Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*gazes longingly at bigots* If I could just be one of them... curse my gayness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is there an exception in the "Don't out anyone, ever" clause for allowing to out people if they throw you under the bus to avoid outing themselves?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Outing collaborators is cool and fun, and it's cooler and funner the more their chosen bigot group will eat them

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

axolotl farmer posted:

Is there an exception in the "Don't out anyone, ever" clause for allowing to out people if they throw you under the bus to avoid outing themselves?

Definitely. There was a post a while back where someone outed their ex to the ex's conservative mom when the mom cornered the person and was getting aggressive (sorry, can't remember all the details).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Willow posted:

(M21) got into a physical altercation with my girlfriends (F22) dad
This is a totally reasonable cause to punch someone in the face repeatedly.

Mx. posted:

AITA for not snow blowing the new neighbors driveway?
So is this.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

axolotl farmer posted:

I think the general consensus is that when a person weaponizes the rule to hurt others it's okay to out them if reasonably necessary to protect someone else. In iterations of this thread we've seen the whole "I'm being called homophobic for outing the person sexually harassing me" pop up as an extreme example.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

axolotl farmer posted:

Broadly, every such rule has a “justified self-defense” clause just like all the laws against literal violence.

I’m not sure it applies to this specific story since OP outed themselves, but also dude obviously deserved it. I think the actual clause in this scenario is “it is cool to out collaborators in front of their bigot friends” that someone mentioned upthread.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 28, 2022

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Broadly, every such rule has a “justified self-defense” clause just like all the laws against literal violence.

I’m not sure it applies to this specific story since OP outed themselves, but also dude obviously deserved it. I think the actual clause in this scenario is “it is cool to out collaborators” that someone mentioned upthread.

OP also outed Oliver by telling the group that he and Oliver dated.

But yeah, he was totally justified.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Be gay, wear memes???

AITA for not letting my girlfriend wear her “unique” dress to a wedding?

quote:

Throwaway account because she uses reddit. My (M25) girlfriend (F30) Nat has a very particular sense of style. Picture Harley Finkle from wizards of waverly place, you will get the idea. Don’t get me wrong, i never had a problem with that! In fact, i love the way she dresses because she loves to do so, and i am happy if she is happy. The thing is, sometimes she likes to incorporate memes into her clothes. No problem. It’s cute. But now she wants to wear a dress inspired on the meme “gay rat wedding”. To my friend’s wedding. He and his fiancé are gay. I told her, maybe that is not really appropriated? The dress in question would be full of little stuffed rats, pride flags and a big “I SUPPORT GAY RATS” on the front. My friend is not a big fan of the way my GF dresses and i think this dress may cause an certain uproar in the wedding. Now, nat is upset with me and claiming that i am “throwing water in her flame of creativity”. The wedding is next month, so she has plenty of time to think about another thing to wear. Should i just let her go with the dress? Am i the rear end in a top hat in this situation?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Recently we had a story that went: My big brother is gay, my parents found his dildo, he said it's mine, and I had to out him to save myself from being sent to a foreign concentration camp. (The older brother was a legal adult and not at risk.)

jazzyhattrick posted:

One point that hasn't been raised in all this is that the reason babies are crying on takeoff and landing is that their ears are popping, they can't do anything about it and it loving hurts.
Just give your babies chewing gum, stupid! Problem solved.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Darla is a god drat hero
Darla is a fonzanoon

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Feel no shame outing the gay bigot who would happily be stomping on your head to fit in with their lovely pals if said pals werent happy with just calling you subhuman.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

OhAreThey posted:

OP also outed Oliver by telling the group that he and Oliver dated.

But yeah, he was totally justified.

Yeah I’m saying Oliver didn’t out OP, in which case it would be a clear-cut case of self-defense to throw it back in his face, but other circumstantial factors still justify it.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I’m saying Oliver didn’t out OP, in which case it would be a clear-cut case of self-defense to throw it back in his face, but other circumstantial factors still justify it.

Gotcha!

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Soylent Pudding posted:

Be gay, wear memes???

listen man, if you can suggest a better way to support gay rats, i'm all ears.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

R/relationships: throwing water in her flame of creativity

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Be gay, wear memes???

Exhibit A on why dating manic pixie dream girls is a bad idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Bramble posted:

R/relationships: throwing water in her flame of creativity

Reddit provides ample arguments for squashing all creative urges

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Don't really need to read past the bolded bit.

AITA for calling my girlfriend an idiot with a useless degree?

quote:

I am a software developer and, like a lot of computer nerds, I love gaming. For some reason, my girlfriend seems annoyed by this. I'm not sure why—she never gives a proper response when asked—but she probably thinks that it's "immature" for a 27-year-old to play video games. I asked her if it's because I end up spending less time with her when I'm at home, but she says that that's not the reason, and that she just finds it "silly and useless."

Yesterday, when I was playing in the evening, she just snapped at me, saying, "You're always playing that stupid game!" Now, there's a limit to my patience and I thought it was finally time to give back as good as I'd gotten, and I said "Cut the crap, babe! You're the idiot with the good-for-nothing liberal arts degree and without any sort of technical aptitude. You should be the last person to call me stupid. So, shut the f*ck up!" I'd probably never said anything like this to her before and she was pissed. And I mean, really pissed. She got into an argument with me and said that I was degrading her and that I didn't value her education and her skills. I said that she was the one who started it all and that it was wrong of her to characterize my pastime as "stupid" and "silly." I was unapologetic and told her that if she didn't like hearing my opinion, she should probably stick hers where it hurts.

