Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
kislev is my least favorite faction right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DaysBefore posted:

Sadly Kislev isn't allowed to be shown off at all until like the week before release. Trust me, I'm jonesing for some Kislev videos too! They did put a five minute video out the other day that briefly went over a few mechanics on the Total War Youtube channel

"week before release" meaning next Thursday.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

January 19th - Cathay (Miao Ying) + 9th Lord (Daemon Prince)

January 20th - Khorne + Custom Battles

January 27th - Nurgle + Tzeentch + Multiplayer Games

February 3rd - Kislev + "Prologue" + Multiplayer Campaign

February 10th - Slaanesh + End of Limits

February 12th and 13th - Partner Tournament!

February 14th - Ogres + Review

February 17th - Release of game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh I mixed up Ogres and Kislev! Sorry!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Legend is great if you want to watch a guy pull off a magic bullshit trick where he wins a 1v4 and get thorough explanations of his reasoning. This is also great because you can learn some of his tricks and employ them once or twice a campaign to recover from an honest to God game over screen disaster situation.

You can always win Legendary/VH if you really want to with non cheese armies and even melee centric ones, it's just going to vary depending on what your personal gamer honor allows and whether or not you're any good at the diplomacy shuffle circa TWWH2. And be a lot harder. Looking forward to being blind and uncertain in WH3 again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm happy as long as we don't get loving Shogun 2 clone Nippon. I know lots of people want literal Shogun 2 clone Nippon too, which makes me even angrier. Please by god any kind of fantasy Japan besides that. This is the hill I die on.

Partner with From, bring me Sekiro Nippon. Headless apparitions, gigantic snake monstrous unit, hero who's got only 5 health but also 150 melee defence, flamethrower dudes, Taro Troop monstrous infantry. gently caress yes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Partner with From, bring me Sekiro Nippon. Headless apparitions, gigantic snake monstrous unit, hero who's got only 5 health but also 150 melee defence, flamethrower dudes, Taro Troop monstrous infantry. gently caress yes.

Let me use the screaming cow with a flaming headdress log to break gates, formations. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doomykins posted:

Legend is great if you want to watch a guy pull off a magic bullshit trick where he wins a 1v4 and get thorough explanations of his reasoning. This is also great because you can learn some of his tricks and employ them once or twice a campaign to recover from an honest to God game over screen disaster situation.

You can always win Legendary/VH if you really want to with non cheese armies and even melee centric ones, it's just going to vary depending on what your personal gamer honor allows and whether or not you're any good at the diplomacy shuffle circa TWWH2. And be a lot harder. Looking forward to being blind and uncertain in WH3 again.

I am under the impression it is impossible to lose on Very Hard because (almost) every faction’s capital province is impregnable past Tier 3. So worst case scenario, the entire world is united against you but can’t do anything about it because you can’t actually be knocked out of the game. Whether it would be annoying or worth it to try and win, that’s a different story.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/e36ceB1Uh_8

Legend is good folks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do wonder if Kislev underwent a slight rework with how oddly secretive they've been about it, considering it was one of the first faction reveals.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

I like when he switches to Ikit Claw voice because that means he's enjoying himself and I think that's always something important to get across when making watchable streams.
I get a lot out of his saving a disaster campaign videos because he's pretty good at dissecting what the player did wrong and helps me improve my gameplay experience. So while I don't have to switch out army commanders to get rid of a forced march malus when I'm about to be ambushed by a Skaven stack, I also have a better idea about how the AI is thinking and how it makes it's decisions, and can work better to counter that.

This is generally what I get out of strategy guides from well informed people who explain the mental models behind their reasoning. I still want to make cool armies smash against other cool armies but it’s useful to learn the most efficient ways of doing things tj have an understanding of what I’m deviating from to do the things I want to do and why I’m losing. There’s a lot of counter intuitive things about the game or strategies that the in game missions seem to advocate for that are actually bad ideas. The game doesn’t do a great job of teaching you about itself. So learning from people who understand the game well enough to break it in half can help a lot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*stares dead-eyed at you, mutters in monotone*

Kislev.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Doomykins posted:

Let me use the screaming cow with a flaming headdress log to break gates, formations. :v:

Flaming pigs 2.0! Particularly effective against Ind and their Haa'thee elephant cavalry.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm happy as long as we don't get loving Shogun 2 clone Nippon. I know lots of people want literal Shogun 2 clone Nippon too, which makes me even angrier. Please by god any kind of fantasy Japan besides that. This is the hill I die on.

