Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My boss wants me to see if we can return a Sruface Pro we've had for 4 months. It does'nt have an LTE modem built in.

The person that it was bought for (he refuses to use it) says he had an 'aircard' in his MacBook Air that we don't let him use anymore. Tried explaining to my boss that that is not something Apple has ever offered in their laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

My colleague is fine, she was the one being demeaned.

Sack the client. If people want to clean the industry up then it takes actual actions.

Edit: Not aimed at you, I have no idea if you have the power to make this happen.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

My boss wants me to see if we can return a Sruface Pro we've had for 4 months. It does'nt have an LTE modem built in.

The person that it was bought for (he refuses to use it) says he had an 'aircard' in his MacBook Air that we don't let him use anymore. Tried explaining to my boss that that is not something Apple has ever offered in their laptops.

Fwiw, “air card” was a common term for usb cellular modems for a while

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Fwiw, “air card” was a common term for usb cellular modems for a while

Yea. But my boss is misunderstanding that it's built into his machine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Outside of situations where you're giving field workers rugged tablets with LTE modems built in, I can't really see the use case for integrated LTE now that everybody can just tether to their smartphone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Sack the client. If people want to clean the industry up then it takes actual actions.

Edit: Not aimed at you, I have no idea if you have the power to make this happen.

Yeah... at the very least I think you have an obligation to bring it up to management on your side saying that it made you uncomfortable and that you are not okay with colleagues being treated that way by clients.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Outside of situations where you're giving field workers rugged tablets with LTE modems built in, I can't really see the use case for integrated LTE now that everybody can just tether to their smartphone.

I dont know if its different now but back in the day you couldnt be on a call and using the phone at the same time, and we'd have sales people complaining, so our org would spring for the built in modem.

EDIT: That also reminds me of a sales VP trying to host a 50+ Lync (it was that far back) sales call on his cell phone while driving, and then bitching to IT when it wouldnt work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That shouldn't be an issue anymore now that everything is VoLTE.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

He's got a puck/jetpack thingy

The backstory to this is the guy had a MacBook Air that he loved.

BECAUSE SECURITY we won't let him use it. So we got him a crappy dell 5320 2-in-1 which he rightfully hates. My boss keeps telling him "You can use it just like an iPad!"

Anyway, he's a bigshot sales guy so he's been fighting us on it, so we got him a Surface Pro because that will solve his problems. But the camera on it isn't compatible with our 2FA solution, we got a patch but it didn't help. He refused to take it with him last time he was here so it's been sitting in the IT room for months.

I don't know why we can't just stick some antivirus or whatever on his MacBook so that it meets whatever checklist and we can be done with it.

Also he has an AOL.com email address that he uses for work and my boss spazzes out about that. He refuses to use our company email because that's how all our customers know him and it's been published in papers etc for the last 30 years. I can kind of see his point just don't send any missile or airplane drawings with it.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pissing me off today:
Another company that sends no confirmation through email when you apply for a job and a different company requiring a cover letter like it's 1992.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah... at the very least I think you have an obligation to bring it up to management on your side saying that it made you uncomfortable and that you are not okay with colleagues being treated that way by clients.

Oh yeah 100% I talked to management about it and they're talking to the client about it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Today in response to news of the PwnKit CVE I found out that my company has no regular patching schedule, or policy even, for Linux/Unix hosts.

Yup....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Oh yeah 100% I talked to management about it and they're talking to the client about it.

Thanks for doing the right thing. It doesn't fix it all the time, but I feel like having those conversations at aggregate has to got to be better for our industry than not.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

lol wtf 8x8.

Opened a ticket because we couldn't change a field on an attendant menu, basically it was a "Press 0 to go to the on-call tech" and it would forward to their cell.

