Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

I mean this in all seriousness as I am a weather nerd, but what do you guys use your weather stations for? Are there smart home automations I'm missing?

The only things I've done based on local weather was turning off the timed drip irrigation based on a rain sensor (this was pre-HA) and I used to have an automation that turned on the outlet the tractors block heater is plugged into if it was going to snow. Then I switched weather providers and never really got it working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hed posted:

I mean this in all seriousness as I am a weather nerd, but what do you guys use your weather stations for? Are there smart home automations I'm missing?

Aquara sells a pretty cheap sensor that does temp, humidity and pressure all in one so a lot of folks have them. I use one in my chicken coop to keep an eye on their condition, ends up being a bit of a weather station too I guess.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

These are the spikes in my little Aqara sensors:

East coat of Australia, which probably explains why it's so distinct compared to some of those other readings.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm interesting. You have a way higher and more consistent sample rate. I guess that CC2531 of mine is hosed/buggy.

--edit: Nevermind, wide date range.
--edit: No, actually indeed higher sample rate. Hrm.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was thinking about getting into the whole PWS thing until I got an email from Rachio saying that there’s a closer weather station than what I use. Looked on the map and it’s my next door neighbor. Thanks for saving me a few hundred bucks, neighbor!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you have a weather station that has an output port, chances are WeeWX (https://weewx.com/) can talk to it.... And you can use that to get the data into other apps.

I got one of those cheap 5n1 AccuRite stations for $79 at my local Rural King. The display has a USB port. Discovered the WeeWX project which can read the data coming out of this port and spit it back out as MQTT to Home Assistant. So I installed it on a RaspiPi 2b I had laying around and connected to the USB port on the display.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm interesting. You have a way higher and more consistent sample rate. I guess that CC2531 of mine is hosed/buggy.

--edit: Nevermind, wide date range.
--edit: No, actually indeed higher sample rate. Hrm.

I’m using a CC2652R with Zigbee2MQTT if that helps

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have any experience with the meross led colour bulbs that support homekit? Wifi (2.4GHz) based.

I have mostly ikea tradfris right now but a couple have gone a little flakey.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

I’m using a CC2652R with Zigbee2MQTT if that helps
Thanks, yeah it does.

I investigated it some more, and it turns out I have a CC2530 instead of an 31, and seems I'm blowing through the device limit for the firmware, so seems like devices randomly drop and reconnect based on LQ and weather.

I could extend it by flashing a variant, something something source routing or whatever, but I've just ordered a dongle based on the CC2652P instead (P is external antenna apparently/I think). Interwebs says switching dongles is quasi seamless with zigbee2mqtt.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 19, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have an Onvis lightstrip on Homekit? My new one won't complete setup, even with the 5Ghz network disabled.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Well the G4 Pro Doorbell PoE adapter is out and naturally OOS.

Advisability of putting in-wall? It is all LV but no idea if the USB-C part of is CL2 or CL3 rated. I think I have a junction box I can finagle it into, or else, my old kickbox heater that's being replaced by a ductless system seems to be a fantastic (albeit silly) place to put this. Annoying to run another cable up to the doorbell junction box but hey, what's fishing line for anyways...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I went and got the Ultivon camera's and I realized that I might not actually want one at my front door to my building, as I'm in a duplex which I share with 2 neighbours; and as a result I realized that if they (and their frequent guests) constantly set off the camera I'll just end up ignoring it. When I just want the camera to know when a package is being delivered and to see who it is when its at a random time of night and someone is ringing my goddamn doorbell to try to tailgate their way into the building to see someone else.

Looking at the settings I see can I can set it to not send push notifications for 12 hours at a time; any ideas of a way to set it to sleep "forever" but still record when it detects movement? I can see it as useful to be able to look at footage in case something happens or maybe one of the neighbours might ask if I have footage in case something happens to them etc; I just don't want to either have to twice a day set it to sleep except for when I'm expecting a package.

