Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
metal bat is only there to make garou look better. there were already enough characters filling that role that i'm not sure why one more popped in out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Because otherwise you'd write the same post about why metal bat didn't show up and do his part.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Because otherwise you'd write the same post about why metal bat didn't show up and do his part.

Probably not, the webcomic doesn't have him show up because he's in the hospital still.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Bat still shouldn't be here. He should be elsewhere dealing with that 100 rogue cells of Black Sperm running around.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Ages ago in an interview One said this whole shebang would be different if Metal Bat showed up so I guess he's exploring what that would actually be now he's got the chance.

Also, Gauro and Metal Bat have the best dynamic (along with all the other best dynamics)

Popo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 28, 2022

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think sometimes people forget this is a joke comic.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I didn't think the character progression was that hard to follow, though this has been drawn out enough that people may forget the details. Garou, at the nadir of his angst, disappears up his rear end, abandons the kids, and monsterizes. Later, Bang manages to get through to him, even literally cracking through the shell in one of the most obvious visual metaphors you can imagine. He was aided on that path by seeing just how much worse monsters can get with the bullying. So at this current point in his life, he still doesn't particularly trust or like anybody, but he's at least reset to the point where he can at least recall why he got set on his path in the first place.

Metal Bat's participation, while cool on the surface, is possibly being done in order to draw parallels (has a kid sister he looks out for, etc.) and, by recognition of their commonalities, bring Garou back even further, etc. etc. and my problem is it all seems kind of predictable at this point. Like, the series used to routinely deflate and poke fun at this kind of thing. Saitama would be confronted with a series of big monsters eager to share their elaborate, sturm-und-drang-filled backstories which he absolutely did not give a poo poo about hearing. Punch time, it's over. Now it feels like we're living through one of these backstories. I'm still interested to see if they can pull off an interesting subversion but it's not looking likely at this point.

In short,

Gologle posted:

I think sometimes people forget this is a joke comic.

I hope ONE and Murata don't forget, either

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I like the way this is unfolding, where the current scale of the monster threat is now at a level where ONLY Garou and Saitama can be effective. We always knew that, deep down, Garou was a good person who wants to defend the innocent. He just hated the arrogance, pride, and hypocrisy of heroes. The story is doing a great job of bringing the audience to his side: The S Class heroes have been shown over and over to have deep personal flaws that have effectively lead to their complete failure on this mission. And Garou is achieving his childhood dream in a meta-way: the audience, seeing his story, is now rooting for the monster over the heroes.

My prediction is that both Garou and Saitama will both struggle with their respective opponents (I don't think Saitama killed Evil Ocean Water, and I think he'll have to be creative to come up with a way to stop it), and the story will highlight their similarities while giving Garou another opportunity to level up - just in time for their final match.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 28, 2022

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bucswabe posted:

My prediction is that both Garou and Saitama will both struggle with their respective opponents (I don't think Saitama killed Evil Ocean Water, and I think he'll have to be creative to come up with a way to stop it), and the story will highlight their similarities while giving Garou another opportunity to level up - just in time for their final match.

Alternatively once again Saitama is so loving powerful he has obliterated Evil Ocean Water (the centipede said so) and it will be missed again because no one really saw him do it.

I think it will take them both to punch down the giant centipede tho.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm just annoyed another centipede popped out of nowhere. Like, earlier in the arc the MA were complaining about the loss of that other giant centipede (and I think the martial artist monster too), so why were they complaining if this centipede was available?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just annoyed another centipede popped out of nowhere. Like, earlier in the arc the MA were complaining about the loss of that other giant centipede (and I think the martial artist monster too), so why were they complaining if this centipede was available?

