Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I mean if you have to get your money's worth you could try rolling a hunter and just doing story quests on a regular server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Hello Sailor posted:

Isn't Treebeard one of the reduced-xp servers? Don't play on those.

Yeah, that might be an answer. Moria in-era was appealing based on how much people seem to love it, but it might not be worth it.

Captain and LM are also both just kinda ho-hum - I’m trying a Burglar now for “DPS but support if needed” and so far it’s way better at that than Captain or LM.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm tied to my Captain after leveling to 140 with her, but I've never found it to be a very iconic class. You're sort of okay at everything and there's a dude hanging around you with a banner?

I'd love if they leaned into the pet thing a little more and let you summon a dozen dudes who fight with/for you and you buff them or something.

If they ever reimagined the game, bigger battles would be more interesting. Either I have to slowly go and grab 1-3 enemies who stand around waiting for me to pull them (captain), or I wade facefirst through an area and grab as many as I can and burn them down quickly (champ). Not super engaging after a while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It’s probably vanilla as hell but I gotta say I love my champion.

Also have a lvl 70ish guardian I played years back. It’s OK but not nearly as fun as that big goofy champion swinging his 2h sword in circles like a madman.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Glass of Milk posted:

bigger battles would be more interesting

Ahem, they're actually already in the game and they're called epic battles, and they're amazing and everyone loves them and they're a huge feature and a huge success. :smugndar:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

xZAOx posted:

Ahem, they're actually already in the game and they're called epic battles, and they're amazing and everyone loves them and they're a huge feature and a huge success. :smugndar:

Not to be confused with skirmishes, which also had bigger fights and more units on your side (your skirmish minion) as well and is definitely not one of many expansion systems that was immediately abandoned once the next expansion hit. :v:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not to be confused with skirmishes, which also had bigger fights and more units on your side (your skirmish minion) as well and is definitely not one of many expansion systems that was immediately abandoned once the next expansion hit. :v:

Nah, skirmishes were used in TWO expansions (Moria and Mirkwood). That makes them a huge success!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Well, 1.5 expansions

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Nah, skirmishes were used in TWO expansions (Moria and Mirkwood). That makes them a huge success!

Skirmishes were added in Mirkwood and they just made some that took place in Moria (and elsewhere, like Bree and the Shire) weren't they? Like I thought Skirmishes were the main new mechanic in Mirkwood like how Moria added LIs.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Skirmishes were added in Mirkwood and they just made some that took place in Moria (and elsewhere, like Bree and the Shire) weren't they? Like I thought Skirmishes were the main new mechanic in Mirkwood like how Moria added LIs.

The Moria epic requires you to do skirmishes, though? Unless I hallucinated that.

Yeah, looking on the Wiki you have to do three skirmishes in a row in Volume 2 Book 5, which is well inside the Mines of Moria content.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Turbine redid a lot of Moria around the time Mirkwood came out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692193-Bullroarer-Update-32-Beta-4-OPEN

quote:

Class, Race, and Virtue trait slots will now automatically unlock when a character hits the required level, regardless of subscription status or purchase. This does not apply to monster play characters.

This seems like a big change.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

I get the feeling that they're trying to line up their F2P offering to be more in line with modern games. Cosmetics, the LI track, horses and classes/races, but not as much gameplay stuff.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Making all the pre-Moria zones F2P (or really low cost, like 50LP) would probably go a long way.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
"The LI Reward Track is not ready for this build, but we're working hard to get it into the next beta build deployment."

I'd love to hear the developer(s) talk about how off the rails this work has gone, in technical detail.

It was supposed to be launched with the expac, and it's slid until "hopefully with February's patch", and we still don't have concrete info on it (which feels like it may be because the final product keeps changing due to technical challenges, so they just keep hacking something in).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Comrade Koba posted:

Making all the pre-Moria zones F2P (or really low cost, like 50LP) would probably go a long way.

They've done it two years in a row now around Thanksgiving/Christmas, so not much reason not to do a permanent price drop on old quest packs.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
They should definitely do that before the new lotr show drops.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Was on Bullroarer today, and Wardens will actually have good self-heals again once update 32 goes live.

