Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How the gently caress are you supposed to choose between these three starters what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to choose between these three starters what the gently caress.

Two are the Wrong Choice and one is Rowlet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m picking it up tomorrow but I peeked at the final evos and it’s gonna be my friend Cyndaquil

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

If you choose wrong Mt. Coronet blows up. Sorry I don't make the rules.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

hatty posted:

I’m picking it up tomorrow but I peeked at the final evos and it’s gonna be my friend Cyndaquil

An artist and a scholar I see.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I picked Cyndaquil but man Oshawott was tempting, it looked absolutely adorable running around and having fun in the water.

I think I need to take some rubbing alcohol to my left joycon because the game is constantly putting me back to walking speed at random times and it makes walking around feel incredibly bad. I assume it's just not registering that I'm pushing the joycon all the way forward and so it's like "Oh you want to walk slowly?" I'm also too used to playing SMTV because I keep wanting to jump around. But nope, no jumping, only crouching.

Also I think the village music kinda sucks. I mean it's not awful, it just gets repetitive after you've heard it for a couple of minutes.

Still having a blast and enjoying the game despite my problems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not too far in yet but game seems decent so far (picked Oshawott as I’ve had decent luck with Water Type starters in the past). I assume there’s some kind of store/Pokémon Center equivalent at the various camps you encounter?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve picked this up and like every Pokemon game I expect to be delighted visually and disappointed mechanically but I would love to be wrong.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I’ve picked this up and like every Pokemon game I expect to be delighted visually and disappointed mechanically but I would love to be wrong.

From my understanding, you might be more delighted mechanically and disappointed visually.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I picked Cyndaquil but man Oshawott was tempting, it looked absolutely adorable running around and having fun in the water.

I think I need to take some rubbing alcohol to my left joycon because the game is constantly putting me back to walking speed at random times and it makes walking around feel incredibly bad. I assume it's just not registering that I'm pushing the joycon all the way forward and so it's like "Oh you want to walk slowly?" I'm also too used to playing SMTV because I keep wanting to jump around. But nope, no jumping, only crouching.

Also I think the village music kinda sucks. I mean it's not awful, it just gets repetitive after you've heard it for a couple of minutes.

Still having a blast and enjoying the game despite my problems.

The Okami soundtrack would work great if you need something to listen to that's fits the theme.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Skeezy posted:

From my understanding, you might be more delighted mechanically and disappointed visually.

Also acceptable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Not too far in yet but game seems decent so far (picked Oshawott as I’ve had decent luck with Water Type starters in the past). I assume there’s some kind of store/Pokémon Center equivalent at the various camps you encounter?

On the map any place with acamp icon has the npc with box/shop/rest option. Some villages with feather you can warp to but don't have the amenities. Instant travel though so whatevs.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Someone said you can catch the other starters in the wild.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh man this game looks bad but it's fun . Wish it didn't look like rear end but I'm having a blast

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

A couple of questions I'm too dumb to figure out.

One, some of the research tasks have red boxes beside them with arrows pointing up. What does this mean? Do they give you more points than the ones with empty boxes beside them?

Two, how do you tell what size your Pokemon is? I got a request from a dude to bring him a Buizel that's bigger than the one he has, but I don't see anywhere where a size is listed. I tried all the ones I caught but he wouldn't take any of them, he said he's looking for one that's bigger than 2' 8". That's a really specific size so I feel like there has to be size info somewhere on a Pokemon's profile, but I don't see it.

I somehow managed to fully complete Shinx's research page despite only catching like three of them, and didn't finish Starly despite the fact I caught six. I know some tasks are worth more points than others but it still feels incredibly arbitrary, like what's the whole "catch 25" of them for then?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh, this game is really cool! Only a couple of hours in but the initial response is very positive. I'm digging it way more than BDSP and SwSh.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Me: ill have an ol battle with this Shinx

The two other shinx nearby: lol loving get stomped on

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

First pokemon I caught after the tutorial was a shiny. Game is good.

