Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Does it have a mic? Does your laptop take in a TRRS input or does it have separate headphones and mic inputs?

Your headphone jack might be super specific with TRRS connectors if plugged in to a headphone jack. You might try and see if it can go in a little more, or if you need to pull it out a bit. If not, maybe try a TRRS to TRS splitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've got some that I bought off sa mart. They loving won't stay in my ears. I wear them but they slowly come out. I legitimately dislike them. Thank you for the advice. No dice :(
you gotta get the comply brand foam tips for em!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

TenementFunster posted:

you gotta get the comply brand foam tips for em!

I guess so...

I got work to shell out for some Quietcomfort earbuds so I'm testing those out.

Brand new...

First thing I hear - "Pairing to Cody's Samsung"...

:bigwhat:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I'm looking for a new set of headphones, my current ones are literally falling apart and I've used them for over a decade. I've replaced both wings, the ear cups, and now the cable is breaking.

Budget - We need to know how much you’re willing to spend so we can find suitable headphones in the price range.
Source - a PC where I'll be gaming and listening to music.
Isolation Requirements - Not really needed and I like the open sound stage.
Preferred Type of Headphone - the current over air headphones I have are good, and more comfortable than any on ear I've tried
Preferred Tonal Balance - something balanced
Past Headphones - I have only used the old pink Ath-ad700 for last ten years.
Preferred Music - rap, pop/indie, limited amount of electronic music

I guess I'm wondering if spending about $300 would be an actual upgrade over the ones I have? I think I can get these to last longer with some more repairs but the cable is trying to rip itself out of the housing

Edit: secondary recommendation. My wife needs a set of Bluetooth earbuds (or an earpiece?) that have good microphones because she will be making business calls all day while traveling

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
hey redeyes have you had a chance to audition the olina? if it really is an o2 in a better shell for a hundred bucks that's an insta-buy for me.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

hey redeyes have you had a chance to audition the olina? if it really is an o2 in a better shell for a hundred bucks that's an insta-buy for me.

I wanted to buy a cable for my S12 and a balanced adapter for Chinese New Year, and I added one to my order even though I already have the Oxygen :blastu:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Constellation I posted:

Does it have a mic? Does your laptop take in a TRRS input or does it have separate headphones and mic inputs?

Your headphone jack might be super specific with TRRS connectors if plugged in to a headphone jack. You might try and see if it can go in a little more, or if you need to pull it out a bit. If not, maybe try a TRRS to TRS splitter.

Thanks for this! The default cable that comes with the QKZ VK4 does come with a mic and I'm pretty sure this is exactly why it wasn't being detected! I had an audio input extender, and plugging the earphones in through that works perfectly.

I'd still like to be able to direct connect the phones to the comp if possible, but this will do for now. I guess I can buy uh....earphone cables that don't have a mic installed by default?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

First thing I hear - "Pairing to Cody's Samsung"...

It's not bad but I prefer their earlier stuff

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Budget - Under $100
Source - Samsung Galaxy A71 5G phone; Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
Isolation Requirements - Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - any wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Vocals. Mostly for podcasts or tv/movies.
Past Headphones - Bluetooth in-ear buds that were connected together with a wire. Perfectly fine but had at least a couple seconds latency that made watching videos impossible
Preferred Music - Metal

Looking for some low-latency bluetooth headphones for under $100. Mostly going to use them to listen to podcasts while doing chores and such, occasionally watching videos. My phone does not have aptx support and all the lists and reviews I can find are for that codec. It only supports SBC.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Machai posted:

It only supports SBC.

If that's actually true, forget bluetooth audio on that phone entirely.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Machai posted:

Budget - Under $100
Source - Samsung Galaxy A71 5G phone; Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
Isolation Requirements - Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - any wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Vocals. Mostly for podcasts or tv/movies.
Past Headphones - Bluetooth in-ear buds that were connected together with a wire. Perfectly fine but had at least a couple seconds latency that made watching videos impossible
Preferred Music - Metal

Looking for some low-latency bluetooth headphones for under $100. Mostly going to use them to listen to podcasts while doing chores and such, occasionally watching videos. My phone does not have aptx support and all the lists and reviews I can find are for that codec. It only supports SBC.