I dunno, I think it's pretty funny that every big boss is just increasingly larger centipedes with more and more faces.

e: also goobers not knowing there was a bigger centipede makes sense if the last big centipede didn't tell them about it and this was all a plan by the centipedes from the beginning.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 28, 2022

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Bucswabe posted:

I like the way this is unfolding, where the current scale of the monster threat is now at a level where ONLY Garou and Saitama can be effective. We always knew that, deep down, Garou was a good person who wants to defend the innocent. He just hated the arrogance, pride, and hypocrisy of heroes. The story is doing a great job of bringing the audience to his side: The S Class heroes have been shown over and over to have deep personal flaws that have effectively lead to their complete failure on this mission. And Garou is achieving his childhood dream in a meta-way: the audience, seeing his story, is now rooting for the monster over the heroes.

Hey. Tatsumaki’s only flaw was being slightly not powerful enough to kill a big bad and then ANOTHER big bad.
She did her best and did it well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The one thing that annoys me boiling OPM to a joke comic is that it is also so much more. It's a man who is petrified of his own sham of a career being found out, but trying to rise to the occasion. It's a woman that is slowly learning to trust and rely on others, while her sister does the exact opposite by relying on a gang so much she begins to stagnate herself.

It shows the heroism of a man who is just a man without a license getting the poo poo beaten out of him by a gently caress-off huge fish in a banana hammock just to buy time for the defenseless. It demonstrates the humanity of monsters who find themselves in bad situation not because of their character or personality but their unfortunate circumstances. A bullied child rises above it all, oils his way to greatness and becomes a beacon that there is a chance for a better life for kids in bad situations.

It then shows a hero in a dog costume who won't leave his territory, an increasingly absurd number of long legged bugs, surfing ships and introducing me to new, uncomfortable interests in muscle women, thighs and watermelons. Finally a dude who can punch real good.

I love Saitama a lot, but I'd argue the best moments aren't when he jobs someone so hard he alters landscapes. It's all the moments folks rise to the occasion when they really shouldn't and it's all wrapped up as a joke comic.

So yea I like Garou's silly face on the helicopter.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

you did see saitama surf an aircraft carrier this same chapter right

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

The one thing that annoys me boiling OPM to a joke comic is that it is also so much more. It's a man who is petrified of his own sham of a career being found out, but trying to rise to the occasion. It's a woman that is slowly learning to trust and rely on others, while her sister does the exact opposite by relying on a gang so much she begins to stagnate herself.

It shows the heroism of a man who is just a man without a license getting the poo poo beaten out of him by a gently caress-off huge fish in a banana hammock just to buy time for the defenseless. It demonstrates the humanity of monsters who find themselves in bad situation not because of their character or personality but their unfortunate circumstances. A bullied child rises above it all, oils his way to greatness and becomes a beacon that there is a chance for a better life for kids in bad situations.

It then shows a hero in a dog costume who won't leave his territory, an increasingly absurd number of long legged bugs, surfing ships and introducing me to new, uncomfortable interests in muscle women, thighs and watermelons. Finally a dude who can punch real good.

I love Saitama a lot, but I'd argue the best moments aren't when he jobs someone so hard he alters landscapes. It's all the moments folks rise to the occasion when they really shouldn't and it's all wrapped up as a joke comic.

So yea I like Garou's silly face on the helicopter.

It's really interesting to me to see how Saitama simply interacting with others is having a profound effect on them, and driving their characters arcs of self-improvement. Saitama himself is getting some interesting God-like treatment: the way both him and "God" got coloured pages/panels; and in this chapter Saitama walking on water and "splitting" the ocean. I have to assume this is all intentional towards a plan for the story.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
what if god was one of us

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

bacon flaps posted:

you did see saitama surf an aircraft carrier this same chapter right

Hell yeah, and like I said I hope they don't forget so we can continue to see more of that.

It's just that the Garou arc seems so stretched out relative to other arcs, especially for what seems to be a much more conventional character arc. OPM has done such a good job of juggling a wide cast of all sort of flawed, dopey, off-kilter damaged characters who slowly turn themselves around via their association with Saitama, but so much weight has been thrown behind this particular one for so long that I'm afraid it's taking on its own gravity. As it is, it feels like the gags are cleared more off to the side to make room for the heightened action and drama.

