Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Idk man I just hate bands that revolve around dumb shticks

*proceeds to listen to a 2 minute horror movie sample followed by 45 seconds of Mortician*

haha! *resumes listening to every popular contemporary metal band*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
this is interesting

https://rectalcollapse.bandcamp.com/album/neuropsychological-dominance-of-the-unconscious?from=discover-new

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hi everyone. I'm listeining to Skeletnwitch's last album (2018, yikes). Is Chance a vocalist for anyone these days? I'd like to hear what he's putting out, if anything, cuz this album sucks rear end. Thanks.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A cursory check says no, since he got fired he hasn't done vocals on anything.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

A cursory check says no, since he got fired he hasn't done vocals on anything.

gently caress, that's too bad. Thanks for looking that up tho!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its really shocking how ghost just keeps getting worse and worse

I dug Prequelle a bunch. I'll listen to the new one when we get it

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The only Witch you'll ever really need...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'd argue anything with Chance is solid. Glad I got to see them like 3 times.

He was somewhat active on Insta and he just does construction stuff right now.

https://www.instagram.com/chancegarnette/

It's a shame - he's cleaned up and had such a goddamn powerful voice.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The only Witch you'll ever really need...

Serpents Unleashed is essential, imo but yeah this album loving rules.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The last time I saw Skeletonwitch was on Valentine's Day and Chance told us all "it was gonna be a really sweaty one." lol

I really enjoy the Chance stuff. I find the new material is so bland in comparison. Don't know why Chance would run off and take all the good riffs with him, but it appears to be the case. I hope he returns to music some day.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My first ever metal show was Skeletonwitch, (with Chance) Enslaved, and Amon Amarth. Which means SW was the first metal band I ever saw live. They kicked so much rear end. SU and BTP are as good as blackened thrash gets imo

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

My first ever metal show was Skeletonwitch, (with Chance) Enslaved, and Amon Amarth. Which means SW was the first metal band I ever saw live. They kicked so much rear end. SU and BTP are as good as blackened thrash gets imo

Is Enslaved the one where the guy takes (and leaves) the stage with the stupid goat head ceremony or is that Behemoth? I don't think i've laughed that hard at a show before, but that clown in his makeup and the ooga-booga satanic ritual was too much for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Trolling Thunder posted:

Is Enslaved the one where the guy takes (and leaves) the stage with the stupid goat head ceremony or is that Behemoth? I don't think i've laughed that hard at a show before, but that clown in his makeup and the ooga-booga satanic ritual was too much for me.

That's definitely Behemoth. Enslaved are just some dudes who like vikings.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sounds like a good time to me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trolling Thunder posted:

That's Behemoth. Enslaved are kinda proggy "black metal". They were pretty good when I saw them!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Snowy posted:

Sounds like a good time to me

Aye, I love me some theatrics.

This popped up on my feed, was pretty decent. Loving the mario coin sounds too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbzLG5p9Vs

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just a couple good things.

Do you like Life of Agony? Then you’ll love this poo poo. More prominent 90s hardcore influence than LoA had, but the inspiration is clear.

https://youtu.be/rAZqwOme9dg

Old Iron has a split coming out in a bit, which reminded me of this. Sludge/postish, alternating between insane heaviness and atmospherics:

https://youtu.be/y1osy6gdTuQ

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kvlt! posted:

I saw this tour in Atlanta. I was extremely impressed with Skeletonwitch live. Like loving blown away.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

henpod posted:

Aye, I love me some theatrics.

This popped up on my feed, was pretty decent. Loving the mario coin sounds too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbzLG5p9Vs

i am into this

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I actually don't remember who was playing with Skeletonwitch, but I saw them in a tiny club in Albany like ten years ago. Small crowd & stood way too close to the speakers. Bought a shirt from Chance afterwards and he was super nice, still have the shirt

edit - also, have a very long list of bands/albums to check out from this thread & a few others. Just dipping into Havukruunu. Wild stuff

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 26, 2022

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
So the new Battle Beast has me looking around for more women singers in power metal. I know of Release the Archers. Who else should I be checking out?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Trolling Thunder posted:

So the new Battle Beast has me looking around for more women singers in power metal. I know of Release the Archers. Who else should I be checking out?

The first grip of Dark Moor albums are all timers and are probably my favorite pm albums with a woman on vox.
Ancient Bards are great, big shoutout to Elvenstorm for being very fast and aggro, same for Forgotten Tales who have a pretty heavy trad edge to them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

The first grip of Dark Moor albums are all timers and are probably my favorite pm albums with a woman on vox.
Ancient Bards are great, big shoutout to Elvenstorm for being very fast and aggro, same for Forgotten Tales who have a pretty heavy trad edge to them.