You should be able to enable aptX in developer mode. No Samsung supports the superior aptX Adaptive or HD codec, though. They push their proprietary SSC codec instead, which sucks for latency.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MiM Dark Magician 10.2mm CNT IEM review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpCC0Lg6uk&t=417s

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Finally got my starfields from 11/11. Really enjoying them, thanks everyone!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I bought a hyperx cloud orbit s one year ago. It didn't last. The plastic near the left cup cracked and it's close to falling off entirely. I found lots of reddit threads with the exact same issue. The only stress this plastic has suffered is the spring force of the headband. This is terrible for such expensive headphones!

Besides the quality issue, this thing's been a pain. I've only use it plugged in via USB but it kept running out of battery power somehow, and when it runs out of power it bellows "POWER OFF" into my ear at high volume. It beeps if a sound plays while the volume is muted, just to inform me it's muted. There's a bunch of sound profiles and options, but no instruction as to what they do. They kept reverting to default anyway. I turned off the gimmick head tracking audio after a day and never used it again

The hyperx brand is owned by Hewlett Packard now, who are on the BDS list, so I don't intend to buy another hyperx headphones

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I took the advice of some random gently caress on the internet years ago to never buy gamer branded (audio) anything and just get a separate mic and good headphones from non gamer brands, and have never looked back. (Maybe some exceptions now days?)

Not only does it sound way better to me, but also makes me sound way better. Can't tell you how many people ask me how I sound so good on web conferences, and all I have is a Samson meteor mic I payed 50$ for 7 years ago.

Plus if anything breaks or you want to upgrade, you have more options.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rakeris posted:

I took the advice of some random gently caress on the internet years ago to never buy gamer branded (audio) anything and just get a separate mic and good headphones from non gamer brands, and have never looked back. (Maybe some exceptions now days?)

Not only does it sound way better to me, but also makes me sound way better. Can't tell you how many people ask me how I sound so good on web conferences, and all I have is a Samson meteor mic I payed 50$ for 7 years ago.

That's generally true, but the HyperX Cloud 2 (specifically) along with a couple others were an exception because they were actual non gaming headphones that a gaming company purchased from a third party, rebadged, added a mic and started calling them gaming headsets.

bandaid.friend posted:

The hyperx brand is owned by Hewlett Packard now, who are on the BDS list, so I don't intend to buy another hyperx headphones

What is the BDS list?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

What is the BDS list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ok that's fair enough then. Coolermaster makes gaming headphones which are also rebadged versions of the same headphones that the cloud flight 2s are based on

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I am considering getting new pair of IEMS for home / office use (for outdoors I have Shure 215's with a bluetooth neckband).

At the moment I mainly use Tin T2 and Blon BL03, my other headphones are Koss Porta-pros and Sennheiser HD650 which I like but the new IEMs could be something different sounding as I like to have variety. At the moment I am eyeing the following:
- Fiio HF7
- Etymotic er4sr
- Moondrop Blessing 2 dusk

any feedback if some of those have bad QC or something? I don't really need absolute isolation but some would be nice as I would use them in open office environment or work at home where my girlfriend also works and has a lot of calls and zoom meetings.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How do you like the T2s? I’m looking for something in that price range that isn’t a weird shape.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

qirex posted:

How do you like the T2s? I’m looking for something in that price range that isn’t a weird shape.

Sound is very nice, plenty of bass but not boomy and pretty good instrument separation. They are comfortable to wear when you are sitting still but I think they will fall off from ears when walking due to weight distribution. I use them with some spinfit tips.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sorbus posted:

I am considering getting new pair of IEMS for home / office use (for outdoors I have Shure 215's with a bluetooth neckband).

At the moment I mainly use Tin T2 and Blon BL03, my other headphones are Koss Porta-pros and Sennheiser HD650 which I like but the new IEMs could be something different sounding as I like to have variety. At the moment I am eyeing the following:

Have you considered the 7hz Timeless or the shuoer S12? The new generation of planar IEMs is very very good and a big timbre (if not tuning) difference from what you've already got.

Otherwise, I'd rec the ER4XR or B2D if they fit ya.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard both Timeless and S12. I'd take Timeless pretty easily. It's stock tuning seems better, more full mids. S12 is a bit V shaped and has pushed treble. Honestly I don't like S12 much at all.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you considered the 7hz Timeless or the shuoer S12? The new generation of planar IEMs is very very good and a big timbre (if not tuning) difference from what you've already got.