I only want “Shogun 2 has invaded Warhammer” Nippon with glitch monsters like the Dominions Mod nation Szumogliika

Otherwise gimme Heian period with every yokai in the book. Make a nurgling type unit out of the hundred year old bric-a-brac tsukumogami

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Watching Chaos Undivided is really hyping me up to play it, so many units to play with.

Also a neat video https://youtu.be/XB7odiP_2EA

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Triskelli posted:

I only want “Shogun 2 has invaded Warhammer” Nippon with glitch monsters like the Dominions Mod nation Szumogliika
This would unironically be a good way to include Pontus.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Terrible Opinions posted:

This would unironically be a good way to include Pontus.

Mithradates IV shows up with the head of a plague toad mounted on his spear and the Rome 2 thousand yard stare

“You did not want me, yet I arrive”

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is to say nothing of the sword and gun-wielding monkeys.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Multiple streamers have alluded to their “favorite faction” being one they can’t talk about so I’m wondering if Kislev or Ogres rock.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Twigand Berries posted:

Multiple streamers have alluded to their “favorite faction” being one they can’t talk about so I’m wondering if Kislev or Ogres rock.

Or Slaanesh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

When I switched onto Legend's stream today, he was powerleveling a Herald by having it repeatedly attack a full Dwarf army with only a Beast of Nurgle for accompaniment, and then immediately retreating.
What the nehek? How did that work? Does the herald have a ranged attack that he would spam, then retreat? And he would get XP for the kills?

Triskelli posted:

Mithradates IV shows up with the head of a plague toad mounted on his spear and the Rome 2 thousand yard stare

“You did not want me, yet I arrive”
lmao please god yes

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I wonder how good Settra on his chariot will be against the deamons. It does get magic attacks, right?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

What the nehek? How did that work? Does the herald have a ranged attack that he would spam, then retreat? And he would get XP for the kills?

If one faction is garrisoned in a harbor and attack a faction next to it at sea, they can lose an unlimited number of battles. The faction at sea was dwarves with ranged units, so they would just bunch up and wait for Legend (Nurgle) to come to them since he didn't have any ranged units, only a Herald of Nurgle lord and a Beast of Nurgle. So he initiated the battle and instantly withdraw, which gave his lord a bunch of xp. It also gave the dwarf lord a bit of xp but not as much, and the dwarf lord wasn't that strong anyway. Rinse and repeat until the Herald is sufficiently leveled and can get a flying mount. Then Legend murdered the two ranged units and then flew around murdering the leftover melee forces.

As an added bonus you can turn the Herald into a Great Unclean One at level 15, which wipes any bad traits the Herald got from retreating so much.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 28, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

lol I wouldn't watch myself do that

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I do wonder if Kislev underwent a slight rework with how oddly secretive they've been about it, considering it was one of the first faction reveals.

Maybe. The promo video they put out this week at least kept the "pick a rite" and the Ice Court training process, though they implied that was Katarin-only.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

lol I wouldn't watch myself do that

luckily I watched the stream after it was live so I could skip the hour it took him to do it :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Winklebottom posted:

If one faction is garrisoned in a harbor and attack a faction next to it at sea, they can lose an unlimited number of battles. The faction at sea was dwarves with ranged units, so they would just bunch up and wait for Legend (Nurgle) to come to them since he didn't have any ranged units, only a Herald of Nurgle lord and a Beast of Nurgle. So he initiated the battle and instantly withdraw, which gave his lord a bunch of xp. It also gave the dwarf lord a bit of xp but not as much, and the dwarf lord wasn't that strong anyway. Rinse and repeat until the Herald is sufficiently leveled and can get a flying mount. Then Legend murdered the two ranged units and then flew around murdering the leftover melee forces.

As an added bonus you can turn the Herald into a Great Unclean One at level 15, which wipes any bad traits the Herald got from retreating so much.
:barf:

Thank you for the explanation, but, thats just ridiculous.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
CA: "I'm going to pay you to sweep this floor, and you get paid per sweep of the brush, but only sweeps that cover unsweeped sections of the floor count."