And don't get me wrong, it's still great stuff: the art and action? Still phenomenal. The gags? Still funny as hell. But it has lost a bit of its equilibrium along the way. It has been taking a different direction from the webcomic and that's okay, I enjoy it for what it is. Just hope it doesn't move too far that it starts taking itself really seriously.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Saitama literally surfed an aircraft carrier in this chapter.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Bucswabe posted:

(I don't think Saitama killed Evil Ocean Water, and I think he'll have to be creative to come up with a way to stop it)

Agreed on the first point, we've seen ENW obliterated to a far greater degree when Darkshine punched it. There's no reason to take the centipede at its word. If I had to guess what will happen, Saitama will do the same spins he used against Suiryu to create a tornado which will draw in ENW, creating a water spout above Saitama that he can punch into space. Not really sure what else you could do to water other than completely evaporate it, and neither Saitama nor Garou shoot beams so punching it is.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey. Tatsumaki’s only flaw was being slightly not powerful enough to kill a big bad and then ANOTHER big bad.
She did her best and did it well.

This is a great point, and what I like so much about the writing in this series. Each of the heroes are truly heroic in their own ways - it's just that they've never been tested by opponents that actually surpass their abilities. This is revealing that while heroes do want to protect others, they are also in some ways motivated by their own egos. Darkshine and Flashy Flash were specifically called out for falling to pieces once their pride was damaged. Tatsumaki, I would say, is emblematic of the over-confidence and sense of invincibility that the S class had up to this point in the story.

The fight against the cadres should be a very humbling experience

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

This is a great point, and what I like so much about the writing in this series. Each of the heroes are truly heroic in their own ways - it's just that they've never been tested by opponents that actually surpass their abilities. This is revealing that while heroes do want to protect others, they are also in some ways motivated by their own egos. Darkshine and Flashy Flash were specifically called out for falling to pieces once their pride was damaged. Tatsumaki, I would say, is emblematic of the over-confidence and sense of invincibility that the S class had up to this point in the story.

Genos especially excels in this kind of ego death because he gets torn to pieces all the time. Can't be overconfident if you're beta testing new limbs while fighting for your life!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Bucswabe posted:

Tatsumaki, I would say, is emblematic of the over-confidence and sense of invincibility that the S class had up to this point in the story.

And even in spite of that, she was able to see through the fake Blast's offer, which probably would have been the greatest temptation to her. The real Blast's subsequent compliment was spot on, and it was :3: to see how she took it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Not really sure what else you could do to water other than completely evaporate it, and neither Saitama nor Garou shoot beams so punching it is.

And the guy that can is currently modern art!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if there's anything that can "kill" water, it's a Serious Punch. I 100% believe ENW is dead forever

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

if there's anything that can "kill" water, it's a Serious Punch. I 100% believe ENW is dead forever

Its fully intact eyes were still floating around in subsequent panels. It's still alive, it just needs some time to reform itself.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Bucswabe posted:

It's really interesting to me to see how Saitama simply interacting with others is having a profound effect on them, and driving their characters arcs of self-improvement. Saitama himself is getting some interesting God-like treatment: the way both him and "God" got coloured pages/panels; and in this chapter Saitama walking on water and "splitting" the ocean. I have to assume this is all intentional towards a plan for the story.

I never read the web comic and didn't know who god was until the recent chapters, so at the part where the mural revealed god towering above the monster king I thought that was supposed to be a silhouette of Saitama.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 28, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

serious gaylord posted:

Saitama literally surfed an aircraft carrier in this chapter.