T1 can't fix it, they escalate to T2, at some point overnight T2 decided to just delete the AA then tell us to recreate it. That was a fun wakeup call because the client's main number just wouldn't go through....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume 8x8 have grown massively since 2020 because their support is absolute dogshit now

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just had to install loving TurboTax on someone's computer so we can do 1099's since apparently D365 can't do it in our setup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SHI
I WANT TO BUY FROM YOU
I HAVE LEFT MESSAGES
I HAVE FILLED OUT YOUR ONLINE FORM
CALLL MMEEEEE

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Some loving salesman is texting me at my personal number because I had to call him while working from home like 9 months back. Buddy, we are going back and forth on this quote over email, in what world did you think it was ok to text me to ask if I had seen what you sent?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Some loving salesman is texting me at my personal number because I had to call him while working from home like 9 months back. Buddy, we are going back and forth on this quote over email, in what world did you think it was ok to text me to ask if I had seen what you sent?

Sales people are always as aggressive as you let them be because the people who aren't burn out and leave sales.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I'd terminate that process and CC his boss on the email explaining why. gently caress that poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wibla posted:

I'd terminate that process and CC his boss on the email explaining why. gently caress that poo poo.

We had already committed to signing the quote before he started this poo poo, we were just going back and forth trying to resolve a tax exemption issue. If we were not already at the 11th hour I absolutely would have because this pisses me off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guess what? If you put a PC in a steel cabinet and close the doors, the wireless keyboard and mouse won't work very well!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Also he has an AOL.com email address that he uses for work and my boss spazzes out about that.

Not trying to call you out specifically about this, Bob, but I did want to make a note. I hope we are all being cognizant on the forums, and in our lives, not to perpetuate the ableism or bigotry of the past. I certainly know I have been guilty of it, throwing around phrases like "that's gay" or "that's retarded" when I was younger. Looking back, I am sure I hurt some people with those words. I read this sentence and honestly didn't even bat an eyelash, but a few people were kind enough to point it out to me and get me to think about it. For those of you who don't realize, "spazzes out" is a derogatory term that specifically references people with motor or neurological issues.

I know language is a slow-moving thing and there's some awkwardness as we form a consensus of it as a society, and that that can sometimes be frustrating. I just wanted to say that I hope we are all reflecting on this sort of thing as we go about our lives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not trying to call you out specifically about this, Bob, but I did want to make a note. I hope we are all being cognizant on the forums, and in our lives, not to perpetuate the ableism or bigotry of the past. I certainly know I have been guilty of it, throwing around phrases like "that's gay" or "that's retarded" when I was younger. Looking back, I am sure I hurt some people with those words. I read this sentence and honestly didn't even bat an eyelash, but a few people were kind enough to point it out to me and get me to think about it. For those of you who don't realize, "spazzes out" is a derogatory term that specifically references people with motor or neurological issues.

Never heard that before but thanks I guess.

Is there a list of offensive words somewhere? I'm not being sarcastic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Never heard that before but thanks I guess.

Is there a list of offensive words somewhere? I'm not being sarcastic.

Not that I'm aware of. The thing that I try to use as a reference in our profession is Google's guidelines on the topic. https://developers.google.com/style/inclusive-documentation

I know it can be hard to know what words are offensive if you don't know the root or history of them. Certainly we've all been tripped up by that. That's why I think it's good to be a bit introspective about not just the words we use, but how we say them.

Using that sentence as an example, it wouldn't have made it any less clear to say "Also he has an AOL.com email address that he uses for work and of course that frustrates my boss to no end."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not that I'm aware of. The thing that I try to use as a reference in our profession is Google's guidelines on the topic. https://developers.google.com/style/inclusive-documentation

I know it can be hard to know what words are offensive if you don't know the root or history of them. Certainly we've all been tripped up by that. That's why I think it's good to be a bit introspective about not just the words we use, but how we say them.

Using that sentence as an example, it wouldn't have made it any less clear to say "Also he has an AOL.com email address that he uses for work and of course that frustrates my boss to no end."

I see your point but I think a lot of that is bullshit. Or horse poo poo so I don't offend any bulls. Or feces so I don't offend any animals.

I can understand not using the word cripple in the workplace, but crazy? That's crazy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

welp

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I see your point but I think a lot of that is bullshit. Or horse poo poo so I don't offend any bulls. Or feces so I don't offend any animals.

