Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

really would prefer more gaa than aa7 at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Same, honestly even though I enjoyed the 3DS Ace Attorney games at the time GAA Chronicles has made me like them a lot less in retrospect just by how much more I enjoyed it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is a great burden that the main AA series is saddled with by not having a supporting cast on the level of Sholmes and Iris

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Despite pre-ordering this game, I only just got around to finishing this. A very enjoyable journey! Especially that last deduction.

Only real complaint is I felt like they used the "blasted back" animation too often, especially in 2-1

One big outstanding question I may have missed though: [2-5] Was the Barclay executioner ever identified or noted? They seem very obviously involved in the break plot but I don't recall that ever coming up. I can understand why they weren't in, but I would at least expect an "oh he died 8 years ago" sort of thing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just love how (2-5) Stronghart wound up being the most magnificent villain in the entire series, even if he also was telegraphed from a mile away. It takes balls of pure titanium for him to openly admit that he’s the Reaper when he’s finally backed into a corner… then use that as justification for not prosecuting him and have it almost actually work. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Regalingualius posted:

I just love how (2-5) Stronghart wound up being the most magnificent villain in the entire series, even if he also was telegraphed from a mile away. It takes balls of pure titanium for him to openly admit that he’s the Reaper when he’s finally backed into a corner… then use that as justification for not prosecuting him and have it almost actually work. :allears:

(2-5 end) Almost? It did work; Sherlock had to call in a favor from Queen Victoria and have her ask the peanut gallery a very pointed question statement (queens don't actually ask).
Admittedly the favor was having tea and biscuits with Iris while doing the first holographic TV broadcast in history and the queen decided to say her piece on her own, even Sherlock's bullshit has limits.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Regalingualius posted:

The most fun twist in this labyrinthine series of murder mysteries is that (GAA 2-5) the guy who very obviously is the bad guy is the bad guy! There are a dozen twists and reveals and none of them change the fact that the guy who you see for the first time in 1-3 and say, this guy is definitely the bad guy, is in fact the bad guy. The lack of a twist is itself the twist!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is indeed a good twist but it is not the best one, because the best twist in the series is also in that very game: the Watson character was never John H., Iris or Ryunosuke, and was in fact right in front on you from case 1-1 before Sholmes or John H. were even introduced.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nate RFB posted:

It is a great burden that the main AA series is saddled with by not having a supporting cast on the level of Sholmes and Iris

Literally everything about GAA is better than AA.

Ryunosuke is far better than Phoenix.
Suzano is far better than Maya.
Lol imagine preferring Gumshoe to Sholmes.

Even small characters like Santa Claus as the judge is better than Ace Attorney’s judge who is basically a total moron.

Ace Attorney doesn’t even have the balls to commit to being in Japan. They’re in some fictitious California instead where Latinos don’t even exist and everyone happens to be Japanese.

Regalingualius posted:

It’s extremely realistic. I just wish that the game committed more by having the Queen only interfere due to not disagreeing with the Reaper’s methods, but afraid that he will cumulate enough of a following and power to be a threat to her.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FebrezeNinja posted:

Despite pre-ordering this game, I only just got around to finishing this. A very enjoyable journey! Especially that last deduction.

Only real complaint is I felt like they used the "blasted back" animation too often, especially in 2-1

One big outstanding question I may have missed though: [2-5] Was the Barclay executioner ever identified or noted? They seem very obviously involved in the break plot but I don't recall that ever coming up. I can understand why they weren't in, but I would at least expect an "oh he died 8 years ago" sort of thing.

like the warden mentions, presumably there were other people involved in the conspiracy apart from him and the coroner, who didn't know about each other and were given specific instructions. Since I doubt Stronghart would go for it, and it's theoretically a trial about Van Zeiks, I figure they had better things to do than round up more people at the jail at that moment.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lol imagine preferring Gumshoe to Sholmes

You are insane

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Literally everything about GAA is better than AA.

Ryunosuke is far better than Phoenix.
Suzano is far better than Maya.
Lol imagine preferring Gumshoe to Sholmes.

Even small characters like Santa Claus as the judge is better than Ace Attorney’s judge who is basically a total moron.

I’m only 2 cases into GAA1, but so far I disagree with all of this. But there’s a lot of game left to change that opinion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Victorian setting also gives the game a lot more classic mystery character and makes it stand out a lot more. But I do miss Japanifornia.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make AA7 about Susato getting sent forward in time somehow.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I agree that Susato would make an excellent companion character in Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

I’m only 2 cases into GAA1, but so far I disagree with all of this. But there’s a lot of game left to change that opinion.

I've only read the first few chapters of pride and prejudice but why does anyone give a poo poo about this Mr Darcy guy????

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Make AA7 about Susato getting sent forward in time somehow.

Phoenix's 150 year old grandmother, imbued with vitality by strange English potions, has come down from her mountain dwelling to flip his kids on their heads.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hot take, if you only played case 1 of Phoenix Wright you would think it was rear end

There are cemeteries filled with the graves of those who fell playing through case 3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually think the first two cases are pretty poor, though the first has one of the most iconic moments in the series (the hair toss) and is a good intro to the series overall. 2 is much worse, they were still in the 3 day trial mode so the trial segments are super short, and it has the shittiest villain in the entire series, and the least satisfying win.