Lightning Fastman's sword blade cameoing in a piece of rubble is a joke, that Saitama bit was just a cool set piece. For better or worse, the manga has had a lot more cool set pieces than jokes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Schwarzwald posted:

Lightning Fastman's sword blade cameoing in a piece of rubble is a joke, that Saitama bit was just a cool set piece. For better or worse, the manga has had a lot more cool set pieces than jokes.

i was reading through the chapter while ostensibly in a zoom training meeting, and when i got to that spread i had to bite by lip to keep from laughing on camera. so i guess i respectfully disagree

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
best cover

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
OPM has always had comedy but it's not the only thing it has going on and anyone who shoots down discussion of its failings is missing the bigger picture.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This chapter was mostly comedy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I dunno, punching the ocean in half and using an aircraft carrier to surf the resulting wave doesn't seem like a bit to me. He even calls it his Serious Punch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Saitama part probably had less jokes than the Garou & Metal Bat bits

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Holy poo poo this chapter was loving astounding. Complete perfect fusion. Awesome art, awesome action, awesome jokes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpacePig posted:

I dunno, punching the ocean in half and using an aircraft carrier to surf the resulting wave doesn't seem like a bit to me. He even calls it his Serious Punch.

The surfing was definitely a bit. It was also a cool setpiece moment, but it was a gag for sure.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

King of Solomon posted:

The surfing was definitely a bit. It was also a cool setpiece moment, but it was a gag for sure.

No Saitama surfing a loving carrier was definitely a really serious moment in a really serious manga.

Also, Garou is a super serious super evil person and not a stupid teen who wants to play badass due to his half baked philosophy.

I really don't get how the hell someone reads this chapter and goes "wow OPM is kinda bad"

Oh yeah, I forgot: The giant monster that got one punched by Saitama is definitely not dead. This is a sensible conclusion to reach in a series called loving ONE PUNCH MAN.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot: The giant monster that got one punched by Saitama is definitely not dead. This is a sensible conclusion to reach in a series called loving ONE PUNCH MAN.

Hey, it's happened before. Boros, Orochi. If this keeps up it's gonna become a recurring problem.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna sue Murata and ONE for false advertising

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, it's happened before. Boros, Orochi. If this keeps up it's gonna become a recurring problem.

They all died as soon as they got hit with a Serious Move though. ENW ain't getting back up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Brandfarlig posted:

No Saitama surfing a loving carrier was definitely a really serious moment in a really serious manga.

Also, Garou is a super serious super evil person and not a stupid teen who wants to play badass due to his half baked philosophy.

I really don't get how the hell someone reads this chapter and goes "wow OPM is kinda bad"

Saitama surfing a carrier isn't a serious moment at all, but it also isn't much of a gag. Like, if Bigger, Eviler Water was presented as a legitimate threat menacing S Class Heroes for a while before being effortlessly taken down by someone outside their number, that would be a solid gag (Seaking and Boros were this, and this is pretty much what Garou does with Normal Sized Evil Water). If Bigger, Eviler Water shows up for one panel to be act scary before getting immediately KO'ed, that would be a solid gag of a different sort. Instead, Bigger, Eviler Water is at this uncomfortable middle, where it's presented at a legitmate threat but also is effortlessly killed before it does anything that would change the stakes of the story. It was there just to highlight Saitama's strength and give him a cool moment... which falls flat when you compare it to anything Tatsumaki or Psykos did a few chapters ago. The take away is that Saitama is strong and cool, but not that much more so than any of the other heavy hitters.

(Also, "here are new baddies that are just stronger versions of old baddies -- oh wait they're already dead" is a joke the series has already done as a joke several times. The manga has primed its audience not to take these new monsters seriously, who's it trying to fool in making the new centipede and water monsters threatening?)

Garou's part of the chapter has similar problems. His childish beef with Metal Bat undercuts the drama of his character. It's like the manga is saying not to get too worried about things because Garou is still a good boy at heart :angel: which kind of sucks both no poo poo, but also because it deflates and concern and it's enjoyable to be a little worried.

The chapter reminded me of the Ninja Twins / Phoenix Man chapters: beautifully illustrated and choreographed yet somehow still completely dull.