Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thehoodie posted:

I've just moved to a place that actually has enough kitchen space to contemplate fermenting/making my own sauces. Is there a "babby's first hot sauce" guide somewhere I can look at?

Do you have a vacuum sealer and bags to ferment in or will you need to do it in jars? Recipes will be similar, but you'll add water to the jars to keep the peppers in an oxygen free environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

thehoodie posted:

I've just moved to a place that actually has enough kitchen space to contemplate fermenting/making my own sauces. Is there a "babby's first hot sauce" guide somewhere I can look at?

Habanero, bell pepper, garlic, carrot is a pretty fool proof recipe.

Get a kitchen scale. Get some canning salt (I think kosher salt might work as well?). Get some mason jars, and zip lock sandwich bags

Weigh your jar on your scale. Put the ingredients in your jar and filled it with water. Now dump that water into another vessel and weigh the jar with ingredients in. Subtract the weight from that weight. Now your ingredients final weight, you want to add 2% of it in salt to your water. So say 400g of ingredients you want to add 8 grams of salt. Put the brine water back in, throw a zip lock bag over the top and press it down until everything is submerged, then fill the top with water to keep it down. Loosely fit the Mason jar lid on to keep the bag in place. Let fermented for 2 weeks!

I've had huge success doing sliced Jalapeño chips, garlic, Shallot, and a bay leaf or two. I don't even turn it into hot sauce, just munch on them. Delicious.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

Jhet posted:

Took some time and finished up my sauces for the season. Almost 13 bottles, but I left the orange in the middle thicker. Left is the vinegar sauce, the right two are the bags I posted pictures of up thread. I’m glad I did it in my garage, it’s inching towards chemical warfare in here.

Vinegar sauce is tasty, but the other two are the stars. Fermentation just takes the edge off and let’s the flavors shine.

Do you just put the jars with the caps on straight in the immersion circulator? I stupidly tried to pasteurize them in boiling water and the caps shot off the tops of the bottle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ramms+ein posted:

Do you just put the jars with the caps on straight in the immersion circulator? I stupidly tried to pasteurize them in boiling water and the caps shot off the tops of the bottle.

I do, yes. Because the temp is lower they stay put. Water up to just over the cap. I tried to boil them the first year I did it and they boiled straight off. It makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it. 150F for just over an hour worked great.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Just as easy as a tincture make some pepper tequila. The longer it soaks the spicier it gets.

I remember adding cardamom pods and star anise to my Trinidad scorpion ferment, and finished with carrot.

Some say shallots give a better onion flavor than onion in one as well.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Hey thread, I have a colleague whose house burned down recently and he lost his massive hot sauce collection. We're all buying bottles to kickstart his next one. Does anybody have any suggestions for sauces that a collector would appreciate? Bonus points if they're Chinese or East African.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Notahippie posted:

Hey thread, I have a colleague whose house burned down recently and he lost his massive hot sauce collection. We're all buying bottles to kickstart his next one. Does anybody have any suggestions for sauces that a collector would appreciate? Bonus points if they're Chinese or East African.

There's not a lot of Chinese hot sauces around that I've seen, there's chao zhou sauce, but it's still just a hot oil. Hot oils and dipping chile powders are more common. Peri-peri peppers and Fatalii are native to Africa, so sauces with these peppers are going to be the right profile. Matouks is really good, and while Caribbean there's some unfortunate cross over in flavors.

As for where to buy, here's a few places I've bought from before, and others will have some other spots too.

https://heathotsauce.com/
https://www.dochotties.com/
https://heatonist.com/

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Tried this Midsummer Flagship sauce from Stavanger, Norway. It's interesting that it's made with habaneros grown here (inside, I assume). It's very expensive, but the presentation is nice. The sauce itself is very pineapple forward, quite thin in consistency. Tasty, but not hot at all.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Has some of the most unfamiliar ingredients(chickpea miso is absolutely a new one on me in any context) to it out of all sauces to date----but is also now probably my favorite sauce~

https://www.seedranchflavor.com/products/truffle-hound

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Thanks y'all, that was helpful - I want to get that Norwegian sauce but the shipping will take a while so I went with some lucky dog sauces from heathotsauce

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Has some of the most unfamiliar ingredients(chickpea miso is absolutely a new one on me in any context) to it out of all sauces to date----but is also now probably my favorite sauce~

https://www.seedranchflavor.com/products/truffle-hound

Where is this at heat wise? I normally don’t go for ghost pepper-level stuff, but this looks like it might be pretty mild as those go with the other stuff in it?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
My go-to smokey flavor hot sauce is usually the El Yucateco XXXtra hot Mayan stuff. It's super cheap and in most grocery stores ive been in.

