Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mokotow posted:

Should this be pork, veal, chicken or turkey?
Would you throw a fried egg on it?
How about yellow cheese? Mushrooms?
What side would go best with it?

Could be any of them, looks delcious.
Yes, obviously.
Sure, probably good. Mushrooms would also probably be good.
Some sort of mashed potatoes, well seasoned. Maybe some brussels sprouts or something green with a bit of crunch and texture.

What sort of sauce traditionally goes on these delightful looking things?

E: great way to start a page :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Somaen posted:

Dunking on Americans, especially those that found out about EE now and who will leave to become middle East or Asia experts when something starts burning there, is a part of EE culture and a tradition.

I'd be happy to be less opinionated about EE affairs and think they're none of my business, but unfortunately my government doesn't seem to agree. And neither do you!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

For the authentic 90s-00s roadside cafe experience, it should definitely be pork, no egg, but either a tomato and a melted Russian cheese (I think it's a Soviet/post Soviet version of Tilsiter) topping or a mesh pattern of locally produced Provencal mayo. Sides should be crinkle cut fries and a generic cabbage carrot salad.

On a serious note, how bad is the bad power/heating bill situation looking in your respective countries? I'm getting a vibe that there's little potential for actual unrest, but elections could be a bloodbath of protest votes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, you were just the goon I was looking for. Can you tl;dr me current stage of the PiS spyware drama and your parliamentary inquest?

There’s a senate inquest going, since the opposition has a slim majority there. Sadly, the senate’s inquiry doesn’t have prosecutorial rights, and can’t obligate anybody to anything. PiS is ignoring it, but they’ve also blocked an independent security expert from a military academy from testifying by threatening him with who knows what.

The parliament inquiry is actively pursued by Tusk and it seems there’s currently an even split for/against. Paweł Kukiz, a burnt out alcoholic rock star and once political darling, now PiS’s whore, turned the table on them and promised his vote in exchange for the chairman’s seat and scope extension so that POs use of invigilation tools is also within it. PO is fine with that. We’re now waiting for defections to either kill the inquiry or kick poo poo off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is that a Muscovite provocation??

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think we can solve the Ukraine Russia crisis if we just open up a Russian ukranians fusion restaraunt

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How are u posted:

What sort of sauce traditionally goes on these delightful looking things?

I’d hazard a guess that in EE you mostly would not have sauce because of the breading. Some horrible 90’s roadside bar’s would sometimes attempt a cream and mushrooms sauce.

As a kid I remember these would produced en masse for a family gathering - you’s get mashed potatos and a tomato or a piece of salad with. The thing is the babcia’s would churn out like 50 of these bad boys for the whole family and bring them out in a miednica (an oval bucket you’d normally do you clothes washing in because no one would own plates that big)

In Warsaw, traditionally they’re done super simple - pork, breading, mashed potatoes and either mizeria (fresh sliced cucumber in cream with sugar) or peas and carrots. You can grab a plate at a milk bar for 3 EUR.

I expected there to be differences but I’m shocked by what I’m seeing. Mayonnaise would never occur to me. Also, in the Rhein-Ruhr region, chicken is the default, which I don’t think even exists in Poland (not to be confused with chicken kiev, which does, albeit not in a form where you use a wooden hammer to smash it super flat).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mayo on those is a (gross) Latvia/Baltics thing. I didn’t mention it myself mostly because I don’t eat mayo, although I also didn’t interpret the question as to how this is served traditionally.

Mokotow posted:

There’s a senate inquest going, since the opposition has a slim majority there. Sadly, the senate’s inquiry doesn’t have prosecutorial rights, and can’t obligate anybody to anything. PiS is ignoring it, but they’ve also blocked an independent security expert from a military academy from testifying by threatening him with who knows what.

The parliament inquiry is actively pursued by Tusk and it seems there’s currently an even split for/against. Paweł Kukiz, a burnt out alcoholic rock star and once political darling, now PiS’s whore, turned the table on them and promised his vote in exchange for the chairman’s seat and scope extension so that POs use of invigilation tools is also within it. PO is fine with that. We’re now waiting for defections to either kill the inquiry or kick poo poo off.

I see, cheers. Fingers crossed it works out.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 28, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Also the narrative by PiS was absolutely hilarious:

What is Pegasus, you mean the game system (NES clone), right? :smuggo:
There was no Pegasus anywhere, that's fake news
There was Pegasus, but it was used against criminals and only a few people, they were bad (this was actually reported by Kaczynski himself)
We didn't use Pegasus a lot, like no more than a few hundred people (reported by the most broke brained and dumbest PiS guy of them all, Suski).

