Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Strong Sauce posted:

Creature - Human Samurai

~ gets +2/+0 for each other modified creature you control (Equipment, Auras you control, and counters are modifications.)

I like how the description for this was probably like "punk samurai with pompadour" and the western artist was like "ah so he's kinda like Elvis looking" and the Japanese artist looked over and said "you are like a baby" and cracked their knuckles loudly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

I like how the description for this was probably like "punk samurai with pompadour" and the western artist was like "ah so he's kinda like Elvis looking" and the Japanese artist looked over and said "you are like a baby" and cracked their knuckles loudly
both of them look great in different ways

the japanese one is just a bancho

the english one is just travis touchdown with a mace

also the prof absolutely torches Double Feature, wow I did not realize both how poo poo it all looks and also that it's not curated at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Phy0NKe1s&hd=1

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought koth was dead or implied to be dead in a piece of side fiction

I thought Urabrask was too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
definitely gonna watch a video with "FAIL" in big red letters on the thumbnail

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

flatluigi posted:

let us know how the video is then, thanks!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

uggy posted:

let us know how the video is then, thanks!

he doesn't like it and spends enough time making GBS threads on it to successfully continue making money off of his videos

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

flatluigi posted:

he doesn't like it

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

flatluigi posted:

you didn't, that code only works when the set releases

it flashed code redeemed successfully though and then gave me an error

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

1BG

Enchantment Creature - Cat Beast (Uncommon)

Menace

When ~ enters the battlefield, return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

If ~ dies, exile it instead.

Had one of those, "holy poo poo this is better than Blank" (Eternal Witness) moments but then re-read it like 4 times and think it's probably only limited applicable unless there's a really good enchantress deck in standard.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

flatluigi posted:

he doesn't like it and spends enough time making GBS threads on it to successfully continue making money off of his videos
log off

the video is good and an in-depth examination of why it's so bad compared to similar products released at similar times/price points, dunno why you're being like this

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

both of them look great in different ways

the japanese one is just a bancho

the english one is just travis touchdown with a mace

also the prof absolutely torches Double Feature, wow I did not realize both how poo poo it all looks and also that it's not curated at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Phy0NKe1s&hd=1

I thought it was 36 packs a box and still seemed questionable. Big lol at paying $200 for 24 packs of worse art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah if they'd gone for the monster movie poster style like that secret lair, even one per pack, I would have even remotely considered it. but they're not even trying.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Devor posted:

You're going to gently caress up a draft match by not realizing that the rules have been updated

You are correct that’s what I get for not reading 5 years of rules updates during my abscence from mtg

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

log off

the video is good and an in-depth examination of why it's so bad compared to similar products released at similar times/price points, dunno why you're being like this

because i used to enjoy watching his videos and got real tired with how he got worse and worse once he started realizing that he needed to cater to the worst of the community, and clickbait thumbnails like that just make me tired. i don't have anything against you if you still enjoy it but i just can only take so much negativity and actively don't want to seek out people who dedicate their careers to it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What purpose does a deathtouch counter that doesn't give deathtouch serve? Or any counter that doesn't grant what it says, you know what I mean.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

because i used to enjoy watching his videos and got real tired with how he got worse and worse once he started realizing that he needed to cater to the worst of the community, and clickbait thumbnails like that just make me tired. i don't have anything against you if you still enjoy it but i just can only take so much negativity and actively don't want to seek out people who dedicate their careers to it

The clickbait thumbnail is basically a requirement to be successful at youtube. Its how he makes a living. Its cringe, but its weird to criticize him personally for it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

The clickbait thumbnail is basically a requirement to be successful at youtube. Its how he makes a living. Its cringe, but its weird to criticize him personally for it.

nothing i'm saying is personal, just that it makes me exhausted and i'm bummed that he's no longer making stuff i can enjoy

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I like the Professor but his, "is this draft box worth it" videos are dumb. I don't watch his commander content though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What purpose does a deathtouch counter that doesn't give deathtouch serve? Or any counter that doesn't grant what it says, you know what I mean.

