Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

stfu about poo poo rear end cars!

this is the best thing ive ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIzLude-_wE seen
there is a cargo version i want for doing errands GOD drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nocturtle posted:

It's even worse:

Here's a bunch of boring information about cars. The point is for the average new car price to come out as ~$50k USD a lot of people must be buying the even more expensive options. Those bloated SUVs that are everywhere apparently cost >$70k on average, had no idea. Surprised there's so much money available to waste on individual vehicles. If it's mainly only rich people that can afford to buy a new car right now it could make sense.

Hello, I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine, the average us consumer, they suffer from a crippling debt addiction.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Most Americans finance their cars and are in debt up to their eyeballs. It's bizarre if you're not used to it. It's considered above and beyond if you buy your car with cash or pay it off quickly.

My car was $2000 and I drive it once a week. It's not even worth the insurance. I want to sell it for an ebike.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Nocturtle posted:

It's even worse:

Here's a bunch of boring information about cars. The point is for the average new car price to come out as ~$50k USD a lot of people must be buying the even more expensive options. Those bloated SUVs that are everywhere apparently cost >$70k on average, had no idea. Surprised there's so much money available to waste on individual vehicles. If it's mainly only rich people that can afford to buy a new car right now it could make sense.

They actually can't afford those vehicles, people are taking out six and seven year loans to pay for them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Most Americans finance their cars and are in debt up to their eyeballs. It's bizarre if you're not used to it. It's considered above and beyond if you buy your car with cash or pay it off quickly.

My car was $2000 and I drive it once a week. It's not even worth the insurance. I want to sell it for an ebike.

Most dealers don't want you to pay cash because they get a commission on car loans they originate

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Suplex Liberace posted:

stfu about poo poo rear end cars!

this is the best thing ive ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIzLude-_wE seen
there is a cargo version i want for doing errands GOD drat!

this is pretty cool. looks expensive, though.

and those axles look pretty flimsy. how much weight can it hold in the cargo area?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Most dealers don't want you to pay cash because they get a commission on car loans they originate

Didn't they used to love cash payments? That may have been decades ago. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

They were trying to push financing on us at the mattress store the other day. Monthly payments for a mattress.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/Lock_Os/status/1487076000387289092?s=20&t=G9SPpl4zda1ld6oNEabcFw

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Nocturtle posted:

The point is for the average new car price to come out as ~$50k USD a lot of people must be buying the even more expensive options.

americans who go out looking for cars fall into one of these categories

• big SUV (need an "everyday vehicle"... but not a car or minivan because the neighbors would think I'm a poor)
• pickup truck (Tom called me "gay" when he saw me driving a car two years ago and I've never stopped thinking about it)
• prius (felt guilty about purchasing a car and hoped this purchase makes up for it)
• subaru (trying to justify intensely bland suburban lifestyle choice by pretending to be an outdoorsman even though they've never once hiked anywhere without an attached parking lot)
• tesla, audi, or bmw (I want other people to think I'm wealthy)

and

• cheap used car - a true comrade, probably a very good person... sees a car for what it is: a tool required by some due to being trapped in the hell cycle of american capitalism

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Jan 28, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Don’t let the customers fool you like that, they really want the Escalade but are poor enough that the bank won’t let them be $100k in debt.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Karach posted:

this is pretty cool. looks expensive, though.

and those axles look pretty flimsy. how much weight can it hold in the cargo area?
125lbs

https://wicycle.com/products/bikes/e-cargo-delivery-bike

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

nomad2020 posted:

Don’t let the customers fool you like that, they really want the Escalade but are poor enough that the bank won’t let them be $100k in debt.

i don't think the banks are turning anyone down! as soon as uber and lyft blew up, seemingly every loving uber driver in nyc bought a black chevy suburban or escalade

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The problem here is that there was a maximum weight limit

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

This bike literally costs more than my car (a used hybrid civic, because I'm a Good Person).

But 125 lbs is pretty good. why not just get a straight-up cargo bike, though? why do you need a transformer?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

You bought a car you don't get to question anyone buying process

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Karach posted:

This bike literally costs more than my car (a used hybrid civic, because I'm a Good Person).

when did you buy it? even if it's a piece of poo poo, if it runs you might be able to get 5 grand for it right now

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Didn't they used to love cash payments? That may have been decades ago. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

They did, but then the auto companies decided to open their own financing arms and as soon as the profits from loans started flowing they stopped wanting cash. The big auto dealership chains also finance cars, so unless you shop somewhere like crazy Eddy's used car lot you're not going to get any sort of deal by paying cash.

e: the pro move is to finance the car and then pay the loan off before the first bill hits