There are a couple of confirmed cases reported every week or so, including spying on prosecutors not aligned with the party line. The Supreme Audit Office also reported quite a few of illegalities and irregularities, but lol at it being prosecuted right now.

EDIT:

Mokotow posted:

I think the standard way at my place was:
Pork - floured, egged, breaded; no extras on the meat usually - sometimes a slice of cheese on top at the end of frying (kids love melted cheese everywhere right) and I think there was a pineapple slice under the cheese like once or twice in my life
Boiled potatoes; sometimes puree/mashed
Either tomatoes with chives or cucumbers; with either some cream, or greek yoghurt

mmkay fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2022

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Sauce on a schabowy? What is this heresy!?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Somaen posted:

Nah, what I'm implying is that if it was 1938 that's exactly what you would be doing - credulously explaining the grievances of the nutcase holding everyone around hostage while steadily ignoring his actions or the viewpoint of any other actor involved

Because he's not looking at viewpoint of the other actors - the goal is not shedding light on why the others are doing what they're doing, but why Russia is.

The alternative, which we see often enough here, is angrily and incredulously yelling about how Russia Putin (who emerged, fully formed and divorced from any historical geopolitical context, out of the Russian cultural godhead) is uniquely unfathomably moronic and evil, unable to pin his actions into coherent goals other than being evil for evil's sake, like a lain off blue collar worker asked why he thinks the Chinese are outcompeting his industry declaring "because they hate our freedoms".

Not every attempt to understand a situation is carrying water for the bad actors involved, or a preamble for genocide denial.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

Is melted cheese sauce? 🤔

Edit: sweet jezusiczku, this is some morbid poo poo https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...mobile&ie=UTF-8

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

szary posted:

Yeah, some places here in Podlasie serve it with mushroom gravy. It doesn't work.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Pork, veal or chicken.
God, why? There is already an egg there. Double cover it if you want.
Edam and mushrooms should be breaded and fried separately.
Another shnitzel. Lacking necessary schnitzels you might use potatoes, potato products, bread or brioche. They should be served with bit of butter and small wedge of lemon. Mayonnaise and ketchup are fine in brioches and utterly unacceptable with mashed potatoes. Vegetable side salad might be used to lighten the mouth feel of schnitzel and potatoes, but pickles work as fine and are not silly superfluous side salad.

Gladi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I remember having a schnitzel with green sauce in Frankfurt, which is apparently a thing there and that also doesn’t work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fra...8&bih=751&dpr=3

Also is schnitzel and schabowy the same thing

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
When the viewpoint is laughably disguised excuses for neo-colonialism along with "why did you get in the way of our Serbian brothers!?" [genociding] there is little point in giving it much air.

And, frankly, the idea that Russian PoV is underrepresented is ridiculous, and ignores how the Western media has largely adopted Russian frames on everything and failed to point out blatant lies.

Somehow laughable lies by a dictator are more important than this:
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1485862078091042816?cxt=HHwWgIC53YDs654pAAAA

And for these saying that your country shouldn't get involved: sure, then it should stop doing business with Russia. The moment it's not bankrolling their army is the moment it's actually not involved.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

That’s a tenderloin. Here in Iowa (and much of the Midwest) it’s pork, served on a bun, with fries. Typical condiments include ketchup, mustard or Mayo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because he's not looking at viewpoint of the other actors - the goal is not shedding light on why the others are doing what they're doing, but why Russia is.

The alternative, which we see often enough here, is angrily and incredulously yelling about how Russia Putin (who emerged, fully formed and divorced from any historical geopolitical context, out of the Russian cultural godhead) is uniquely unfathomably moronic and evil, unable to pin his actions into coherent goals other than being evil for evil's sake, like a lain off blue collar worker asked why he thinks the Chinese are outcompeting his industry declaring "because they hate our freedoms".

Not every attempt to understand a situation is carrying water for the bad actors involved, or a preamble for genocide denial.