My current plan is instead of the porch I'll set it up in my common area pointing at my actual entrance door to my apartment as what I mainly want is peace of mind whenever I leave my apartment. But I want to get like a third camera for the porch but only if I can set it to like silent until I need it? Any ideas?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goddamn, even with the Caseta PD-5NE ELV+ dimmer my lights still buzz like crazy, even after setting it to ELV vs MLV with 2x 5.5W E12 LEDs from their compatibility tool.

Driving me batty!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, I’ve taken so many trips to HD/Lowes’s this week and I’m getting real sick of spending money on E12 bulbs that I only use in one fixture, haha.

I finally wandered off their list and I put some GE ultra bright 7.5W/100W eq ones in there with the ELV switch. They seem like the “best” so far. If I turn them straight on, they work fine. The problem comes when I dim them from off/low to high. Right around the 40% mark they start to buzz, and get louder as I go up, then eventually they flicker and turn off until I hit off on the switch.

Where would the transformer be? It’s a ceiling fan, so in the fixture? In the ceiling? I’m about to say gently caress it and throw an incandescent bulb in as 1 of the 2 to get the load up.

Mother FUCKER. I've been trying to figure out this stupid-rear end buzzing light thing for over a month now. It's constantly pissing myself and my whole family off because it buzzes like crazy then just shuts off. And then will sometimes randomly turn on and off repeatedly. I finally fixed the loving thing last night and I couldn't be happier.

I tried ALL sorts of E12 bulbs. Some on the Lutron LED compatibility list, some not on it, even going back to incandescents. I tried ordering the LUT-MLC capacitor that you put across the load and the neutral in the jbox. Absolutely nothing worked. I finally got pissed last night after a couple beers and tore my ceiling fan apart and just clipped the line and neutral wires and wire-nutted in the LUT-MLC in parallel to the light load. Still loving buzzes.

I'm stumped and keep staring at it and ceiling fan wiring diagrams online when I realize that this loving thing is installed in series with the line and the lights. It supposedly limits the load to 180W for regular incandescent lights. My load is only 2x 10W E12 LEDs, so it shouldn't have made any difference. I was pissed enough that I just clipped the drat thing out and BOOM, the lights no longer buzz. There's just something about that stupid module that doesn't like the Caseta dimmers or something? Who knows, but man am I glad to not having buzzing living room lights anymore.

gently caress

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In the Northeast we’re about to get a lot of snow. Is there any way on iOS or MacOS to get a time lapse video from my HomeKit Eufy security camera(s)? Or at least snap a picture from them every 5 minutes and save them on my computer?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

IUG posted:

In the Northeast we’re about to get a lot of snow. Is there any way on iOS or MacOS to get a time lapse video from my HomeKit Eufy security camera(s)? Or at least snap a picture from them every 5 minutes and save them on my computer?

Not answering your question because I don't have em but how do you like the Eufy cameras with Homekit? Does it use the base station for storage as well or does it all go to the iCloud storage? Are they the 2K ones?

Thinking about those for the next set of cameras I get for my place, when I spot a good sale on them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mine are the 2k ones, they are a little hit or miss on me getting notifications for when the mail guy comes to the front door. Today I didn't get that notification, but it got me when I went out to pick something off of my yard. That is probably Apple's fault though. I have HomeKit managing the recording to their "secure cloud", and I have notifications for only people, packages, and animals. So it may have seen the motion of the mailman, but since he was bundled up, he wasn't recognized as a person? I got too many false positives when I left the notifications for any motion.