Legend: "Ok, let me get my toothpick with a single bristle attached to it."

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think Turin is too busy talking about the new game to come across as corny at all or he’s toned it down.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

:barf:

Thank you for the explanation, but, thats just ridiculous.

Legend gaming, baby.

I would never play the way Legend does, but his streams are entertaining for a look at the most counterintuitive way to play a video game out there

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

I think Turin is too busy talking about the new game to come across as corny at all or he’s toned it down.

He's toned it down a little because of the AoE IV streams, where there's just less stuff with those types of connections. He still does it a fair bit, but all I can really do is roll my eyes when he quips "69, that's what she said" because it's so goofy harmless.

Angrymantium posted:

Legend gaming, baby.

I would never play the way Legend does, but his streams are entertaining for a look at the most counterintuitive way to play a video game out there

Yeah, I like going through his vods and video uploads because I can skip the 15 minutes of dodging missiles, but when he gets a real nailbiter that pushes him hard it's fun to see how he tackles it. Recently there was an all-ranged army with little AP that ran into a slower army with lots of shields and his patience in pulling each unit to get them shot in the back and save his ammo was impressive.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Chakan posted:

Yeah, I like going through his vods and video uploads because I can skip the 15 minutes of dodging missiles, but when he gets a real nailbiter that pushes him hard it's fun to see how he tackles it. Recently there was an all-ranged army with little AP that ran into a slower army with lots of shields and his patience in pulling each unit to get them shot in the back and save his ammo was impressive.

Yeah not all of his stuff is tedious, and leads to him winning ridiculously lopp-sided battles that feel like they're going the other way right up until the end. He defended a settlement during his Norsca stream a few days ago by luring some wood elf way watchers away from the rest of the army with regenerating trolls, and turned a decisive or crushing defeat rating into a close victory, over a single settlement. I would probably just let something like that go and bring an army back or something out of laziness, but Legend just refuses to be inefficient, ever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

Yeah not all of his stuff is tedious, and leads to him winning ridiculously lopp-sided battles that feel like they're going the other way right up until the end. He defended a settlement during his Norsca stream a few days ago by luring some wood elf way watchers away from the rest of the army with regenerating trolls, and turned a decisive or crushing defeat rating into a close victory, over a single settlement. I would probably just let something like that go and bring an army back or something out of laziness, but Legend just refuses to be inefficient, ever.
Efficient isn't the word I would use. Certainly not time-efficient. Still impressive.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm the nurgling dancing in the poop shower. :allears:

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Ravenfood posted:

Efficient isn't the word I would use. Certainly not time-efficient. Still impressive.

Efficient in the unit preservation/not spending money on recruiting more units if you can keep the ones you have healthy sense. Someone upthread commented on him doing ridiculous maneuvers to keep his units at 95% health instead of autoresolving to bring them down to 87% which is a pretty concise indication of how insistent he is on getting as much out of his troops and in game resources as possible while ignoring how much time it actually takes to accomplish that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does.... he have a job? Or is he making enough money streaming to not need to?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nurglings are this, except the trenchcoat is actually poop.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ItalianSpartacus seems like an okay guy if you want someone who just kinda plays the game. Plus he comes off like a lore nerd so that's cool. Haven't been watching him very long though so sorry if he turns out to be like a weirdo or something!!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Streaming is his job. He is a busker for our entertainment. He makes money with "super chat"s where people spend money to highlight comments or questions.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Apparently he works the graveyard shift, which is why he can stream during the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Streaming is his job. He is a busker for our entertainment. He makes money with "super chat"s where people spend money to highlight comments or questions.

he gets a lot of those, which is great, more money for him, but since he insists on reading them aloud the moment they're posted it interrupts the flow of the stream so much. I wish he would take a gameplay break to read them once in a while or something.

"So the key strategy for Cathay is moving the- John Johnson sent a 5 dollar super chat 'Thank you so much for streaming. I've been following you for five years and named my dog after you. Can you tell me how to play Lizardmen in WHII??' Thanks so much for the super chat! If you wanna play Lizardmen you...." and on and on it goes. He tries to cut the answers down but there's so many.