Perfect. Thank you! Off to spotify I go.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Speaking of things popping up in the YT feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7shmyN2gII

New band of ex In Flames members, nothing groundbreaking but a throwback to that Whoracle sound

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mmmm, nostalgic for my 20's. :lol:

Goddamn I was all in on ... err ... In Flames - Reroute to Remain was such an insane swerve.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

szary posted:

Speaking of things popping up in the YT feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7shmyN2gII

New band of ex In Flames members, nothing groundbreaking but a throwback to that Whoracle sound

maybe it's my inability to separate mikael stanne from DT but these tracks sound like dark tranquility b-sides more than any in flames track past or present

This one I like better than Shadowminds though

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

new meshuggah track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-xZNOwdJo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The first single from them was real "sure I guess this is better than anything IF has done in 15 years but that bar's on the floor" but this new single is good on it's own.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sounds good.

I always have this hosed up thing about Meshuggah. I consider their discography, even those awkward early years where they didn’t know what they were yet, to be perfect.

But every time they release something new, I expect them to finally slip. That’s gotten more pronounced because of their long release cycle, and because so many kids swarmed, belatedly, onto the “djent” thing.

So, no matter how much I end up liking their poo poo in the longrun, I wonder when they’ll put something out and I’ll be like, “gently caress, y’all old and out of touch.”

Hasn’t happened yet, but every loving time they release something I feel that way. Weird.

E: not that there’s anything wrong with a more melodic approach at all, but I think I’ve felt that way since ObZen since that’s when their approach started getting adopted more widely, and they responded to it by going more tuneful. Well, as tuneful as they get anyhow.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2022

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Messuggah put on the best metal show I’ve ever been to.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That Meshuggah track absolutely fuckin slaps

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

got taken down, i knew it was only a matter of time lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guess they got a SICK lyric video coming up.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Trolling Thunder posted:

Adding a few names to what Nazz mentioned:

Crystal Viper. I personally never got really into them, but they're solid.

Frozen Crown. I'm a bit conflicted on their singer. I wouldn't call her vocals powerful or technically impressive, but somehow I still kinda like her voice.

Seven Spires. They don't just play power metal, but when they do it's some 1st class old Kamelot worship. Clean, raspy, screamy, growly, Adrienne Cowan is great in any style she sings.

Wild card: Liliac. Now, bear with me. They're hard rock/trad rather than power metal. They're also five siblings with their dad as their producer. Their marketing and social media presence is... a bit awkward, to put it diplomatically. Their videos... well, yeah. BUT: The bottom line is, they play some good tunes and Melody is an outstanding rock singer. Not just "pretty good", she has a world class rock rasp. I really hope they can keep their poo poo together going forward.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 27, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Trolling Thunder posted:

Oathbreaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U97qnHS0Nvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVRg5X7UW4

Nocturnal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SqpCTuhLY

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
thank you, friends

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Do you like Life of Agony? Then you’ll love this poo poo. More prominent 90s hardcore influence than LoA had, but the inspiration is clear.

https://youtu.be/rAZqwOme9dg

Age of Apocalypse is great, love the LP. A real force live too.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Release day Friday:

Krallice, atmoblack
Dawn of Solace, gothic doom
Sarcasm, melodeath
Schrat, bm
Celeste, sludgy atmoblack
Night Hag, death doom
The Last 10 Seconds of Life, dxc
Agvirre, atmoblack (not fully released on BC)
Vile Ritual, my good buddy's blackened death project
Emerald Sun, pm
Deathcult, blackened death
Benthik Zone, atmoblack
Revenge, speed
Malefic Throne, dm
Mur, funeral doom
Muert, blackened death
Tension, trad
AngelBlast, dm
Tormentor Tyrant, dm
Rotborn, dm
Unenbalmed, dm
Sperm, death doom
The Mist From the Mountains, meloblack

drat, lots of people waited for today to drop albums

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I must have missed quite a few albums, because that new Krallice record sounds like uninspired rear end. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Unrelated to new releases, but Dark Tranquillity's old guitarist Frederik Johansson passed away a couple days ago from cancer. Band's statement is here. Sad stuff, seems like he was a real good guy that would buy fans tickets to virtual shows during covid if they couldn't afford it 2 decades after he was no longer in the band. Gonna give The Gallery and The Mind's I a few spins today for sure.