It's mainly habeneros though so it's a huge step up in heat from Tabasco.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

The best chipotle sauce in the history of the world was made by me, and you can make it too. Just take a couple of cans of good chipotles en adobo, and blend them up with however much cider vinegar you need to thin it out. Blend it for way longer than you think you need, otherwise you'll get seeds clogging your bottle. Or you could be fancy and strain it.

San Marcos is the best brand I have found by a pretty decent margin, followed by Goya. They are the least sweet. Many brands are way too sweet, so look at the nutrition facts for sugar content.

The adobo sauce has just enough other seasonings to provide depth, without outshining the chipotles. No cumin bombs.

It lasts forever in the fridge since it's plenty acidic. I 100% always have a squeeze bottle of it ready to go. I like it fairly thick so it doesn't run off of stuff, but if you want it thinner, just add a little more cider vinegar/water. If you want it hotter, just add a few drops of whatever stunt Dave's hot sauce or the like, that you can find.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Anno posted:

Where is this at heat wise? I normally don’t go for ghost pepper-level stuff, but this looks like it might be pretty mild as those go with the other stuff in it?

Milder than you'd think for Ghost Pepper is a good way to think about it---the kick is absolute, and somewhat lasting on top, but the sort where you are inclined to keep adding a bit more each time as opposed to the A Dab'll Do Ya paradigm.

The bottle itself imparts Gestalt, as it is the open style cap rather than something akin to a dropper---so even if you try to only put a tiny bit, you are primed to fail* and thus the enjoyment can escalate.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
An article came up today with some depressing interesting information on further commercial hot sauce consolidation, condiment competition, and branding. Mostly on-topic for this thread since Frank's and Cholula are rather popular here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022-mccormick-franks-cholula-hot-sauce-supremacy/

I, for one, will go down kicking and screaming clutching a bottle of Tabasco family reserve.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Pioneer42 posted:

An article came up today with some depressing interesting information on further commercial hot sauce consolidation, condiment competition, and branding. Mostly on-topic for this thread since Frank's and Cholula are rather popular here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022-mccormick-franks-cholula-hot-sauce-supremacy/

I, for one, will go down kicking and screaming clutching a bottle of Tabasco family reserve.

Ehhhh...there are enough small/specialty/local hot sauces that it's not difficult to just avoid the major names altogether. Of the sauces I've bought in the last year, probably the most prominent name is Crystal. The biggest challenge is going to be keeping shelf space in grocery stores, but it's in their best interest to stock more than just McCormick products.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ehhhh...there are enough small/specialty/local hot sauces that it's not difficult to just avoid the major names altogether. Of the sauces I've bought in the last year, probably the most prominent name is Crystal. The biggest challenge is going to be keeping shelf space in grocery stores, but it's in their best interest to stock more than just McCormick products.

My grocery stores don't have much that's interesting anyway. It's mostly from the same providers and there's probably 6-7 large market hot sauce companies with bottles on shelves. Most of the stuff I buy is via the internet. I buy maybe 1 bottle each of the standard mild hot sauces in a year. McCormick isn't going to actually be in the hot sauce market anyway, they're just going to set up camp in the mild sauce division which was already dominated by a bunch of big names.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
This looks like a really good idea, ferment your chilies in honey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGGTvIoGoo

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Feels like his Charlie Kelly energy has gone up exponentially.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
In addition to fermenting your peppers with honey, it's also a great idea to ferment your honey with peppers.

IIRC there was a year where someone brought a ghost pepper mead to the mazer cup that was on the order of one pepper per 375 ml bottle or so, and it just annihilated all the non-chiliheads. I couldn't track down that story with a quick google search, but I did see that Moonlight Meadery took a gold medal with a habanero/ghost/scorpion semisweet a few years back.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hot honey on pizza is an incredible combination.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I ain't ever planted peppers before, but I wanna. Is now a good time to?

I live in California which is basically a desert at this point so I'm sure peppers might thrive here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

I ain't ever planted peppers before, but I wanna. Is now a good time to?

I live in California which is basically a desert at this point so I'm sure peppers might thrive here.

Yes, now is a good time to start them. If you’re past your last frost date for where you live you can put them out in the ground already. That’s probably now or soon enough for southern, SF and north might wait another week or two. Check the almanac dates for your location with a quick google.

