Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oneiros posted:

it's true

except maybe healing if your party is decent

i'm not entirely sure what's driven s-e to make healers completely superfluous in everything but the hardest content but it sure is a choice

We ran an exdr last night with war, rdm, and two machinists. Crushed smileton with ease in 9:41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The other night I watched a gunbreaker solo the level 87 instance boss. Tanks are just kind of amazing now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The other night I watched a gunbreaker solo the level 87 instance boss. Tanks are just kind of amazing now.

My proudest achievements as a dungeon-running Gunbreaker were managing to do duo the last 50% of the 2nd bosses of both the level 90 MSQ dungeon and one of the EX dungeons (specifically Stigma Dreamscape) with one of the DPS after the other DPS and healer died. I feel a little more proud of those than soloing the bosses because I was also able to keep the one surviving DPS alive through the unavoidable damage and occasional fuckups just with Heart of Corundum and Aurora.

This happened in two EXDRs on two consecutive days with different parties, too. I was very amused it happened twice in a row, both times on the second boss.

Tanks are insane in dungeons in Endwalker and I love it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tanks* are indeed incredible in dungeons.

*DRK looks in through the window with envy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yes. All 3 of the tanks that exist are good in Endwalker.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm not too in the know, what's wrong with DRK?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

it's fine, it has the best consistent DPS right now and all the tools work perfectly well, but the issue is A) it's big 'oh poo poo' button is maybe one of the worst I've ever seen in an MMO that actively is unusable in a dungeon with a low heals healer like Sage and B) all three other tanks got huge boosts while DRK's rotation remains really simple and dull compared to how it used to be so it's mainly a case of being the neglected kid rather than actively sucking

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bleck posted:

Every other tank got new survivability tools that are much stronger than The Blackest Night and DRK essentially got nothing. DRK does the best DPS but has by far the worst survivability in dungeons.

I think part of it is the kinda jarring jump from TBN being a really unique and strong tank cooldown to every other tank, all at the same time (level 82), getting something better while DRK gets a random, completely unremarkable 10% damage reduction cooldown.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nothing, really. It’s the highest DPS tank.

The reason we don’t say it’s insane in dungeons is DRK lacks the self and party heals that other tanks have.

Tanks in EW are on a spectrum of most utility/healing to most DPS.

PLD has the best healing/utility and worst dps. WAR is next followed by GNB and then DRK. DRK can maybe keep themselves up solo with really good cooldown use and the two self heals they have, but they cannot just barge through a dungeon carrying three dps like the other tanks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Maybe it's fitting that DRK can never save anyone

Crawwwllling in my skinnnnn

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I would like whoever designed Living Dead to turn locations on, though, I just wanna talk as a Sage main

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me, a simple Sage having used a single cooldown a second ago watching my DRK tank in a dungeon hit Living Dead: guess we wipe in ten seconds

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It is really strange how reluctant they seem to be to change Living Dead. I realize there are only so many ways they can do 'hit this button and don't die for a while' but there has to be something better than the way it is currently implemented.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

My proudest achievements as a dungeon-running Gunbreaker were managing to do duo the last 50% of the 2nd bosses of both the level 90 MSQ dungeon and one of the EX dungeons (specifically Stigma Dreamscape) with one of the DPS after the other DPS and healer died. I feel a little more proud of those than soloing the bosses because I was also able to keep the one surviving DPS alive through the unavoidable damage and occasional fuckups just with Heart of Corundum and Aurora.

This happened in two EXDRs on two consecutive days with different parties, too. I was very amused it happened twice in a row, both times on the second boss.

Tanks are insane in dungeons in Endwalker and I love it

I've been a successful DPS on the second boss of L90 MSQ with healer dead. Of course, the tank was a warrior, I was a dancer, and the other DPS was a reaper, so this was probably the easiest scenario for that ever, but the fight also I think is pretty friendly for that since it doesn't really have too much unavoidable damage --- in particular a lot of EW bosses like to go heavy on raidwides when they are close to done, but this one doesn't. Plus, the biggest source of screw ups on that fight is running into each other when trying to avoid that lots of circles attack and then getting hit by a spread out one (though there is more margin than it first seems), so having less people sort of even helps :p

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It is really strange how reluctant they seem to be to change Living Dead. I realize there are only so many ways they can do 'hit this button and don't die for a while' but there has to be something better than the way it is currently implemented.

My personal theory has always been to give us something if it fails to go off, either reduced cooldown or flat out refund. Because as it stands I either fail to hit it before death or I hit it when it turns out the healer is about to burst heal me away from the 5% hp I was at. Basically I get scared to waste it because of that and thus lead to those deaths where it could have helped.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nothing, really. It’s the highest DPS tank.

The reason we don’t say it’s insane in dungeons is DRK lacks the self and party heals that other tanks have.

Tanks in EW are on a spectrum of most utility/healing to most DPS.