Mayor Dave has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Jan 28, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

when did you buy it? even if it's a piece of poo poo, if it runs you might be able to get 5 grand for it right now

I got it for 5 grand originally a few years ago.

we live in the country. until we get horses, and until they install a hitching post at the grocery store in town, there isn't much choice but to have a car.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My dream is that USDOT or NHTSA or whoever sets some standard that in practice requires every personal vehicle to look like the new USPS trucks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

people would get so mad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, don't tell a car salesman you are paying cash until a price is agreed upon. They will want to charge you more for the car if they know they won't be able to take any extra money from you for financing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My dream is that USDOT or NHTSA or whoever sets some standard that in practice requires every personal vehicle to look like the new USPS trucks

I feel like it would be hard to park but otherwise cool

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the horn is a goose honk and it tasers your balls if you honk it

it also tasers your balls whenever you're in it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Dolphin posted:

the horn is a goose honk and it tasers your balls if you honk it

it also tasers your balls whenever you're in it

USDOT take my money

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

They actually can't afford those vehicles, people are taking out six and seven year loans to pay for them

The average car loan is now up to six years. There was an article a few years ago about how that length has drastically increases over the last decade or so, and how more and more loans are being made with the remainder of the balance of the previous loan rolled into them.

It's looked like a huge bubble for the last five years or so, but it somehow hasn't popped yet, I don't know how.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
suddenly remembering when my dad's company gave him a company car, but it was a sedan and he refused to drive it, instead insisting on commuting two hours both ways every single day in his giant stupid toyota tundra

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
disabling the taser makes it drive off a loving cliff

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

It's looked like a huge bubble for the last five years or so, but it somehow hasn't popped yet, I don't know how.*

*The Auto-Loan Bubble reached Critical Mass in NUMBER Thread, Issue #79! -- Stan

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.quora.com/Why-were-Soviet-cars-so-terrible-Was-communism-mostly-to-blame

quote:

Trust me: Russian cars and trucks are jewels of engineering and mechanics.

Not because of communism but in spite of communism.

Russian cars are one of many examples of the genius of Russian people, not of communism.
lmao

but also russian cars sucked too

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Karach posted:

But 125 lbs is pretty good. why not just get a straight-up cargo bike, though? why do you need a transformer?

I can understand the utility of having it turn into a pram/shopping trolley, not worrying about locking it up when you go to the shops and packing as you shop, it's a neat idea, I'm not sure it's for me, but it's definately for someone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Louisville, Kentucky. Red = surface parking. Purple = garage parking.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Here's a channel chock full of drivers deciding the rules of the road don't apply to them and then getting wildly indignant (and sometimes violent) when someone holds them accountable for their dangerous behavior. I don't know what purely infrastructural solution there could be for the scenario beyond a one-way speed bump that completely blocks wrong-way traffic. Automated camera enforcement, on the other hand would rapidly eliminate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMckoqLbCs8

The guy filming has been at it for years now and is a bit eccentric, but otherwise seems a decent chap.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Here's a channel chock full of drivers deciding the rules of the road don't apply to them and then getting wildly indignant (and sometimes violent) when someone holds them accountable for their dangerous behavior. I don't know what purely infrastructural solution there could be for the scenario beyond a one-way speed bump that completely blocks wrong-way traffic. Automated camera enforcement, on the other hand would rapidly eliminate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMckoqLbCs8

The guy filming has been at it for years now and is a bit eccentric, but otherwise seems a decent chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIDNgsc2-s

I like the guys in Moscow called Stop a Douchebag. They plant huge stickers on windshields of cars driving on their wide sidewalks. I feel for the folks in apartment blocks though but it's a land of contrasts.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
much better systematic solution than holding up your cellphone. I wish people here had the guts to do that to cars also want to know where to get those stickers but don't tell anyone I asked

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxIaK8_xoM

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

• pickup truck (Tom called me "gay" when he saw me driving a car two years ago and I've never stopped thinking about it)

i on ce worked with a guy who owned a hybrid sedan which i remarked on positively because they were rare at the time. i must have said the wrong thing because the next week they'd traded it in for one fo these action man motherfuckers lmfao:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

i on ce worked with a guy who owned a hybrid sedan which i remarked on positively because they were rare at the time. i must have said the wrong thing because the next week they'd traded it in for one fo these action man motherfuckers lmfao:

these and the new landrovers all have this micro machines aesthetic that makes it look like they open up into some sort of miniature theme park for cars. I don’t know if it’s an improvement on the puffy “suffering from a serious skin reaction” look of other vehicles but at least it’s appropriately infantilizing

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/WisconsinDOT/status/1487154690546708484

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Excellence in Concrete Paving