Only a couple of hours in but i'm liking the vibes a lot. I can see things getting tedious because if you get right down to it the end goal of the game is "catch 25 copies of each pokemon and see them all battle a bunch" but right now game's cool. I've encountered some solid mons ran scared from a lvl 40 Rapidash and although its still early I can see how a lot of the systems seem to interact well with exp all which is nice to see.

Maybe the novelty will ware off but it's cool to see Gamefreak doing something largely unique and pretty removed from the mainline games. Glad Pokemon is again at the point where they are willing to do weird spinoffs like this and Snap 2 because there was a point a few years ago where I feel they weren't doing any side games at all.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Only a couple of hours in but i'm liking the vibes a lot. I can see things getting tedious because if you get right down to it the end goal of the game is "catch 25 copies of each pokemon and see them all battle a bunch" but right now game's cool. I've encountered some solid mons ran scared from a lvl 40 Rapidash and although its still early I can see how a lot of the systems seem to interact well with exp all which is nice to see.

Maybe the novelty will ware off but it's cool to see Gamefreak doing something largely unique and pretty removed from the mainline games. Glad Pokemon is again at the point where they are willing to do weird spinoffs like this and Snap 2 because there was a point a few years ago where I feel they weren't doing any side games at all.

Here's hoping they read the positive feedback and start implementing some of the better features.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be clear, the goal is the Pokedex and you complete a monster's entry by filling out ten of the tabs out of, like, 25, with the up to 25 catches being five of them. It's not something you actually have to do for completion outside of filling up every tickbox, I guess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

A couple of questions I'm too dumb to figure out.

One, some of the research tasks have red boxes beside them with arrows pointing up. What does this mean? Do they give you more points than the ones with empty boxes beside them?

Two, how do you tell what size your Pokemon is? I got a request from a dude to bring him a Buizel that's bigger than the one he has, but I don't see anywhere where a size is listed. I tried all the ones I caught but he wouldn't take any of them, he said he's looking for one that's bigger than 2' 8". That's a really specific size so I feel like there has to be size info somewhere on a Pokemon's profile, but I don't see it.

I somehow managed to fully complete Shinx's research page despite only catching like three of them, and didn't finish Starly despite the fact I caught six. I know some tasks are worth more points than others but it still feels incredibly arbitrary, like what's the whole "catch 25" of them for then?

The tasks count for two points towards the ten.

You see it by looking up the Pokemon's summary. It's not actually easy to see it or to figure out which one is big for turning in the quest. :v: which of course is a pretty glaring oversight given how early that quest is, too. dialog withstanding you rarely actually get anything good for a request (usually it's like 7 berries, which you can get out of a single tree so lmao) so feel free to skip annoying ones

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Boba Pearl posted:

You pick Cyndaquil, that's how.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm really hoping some of the cool things in here get put in whatever the Gen 9 game is and not just left to "this is only for spinoffs".

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
This might be the ugliest game I've played in a long time but drat it's fun

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The main town music sounds like something from Phoenix Wright.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Skeezy posted:

The main town music sounds like something from Phoenix Wright.

I think the new composer worked on the great ace attorney

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I think the new composer worked on the great ace attorney

Just had to go and confirm this and you're right, that explains it. I love it personally.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So the goon hivemind is aligning with the reviews of the game? I can't decide if I should just go try and buy Arceus tonight or not. Sword bored me to the point of not finishing it and this sounds 180 out from it (more exploring than battling).

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Turbinosamente posted:

So the goon hivemind is aligning with the reviews of the game? I can't decide if I should just go try and buy Arceus tonight or not. Sword bored me to the point of not finishing it and this sounds 180 out from it (more exploring than battling).

So I played Sword for about three hours and then quit because it was very talky. This game is also very talky and about a hour in I still don't have free control. So heads up.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Arceus at least has the excuse of changed mechanics. 2 tutorials on catching was a little much though.

