Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I love the paint job too.

But my first thought was “Is that a plasma glow, or is the kill team about to cleanse the xeno filth from the dance floor?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucnasti posted:

Vallejo has a bunch of historic paint sets in their model color line.

Something like the British WWII Desert set might do the job for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Acrylicos-Va...s%2C136&sr=8-57

Winklebottom posted:

If all you're painting is that Guard set, I would probably just buy individual paints. Most sets you'll get will have a bunch of colors you won't really use for them (and you can always pick them up after if you do).

Citadel paints are fine, but fairly expensive. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend Vallejo paints instead since they're cheaper, same or better quality, and come in much better bottles. You can use this chart for color conversions between paint brands. It's not perfect but gives a fairly good overview of same-ish paints.

E: The set Bucnasti posted seems spot on for armor/clothing, yeah

Thank you both! That conversion sheet will be extremely useful! I can’t wait to try painting my first unit… i’m sure it’s going to look like retro new wave or something atrocious knowing my skill. lol

Oh does anyone have any recommendations for doing non-white human flesh tones? I kind of want to have a more diverse looking guard than something that could’ve been the SS Charlemagne. lol

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Beffer posted:

I love the paint job too.

But my first thought was “Is that a plasma glow, or is the kill team about to cleanse the xeno filth from the dance floor?”
Can't use a blue plasma pistol when you're wearing a blue coat! That just wouldn't be stylish!

Actually, I'd just bought some pink oil paints and wanted to try them, so I convinced my friend that pink plasma was the way to go.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh does anyone have any recommendations for doing non-white human flesh tones? I kind of want to have a more diverse looking guard than something that could’ve been the SS Charlemagne. lol

I like this guide to 5 different skin tones from Mengel. Some of the steps are probably a bit too fiddly for a beginner, but it gives you an idea of what colors you can use etc.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Man that ITC partnership is impressive. It’s not just ‘we’ll talk to each other’

There’s actual paid prize support, flights and accomodation for players. It’s very good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Sorry, wrong thread!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Winklebottom posted:

I like this guide to 5 different skin tones from Mengel. Some of the steps are probably a bit too fiddly for a beginner, but it gives you an idea of what colors you can use etc.

Thanks, it’s kind of a hard thing to find stuff on, mostly because my search terms gets lots of Reddit threads on diversity….and are all toxic waste dumps…or for some reason thinking I meant fantasy creatures.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks, it’s kind of a hard thing to find stuff on, mostly because my search terms gets lots of Reddit threads on diversity….and are all toxic waste dumps…or for some reason thinking I meant fantasy creatures.
Goonhammer also has a pretty nice guide for different skin tones https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

For starter stuff a lot of the early Warhammer TV guides are great, the current ones are a bit hit and miss and rely a bit too much on contrast paints and thinning them out. But the Duncan era is very handy and I find myself going back to those videos a lot of inspiration and ideas.
At some point I'm going to go through them and just add stuff to an excel sheet to make things easier for me.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thank you both! That conversion sheet will be extremely useful! I can’t wait to try painting my first unit… i’m sure it’s going to look like retro new wave or something atrocious knowing my skill. lol

I’m a fan of Army Painter in general and their skin tone set is pretty good but maybe overkill. You can make a lot of distinct skin tones with it but it’s a lot of bottles.

I have most of the Army Painter line and outside of metallic I recommend most of it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Finished up the IW Venomcrawler.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

TotalHell posted:

Awesome

Been kicking around this idea for a nid scheme based on argiope aurantia spider for a while now and finally got around to trying it out

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

had to look up the spider but hell yeah nailed it

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Finished the guy and his little buddy Nurglings on their first day at war.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TotalHell posted:

Them some drat clean thorax hazard stripes.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

TotalHell posted:

This is both gorgeous and inspirational. I love the colour scheme, the black and bronze look so good together.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TotalHell posted:

alright, how do you do a lightbox like this

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Finished the guy and his little buddy Nurglings on their first day at war.

