Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Death Stranding has a baller soundtrack that knows just when to kick in and I love it for that even if the combat loop in the game does not jive with me at all, I'd much rather it had no combat at all honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Death Stranding had a fantastic story, but it's very Kojima so I don't blame anyone for not liking it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Death Stranding is this weird game where the gameplay of "deliver package" shouldn't be nearly as fun as it turned out to be.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Death Stranding rules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Death Stranding had some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a game with those production values. Like a good 70% of it was just pointless exposition delivered in the same exact monotone. It somehow managed to totally waste Lea Seydoux's talent, which is almost unimaginable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kojima's games are so art house / loving weird that I genuinely hope he continues to make games forever. I have absolutely no idea what message he is trying to convey through his art, but by god he is still doing it as hard as he can.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

exquisite tea posted:

Death Stranding had some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a game with those production values. Like a good 70% of it was just pointless exposition delivered in the same exact monotone. It somehow managed to totally waste Lea Seydoux's talent, which is almost unimaginable.

I rolled my eyes so hard they created a magnetic field when the line "Mario and Princess Beach" was said

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

poo poo, why did I think of FTL when I heard that name. Guess hull breaches have traumatized me.

Same dev

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ymgve posted:

I rolled my eyes so hard they created a magnetic field when the line "Mario and Princess Beach" was said

I'd honestly like it more if the entire game were written in that deliberately over-the-top style, but so much of the script is just bland exposition.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Death Stranding is very firmly in my "Games I liked but would never recommend to someone" category, because it's such a crapshot to guess if someone would like it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone ever ran into trouble using a PS3 controller with Steam in big picture mode? It recognises the controller just fine but the controller itself doesn't do anything? I've tried some of the standard fixes like resetting the controller but no change.

I've seen stuff about programs that can make the PS3 pad usable but there seems to be quite a few about and some with warnings about malware. Anyone have experience with them?

Er... If I get it working I'll try Death Stranding!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Flython posted:

Anyone ever ran into trouble using a PS3 controller with Steam in big picture mode? It recognises the controller just fine but the controller itself doesn't do anything? I've tried some of the standard fixes like resetting the controller but no change.

I've seen stuff about programs that can make the PS3 pad usable but there seems to be quite a few about and some with warnings about malware. Anyone have experience with them?

Er... If I get it working I'll try Death Stranding!

Check the controller settings in Steam settings make sure Playstation support is enabled under General Controller Settings, also check under Big Picture Configuration and make sure the bindings are set up. IDK I have a DS4 and all the stuff online is like 5 years old but you might need drivers.

Reddit posted:

Thank you for this! From that thread I was able to find a direct download link from Sony's website that links to version 11.2.3 (which still has the drivers!): https://download-psnow.playstation.com/downloads/psnow/pc/PlayStationNow-11.2.3.exe

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 28, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

bland exposition.

I hate Kojima games and this is the primary reason why.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks Hub Cat. I'll give that a go. I'm tempted to get a more recent controller but I really like my PS3 pad.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sam it's me John McClane. Let me tell you why they call me Die Hardman. It's because its hard for me to die. Your mission is to subdue the MULE known as poo poo Poster.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was worried that being connected to the network would be Bad, but it is actually Good. I can see things, and also do things. I never thought I'd be able to actually do things. Thank you, Sam.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

heartman is good

the writing is excrement but heartman is good; and i semi-ironically admire the sheer audacity of the game doing the equivalent of putting me on hold for 3 minutes with customer support in the lab

(e) i actually enjoyed the (human) combat once I realized my best weapons were not, in fact, guns or rope; but instead was momentum and a good heavy cargo box or six

and, well, I have going on 700 hours in SnowRunner so you could guess that the "carry way too much crap across some seriously god-awful terrain" aspect appealed to me too

"princess beach" killed me when my cringe gland exploded

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 28, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in summary, kojima is a loving idiot but the game's good anyway

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Kojima owns the bad brains of idiots once again

man doesn't miss

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kojima is an auteur. In every sense of the word

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Deadman(molesting sam in the shower, close talking): You know, Sam? I know we were talking about pies, but what if the pie were better with latticed dough on top? I'm just forming this opinion now, so we will see. Once I figure out my pie theory I will get back to you. But enough about that. I'll let you get back to your business....LOL JK! You see, Pie Man needs to eat pie constantly to stay connected to the chriral network. This dates all the way back to the original death stranding. he was eating a pie at the time. But you already know that. I've told you this many times. Don't worry, I will explain it again. Pie man was eating a pie during the original death stranding which is why now he cries tears of pie. This is why he is so sad. The pie is gone. Lost to the beach. He won't stop these terrorist bombings until he finds it. if we could make the pie better though...maybe with dough on top? I'm not sure but I will get back to you once I have had time to form this opinion.