It could also be my internet speed. I only get like 150/30 because I'm cheap and haven't switched ISPs yet.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

There might be a better thread for this, but I have a detached and finished garage that has an internet connected MyQ liftmaster opener. I’d like to put a semi-permanent opener on the wall next to a lightswitch in our house so we don’t just have garage door openers floating around. Are there any solutions for this? Couldn’t find anything with a quick liftmaster search

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

There might be a better thread for this, but I have a detached and finished garage that has an internet connected MyQ liftmaster opener. I’d like to put a semi-permanent opener on the wall next to a lightswitch in our house so we don’t just have garage door openers floating around. Are there any solutions for this? Couldn’t find anything with a quick liftmaster search

Didn't it come with a "control panel"?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=myq+control+panel&sprefix=myq+control+%2Caps%2C66&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Yea that’s what we have inside the garage. I’m looking for an option we can have in our house which is ~20 feet away from the garage itself. Right now we just keep a garage door remote on the countertop.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Yea that’s what we have inside the garage. I’m looking for an option we can have in our house which is ~20 feet away from the garage itself. Right now we just keep a garage door remote on the countertop.

I think your solution of the garage door remote on the countertop is a good one actually. My garage door opener also has MyQ built in but I wanted an easy way to control it with Alexa (voice) & HomeAssistant (I have a red light that turns on in the kitchen when the garage is open in case I forget and don't see the alerts on my phone) so I bought a Garadget and use that instead of MyQ.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I agree with Fletcher that using the existing opener is honestly one of the best solutions here. My parents do this, they have an opener command stripped to the trim of the window that's next to their back door so the opener is both easily accessible and is effectively hidden behind the window curtains for aesthetics.

You could also look into finding someone on etsy or thingiverse that's designed a 3D printed enclosure for garage openers that look like a light switch (either buy fully encapsulating it or by transferring the internals of the existing opener).

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Any recommended / reliable ZigBee or ZWave air quality sensors for Home Assistant that people like? We're replacing the smoke alarms in the house and I thought it'd be nice to get some other air monitoring stuff. CO2 sensors for the bedrooms and maybe a couple that do particulates and others for the larger common areas are what I'm thinking.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have a LiftMaster 885LM that I mounted on the wall by the back door for exactly this purpose. It looks identical to the wired control panel in the garage and pairs just like an extra remote.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

I have a LiftMaster 885LM that I mounted on the wall by the back door for exactly this purpose. It looks identical to the wired control panel in the garage and pairs just like an extra remote.

Oh interesting will take a look thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh interesting will take a look thanks!

Just double check what color the learn button is on your opener; they use that as an easy indicator of which version of the Security+ (lol) protocol it speaks. Might have to get a slightly different model of the wall control depending.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

and maybe a couple that do particulates and others for the larger common areas are what I'm thinking.
If you're interested in/concerned with PM2.5 to begin with, it might be worth to get a purifier, too. The Xiaomi ones have PM2.5 sensors, and the H-models have temperature and humidity ones, too. And they look pretty neutral. You can tie them into at least Home Assistant and OpenHAB.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

priznat posted:

I just feel having 2 locking points is better than 1, and that’s with reinforcing the strike plate and frame area.

Just a preference, would feel weird not having it. I expect this to be a bone of great contention!

Imagine some one managing to get the deadbolt undone, and then going, “”darn! They have a locking knob too!!! I give up.”

The benefit of locking windows and doors is to discourage casual B&E thieves, like wacky neighbors or landlords who like to wander in. If someone wants to get into your house bad enough that a deadbolt wont stop them, theyll get in. On a wood door frame, with a wood or fiber door; Getting past a deadbolt takes a pretty solid hit. A knob lock is more for privacy in an interior door for bathrooms and bedrooms.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IUG posted:

Wyze will let you do this, its iOS app will let you pick a start / end time for the timelapse and even the interval you want.

I have the Eufy Pan & Tilt cam, I run the Eufy app and not the Home app, I find the Home app too limited in comparison.