it does give deathtouch. it's an ability counter which is a mechanic they introduced in ikoria, reused in kaldheim, and have made deciduous (it won't be in every set but it's something they'll continue to use for the forseeable future when it's useful)

it came back for this set because it's something that counts for the 'modified' mechanic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The problem is clearly with The Professor and not wotc releasing a bunch of poo poo products

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I think the misinterpretation was that it was like the cage counters from Mairsil, fetch counters from Pako, or croak counters from Grolnok, where it's a named counter which only has an effect in relation to other cards, but no intrinsic effect of its own.

edit: the Myojin cycle from earlier Kamigawa had a similar style of counter exchange, but they hadn't invented ability counters yet. I suspect the "divinity" counters would have just been "indestructible" counters if it had come later

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 28, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I only play Arena but I am glad I watched that video as he points out how lovely and sleazy this particular money play (I know, WOTC, LOL) is. I thought it was a good video.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

he reviews most of their products and gives even-handed and well-explained reviews to most things, but this one is particularly egregious in a way that is pretty insulting to the people they're trying to sell it to, so he's way more aggro towards it than he usually is.

stop worrying about thumbnails and focus on the content of the video. clickbait thumbnails are just how things are now, accept it or stop using youtube. he provides a welcome service both reviewing the products with a particularly critical eye, and warning people of scam products, etc. he's a good egg.

in particular, I did not realize this fit in the same wheelhouse as time spiral remastered and the various masters sets, and when I realized that it's priced similarly to a master's set and being a rehash of older stuff like TSM, but lacking the quality of either with a visual style that is simply a total failure, it put it into even starker perspective how poo poo a product double feature is. I was thinking of picking up a box but I'm definitely not going to now unless that poo poo starts getting put on fire sale.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

You know the thumbnail has no relation to the actual video content right? His videos are as high quality, well reasoned, and relevant as ever so imo your tales are completely backwards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And he pays his writers unlike the vast majority of magic youtubers.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This rules. A better Krosan Tusker.

Does not draw a card. Strictly worse.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Nastier Nate posted:

You are correct that’s what I get for not reading 5 years of rules updates during my abscence from mtg

*forces my 12-year-old prerelease opponent to mark down manaburn damage because I haven't played since Revised*

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
I think the "deathtouch counter doesn't actually give deathtouch" thing is more about how if you ninjutsu in Kappa Tech-Wrecker and burn the counter on the ability, you're left with a vanilla 1/3 on the field after, which is something that's easy to forget when you think "oh, it has a deathtouch counter, AND removal" when your reading comprehension is low.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Devor posted:

*forces my 12-year-old prerelease opponent to mark down manaburn damage because I haven't played since Revised*

it took me way longer then i care to admit to figure out the new mulligan rule

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Does not draw a card. Strictly worse.

For limited putting a land into play for 3 rather than to your hand is probably better even without the extra card.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

mcmagic posted:

For limited putting a land into play for 3 rather than to your hand is probably better even without the extra card.

God drat it. I'm the corncob.

What's the "Channel" ability word supposed to evoke? Cause it sure as hell ain't the card Channel.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

God drat it. I'm the corncob.

What's the "Channel" ability word supposed to evoke? Cause it sure as hell ain't the card Channel.

Used to be only on Spirits in the Kamigawa set. Like you were Channeling a spirit's presence. Like, here's a spirit that has first strike, it has a channel ability that turns it into an instant speed first strike combat trick.

Now it's just like, here's Channel I guess because we're on Kamigawa again.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Has channel been on any normal creatures or are they all lands and enchantments?

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Sampatrick posted:

Has channel been on any normal creatures or are they all lands and enchantments?

Dave Humphries talked about this in his article today - Channel is only showing up on lands, enchantments and artifacts in this set.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sampatrick posted:

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/1487154454683996160?s=21

The Goblin’s an awesome Limited/Cube card, god drat.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I love all the Equipment Creatures. Would be nice to get a Tatsumasa ref at mythic.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/1487154454683996160?s=21

The Goblin’s an awesome Limited/Cube card, god drat.

Bold of WotC to print an invitational card for their product team.