You’ll need to make sure they get enough water in the summer, but they love 80-95 if they get enough of it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm in San Jose where we just had a weird bout of cold, but we're back to it being 75 right now. I'll see what seeds I can get. Any recommendations for what sorts I should go with? I'd like to go with habanero and thai if that seems simple enough.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i still have an ornamental Thai from last year that nothing seems able to kill. lack of water, heat, cold, doesn't give a poo poo. no hard freezes but otherwise it laughs at death. tiny peps though.

basic orange habs are pretty easy, in my experience if you try growing the weirder colors they are more finicky.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Orange habaneros are really pretty easy. Red Savina/Caribbean Reds are hotter but also are really easy. Thai are also really easy to grow and if you fertilize even once will put out a ton of peppers. Super hots can be easy enough too, and your growing season is long enough that you should be able to keep them without any issues. It may be a little early to find them in nurseries/garden centers, but it's worth a look. Otherwise I'd expect they'll start showing up soon considering you're a month past your last frost date.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We had our first garden (just north of you in San Mateo) last year and grew some amazing peppers, a shocking amount really. We got four plants, jalapenos, habaneros, cayennes, and Carolina reapers. Legit we had so many peppers. The habs and cayennes in particular produced so much I had to get pretty creative in what I did with them. They were hot too, the reapers in particular were spicy as hell.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Habs are notoriously prolific in the right conditions. Starting peppers is usually the only difficult part, once the plants are established they will absolutely run away from you. Unfortunately they are not nearly as easy to pawn off on neighbors as your usual zucchini or cucumber suspects. We'll usually set the overflow out in a big pan to dry in the laundry room or somewhere that they won't pick up ambient flavors or odors (looking at you, diesel soaked garage). Most really hot peppers dry really well and you can either save them just dried or you can mask up and grind them into your own spice mix. I still have probably four gallon zip lock bags of mixed super hots and have given away countless little jars of scorched earth hell pepper mixes.

Just really be careful grinding, it will get in your nail beds, your eyes, your sinuses, just literally little grains of pain every where.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My yellow-themed pepper starts are well underway. Aji amarillos, 7 pot and ghost peppers have germinated with some secondary leaves. Manzanos are lagging but just sprouted. And my reapers have yet to germinate at all. After being warned about Pepper Joe's my instinct is to immediately blame them, but reapers are known to be finnicky, so trying to be patient!

mischief posted:

Habs are notoriously prolific in the right conditions. Starting peppers is usually the only difficult part, once the plants are established they will absolutely run away from you. Unfortunately they are not nearly as easy to pawn off on neighbors as your usual zucchini or cucumber suspects. We'll usually set the overflow out in a big pan to dry in the laundry room or somewhere that they won't pick up ambient flavors or odors (looking at you, diesel soaked garage). Most really hot peppers dry really well and you can either save them just dried or you can mask up and grind them into your own spice mix. I still have probably four gallon zip lock bags of mixed super hots and have given away countless little jars of scorched earth hell pepper mixes.

Just really be careful grinding, it will get in your nail beds, your eyes, your sinuses, just literally little grains of pain every where.

I have a coffee grinder designated specifically for grinding dried peppers. Even being careful, the ambient air will still sting like somebody got maced hours ago.

My wife is pregnant, so my uses for the powdered habanero and ghost I made last year are diminishing as her pallet gets hosed up. I'm probably going to have to give away so much sauce this year...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

My yellow-themed pepper starts are well underway. Aji amarillos, 7 pot and ghost peppers have germinated with some secondary leaves. Manzanos are lagging but just sprouted. And my reapers have yet to germinate at all. After being warned about Pepper Joe's my instinct is to immediately blame them, but reapers are known to be finnicky, so trying to be patient!

Crappy thing about Pepper Joe’s lack of QA is you won’t know until later in the year if they’ve screwed you with the wrong seeds most of the time. Reapers can be temperamental, but with good heat and moisture they’ll sprout just as well. They were the first peppers up for me this year, but it’ll be interesting to see how many starts I have versus how many of the wintered plants come back. I may have a pepper problem.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jhet posted:

Crappy thing about Pepper Joe’s lack of QA is you won’t know until later in the year if they’ve screwed you with the wrong seeds most of the time. Reapers can be temperamental, but with good heat and moisture they’ll sprout just as well. They were the first peppers up for me this year, but it’ll be interesting to see how many starts I have versus how many of the wintered plants come back. I may have a pepper problem.