I can understand not using the word cripple in the workplace, but crazy? That's crazy.

A terrible hill to die on, dude.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It's literally a document a corporation wrote about what to not put on work you do in your day job. Yes, "crazy" is derogatory and also often gendered and you categorically should not use it at work.

The pets vs cattle thing is pretty funny, though. Reminds me of when "boxen" was a term people still used.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wait, we can't use pets vs cattle anymore?!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

wait, we can't use pets vs cattle anymore?!

I had honestly never heard it but I get why it would make some people uncomfortable. Not that I think it's a bad metaphor or that it's inherently verboten to talk about animals being disposable when society at large has decided they categorically are (regardless of whether you agree), but it's a touchy subject and as a tech company not in the business of actually caring for or slaughtering animals, I'd rather call it something else than invite inevitable arguments about it.

boxen is still a good pun

I assume we can still squash bugs though.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Just stop the loving slurs, Bob.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

When I worked at an MSP back in the beginning of my career, one of my big wins was standardizing our server build process. In a couple interviews after that job, I said something like

quote:

This metaphor is a little unpleasant, but I think it communicates exactly what I did - since we were in the small business space, I couldnt make cattle - every business was unique. But what I did do was turn our process into something like that of a puppy mill, where we turned out pets, but... [details in actual technical and quantifiable terms about value added]

I'm past that part of my career so I don't talk about it anymore, but it was definitely a weird thing that happened.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

When I worked at an MSP back in the beginning of my career, one of my big wins was standardizing our server build process. In a couple interviews after that job, I said something like

I'm past that part of my career so I don't talk about it anymore, but it was definitely a weird thing that happened.

So you produced a bunch of inbred monsters that look cute but are categorically bad at surviving?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One word that gives me pause is "janky". To me it absolutely sounds like something that is derogatory towards someone, but after looking it up, nope, it's either slang that showed up in the 80's or maybe comes from Scottish.

Not really a strong argument that it's safe.. but there's nothing I can find saying it's offensive to anyone either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

One word that gives me pause is "janky". To me it absolutely sounds like something that is derogatory towards someone, but after looking it up, nope, it's either slang that showed up in the 80's or maybe comes from Scottish.

Not really a strong argument that it's safe.. but there's nothing I can find saying it's offensive to anyone either.

Sounds to me more like those old timey insults like "whippersnapper" that nobody says anymore but people still use janky for some reason.

Probably because it's fun to say. Janky. Jank. Janked up.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I take issue with the recommendation of using "check for completeness and clarity" instead of "sanity check".

I totally get that implication that something is not sane can be seen as offensive and we need to come up with an alternative, but a check for completeness and clarity is not the same thing as checking to see if data being input and output are out of scope.

Edit: As an example, I was taught in my programming classes to "sanity check" variables before performing operations using them, to make sure they exist and that they are the correct type and range for the operation you're trying to do. This is not something that would come up in a check for "completeness and clarity."

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 28, 2022

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

huh, I always thought "sanity check" was about sanitization, not about "insanity".

Thanks for the link, that will be helpful in our own documentation.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

cage-free egghead posted:

A terrible hill to die on, dude.

i thought spazz had two zs in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I also take issue with some of those recommendations, but as in all things it is a balance. Language evolves over time, but it’s not an instantaneous process, nor is it one that consistently goes in any particular direction, and as in all things there is a balance.

People also hate hate hate being told what to say, so you gotta softball that poo poo and normalize it over time. I think some excellent examples of that are whitelist/blacklist and master/slave. Pretty much everyone is onboard with the latter, and allowlist/denylist *are* more clear, and so it’s slowly percolating through the community.

Replacing “cattle” with “commodities” to appease the vegans is on the other hand absolutely ridiculous *at this moment in time*… at least until we collectively as a society start giving a poo poo about animals, and it permeates through our social unconsciousness. Which you can do by replacing “cattle” with “commodities” in your personal language, among other techniques, and eventually we may get to the point where yeah, it’s more reasonable. I just don’t think we’re there yet, and don’t care enough about animals to lead the way.