After the first main expedition you're pretty much set free though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Turbinosamente posted:

The general concensus I've seen from around the internet is that game is good, graphics not great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s more focused on the catching aspect of the franchise then the battling one (and from what I hear there’s only a small handful of trainer fights in this game including the first phase of the final boss) but so far I’m having fun with it at least.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is it true that they had to model 242 different death animations for your character, one for each Pokemon in the game, so that your character can get realistically eaten by bugs or mauled by a bear?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I still tolerate early 3D games so subpar graphics are no problem for me. And it wasn't the talky ness that put me off Sword: it was that the plot was dull/distant. Not enough hooks to keep me engaged I suppose, and having semi-spoiled the ending it sounds underwhelming. And once you have an extra lightweight plot all you're left with is the battles and I am not a person who plays RPGs for the battle mechanics alone, especially if they're turn based and menu driven. I am aware of the hype over the mechanical changes in Arceus, I guess it lives up to it?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I still tolerate early 3D games so subpar graphics are no problem for me. And it wasn't the talky ness that put me off Sword: it was that the plot was dull/distant. Not enough hooks to keep me engaged I suppose, and having semi-spoiled the ending it sounds underwhelming. And once you have an extra lightweight plot all you're left with is the battles and I am not a person who plays RPGs for the battle mechanics alone, especially if they're turn based and menu driven. I am aware of the hype over the mechanical changes in Arceus, I guess it lives up to it?

All the cool plot beats in Sw/Sh happening just off-screen all the time was pretty loving maddening.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All the cool plot beats in Sw/Sh happening just off-screen all the time was pretty loving maddening.

Even some of the ones that happen on screen lack impact. Like Bede and Marnie are barely there and it's all about Hop's crisis of faith. Granted I stopped at Marnie's town so I may not have seen her whole arc, but I was expecting her to be a bigger rival.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like some of the side quests as world building stuff even though the rewards mostly suck.

The drifloon quest in particular hints at the origin of the myth that drofloon captures children.

Also the town bidoof quest is cute.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oof I wasted all five of my heavy balls trying to catch that alpha Luxio, even hitting its back it broke out of them. I'm guessing unless catch rate is somehow based on your rank, alpha Pokemon are going to need to be worn down through battle and aren't going to be catchable just throwing balls.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The tasks count for two points towards the ten.

Ah okay, that makes sense, and that explains how I maxed out Shinx doing very little but not Starly despite doing more. I also noticed the game is still counting research tasks I've done even if I've filled out the research level, I'm guessing that's just for money/rank point purposes though, but I suppose there could be extra bonuses for completely filling out all a Pokemon's research tasks (probably not though, knowing Gamefreak :v: ).

quote:

dialog withstanding you rarely actually get anything good for a request (usually it's like 7 berries, which you can get out of a single tree so lmao) so feel free to skip annoying ones

I'm a JRPG player, doing annoying sidequests for piddly, minimal rewards is my bread and butter, plus seeing it uncompleted in my list would really bother me. I'm going to assume again though that there isn't any sort of reward for doing every request in the game, because Gamefreak.

Eevees seem super rare but I've still lucked out and managed to grab two of them. They even have pretty good natures, as opposed to 70% of all the other Pokemon I've caught so far which have speed decreasing natures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for future reference, how do you get your hands on stuff like elemental stones and the link cable? Are there shops that sell them and/or can you find items out in the field like in other Pokémon games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oof I wasted all five of my heavy balls trying to catch that alpha Luxio, even hitting its back it broke out of them. I'm guessing unless catch rate is somehow based on your rank, alpha Pokemon are going to need to be worn down through battle and aren't going to be catchable just throwing balls.

You can't catch alpha pokemon when you first start the game period. Go get some stars first.
Video explaining Alpha pokemon mechanics