PLD has the best healing/utility and worst dps. WAR is next followed by GNB and then DRK. DRK can maybe keep themselves up solo with really good cooldown use and the two self heals they have, but they cannot just barge through a dungeon carrying three dps like the other tanks.
Pre-buff, the tank DPS spreadsheet had paladin doing 70 DPS less than warrior with my warrior-optimized melds. If I remelded it for drk/pld/gnb paladin DPS have been 30 higher. Post-buffs, spreadsheet has paladin doing 100 more DPS than warrior with the same set, again with another ~30 if I redid all of my pentamelds.

This is fine to me because paladin's rotation is significantly more challenging.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Farg posted:

you are the dweeb here, loser

I don't deny my dweeb status, it's how I recognize it so readily. Still gonna rescue that nerd

DoubleNegative posted:

In the Syrcus Tower tank wars, be absolutely sure you and the other two tanks are fighting for dominance. Picking up adds to ensure the DPS survive the encounter is not what the Main Character does! :downsgun:

A person in my FC completely refuses to do Ally roulette anymore because of that exact scenario. None of the tanks were willing to gather up adds and he kept getting the aggro because he was apparently the only one attacking them.

the last couple copied factories I've gotten has had me tanking boss adds as a DPS and eating tank busters. Where are the tanks? Who the gently caress knows

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 28, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Having three tanks who each queued expecting the other two tanks to do all the work gets really fun with Hansel and Gretel. By fun I mean lots of screaming and dying.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

DoubleNegative posted:

In the Syrcus Tower tank wars, be absolutely sure you and the other two tanks are fighting for dominance. Picking up adds to ensure the DPS survive the encounter is not what the Main Character does! :downsgun:

A person in my FC completely refuses to do Ally roulette anymore because of that exact scenario. None of the tanks were willing to gather up adds and he kept getting the aggro because he was apparently the only one attacking them.

What was it, Heavensward where Paladin's only combo was Rage of Halone with a billion emnity multiplier at that level so it had to be the main tank?

Sure didn't stop everyone else from trying though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oneiros posted:

i'm not entirely sure what's driven s-e to make healers completely superfluous in everything but the hardest content but it sure is a choice

I've brought it up before, but the fact that having sufficient healing is usually the only requirement for non-savage/extreme content has pushed them into shifting the burden more and more away from healers to make the experience of having a genuinely bad healer feel less awful. You could get away with having a lovely tank and lovely DPS in non-hard content in expansions past, but a lovely healer could bring the entire duty to a stone-cold standstill.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Thundarr posted:

Having three tanks who each queued expecting the other two tanks to do all the work gets really fun with Hansel and Gretel. By fun I mean lots of screaming and dying.

My favorite part is when I come in wanting to do the work but seeing if anyone else will because I hate tank fights, and then only after I pull does some other tank decide they want to stance up and start provoking.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Saint Freak posted:

What was it, Heavensward where Paladin's only combo was Rage of Halone with a billion emnity multiplier at that level so it had to be the main tank?

Sure didn't stop everyone else from trying though.

ARR, pld got royal authority and goring blade in hw, which started the long tradition of paladin getting things they needed much earlier on in their kits as expansion skills.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Barreft posted:

Seems like they can just put anything they want on there. Top FC I looked at for Famfrit doesn't even have a Famfrit FC

are you sure it wasn't a LS/CWLS? definitely hit the FC filter at the top of the page - one of the requirements to be in that category is have an actual FC on the selected server and it says it in the listing, i checked famfrit and it looks normal to me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oneiros posted:

it's true

except maybe healing if your party is decent

idk, healing feels like it's in a good spot for casual content to me.

I did a lot of dungeon grinding from 80-90 and there was a few instances where keeping the tank alive was miserable. I feel like healer much more easily gets into situations where they need to work harder then any other role - I dont think any role makes me sweat as hard as healer does when things go poorly. With tank and dps, mistakes or sloppy play just become someone else's problem.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Oxyclean posted:

idk, healing feels like it's in a good spot for casual content to me.

I did a lot of dungeon grinding from 80-90 and there was a few instances where keeping the tank alive was miserable. I feel like healer much more easily gets into situations where they need to work harder then any other role - I dont think any role makes me sweat as hard as healer does when things go poorly. With tank and dps, mistakes or sloppy play just become someone else's problem.

This, pretty much. Healing is very easy in regular content if everyone is on the ball. Everyone is seldom on the ball. If they overshoot in just how much power they give to healers to ensure that the job can get done when either everyone else on the team can't stay out of the orange, or when a healer is still new and hasn't 100% grasped their entire toolkit, welp so it goes.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I just know someones gonna say "lol all tanks are boring" but It's wild to me that people can call DRK's rotation boring when WAR exists. At least DRK has a bunch of ogcds to thing about. That goes a long way.

So many of WAR's animations suck, too, there's no weight behind most of them despite having a giant axe. Decimate, storms eye, fell cleave, primal rend, and inner chaos are good though.

