven't caught Covid once :shrug:

Unless you or your loved ones are in a high risk group where any infection vector is too high, the likelihood of catching just from living in multifamily housing seems super low. Don't have data to back that up, though!

I still find it well worth it to live in the city because everything I need is still only at most a 15-minute walk away.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

not sure you heard but there’s been a study showing that, like SARS OG, the virus is capable of spreading through ventilation and plumbing in shared housing.

i live in shared housing in a city and always will but right now there isn’t much appealing about city life, which is greatly diminished.

I had not heard that, do you have a link?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

I had not heard that, do you have a link?

it’s pretty recent and not really conclusive but it tracks with early reports on omicron spreading in an institutional quarantine setting as well as studies on the first sars.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiab598/6505230?login=false

I’m not even going to paste the abstract because you get the idea. this might be more interesting:

quote:

Our study has some limitations. First, we could not detect viable viruses from environmental samples. Second, data regarding contact and exposure history to COVID-19 may be inaccurate because of recall bias. Third, although the investigation into the effects of corridors and stairs in transmission has not been conducted, the possibility is low.

In conclusion, our study suggests that molecular phylogenetic analysis by whole-genome sequencing can be performed to investigate the transmission route. Thus, if the epidemiological evidence of transmission between SARS-CoV-2–infected patients is unclear, whole-genome analysis may help in identifying the transmission route. In addition, our study underlines the importance of appropriate environmental sampling in clarifying epidemiological links among patients.

We demonstrated that this type of aerosol transmission may lead to the persistence of an epidemic in a community. Therefore, to identify and control the modes of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viruses, continuous surveillance and research on aerosol transmission is essential [19]. Moreover, traps are installed in floor drains under the Building Code, but it is necessary to check whether the traps function properly (to check whether the water seal in the trap is being maintained) to prevent transmissions. Also, in facilities vulnerable to infection clusters, such as hospitals and prisons, the structures and ventilation systems should be evaluated and monitored, considering the possibility of aerosol transmission [19, 20].

my apartment and unit are so tiny that my main concern for spread is poor masking in the narrow and unventilated hallway, which blasts a waft of air into the unit whenever I open the door.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Good news, buying a car got a lot more expensive recently! Bad news it's due to the supply chain issues making everything more expensive recently.

quote:

Average New-Car Price Tops $47,000, an All-Time High

By Benjamin Preston, Jeff S. Bartlett
Published October 15, 2021 | Updated January 21, 2022

For the first time ever, the average price of a new car has edged past $47,000, according to a new report from Kelley Blue Book and data from TrueCar, a CR partner that provides market analysis and an online marketplace for cars. Buying a car—just about any car—has been difficult for months now, and new data shows that new cars, like used ones, are costing consumers more than ever. Blame it all on the pandemic and the resulting global semiconductor shortage that has hobbled automakers’ ability to crank out new cars, crimping supply, pushing up prices, and limiting availability.
An average price of nearly 50k for the privilege of sitting in a metal box that you hate? Sounds good, build society around this idea. Note this is the average price, not the median, and is presumably being pulled up by luxury vehicles but still.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want to try to talk you out of this, but I'm sure you're put enough thought into it that it doesn't matter what I say.

Everyone's still crammed into buildings in the suburbs. There's just lots of wasted space in between the buildings.
Don't want to distract from the purity of this thread's completely correct hatred of cars with stuff that belongs in the COVID thread. However living in an apartment with young children is miserable right now and it's not likely to get better any time soon. Suburbs are terrible and definitely have lots of exposure opportunities, but it's a whole different level.

Nope definitely misguided self preservation fantasy. American society will drag everyone down with it no question, but at the very least can stop living in ground zero for every new variant that rolls over this stupid country.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nocturtle posted:

Nope definitely misguided self preservation fantasy. American society will drag everyone down with it no question, but at the very least can stop living in ground zero for every new variant that rolls over this stupid country.

You will regret this!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Oofa, I spent 9k AUD on a second hand yaris a year ago

Can't imagine spending 50k on a car

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jestery posted:

look at this freeloader

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/28/man-driving-for-more-than-70-years-tells-notts-police-ive-never-had-a-licence

quote:

A man stopped by police in Nottingham told officers he had been driving without a licence or insurance for more than 70 years.

Officers on a routine patrol said they were stunned when they pulled over the driver in his 80s in a supermarket car park. The man, born in 1938, told them he had not had a driving licence or insurance since he was 12 years old, and had avoided being stopped by police ever since.

The only appropriate response is to imprison him for the remainder of his life. Tough but fair

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jestery posted:

9k AUD? how much is that in real money?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Jestery posted:

It's even worse:

Here's a bunch of boring information about cars. The point is for the average new car price to come out as ~$50k USD a lot of people must be buying the even more expensive options. Those bloated SUVs that are everywhere apparently cost >$70k on average, had no idea. Surprised there's so much money available to waste on individual vehicles. If it's mainly only rich people that can afford to buy a new car right now it could make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

It's even worse:

Here's a bunch of boring information about cars. The point is for the average new car price to come out as ~$50k USD a lot of people must be buying the even more expensive options. Those bloated SUVs that are everywhere apparently cost >$70k on average, had no idea. Surprised there's so much money available to waste on individual vehicles. If it's mainly only rich people that can afford to buy a new car right now it could make sense.

I got a new 2020 honda Insight for $22k during the pandemic-related gas price drop because Americans have the memory of goldfish and they had a really hard time selling a 50mpg car. It's really nice and I like it. Wished I could commute by train though.