On live, Persevere heals me for 10,000, on test, it heals for 28k. More than triples your total healing compared to live.

The reward track is pretty rough looking, but it provides a good way of getting ancient script other than grinding instances.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CreedThoughts posted:

The reward track is pretty rough looking, but it provides a good way of getting ancient script other than grinding instances.

Woof. For a system that's going to be at least 3 months late, I thought it'd be a lot nicer. Instead it looks like a proof of concept that a dev threw together on their lunch break.

It seems to have a lot of other issues, crappy UI aside. People have been complaining about the RNG and grind to improve their LIs, to be met with "oh, the reward track will help people work on their LIs". Then on the Bullroarer forum, people are complaining about how it's yet more RNG traceries, and they replied with "intentional, this isn't how you're supposed to improve your LIs". Just lol.

I hit 138 last night, and I'm about done with Blood of Azog, heh. I came back at 115, in December, in the iron hills, and I've went through all the zones I'd missed (including the wildwood). Basically to the point where I need to buy Gundabad, but I don't think I will. Lost Ark coming out soon, POE endgame rework...probably going to give LOTRO another break. Might work on some virtue deeds until one of those out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

xZAOx posted:

. Basically to the point where I need to buy Gundabad, but I don't think I will.

IIRC Gundabad's going to be available for lotro bux in like . . . march? May? Something like that, an early-ish month that begins with "M".

Which is to say that if you aren't running head long into a wall and want to play RIGHT NOW you're probably pretty safe just hoarding your tokens as you murder wolves and find ruins etc and doing it that way.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The LOTRO website went down for maintenance and so that they could relaunch a new LOTRO.com. Well, it's past the time when it should be up and the LOTRO site is definitely new and different, but mostly because it shows DDO.

We don't have a Standing Stones emote, and we don't have a Daybreak emote either. But it's good to know the platform team that was pretty inept when I was there more than a decade ago is still kicking and therefore :soe:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

There's a lotro frontpage?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692193-Bullroarer-Update-32-Beta-7-OPEN

quote:

• The Gold restriction has been removed from free and premium accounts. All account types can now have a maximum of 9999 Gold without purchase of the Currency Cap.
  • The benefits of the Premium Wallet Upgrade have now been applied to all accounts. The widest possible assortment of barter currencies, including a variety of instance tokens, region barter tokens, festival tokens, taxidermy barter items, and crafting instance tokens, will now automatically go into the barter wallet for all characters on all accounts.

Oh hey, some more qol for the non-sub accounts.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Surprise, update 32 is out

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-32-release-notes-en
https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-article-legendary-reward-track-en

edit: task items now show where they are turned in. it's the smallest change but man it is a huge QOL addition

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 16, 2022

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They need to give some info to players about the new systems, like the legendary track. I would never have known where to find it unless I read the specific blog post that talked about it.

The free unlocked virtue stuff is a good improvement, too. I'm assuming it's just because nobody was buying that stuff, but it's nice to have. Also free wallet and gold cap lifting.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 16, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Note that since rewards track progress is account-wide, and scales depending on character level, it's way more beneficial to use LI experience items on the lower-level character that can use them. So if you have a level-capped toon and a level 50 alt, for example, mail all the low level runes to the level 50 and use them there.

Also they finally added the missing Tar Bronach quests in Gundabad.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

They need to give some info to players about the new systems, like the legendary track. I would never have known where to find it unless I read the specific blog post that talked about it.

I had to ask in world where the button for it was hiding. I'd say it's kind of shocking that they would make a new system and basically make it nearly unfindable but, you know, LOTRO

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cutedge posted:

I had to ask in world where the button for it was hiding. I'd say it's kind of shocking that they would make a new system and basically make it nearly unfindable but, you know, LOTRO
Not to nitpick, but it is literally in the patch notes you linked. :D

The reward track works pretty well, although at this point it feels like an overcorrect if you've already been working on LI traceries for months. Now I'm completely overflowing with traceries and ancient script that I don't really want because it would mean grinding a ton of runes to level them up to 475. Can use them on alt I guess. :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
But excess traceries => more scripts => more runes though, yeah?