Looking really good! The red brings your eye to the head much better than the green helmet did.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

alright, how do you do a lightbox like this

Get some construction paper and 2 lamps. bend the construction paper.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

SiKboy posted:

Looking really good! The red brings your eye to the head much better than the green helmet did.

Thanks. Next up is to work on my blending. It looks good as I'm doing it but the results aren't quite what I want when it's all dried. I do think I'm going to go with red helmets for "veteran" shorthand. Call 'em redcaps.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Get some construction paper and 2 lamps. bend the construction paper.

I actually do have a cheap light box that I’ve used, but it’s basically this. The box has light strips in it which I bent either toward or away from the model depending on the photo (just trying a few different things with the way the light hit it, basically) and then I went into Photoshop to bring the brightness down a bit.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TotalHell posted:

Yes!

Yesssssssss

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

TotalHell posted:

This is outstanding, the hazard markings are on point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I have a quick question, what are some good tips for doing the undercoat spraying, on a day where it snowed outside? I do have access to a garage with a workbench so that’s not an issue in and of itself, it’s mostly how I should handle the sprays temperature not getting too cold, the drying of the minis. and if it makes sense to wear an N95 when using it (be nice for a change to have a non-Covid use for it).

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Finished this guy with the broken arm just in time for historic snow levels!

I think I overdid it on the weathering and I didn't exactly know what I was doing with the white paint. Better luck next time

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I have a quick question, what are some good tips for doing the undercoat spraying, on a day where it snowed outside? I do have access to a garage with a workbench so that’s not an issue in and of itself, it’s mostly how I should handle the sprays temperature not getting too cold, the drying of the minis. and if it makes sense to wear an N95 when using it (be nice for a change to have a non-Covid use for it).

I've spray undercoated with snow on the ground before, its not that big a deal tbh. You want the cans to be warm, so I filled the sink with warm water (from the tap, not the kettle, if you cant keep your hands in the water its too hot) and put the spray cans in the water. When they were warm I shook the hell out of them, dashed outside, sprayed the minis, came back inside, grabbed the other can (I was doing a zenithal), dashed back out, sprayed, back inside. Then I put the minis to dry in the same place in the kitchen I would put them if it wasnt snowing outside, closed the door to the outside and... I mean thats basically it. Just get the cans warm and spray fast. Dont leave them in the snow to dry or anything obviously. I wouldnt attempt it when its actually currently snowing, probably. I mean, I might attempt it, but its almost certainly a bad idea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well lucky the snow has stopped. I just wanted to make sure it would be a huge pain in the rear end or a safety hazard. My other thought would be putting a drop cloth in the laundry room and spraying them on an unused ironing board, which makes the drying easier. But I also want to make sure I don’t kill myself with fumes or wind up with brain damage like a Bitcoin miner.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Airbrush question: is the iwata neo junk? I’m continually having to mess with it (i.e clean) to prime with mig one shot brown primer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Iwata Neo is a cheap Chinese made airbrush with the Iwata name on it so, kinda?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

the fart question posted:

Airbrush question: is the iwata neo junk? I’m continually having to mess with it (i.e clean) to prime with mig one shot brown primer.

While they're part of Iwatas budget range, they're certainly not junk. Made in China, but better than most of the cheapy "made in china" airbrushes. What pressure are your spraying at? And are you just getting general clogging, or tip dry?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

While they're part of Iwatas budget range, they're certainly not junk. Made in China, but better than most of the cheapy "made in china" airbrushes. What pressure are your spraying at? And are you just getting general clogging, or tip dry?

Spraying at 20 to 30. Definitely seems to clog around the top. Neither mig or stylnrez will spray without thinning, which seems at odds with what I’ve read about them.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just going to post some more WIP's:

Here's an Iron Warrior:

Parts as follows:
  • Primaris legs were hacked off a free model from a store.
  • Loincloth is greenstuff
  • Mk3 armor torso, backpack, head
  • Goliath arm grenade launcher
  • Secutari hoplites arm/shield
  • Chains

Here's my IW Obliterators so far:

I finished the right arms for each one, but haven't attached them yet.
Other parts include IW terminator shoulder pads and myrmidon models.