Sam: *staring dead eyed, says nothing, leaves private room,runs up the ramp * Pshhhhhhtttttt(that's hose noises)

Keep on keeping on Sam Porter Bridges

Codec Call 12 seconds later: Het Sam, Deadman here. Do you remember that pie we were talking about. I've formed a theory. if we make the pie better with dough on top....I'm not sure, but Pie Man might just be compelled to stop these terrorist bombings. I'll talk with you more about it once you can get to private room. Deadman out. You see Pie Man...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I *really* loved Death Stranding's story but it's delivered weirdly and completely ridiculous so I would never blame anyone for hating it. It's just exactly my trash. When the title drop comes I was sitting at my desk with my mouth open. Never been so completely sucked in to a game's story before. Mind you I never played any Kojima anything before.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

HopperUK posted:

I *really* loved Death Stranding's story but it's delivered weirdly and completely ridiculous so I would never blame anyone for hating it. It's just exactly my trash. When the title drop comes I was sitting at my desk with my mouth open. Never been so completely sucked in to a game's story before. Mind you I never played any Kojima anything before.

Don't worry, all Kojima games are just kind of Like That. Dude writes women like a half-drawn background character in an episode of The Simpson's from 1991.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Don't worry, all Kojima games are just kind of Like That. Dude writes women like a half-drawn background character in an episode of The Simpson's from 1991.

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/376424398023962624?lang=en

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah that poo poo is the reason I'd avoided his stuff before tbh, I get tired of that kinda thing. But Death Stranding really got me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

moms are tough

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

yo, Mini Motorways is really, REALLY good

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

lunar detritus posted:

Death Stranding is very firmly in my "Games I liked but would never recommend to someone" category, because it's such a crapshot to guess if someone would like it.

Yeah pretty much.

I love all of Kojimas games and I stuck around with death stranding longer than I would with most games until it clicked because I knew it would be a weird and memorable experience.

I’m sure all of us know by now but in case anyone here doesn’t get the joke, he’s guilting players for guilting him for writing in a female character that is half naked all the time. It’s because she has to breathe through her skin otherwise she’ll suffocate. being dressed is deadly it feels weird spoiling that but it is some later revealed plot point but also has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

Anywho I can feel bad for liking Kojima games but then I remember full grown adults love Kingdom Hearts games so I don’t feel bad after all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any tips for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut? Game looks cool with weird classes, a ghost companion, auras, power ups and what not but... there seems to be like no guides or documentation for this that I can find.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Nine years later and I am still ashamed of my words and deeds

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Death Stranding has a very weird and nonsensical story, plus divisive deliveryman centered gameplay. Even if you hate both, I think Kojima deserves a lot of credit for making it exist. Especially exist as a big budget game with famous actors, when you'd expect something with its premise to struggle to get funding even as a pixel art garage project.

The video game industry needs more high budget weirdness to both exist and succeed, and I hope this game's success helps pave the way for future offbeat projects.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
DS really shines when you’re slowly building infrastructure around challenging terrain. Like when you’re putting all your spare resources into elevated roads over crevasses and rocky land areas so you can do deliveries far easier and faster using cargo vans.

When I built a network of connected slingshots around the mountainous area, it felt really rewarding and satisfying in a way I don’t get with most games. I remember how cool (but also difficult) delivering packages on the mountain by foot was, so contrasting that with efficiency and ease was 👌🏽

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

yo, Mini Motorways is really, REALLY good

it really is. I was surprised how it's different enough to Mini Metro to be another kind of fun, but also close enough to induce the same calm mayhem. Really great game.

incidentally, they still release updates for Mini Metro which just got Nanjing as a new city today.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

death stranding nailed a balance of chill and satisfying. a very good game, even if the story is comically dumb

GHOST BABY

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

death stranding nailed a balance of chill and satisfying. a very good game, even if the story is comically dumb

GHOST BABY

Hmm but have you considered that Sam was actually a ghost baby the whole time

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I was buying Half Life Alyx today and talking to a friend about the steam deck and it occured to me that I'm pretty sure Valve has released more hardware products (steam controller, vive, index, steam link, steam deck) in the past decade than they have released games.

It really makes you wonder what on earth they are doing over there. Every few months they hire some talented game maker who is never seen or heard from again until they emerge 5 years later with 0 shipped games.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Substandard posted:

I was buying Half Life Alyx today and talking to a friend about the steam deck and it occured to me that I'm pretty sure Valve has released more hardware products (steam controller, vive, index, steam link, steam deck) in the past decade than they have released games.

Not yet CS:GO, Dota 2, Dota Underlords, Artifact and Alyx all came out in the last decade and that's not including the collabs like CS online.
(I'd probably also consider the Link and the Controller as a singular product personally but that might be too far)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 28, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hub Cat posted:

Not yet CS:GO, Dota 2, Dota Underlords, Artifact and Alyx all came out in the last decade and that's not including the collabs like CS online.
(I'd probably also consider the Link and the Controller as a singular product personally but that might be too far)

Artifact was such a disappointment. So much hype about Valve finally going back to developing original IPs and it's a clumsily designed card game that's dead on arrival.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The "main" story in Death Stranding with Amelie and America and all that was dumb and my attention always started drifting when they rambled on about it, but it had some side plot threads (like Mads Mikkelsen looking for his BB) that were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Artifact was such a disappointment. So much hype about Valve finally going back to developing original IPs and it's a clumsily designed card game that's dead on arrival.

Dota Underlords bombed pretty hard too. Riot have really been eating Valves lunch as of late, they've tackled a lot of similar projects and come out ahead every time

Teamfight Tactics vs. Dota Underlords
Runeterra vs. Artifact
Valorant vs. Counterstrike (hasn't killed CS but it's the first serious competition it's ever had)
Arcane vs. DOTA Dragons Blood