I know that's not the most efficient use of runes, but if you're literally overflowing, is there a reason not to?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

But excess traceries => more scripts => more runes though, yeah?

I know that's not the most efficient use of runes, but if you're literally overflowing, is there a reason not to?
Maybe - although it could be a mechanic i'm not aware of. I'm just saying I don't have the desire to replace a level 475 purple with a level 450 teal because I'd have to spend hours getting enhancement runes for a very minimal gain.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

fenix down posted:

Maybe - although it could be a mechanic i'm not aware of. I'm just saying I don't have the desire to replace a level 475 purple with a level 450 teal because I'd have to spend hours getting enhancement runes for a very minimal gain.

It doesn't de-level your tracery. Putting in a higher level tracery (say, a 450 into a slot you only have leveled to 415) will bump it to 450, but it won't de-level one. The level is tied to the slot, not the tracery.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

It doesn't de-level your tracery. Putting in a higher level tracery (say, a 450 into a slot you only have leveled to 415) will bump it to 450, but it won't de-level one. The level is tied to the slot, not the tracery.
Oh! Good to know, thanks.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, exactly. And the traceries that drop from the rewards track have max level 150, unlike the stuff from the LI conversion process. So the goal is basically to future-proof your LI setup by swapping out the Teal 140s for teal 150s, upgrading to gold when you can.

Annoyingly, this means the purple traceries it throws at you are totally useless, because you're not limited by ancient script, you're limited by cracked/shattered traceries.

Of course this is all due to the fact that they decided to make higher rarity traceries have permanently better stats than lower rarity ones, a.k.a. reintroducing the exact thing that the imbued LI system had been intended to fix in the first place...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I learned to my consternation that there's a daily limit on the advancement of class deeds. That's a frustrating "feature". I thought the UI tracker had bugged out before I searched and discovered the cause.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OhFunny posted:

I learned to my consternation that there's a daily limit on the advancement of class deeds. That's a frustrating "feature". I thought the UI tracker had bugged out before I searched and discovered the cause.

Usually about 1/5th or 1/10th of the total. If you really want to knock them out quickly, there's a buff you can buy from the cash shop that removes the cap and makes all skill uses (and kills for slayer deeds) count double for 90 minutes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Usually about 1/5th or 1/10th of the total. If you really want to knock them out quickly, there's a buff you can buy from the cash shop that removes the cap and makes all skill uses (and kills for slayer deeds) count double for 90 minutes.

I almost have enough points to unlock Rune Keeper, so I'll just deal with it. It just really frustrated me yesterday because I was very close to completing one when I hit the limit.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OhFunny posted:

I almost have enough points to unlock Rune Keeper, so I'll just deal with it. It just really frustrated me yesterday because I was very close to completing one when I hit the limit.

If you haven't already bought the Moria quest pack (normally 1495 points) as a standalone item, you should consider earning or buying enough points to just get the Moria expansion (2495 points). You get both RK and Warden for "free" that way, along with some other stuff.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

If you haven't already bought the Moria quest pack (normally 1495 points) as a standalone item, you should consider earning or buying enough points to just get the Moria expansion (2495 points). You get both RK and Warden for "free" that way, along with some other stuff.

I double checked the store and I picked up the Moria quest pack for 99 points along with all the other expansion quest packs when they were running that big quest pack give away/sale.

edit: I'd like to have a High Elf Rune-keeper. If there's a better way than buying those two directly for 1795 points let me know!

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 21, 2022

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is the store messed up? I wanted that +78% riding thing for my account characters but I don't see stuff that I should see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Is the store messed up? I wanted that +78% riding thing for my account characters but I don't see stuff that I should see

Many of those store items come in little boxes, so check your bags. Also, if you made the purchase on a novice character, then you need to complete the starter area and move on before the trait shows up on the passive skills panel.