You could enable RTSP on the Eufy, set it to continuous, then use a script or something to grab a vid/pic at a specified interval..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a wyze time lapse of the blizzard. I wish I had started another one when I fired up the snowblower and cleared the driveway. The wyzecam v3 is amazing even in low light

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

After a lot of to and fro, I now have Home Assistant successfully running on a NUC, communicating with my Hue system (those were the easy parts) and Zigbee2MQTT working over a Sonoff Zigbee dongle - that bit was more painful to set up, especially because I was running HA on an old Windows laptop just to get it working, and getting the stick recognised first by Windows, then by the VM, took a while, and then there's a multi-stage process inside HA to get it working. But I got there, and made it talk to an Ikea bulb and my Hue motion sensor as a test.

If anyone wants to know more about how I did it just ask, and I'll try and remember! The guides I found online were quite bitty and I had to piece it together by trial and error.

Now to buy some Xiaomi stuff to play with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm glad I went with HASS.io in that regard. It's a pain in the rear end that they wall off the underlying Linux installation (I tried this public ssh key on USB stick debug crap once, didn't take), but the abstracted Docker plugin stuff is neat. Install zigbee2mqtt plugin, presto, it works.

I have a preorder on that Home Assistant Yellow. I'm not sure yet how I feel about that ZHA stuff in Home Assistant, which the Yellow will apparently use. Migration is gonna be a pain in the rear end, if I want to try to keep same entity and attribute names.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I feel like I'm SO close to putting the puzzle pieces together to get my HA to work the way that I want to with some future switches that I need to install. I have several of these Hunter Simpleconnect fan/lights in my home that are wired back to a toggle switch that simply sends or kills power to the fan. I posted in here a few weeks back about getting a switch that only sends commands to HA to control the lights, fan, speed, dim, etc. and got some great suggestions.

Question for today is: I have the fans all showing up in HA properly and can create buttons that toggle the lights and fan, as well as be able to control the speed when I interact more with the button. However, when I got to program a hardware switch, I'm going to want a push of a certain button on it to do 'speed down' or 'speed up' or 'off/on'. The latter I can sort out, but can't see how to get to the former two. Any hints on where I should look?

I'm looking to identify the control mechanism in the webGUI and then will get the appropriate hardware and map the buttons on the hardware to that command, if any of this makes sense.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Does anyone have a preferred HomeKit smart plug? I have 3 WeMo plugs and they all randomly stop working all the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tigren posted:

Does anyone have a preferred HomeKit smart plug? I have 3 WeMo plugs and they all randomly stop working all the time.

I have TP-Link ones and just use the Homebridge plugin. Seems to work fine. I've got a Meross outdoor one that has actual HK support that we use for holiday lights that works great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tigren posted:

The newer mini ones? Those seem pretty good for me.. Any issues with your 2.4GHz wifi?

I'm annoyed currently because one of my tradfri bulb seems to just stop responding.. Wondering if it distance from the hub but it's not that far, albeit on another level. Probably a lot of walls and stuff to get through.

Hoping more Thread capable doodads start coming out and that is an improvement.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

I’d be interested in which Wemo plugs as well. Mine still work fine. Maybe check to see if there are any firmware updates that need to be applied?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
These are all Minis and in the same room as my HomePod Mini. They just randomly stop responding throughout the day. No issues with my Meross lightbulbs. Maybe I just get their smart plugs too.

I don't _think_ I have any issues with my wifi, but I only use my 5Ghz with my real devices so I'm not sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tigren posted:

These are all Minis and in the same room as my HomePod Mini. They just randomly stop responding throughout the day. No issues with my Meross lightbulbs. Maybe I just get their smart plugs too.

I don't _think_ I have any issues with my wifi, but I only use my 5Ghz with my real devices so I'm not sure.

2.4GHz is really susceptible to interference from microwaves etc, maybe try a different channel on it if you can set that.

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Tigren posted:

Between wemo, tp-link kasa, and monoprice smart plugs the only ones I've had random disconnects with were my wemo minis, so it's not just you. I don't think it was related to wifi for me but you never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
chiming in with 5 wemo plugs I stopped using because they also had similar "huh, just not working today I guess" type of things happen that other brands didn't