I’m sure you have legitimate reasons to be upset that there’s a lack of outpouring enthusiasm for a run of the mill Russia apologism, different from previous hundreds of similar takes in the iterations of this thread only by somehow necessitating 1800 words this time to, arguably, poorly convey the message. That said, you could enjoy more useful conversations if you can find in yourself the strength to post not just at largely imaginary posting enemies, but also at real people actually participating in this thread.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Mokotow posted:

I remember having a schnitzel with green sauce in Frankfurt, which is apparently a thing there and that also doesn’t work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fra...8&bih=751&dpr=3

Also is schnitzel and schabowy the same thing

My experiences with the polish version is that it is very easily breaded and does not really form a firm "skin".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

selec posted:

That’s a tenderloin. Here in Iowa (and much of the Midwest) it’s pork, served on a bun, with fries. Typical condiments include ketchup, mustard or Mayo.

What sort of bun. Like a brioche burger bun or something else? They go VERY well between two slices of sourbread.

And the condiments, these would go onto the meat or as a side for the fries?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mokotow posted:

What sort of bun. Like a brioche burger bun or something else? They go VERY well between two slices of sourbread.

Bread is typically white bread buns, maybe with sesame seed. I get mine on pretzel buns if I can. I take mine with Mayo, pickles and hot sauce on the sandwich itself.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m sure you have legitimate reasons to be upset that there’s a lack of outpouring enthusiasm for a run of the mill Russia apologism, different from previous hundreds of similar takes in the iterations of this thread only by somehow necessitating 1800 words this time to, arguably, poorly convey the message. That said, you could enjoy more useful conversations if you can find in yourself the strength to post not just at largely imaginary posting enemies, but also at real people actually participating in this thread.

Well put. I shall strive to balance the scales in the opposite direction, then.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mokotow posted:

burger bun or white bread. On the meat. Ketchup or ketchup and mayo mixed together for the fries. Sour bread's too fancy for the midwest. bread selection is not great here unless you bake it yourself. I would put a light colored cheese like provolone or swiss on it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Somaen posted:

Dunking on Americans, especially those that found out about EE now and who will leave to become middle East or Asia experts when something starts burning there, is a part of EE culture and a tradition.

loving lol that you edited your post to put this snipe in (just like you did with your post I quoted) but deliberately made it a blind quote.

If you want a space to chat with other EE people without us nefarious and stupid Americans posting, try Discord. As has been pointed out my government is very much involved in what's going on in Eastern Europe, for better or worse, and so this topic is of great interest to me, and I'm not going to stop posting in this thread.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What’s your favorite eastern European food, friend? I think it’s helpful to note most jewish cuisine is tied to EE, too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Honest question: why are so many people defending/excusing Russia itt American? Did Trump broke so many brains there?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Honest question: why are so many people defending/excusing Russia itt American? Did Trump broke so many brains there?

Honest question: why are so many people interpreting discussions of antecedents to the current crisis as defending/excusing Russia?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

He did, but not among SA posters. Here it would be more likely Chomsky.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Terminally Bored posted:

Because the American military is the largest terrorist group on Earth and any potential action it takes is always as a default worse than non action.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Terminally Bored posted:

Honest answer: us Americans have been subject to our own imperial propaganda for a very long time, about how every horrific intervention was good, how every small nation we blew up and privatized had it coming. Most of it has been about the Cold War/the superficial role of the US as lord protector of capitalism and freedom, as you can imagine. It can be difficult once peeling all that back and rejecting it to not to swing some ways (there are fine gradations of t his) in the other direction and just take for granted that whatever political faction the US is superficially supporting in whatever conflict, is simply a puppet of the American Empire and is just functioning as a vector for American imperialism over the people of the region. I don't think there's a ton of pro-Russia (there certainly is some) as much as (well-deserved, perhaps slightly mismanaged) intense anti-America sentiment.

My take tends to be that it's a lot less well-manicured than that, that the US deep state is not that infinitely competent, that we're mostly just flailing out shortsightedly, not perfectly capturing our proxies, but the impulse is there.

My feelings are a lot more complex than this, sorry for the clumsy wording.

e: ^ could've just said that, that more or less sums up my feelings too.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Conspiratiorist posted:

Friend, many of us here grew up in the russian informational field and are super aware of the historical beefs and grievances of the military grandpas ruling Russia mixed with the nationalist mythology passed from generation to generation by taxi drivers and babushkas that are translated from the untreated minds of the generals straight to narratives on state television. You don't have to trawl through 20 year old articles to do it, Putin, Patrushev and Medvedev wrote fairly recent articles about how Ukraine is a wayward child and it's Russia's moral mission to be a Christian state against the woke ungodly mobs. Frankly the constant reechoing of their deranged ideology is loving tiring enough, you don't have to take their thinly veiled lies at face value and proceed to analyze them in addition to that. You can instead base your knowledge on their actions for the past 20 years and dunk on them as evil people that they are.