Otherwise, I'd rec the ER4XR or B2D if they fit ya.

Isn't timeless quite open for IEM though? I do not require absolute isolation but some would be nice.

edit: there's etymotics sale in drop.com so I bought ER3XR for 95 usd + shipping.

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sorbus posted:

Isn't timeless quite open for IEM though? I do not require absolute isolation but some would be nice.

edit: there's etymotics sale in drop.com so I bought ER3XR for 95 usd + shipping.

They're very well vented so the isolation is not great, but they definitely do provide some. Nothing approaching Etymotic though, they're still the isolation kings. Great price on the 3XR!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Are there any good options if I want open headphones that will run nicely with a phone/iPad/computer and without an amp?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Xabi posted:

Are there any good options if I want open headphones that will run nicely with a phone/iPad/computer and without an amp?

Koss porta-pro rules.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I’m an unabashed Porta Pro fan but I’m looking for something a bit more high end and more comfortable, if such a thing exist. I don’t have a decent stereo rig at the moment but if it’s possible I’d like to be able to get good sounds comfortably, and without the hassle of using an amp as well. Is this a fool’s errand?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Xabi posted:

Is this a fool’s errand?

No! Sennheiser 58X or 560S is where I'd start. Potentially also Grado if you're able to tolerate the build.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hifiman HE400i also an option.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sennheiser 58X or 560S is where I'd start.

But not if you're buying for your son

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my large adult son who broke my headphones tells me that the build quality on the 580 is poo poo

I’m so hopping mad

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I got the Moondrop Arias and...

I do like the sound, but I think these are the most uncomfortable IEMs I've dealt with, specifically for my right ear. I've tried all their tips, and bunch from my RHA MA750i. I had best luck with the smallest RHA tips I had, large foam tips from Comply with shallow insertion (and not squeezing them not to go deep) and RHA's double flanged tips, though they honestly risk getting...stuck inside the ear canal. I guess my concha is fairly small compared to average. I think the Anthelix/ridge next to the concha towards the back of the head is more pronounced on my right ear and the Aria has fairly sharp edges and it tends to dig towards it. :sigh:

It's definitely better than at the start with the tips I chose but still nowhere perfect. I've also tried different angles for insertion etc. I bet Starfields would actually fit better for me, it looks like the outer edge of the Starfields is rounded instead of being so sharp.

I also tried wearing them reversed as someone has done so with the Starfields but no way am I getting them inside with the front/back of the IEMs swapped.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If they don't fit, they don't fit. It happens.

There's lots of cool stuff around the hundred dollar mark, i'd just return 'em.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Sadly not an option, EU has no dealers so I had to order straight off China and dealing with returns there would likely be impossible/nightmare. Might resell them to a friend if they don't work for me. Honestly they don't feel much of an upgrade over final audio e4000, which I would have probably reordered had there been stock anywhere in EU that I could find.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Best set of wireless earbuds (noise isolation pref) that I can get off Amazon for $25? Essentially throw away work / workout sets? Usually I go to monoprice for cheap audio stuff but have an Amazon gift card I'd like to go ahead and use. Thanks

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Trauts posted:

Best set of wireless earbuds (noise isolation pref) that I can get off Amazon for $25? Essentially throw away work / workout sets? Usually I go to monoprice for cheap audio stuff but have an Amazon gift card I'd like to go ahead and use. Thanks

At that price you're basically just going to find rebadged Chinese sets. Just pick whatever you think will be comfortable.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rakeris posted:

big same. i refuse to pay the RGB gamer tax. i love the rode mini usb mic and no gamer headphones have ever come close to the mass drop focals

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No! Sennheiser 58X or 560S is where I'd start. Potentially also Grado if you're able to tolerate the build.
Thank you! Is 150 and 120 ohms respectively not a problem? Doesn't ohm itself mean much these days, or are modern devices powerful enough by themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have 560s and they do not sound good enough from my MacBook Air or iPhone, at least to me. Too quiet and muddy. I also have a pair of Audeze LCD-1 that sound almost as good as when amplified. I have no idea about 58x.