Some Flesh Eater colors I'm going back and forth on:
Before:

After:

Clearly the pics are not equal in quality/posing, but I'm just not liking the gold, and I think it's just because there's too much of it. I tend to do certain things symmetrically, like coloring shoulder pads, and I think in this instance maybe what I should do is instead only select a few spots for gold flourishes, and leave the rest this cold blood red and let it contrast with the ice bases.
I'm still torn on eye/power weapon color, but I figure I can think on it while I go back to finally finishing my Iron Warriors stuff.

I still have to cut two drills in half (to make 4 vehicles instead of 2), build two Armigers, two Kastelens, another 10x marines, a Lord Discordant, and probably a few other things.as well I'm forgetting.

Thankfully I'm almost done with that first IW above, and also a few more conversations using a Tor Garadon, 3x Eradicators, and an Apothecary.
I'm in the process of adding copper and brass to the details like shoulders, and I tend to drybrush armor details with it as both a filter & to give armor some burnished depth, touching up with silver again where needed. The eyes will get a blue/teal osl, but I think I'm going to do forge hot weapons where applicable. .

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spraying at 20 to 30. Definitely seems to clog around the top. Neither mig or stylnrez will spray without thinning, which seems at odds with what I’ve read about them.

Well, always take "doesn't need thinning" with a grain of salt. I've seen vanishingly few paints that say they don't need thinning actually work without thinning. I spray Stynylrez without thinning, but out of a honking big 0.5 nozzle at 30psi.

Try thinning with a bit of water or airbrush medium, you could also add a touch (think head of pin sized) amount of dish-soap to break surface tension and retard drying slightly. Spray up at 30 psi, and keep a small bit of paper towel dipped in alchohol/ab-cleaner at hand. Every 30 seconds or so, pinch the needle tip with the wet bit of paper towel to clear away any tip dry. Also good to keep a bit of paper or card at hand, so that right before you go in for another spray at the model, you can do a quick blast onto the paper to clear away minor clogs and prevent them fouling the model surface.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Flow Improver should be all you need with Stylnrez.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nothing goes through my airbrush without flow improver.

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Making progress on my box of ork boyz. Need to get more comfortable on painting the skin though.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hmm thanks, I’d not thought of trying flow improver, I’ll give that a try, and I’ll remember to wipe the nozzle regularly. It’s a shame, other paints go though fine, but primer and varnish have real trouble and are immensely frustrating.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
do i need to put a clearcoat or anything between acrylics and oils?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hmm thanks, I’d not thought of trying flow improver, I’ll give that a try, and I’ll remember to wipe the nozzle regularly. It’s a shame, other paints go though fine, but primer and varnish have real trouble and are immensely frustrating.

Yeah, that's just the nature of primers/varnishes. Primers are generally composed of much larger paint particles than a standard paint, to give the model surface some tooth for the regular paint to grab onto. This makes them thicker and much more prone to clogging. Varnishes have much thicker and more viscous resins in them, so again it increases their tendency to clog.

The big 0.5 nozzle I mentioned earlier, all I use it for is stuff like primers and varnishes. It's a Paasche-H,, single-action external-mix side-feed. It's a big dumb hunk of metal, with body extension made of the cheapest plastic known to man. Probably stamped out of a press in mexico, likely tempered in a mix of used motor oil and rat piss. It's as bog standard as you can get, but it's great for spraying ugly stuff you don't want to put through a nice airbrush, and it breaks down and can be cleaned in about 10 seconds due to it's braindead simple construction and large parts. And as much as I rag on it, if you treat it well it can still perform amazingly. The Paasche-H was used by the pros to paint the Predator, the Alien Queen, and the Terminator. The pros wanted a simple, no-nonsense airbrush that could take a beating and keep going on a film set, and it did all that flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

do i need to put a clearcoat or anything between acrylics and oils?
No, it's fine, the oils and thinner won't damage the acrylics, at least not if the thinner is white spirits. A layer of gloss varnish will make an oil wash flow a little better, but it's not a must.