Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

nice to see the optimism of the 60s and 70s regarding diseases disappearing is making a comeback

but much like penicillin and the 20 or so antibiotics invented afterwards, i think we'll find out that bacteria, viruses and other pathogens are a lot better at keeping up with whatever we come up with than we are at keeping up with what they come up with

Viruses are a whole different ballgame.

But bacterial resistance to antibiotics was always always going to happen.

Think about where most of our antibiotics come from. Where did penicillin come from?

Yeah, right, it was a bactericide developed by one particular mold species, under selection pressure by bacteria in the soil.

TTBOMK, most antibiotics have similar backgrounds. Which means they, or the chemicals they were derived from, have been part of ordinary soil ecology for most likely tens if not hundreds of millions of years.

And that means that the bacteria on the receiving end have been under selective pressure to evolve resistance to these bactericides for exactly that long: tens if not hundreds of millions of years.

I doubt that I really need to tell anyone here about horizontal genetic transfer. It blew my mind when I first heard about it. But I'm a 70-something old fogie who was taught in his stone-age biology class that genetic information only travels vertically. Sheeeyeah, right. :newlol:

Which means that it was only a matter of time before bugs showing up in hospitals turned out to have received some of the resulting resistance genes. They never really had to evolve them on their own!

What that tells us is that the entire branch of medicine that has been built around antibiotic therapy has been living on borrowed time, ever since Fleming noticed something odd in those Petri dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CPU Abuser posted:

But bacterial resistance to antibiotics was always always going to happen.

when i was a kid 25 years ago, one spoonful of antibiotic syrup was enough to cure bacterial sore throat

now they almost do nothing with a complete course

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You are Worf.

SARS-CoV-2 is the alien of the week.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Louisgod posted:

wearing an N95 and shopping in the evening really makes a huge difference
Ah, yes, the beauty of proper timing. :D

I have to get my clothes washed at a laundromat. Because replacing the hopeless pile of junk that masqueraded as a washer/dryer combo when I bought this townhome simply did not make sense. Doing that right would cost me more than 10 entire years of laundromat washes!

Right around the time Governor Inslee declared our one-and-only lockdown, it occurred to me that just sitting in the laundromat reading while my clothes were getting done was a huge risk.

What to do? Mask? OK, fine. But why not cram down the odds of getting tagged in any other way feasible? Let's get creative here! Waiting in my car, say, instead of in the laundromat proper?

And how about doing my washes at a time when the laundromat had few-to-zero people there in the first place? :newlol:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.24.477490v1

Close relatives of MERS-CoV in bats use ACE2 as their functional receptor

Other CoVs are sitting out there just one mutation away from the next zoonosis. Exciting!

oh geez thats scary

we better collect a bunch of samples and run them through animal studies, some serial passaging through humanized animal tissue

just to be safe

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

23% of Danish child care workers are currently out sick.

But it's not that bad, since the same is true for 30% of the kids.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 28, 2022

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Eh n/m

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Lol if Japanese long lives are from wearing masks and not getting trash jumbled into their DNA constantly by viruses.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I’ve seen people talk about “Covid dreams” itt before and it finally happened to me

I was at school waiting outside a classroom for a professor to show up with other students with my regular mask on and felt like I was suffocating, so then I whipped out something much more intense looking and could breathe easily, and managed to convince one other student to put one of them on as well. then I realized I had exposed myself during the mask swap, got startled, and woke up.

I don’t even own one of those really intense looking masks.

maybe this is a sign.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/BkPhilanthropy/status/1447905391778598913

That’s a lot of boxen.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

The Oldest Man posted:

Looks like cope's back on the menu boys

WSJ posted:

Allysia Finley
Member, Editorial Board, The Wall Street Journal

Allysia Finley is a member of the Journal's Editorial Board.

Ms. Finley joined The Wall Street Journal in 2009 after graduating from Stanford University with a bachelor’s degree in American Studies. During college, she edited the opinions section for The Stanford Review and wrote columns for The Orange County Register.
So I guess we're not talking about an "Edward Holmes" level virologist writing this, now are we?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

thechosenone posted:

Lol if Japanese long lives are from wearing masks and not getting trash jumbled into their DNA constantly by viruses.

Actually this is a very good point. Some of these recent studies showing that diseases we rarely think of, like EBV, do massive long term damage to people, and if you're avoiding getting your DNA turned into a landing pad for every viral genome in existence you're probably better for it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nurses doing thangs

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1487031139072192514?s=21

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol I didn't know about Microcovid. I plugged in my 20 minute biweekly grocery run in an N95 and it's very high risk. hell yeah

I just plugged in a beer run with a p100 and it said high. I don’t know what you’re supposed to do with this thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
MicroCOVID’s model is bad and assumes untruths like respirators are less effective than they truly are and that the virus is spread by spray, not ærosols.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Actually this is a very good point. Some of these recent studies showing that diseases we rarely think of, like EBV, do massive long term damage to people, and if you're avoiding getting your DNA turned into a landing pad for every viral genome in existence you're probably better for it.

me with a jackhammer banging away at support columns at WTC Building 7: Na I'm just making them stronger, dont worry about it, dont be so paranoid

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

So I guess we're not talking about an "Edward Holmes" level virologist writing this, now are we?

i have no idea who that person is but i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that they are 100% a profession hopium manufacturer.