3 has some criticism but I like it. Weirdly it's the only case in the entire series with the classic lineup of Phoenix, Mia as assistant, and Edgeworth as prosecutor.

Then again I'm the weirdo who likes 2-3 apart from some of the investigation segments.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

flavor.flv posted:

You are insane

Gunshoe boring in comparison.

The Pirate Captain posted:

You haven’t even been to London yet. Give it until the end of the 4th case.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gumshoe is my friend and he has helped me out of some tight spots

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Gumshoe is my friend and he has helped me out of some tight spots

Yeah, but does he (2-5) tap-dance?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, he does better than that, pal

Admittedly, this does not happen in any of the games, but it is a fact he could lay down a sick headspin at any minute

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a false argument anyway, Gumshoe's GAA analogue is clearly Gregson, and I'd pick Gumshoe any day.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Gumshoe is the best character in all of video games. It’s impossible that anyone is better, and if you disagree we can talk about it during your next salary review.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a false argument anyway, Gumshoe's GAA analogue is clearly Gregson, and I'd pick Gumshoe any day.

This very much, all of it. Sholmes is apples and oranges in this case.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Gregson made me have some mad cravings for some fish and chips, but I'm not sure where would be a good place around here to even get any, so I haven't done it. :(

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Gumshoe gets around.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1488852239011794949?s=20&t=_lQVjwgVlDxKxWvvra093w

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Finally, finally got around to completing the games.

Three random thoughts:
Tap dancing is incredibly hype.
Enoch Drebber is the coolest dude on the planet.
Iris finally admitting Hurley was her real dad got me to tear up. Found family is my single biggest weak point.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hope this is an okay thread to post this in (couldn't find a general Ace Attorney thread): just finished the first game on switch. I read an lp on SA ages ago (well, several but only one that finished :v:) but wanted to play it myself. I really loved Edgeworth's character development. The last case was a real doozy, Gant is a real character :stare:

I've started the second game now, not sure I like the new trial music!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justice For All has the weakest of the court suites, yeah.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It does have the best trial intro music, though. Makes the whole thing feel really serious, which is great when the trial involves clowns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's not bad, it's just different!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Hope this is an okay thread to post this in (couldn't find a general Ace Attorney thread): just finished the first game on switch. I read an lp on SA ages ago (well, several but only one that finished :v:) but wanted to play it myself. I really loved Edgeworth's character development. The last case was a real doozy, Gant is a real character :stare:

I've started the second game now, not sure I like the new trial music!

Just… brace yourself for the third case, it has it’s reputation for a reason. Though on the plus side, JfA’s final case is also considered one of the greatest in the series.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I may be misremembering, but I think in the original release of JFA you couldn’t skip the “hah hah hah”s, making it completely unbearable. The rerelease fixed that at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haha, it just became in Capcom's best interest to get that leaked 456 collection out in the next year. You won't be able to buy games from the 3DS eShop after next March.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I finally beat GAA2 about 2 weeks ago. After finishing the first one, I was worried that the sequel would be intensely overhyped.

I was hella wrong, that game loving ruled. It retroactively made the first one better, even. I'm definitely in the same boat as the people who want future games to feel more like GAA than A5 and 6. I miss that Takumi flair.

Though I would love it if the Spirit of Justice composer came back too. I think AA6's OST is in contention with AJ for me for having the series' best soundtrack. The Cross-Examination Allegro and Court Begins (California) themes go super loving hard.

E:

Lotus Aura posted:

I think my favourite understated thing about AJ is that all of Apollo's clients were guilty of something and you had to out that at some point or other to ultimtely prove them innocent of murder.

This is why think AJ is the entry in the series that most feels like a defense attorney game. "Yes, my clients are criminal assholes, but they're not guilty of this specific crime!"

I find that really charming about the game. I wish AJ had more polish and was a little better written, but it has a lot of texture, and I like it a lot for that.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 16, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Though I would love it if the Spirit of Justice composer came back too. I think AA6's OST is in contention with AJ for me for having the series' best soundtrack. The Cross-Examination Allegro and Court Begins (California) themes go super loving hard.
there isn't really a "spirit of justice composer" it's billed under noriyuki iwadare but has work from five different people on it (https://vgmdb.net/album/58263), same with dual destinies

you could definitely consider iwadare to be the "main" composer though as his trademark sound is pretty all over both 3DS games. i definitely would like for him to return to the series.

E: if you've never heard anything else from him here's a nice example that sounds pretty much exactly like all his pursuits and objection themes combined into one lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAvACWN8ygA

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 16, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Please let there be one musical piece dedicated to the final witness testimony in the game. It was so cool when I was going into the final cross-examination of Ashley and we didn't get the usual Allegro theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Haha, it just became in Capcom's best interest to get that leaked 456 collection out in the next year. You won't be able to buy games from the 3DS eShop after next March.

You functionally won't be able to buy them after August this year as there won't be any way to add funds.