We're not on talking terms right now and, knowing her, it might last a day or two. In the meantime, I'd like to hear your opinion on this matter. Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

yes this was absolutely an equal level response to her, good job!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Really love the passive voice on "she got into an argument with me" as if the conflict just appeared entirely unbidden from the void.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is an example of when you shouldn't respond to a thrown rock with a nuke.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

r/relationships: I'm a software developer and,

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

lmfao I'm a software developer who has a film degree and betting this guy 100% sucks to work with and probably never stops talking to his coworkers about his crypto "investments"

one of the smartest guys I've worked with in my career to this point has I think an English/theater degree so I always get riled up about the degree policing

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

quote:

What are her hobbies which are so much more sophisticated?

LOL!

I should probably ask her that question next time. I mean, she doesn't even read. I have a Scribd subscription and read at least one book a week, sometimes two or even three.
heh she doesnt even read :smuggo:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I really loved The Negging Guide for Winners Vol. I-III from my last week reading list

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Soylent Pudding posted:

lmao at "cut the crap, babe!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wish I were dating a sociologist. I'm a software developer but I think sociology's really cool. :smith:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sociology is a real bummer

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Xachariah posted:

Do noise cancelling earphones not work well on a plane or something? I'm deaf and have a literal mute button so I've never needed 'em but seems like they'd be a good investment if you're super ticked off by babies crying in public? Or like, earplugs?

This reminds me of a Reddit post about a family who was mad at the brother because they had found out he just turned his hearing aids off when he didn’t want to listen to them :allears:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

hawowanlawow posted:

sociology is a real bummer

Wait until you learn about anthropology. And political science. Oh and economics. Basically if it’s in the school of social sciences it’s gonna be a downer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Tenkaris posted:

This reminds me of a Reddit post about a family who was mad at the brother because they had found out he just turned his hearing aids off when he didn’t want to listen to them :allears:

It is a pretty dismissive thing to do. My father in law sometimes turns his cochlear implant off and turns his back when he gets really angry at the person who is speaking, and it seems like about the rudest thing you could do. The hearing person’s equivalent would be plugging your ears and saying “La la la I’m not listening!”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if i could do that, i would, all the time

and just pretend i'm listening and nod and go 'mmm-hmmm' while in a world of my own quiet bliss

but then i got a lot of blustery talkers in my family

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

therobit posted:

It is a pretty dismissive thing to do. My father in law sometimes turns his cochlear implant off and turns his back when he gets really angry at the person who is speaking, and it seems like about the rudest thing you could do. The hearing person’s equivalent would be plugging your ears and saying “La la la I’m not listening!”

Yeah for sure it’s not a good thing, but I’ve only heard the summary and never seen the post, so I don’t know how long it took them to figure it out or anything and it just sounds like funny teenager stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

The library is free.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

lmfao I'm a software developer who has a film degree and betting this guy 100% sucks to work with and probably never stops talking to his coworkers about his crypto "investments"

one of the smartest guys I've worked with in my career to this point has I think an English/theater degree so I always get riled up about the degree policing

At the end of the day a degree is a piece of paper

My undergrad is English Lit, my masters was in Korean studies and I'm currently working in financial securities. I enjoy all three but having a degree doesn't confer smarts and some of the dumbest people I've ever met have advanced degrees

She should do the right thing and never speak to him again and move out so he can be happy with himself since he's apparently the smartest person on earth

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Huh, between gaming and 3 books a week it sounds like he's got a lot of free time.
I'm assuming he only reads programming manuals, of course and not like, Halo novels. He is the brightest boy, after all.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hawowanlawow posted:

I do not assume people flying with babies have a good reason to be doing it, that would be a very naive and silly thing to assume. Anyone can have a kid, and we all know how lovely people are. Flex on how mature and tolerant you are all you want, but that particular line of reasoning is complete bullshit, lmao

If the baby has a ticket it can fly. That’s how planes work. 🤷🏼‍♂️

All the infrequent fliers without noise canceling headphones are just angry because they didn’t plan ahead and get noise canceling headphones and a xanax prescription like they should. Get on the flight, headphones on, mask on, neck pillow on, xanax in belly.

The “being on the plane or in the airport” part is the worst part of the air travel* and if you allow yourself to experience it or remember it or even know there is a baby in the same plane as you, you are an amateur and you haven’t properly prepared.

*the only good part of air travel is when you leave the airport at your destination

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If the baby has a ticket it can fly.

pretty sure it would need some years of pilot lessons first

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If the baby has a ticket it can fly. That’s how planes work. 🤷🏼‍♂️

All the infrequent fliers without noise canceling headphones are just angry because they didn’t plan ahead and get noise canceling headphones and a xanax prescription like they should. Get on the flight, headphones on, mask on, neck pillow on, xanax in belly.

The “being on the plane or in the airport” part is the worst part of the air travel* and if you allow yourself to experience it or remember it or even know there is a baby in the same plane as you, you are an amateur and you haven’t properly prepared.

*the only good part of air travel is when you leave the airport at your destination

yeah I know, take it up with the people I'm making fun of. they should just be saying what you're saying instead of making up weakass excuses for the parents. it just obfuscates and weakens YOUR position

it is pretty funny how a couple of the biggest sources of sanctimonious posts are:

1:) people chiming in to say they aren't picky eaters (literally just eating food)

2:) people chiming in to say they don't mind crying babies on planes (literally doing nothing)

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I get a Xanax prescription if you’re legitimately anxious about being in the air, but I’m fine with just the noise canceling I don’t need to pass out. A weed edible though…