0 basis in reality, all thoughts and opinions orient purely around what they wish to be true despite all exceedingly obvious evidence to the contrary.

a narrative/consent manufacturer tailoring a message to anyone and everyone who doesn't actively consider themselves part of any fringe ideology

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've vaguely heard reports that Omicron BA.2 is two and a half times more infectious, but relative to what? Omicron regular? Delta?

I don't know which reports you are referring to, but here is the Danish risk assessment (from the 22nd; sorry Danish only, the following is a slightly modified auto-translation):

https://www.ssi.dk/-/media/arkiv/su...12022.pdf?la=da posted:

(..)
Status BA.2
In a short time, Omicron has become the dominant variant in Denmark due to its increased growth potential. Worldwide, BA.1 is the most frequent sub-variant, according to GISAID 98%, while BA.2 is approx. 1.6%. BA.1 has been the most frequent sub-variant in Denmark until the beginning of January, but within the last few weeks BA.2 has developed rapidly, and it is estimated that the variant became dominant in Denmark during week 2. BA.2 thus spreads rapidly, and accounts for an ever-increasing proportion of Omicron cases. Preliminary calculations indicate that BA.2 is effectively more than one and a half times more contagious than BA.1. The same pattern with increase in BA.2 - is not seen as markedly in other countries. In the UK, Sweden and Norway, there is also an increase in BA.2 cases, but there are relatively not nearly as many BA.2 cases as in Denmark. The reason for this difference is not yet known, but it may be important that there are differences in vaccination coverage or in contact patterns on the basis of restrictions, population density, etc.
BA.2 differs from BA.1 by several mutations in the spike protein, including in the receptor binding domain (the part of the virus that binds to the airways). It is not yet known what effect these mutations have in relation to infectivity and evasion of immunity after previous infection or vaccination, or severity.
BA.2 was first detected in the Capital Region, but the geographical distribution in recent weeks is similar to the distribution of BA.1 with geographical spread to the whole country, and there is no immediate clear signs of discrepancies between BA.1 and BA.2 in relation to distribution by sex or age. Preliminary analyzes do not suggest that BA.2 is associated with an increased risk of hospitalization. More detailed analyzes of BA.2s infectivity and ability to dodge antibodies after previous vaccination and infection is ongoing.
Considerations about whether one can be infected with BA.1, and then BA.2, are still of a theoretical nature and unclear at present, but SSI follows this in Denmark and internationally.
(..)

Edit:
It doesn't relate to your question specifically, but there is also this fun little nugget of information in the report:

quote:

The number of daily covid 19-related deaths has been rising slightly in recent weeks. So far, there are an average of 13 covid 19-related deaths daily in January 2022 compared to an average of 10 covid 19-related deaths in December 2021 and an average of 6.5 covid 19-related deaths daily in November 2021.
As with the admissions, it is estimated that a greater proportion of covid-19-related deaths will be due to causes other than covid-19 when the incidence is as high as it currently is in society. The number of deaths where a positive SARS-CoV-2 test has been found within 30 days in advance must also be expected to be affected by the high infection rates in society in general, and the number of covid-19 related deaths may be overrated. Data from the monitoring program EuroMOMO at SSI show that a significant excess mortality has been seen in Denmark from week 49 in 2021 to week 1, especially among the 75+ year olds. Similarly, in many European countries a marked excess mortality is seen, not only in the older age groups, but also among people aged 45-64 years. There are no immediate causes for this excess mortality to point to other than the widespread infection with the covid-19 delta variant. As mentioned, the development in excess mortality until the end of December 2021 is primarily assessed to reflect the delta variant, but due to post-registrations, data for recent weeks are uncertain, so whether the development continues now that the infection is primarily driven by omicron can not yet be assessed.

Which refers to this:

As compared to Danish direct COVID deaths in the same period:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 28, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

jetz0r posted:

all the 3m half masks are chonky fuckers, with the secureclick being an absolute unit. a small north 7700 would be my pick for the lightest high quality respirator. it doesn't have any extra plastic shell, just the silicone face piece and the ports for filters and exhaust.

Oh hell yes!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Great headline, disappointing content (the data only runs through the end of December):

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

McCracAttack posted:

Oh hell yes!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Hatebag posted:

Well i hate going in the grocery store because it's full of rear end in a top hat morons like every other place in america so mainly i like the curbside pickup because I don't have to navigate my cart around a bunch of idiot fuckers who walk too god drat slow or just get in the way

There’s this bit on the newer season of mr show where bob odenkirk wins a ski race by some insane amount of time, and it’s because everyone else is like stopping for picnics and naps and he just loving hates skiing so he gets it done really fast so he doesn’t have to be skiing any more, and this is a shocking new idea for everyone.