I wish I liked WAR, everyone's always talking it up so much. But I got it to 90, and im probably not gonna touch it again, just like i did in Shadowbringers. The fact that I'd want a completely different set of gear to be competitive with it also works against it in that respect, I guess.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

cheetah7071 posted:

it's so loving rude that you have to hit 49% instead of 50%. I presume the actual threshold is exactly half, but that the displayed hp value truncates so displayed 50% means "between 50% and 51%"

That's gotta be the reason DelvUI has this in their latest update, lol:

quote:

Added Rounding Mode, an option to choose in what way labels are handled (truncate, floor, ceil, round).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finally switched to using xivlauncher so I can use a couple mods but I am trying very hard not to fall too deep down that rabbit hole, like using DelvUI or even a mod that allows mouseover casting. I have spent too much time in my WoW-playing days having to re-install and set up all my mods again every time I take a decent-sized break from the game, or having to play without them for a while after a new patch, to want to go down that road again.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Steelion posted:

I just know someones gonna say "lol all tanks are boring" but It's wild to me that people can call DRK's rotation boring when WAR exists. At least DRK has a bunch of ogcds to thing about. That goes a long way.

So many of WAR's animations suck, too, there's no weight behind most of them despite having a giant axe. Decimate, storms eye, fell cleave, primal rend, and inner chaos are good though.

I wish I liked WAR, everyone's always talking it up so much. But I got it to 90, and im probably not gonna touch it again, just like i did in Shadowbringers. The fact that I'd want a completely different set of gear to be competitive with it also works against it in that respect, I guess.

It's funny you say this, I switched from drk to war because I feel exactly like this except about drk. I swear I could die happy if I just never heard the sound of Unleash ever again. I do wish war had more going on in its rotation though, you're right about that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steelion posted:

I just know someones gonna say "lol all tanks are boring"

Not Gunbreaker! :eng101:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bragon posted:

It's funny you say this, I switched from drk to war because I feel exactly like this except about drk.

Yeah, I think it's very much a taste thing. DRK feels like it has zero weight behind anything it does, especially with the animation clipping you get from your oGCDs, whereas everything WAR does feels insanely meaty and impactful to me. The feedback of critical direct hits probably helps with that, admittedly.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Vermain posted:

Yeah, I think it's very much a taste thing. DRK feels like it has zero weight behind anything it does, especially with the animation clipping you get from your oGCDs, whereas everything WAR does feels insanely meaty and impactful to me. The feedback of critical direct hits probably helps with that, admittedly.

I'll admit im mostly thinking of the basic 1-2-3 combo attacks where you swing the axe like 3 times in a 2.5 second window, which works for something like paladin, but not so much for warrior. Also upheaval. I'd say orogeny looks cool, but you never see it either.

It's also a personal issue, but direct crits are a lot less impactful for me when they're guaranteed. I get way hyper about a bloodspiller direct critting than I did for primal rend, even though the latter is a bigger number, because there's nothing special about the latter direct critting. This is even worse for WAR when properly geared because you don't meld direct hit, so its literally impossible to see those sick direct crits except on abilities where it's already guaranteed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just make it give actual invincibility instead of "cannot go below 1 HP" and then anyone would be able to heal it up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vermain posted:

It's a taste thing, yeah. I love the DRK animations but can't stand the WAR ones. Especially the like cross slash combo you can do by clipping bloodspiller with edge of shadow. The sword really feels weighty and it has all those cool magic effects.

Meanwhile WAR just feels like you're awkwardly holding a paper mache prop, and I've always hated the fell cleave animation.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Clarste posted:

Just make it give actual invincibility instead of "cannot go below 1 HP" and then anyone would be able to heal it up.

That wouldn't actually change anything re: healing the status, since it already only tracks healing received and not whether or not you get healed to full. You can never go above 50% HP and still get the status removed. That said, it would be a pretty good change.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If you don't get healed to 100% by the time Living Dead wears off it should just give you rez sickness or something instead of killing you

Also DRK should be able to spend Darkside timer on something since they're forced to generate so much of it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If fell cleave had a crunchier animation Warrior would be the perfect job.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Living Dead should just not be poo poo, instead of improving it with a better smelling flavour of poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The animation, level, and general purpose of Oblation makes it feel like it was originally an upgrade to TBN but they couldn't figure out how to make it work, so instead it's just a bad feeling low impact button with a cool animation.

Combined with the "reduce the cooldown on Plunge by 5 seconds" trait and I think a lot of old DRK players feel like their job just got a shrug and doesn't have a clear direction or identity anymore. It's definitely fine numerically but I can feel that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Their numbers are fine but in the most boring way possible. They just have a bunch of oGCDs they can spam during burst windows, instead of anything interesting or that interacts with their kit mechanics.

Instead of hitting Dark Arts before any ability, you just hit Plunge, or Carve and Spit, or Salted Earth, or Living Shadow, or Salt and Darkness, or Edge of Shadow, or Shadowbringer.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 28, 2022