Yeah which makes their practice of asking for reviews just a couple weeks after purchase hilarious.

Also quite stingy with the seeds! 10 per packet. Southern Exposure and Baker Creek are a good bit more generous.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah which makes their practice of asking for reviews just a couple weeks after purchase hilarious.

Also quite stingy with the seeds! 10 per packet. Southern Exposure and Baker Creek are a good bit more generous.

Baker Creek has also sent me cross pollinated crappy pepper seeds and poor germ rate pea seeds. Which is one of a few reasons to not order from them either. Some peppers really don't put out many seeds, especially some of the super hots. 10 per pack is pretty common for it. I'm just going with little baggies on flowers to seed save again this year myself. Not that it's much cheaper, but this way I can send out seeds again next year for the low price of a stamp and envelope.

This summer will be a bunch of yellow peppers in the Fatalii and Lemon Drop for me. I have plenty of Reapers and Bhut Jolokia again too, but I'm mostly looking forward to making salsa with the pineapple tomatillo seeds I acquired. I did standard tomatillo salsa verde canning last year and it's good and disappears quickly. I'm also putting in 4-6 Tabasco plants for some delicious fermented sauce.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Fatalii and Trinidad are far and away my favorite peppers, both growing and eating. I went crazy with chasing the scoville for a few years and after a while I guess it just fell a little flat for me. Reapers are a remarkable achievement but after a while it just became overkill for me. I know literally one other person that will eat them and when you've got a plant (or in my case a row) just exploding with peppers it just ends up being a waste of space in a garden.

Fatalii and the different Trinidad Scorpions really hit that sweet spot I think, they are very robust plants, prolific, and they're just hot enough to share with the average person that hasn't consummately erased their palate like some of us.

They also have really beautiful flowers which is always nice.

Tomatillos and ground cherries are super rewarding in a row too. In NC they're very resistant to our usual murderers row of pests, they're very pretty plants, and they respond really well to being trained vertically.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

Fatalii and Trinidad are far and away my favorite peppers, both growing and eating. I went crazy with chasing the scoville for a few years and after a while I guess it just fell a little flat for me. Reapers are a remarkable achievement but after a while it just became overkill for me. I know literally one other person that will eat them and when you've got a plant (or in my case a row) just exploding with peppers it just ends up being a waste of space in a garden.

Fatalii and the different Trinidad Scorpions really hit that sweet spot I think, they are very robust plants, prolific, and they're just hot enough to share with the average person that hasn't consummately erased their palate like some of us.

They also have really beautiful flowers which is always nice.

Tomatillos and ground cherries are super rewarding in a row too. In NC they're very resistant to our usual murderers row of pests, they're very pretty plants, and they respond really well to being trained vertically.

The Moruga Scorpions that I have from Trinidad are not that far off in heat from the Reapers. The red variety was just amazing last year even with the crappy weather I had. I don't know many that will eat them, but I just process them into sauces and powder and end up getting through a couple plants worth of fruit. The Fatalii last year were super tasting and I'm doing 4 plants this year instead of the 1 last year.

I have managed to give away starts of the super hots last year, and one of the people who took some were really happy with them by the end of the summer. I'll probably just stick another notice up on the buy nothing and see what happens with the extras again.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not a hot sauce pepper, but are shishitos easy to grow at home? I would eat those every day if so.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've consistently had good luck with superhotchiles.com over the years. Maybe 1 in 10 packets fails to germinate, what grows is exactly as described, and they always send me 2-4 bonus sample seed packets.

Their Antilles Red Habanero made some of the most beautiful peppers I've ever seen.

vvv thanks, edited

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 2, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ https://www.superhotchiles.com is the one you want. The other spelling wants to install crap on your computer. I'm going to add that one to my bookmarks for when I inevitably buy more varieties next year.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Not a hot sauce pepper, but are shishitos easy to grow at home? I would eat those every day if so.

They're pretty easy to grow, but you'd need a bunch of plants to be eating them everyday once they start being ready.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Democratic Pirate posted:

We grew shishitos last summer and they did really well and didn't require much babysitting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jhet posted:

They're pretty easy to grow, but you'd need a bunch of plants to be eating them everyday once they start being ready.

It’s a sacrifice I am willing to make. The fancy grocery store in my old city had them in bulk, so I’d always sear a few on the stove and eat them as an appetizer while cooking my actual meals.