That’s how I feel in grocery stores. I already know what I want, I usually have an idea of where stuff is and there are signs everywhere if I don’t, it’s extremely unpleasant to be at the grocery store, what are we doing here? Why is it worth it to spend an hour looking at all the products instead of spending that hour doing any other activity? You’ve seen the bread many times, there isn’t some crazy new bread that they just invented that’s better than the bread from before.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

loving finally

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
someone talk me out of (or not) getting a 7700 even when I already have a 6200

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nah it’s good to have a backup. I have both ru8500 and 7600 for just this reason.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's good to try multiple things to see what works. It's also good to have a backup.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

one of the best movies ever

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

For real, though, is there an efficacy difference between the way I had the filters in the first pic vs swept back?

No, they were fine. The twist mount has three identical flanges 120 degrees apart so there are three angles at which the filter can end up. They'll work the same regardless.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:denmark: has now had the U.S. equivalent of a 3 million case day! :coronatoot:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

my respirators are all honeywell because i didn't want a confusing mess of filters from multiple brands. that's the only downside i'd say.

otherwise i have a 7700 and it rocks, buy it.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

SplitSoul posted:

:denmark: has now had the U.S. equivalent of a 3 million case day! :coronatoot:

lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I have a 3m 6000 series (because the 7000 is more than twice the price and I have less than 40 dollars to my name and no income) and it's light as hell actually, especially compared to when I tried a secure click

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/28/1072591923/africa-may-have-reached-the-pandemics-holy-grail

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Uglycat posted:

I still have 800 posts to catch up on, since my shift ended, but

Op didn't say they was anything wrong. OP just took "working at a gas station" as an indication that the worker is poor. And it is.

OP also suggested that, as hosed up as it is, avoiding poor people is a strategy some wealthy folk employ (generally), and that it is a relativity effective way for a wealthy person to avoid covid.

Because wealthy people have concierge doctors, wfh options, and PTO.

OP also poured themselves as from a wealthy family, but has some awareness of social justice, limited perhaps, but far more than your average wealthy person.

Now, OP doesn't mention that the reason new variants spread so fast is because we're still allowing the jet set to wreck the atmosphere globetrotting.

All wars are class wars, covid is no different.

Also, covid splits the PMC. Professors, teachers, librarians, are now poor, as they don't have WFH options, concierge doctors (though they do enjoy insurance) or adequate PTO. Contrast this with similarly paid computer touchers, who are now quite wealthy.

Mastershakeman wasn’t posting about strategies the wealthy use to avoid COVID he was being his normal trying to get attention by saying stupid poo poo self. lmao at defending a post where he drops ‘she got it because she interacted with a poor person, I knew I should have stopped her from interacting with that poor person’.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a recent study that showed if antibiotics treatment is initiated quickly enough then the appendicitis can be taken care of without surgery, just food for thought for all you goons out there during our mild hospital collapse

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven’t tried one of those, but the 6000s seemed kind of miserable to wear once I tried out the silicone on my 7502. The silicone feels a lot better, it fairly jumps onto your face, and it seems like the squishier nature of the material gives a more forgiving seal. The 6200 felt very much like something strapped to my face that would keep being the same shape in the same place if I tried to talk or move my head too much. The 7502 feels more something that moves with me, more like something I’m wearing instead of attaching to myself, if that makes any sense. It’s like the difference between a brand new carhartt jacket and a brand new hoodie, or a brand new work boot versus a nice hiking boot you already broke in.

I’d say do it. Again, can’t speak to the 7700 specifically, but I bet it’s nice, and it’s probably going to feel better than what you’ve got based on what it’s made of. In all probability you’ll just have a nice mask and a less nice mask you’re okay with for backup, and that’s not a bad situation to be in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

I asked this in CANPOL wrt to the insane trucker thing or this new strain of Canadian conservatism that’s clearly imported from the states:

When people say Boomers are getting radicalized on Facebook, how are they using the platform?

I haven’t used it regularly in years, now just for messenger and to put up photos for family not on insta. If I remember, there is still the wall, status updates, likes and comments. I never got a handle on pages or groups, or how people interact with them, I feel like that there wasn’t much there before?

I take it whatever is going on isn’t like scrolling through the feed on instagram and liking your friends’ photos, where are these Boomers running into insane right wing ideology and the cultural resentments of the petty boug? Just their friends posting it within their social circle of ~150 people?

If you curate your Facebook a bit it isn’t hard to keep it just being exactly what you describe. That’s what I do and my feed is just people posting family pictures and life updates, mostly. But if you don’t curate your feed it just fills up with people posting a bunch of super right wing poo poo and bullshit conservative memes.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Things going great at my kid's gifted school. Their staff is fully vaxxed and they have a mask mandate.

Frequently running fewer school buses than required, I've gotten a "someone has covid" email all but maybe 3 days this month, and the principal just sent out an email saying "anyone can be a substitute and if you want to teach here I'll write you a reference letter. The lesson plan is already there, you're a warm body! You'll start in 2 days! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The polymer in the 6100/6200/6300 has flexibility that varies strongly with temperature, which 3M spins as “the longer you wear it, the more comfortable it becomes”, but it also means that it’s less comfortable and perhaps less effective in the cold.