TipTow posted:

loving lol that you edited your post to put this snipe in (just like you did with your post I quoted) but deliberately made it a blind quote.

It's hard to quote while editing from my phone. I don't care about your posting or where you're from, but the Russia-explainers here are mostly American. It's totally ok when people approach the topic from a position to understand the people from the region and the situation on it better, and ask questions rather than dishing out takes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Terminally Bored posted:

there's a tendency among some in the american left to see everything in campist terms, wherein the world is divided between the imperialists (US, NATO, ANZUS, etc) and the anti-imperialists (Russia, China, Syria, Venezuela, Iran). opposing american imperialism means necessarily supporting the latter group and defending/denying its exploitative practices.

this isn't a new phenomenon. it dates back to the cold war.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On one hand I have no doubt that if anybody can figure out a way to make things worse for ukraine than if it was occupied by russia, it is USA who can. On the other, you do not have to, under any circumstances, hand it to isis russia.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

QuoProQuid posted:

anti-imperialists (Russia, China

How broken a brain has to be to even start contemplating this?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TipTow posted:

Honest question: why are so many people interpreting discussions of antecedents to the current crisis as defending/excusing Russia?

Look, I know NATO despite all intentions is not really a saintly group of nations unified in search of world peace but here we have one country threatening to conquer another country. Also, they already invaded part of it few years back. No one threatened Russia, there would not be any conflict if not for Russia. It's as clear cut as a modern war could get. Going 'well ackshually' on the subject will be met with jeers.

QuoProQuid posted:

there's a tendency among some in the american left to see everything in campist terms, wherein the world is divided between the imperialists (US, NATO, ANZUS, etc) and the anti-imperialists (Russia, China, Syria, Venezuela, Iran). opposing american imperialism means necessarily supporting the latter group and defending/denying its exploitative practices.

I see. This makes sense. It says way more about Americans and their feelings towards their own country than the situation here, tho.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You would think they'd realize that Russia invading a smaller country isn't that different from the US invading a smaller country, though.

e: Also:
Pork, chicken only if you can't get real meat. No other ingredients on it (POSSIBLY, if you're feeling VERY posh, you can scatter some shredded parmegianno over it), but serve it with either potato salad or creamy mashed potatoes with bits of fried onion. Alternatively, the perfect travel meal - stick it between two slices of bread that optionally can have a very thin layer of mustard. Pickles optional, having a drink handy recommended.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 28, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

I think that tendency does exist, but personally I do think that while Russia is a worse/more openly brutal country than the US, as an American it's reasonable for me to prioritize scaling back my own country's imperialist ambitions rather than focusing on the decisions of a country I can't do much about. Like yeah if the US can prevent Russia from messing with Ukraine in a way that doesn't come with any blowback, great, but in the real world blowback from meddling in Eastern Europe arguably already got Trump elected in 2016, and also 'see, US imperialism is good and just after all' is a scarier slippery slope to me than Russian incursions in Ukraine. Like it or not, US imperialism has a much higher body count over the last few decades than Russian imperialism, even if only because the US has had more opportunity.

I'm not even really an isolationist who wants to dismantle NATO and pull the US out of Europe entirely, but I think Ukraine's basically none of our business. People like to point out how massive European economies are compared to Russia's, so let Europe take the lead if they want to.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 28, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pointing out how Russia views the situation is not the same thing as endorsing or agreeing with that viewpoint. We should be able to have discussions about how another actor views a situation decoupled from whether that view is good or bad, but alas some people just aren't capable of that.

https://unherd.com/2020/02/eugenics-is-possible-is-not-the-same-as-eugenics-is-good/

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Pointing out how Russia views the situation is not the same thing as endorsing or agreeing with that viewpoint. We should be able to have discussions about how another actor views a situation decoupled from whether that view is good or bad, but alas some people just aren't capable of that.

https://unherd.com/2020/02/eugenics-is-possible-is-not-the-same-as-eugenics-is-good/

Oh, the Joe Rogan way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

e: Also:

Pork, chicken only if you can't get real meat. No other ingredients on it (POSSIBLY, if you're feeling VERY posh, you can scatter some shredded parmegianno over it), but serve it with either the potato salad or creamy mashed potatos with bits of fried onion. Alternatively, the perfect travel meal - stick it between two slices of bread that optionally can have a very thin layer of mustard. Pickles optional, having a drink handy recommended.

Oh yeah, you get it.