Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh poo poo, it's a full length series, i thought it was just short youtube videos/ads
watching this lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

marumaru posted:

you think you know anime but have you even watched the subaru anime?

Yes I watched GAINAX's last good show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like last show full stop lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah they're consistently credited for 2nd key and in-between animation which are invaluable pieces of production themselves, i wouldnt be surprised if that's just their thing from now on

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
do they go to the dakar rally in the subaru anime

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if theyre trying to be faithful to subaru's recent history they probably go to vape shops and convenience stores

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the ending of akanesasu owns so much

I don't know how I feel about the stinger at the end with seriouska being alive but the rest I absolutely adore. One of the strongest final episodes I've ever seen.

And I do mean not sure literally. I still have to work through in my mind whether it feels like a cheapness of the message or a deserved eucatastrophe, to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Space Flower posted:

yeah they're consistently credited for 2nd key and in-between animation which are invaluable pieces of production themselves, i wouldnt be surprised if that's just their thing from now on

Weren't they also at least getting some money from Eva stuff until Anno had to step in and just take the rights entirely?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

marumaru posted:

you think you know anime but have you even watched the subaru anime?

Is her wand a Toyota/Lexus car grill?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mister Facetious posted:

He name is literally Subaru, as in the car maker. The anime is Wish Upon the Pleiades, it's the last major anime produced by Gainax, in collaboration with the automaker Subaru.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

They are all Subarus.

This is a Subaru Legacy

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

A tumblr post about makoto shishio got me interested in watching the 90's rurouni kenshin kyoto arc. Shishio is indeed cool and stylish, but I'm glad I jumped in right where wikipedia says the arc starts. Frankly, if that kenshin v saito fight did not rip SO HARD, I don't think I'd be nearly as invested. Based Kazuhiro Furuhashi. Just beat Chou where I'm at now.

Glad I saw Trust and Betrayal before too, the sense of already feeling intimately familiar w Kenshin's character and background was invaluable for slipping right into events despite skipping a big chunk of the show.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 28, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
after reading synopses of all the giant pile of recommendations you lot have kindly given me, I have a four-way tie in interest between Flipflappers, March Comes in like a Lion, Kyousougiga, and Houseki no Kuni.

March being 44 episodes is pretty intimidating and the other three are all one cour long, so I'll probably start with them. Idk the order. Kyousougiga has the most appealing art style from the screenshots, so probably that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kyousougiga is 10 eps long with like a couple bonus eps explaining the cosmological references and inspirations so it's also the shortest

there's also a short one-episode long ona but that's mostly interesting for the ways the anime diverges from that initial concept, they reuse a lot of animation from it in the first half so you're getting most of that in the show already

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kyousougiga is a little confusing depending on where you're watching it as some places include the original OVA as an 'episode 0' but its pretty much just an abridged version of the 10 TV episodes so you can skip it unless you enjoy being confused

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will watch it as a pirate so hopefully they'll provide a sensible file structure

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

cheetah7071 posted:

Flipflappers, March Comes in like a Lion, Kyousougiga, and Houseki no Kuni.

Wow those are four of my top picks from the last decade, can't go wrong no matter what you pick first. Kyousougiga is short and sweet, fun, unique, and trippy. Same with Flip Flappers and Houseki actually.

March Comes In like a Lion is my favorite thing that studio SHAFT has ever made, but be ready for some very heavy themes. The first few episodes are a real gut punch right out of the gate. Beautifully made show that does end up having a good mix of upbeat comedy alongside its explorations of grief and depression. The cast of side characters is really special, and you don't need to know anything about Shogi to enjoy the series fortunately.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Julias posted:

He name is literally Subaru, as in the car maker. The anime is Wish Upon the Pleiades, it's the last major anime produced by Gainax, in collaboration with the automaker Subaru.

I only just learned that "Subaru" is the Japanese word for the Pleiades constellation, and that the Subaru car company logo has six stars instead of seven because it was formed by a merger of five smaller companies into one big one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tales of Woe posted:

kyousougiga is a little confusing depending on where you're watching it as some places include the original OVA as an 'episode 0' but its pretty much just an abridged version of the 10 TV episodes so you can skip it unless you enjoy being confused

it only goes up to like halfway into the anime and well, there is one major difference, about how it ends compared to what happens in the point of the anime it reaches,

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

make sure you consult the uminochikaverse watch order before starting march lion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mentat Radnor posted:

Wow those are four of my top picks from the last decade, can't go wrong no matter what you pick first. Kyousougiga is short and sweet, fun, unique, and trippy. Same with Flip Flappers and Houseki actually.

March Comes In like a Lion is my favorite thing that studio SHAFT has ever made, but be ready for some very heavy themes. The first few episodes are a real gut punch right out of the gate. Beautifully made show that does end up having a good mix of upbeat comedy alongside its explorations of grief and depression. The cast of side characters is really special, and you don't need to know anything about Shogi to enjoy the series fortunately.

heavy themes are what I'm here for, especially if there's a mix of them with some lighter shonen-style stuff, which I assume the shogi battles will capture

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cheetah7071 posted:

heavy themes are what I'm here for, especially if there's a mix of them with some lighter shonen-style stuff, which I assume the shogi battles will capture

Sometimes yeah. There are lots of cute and fluffy moments in the show alongside the heavy stuff. The only negative I can say is that it'll leave you wanting for more after s2, and you'll have to read the manga for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wish Upon The Pleiades is literally just a magical girl anime with a main character named Subaru and their wands make car noises. It's less egregious than the pizza hut sponsorship in Geass or whatever by a mile, and frankly it's the best anime Gainax ever made and the fact that it's reduced to a weird punchline just because white people read a sponsorship list for once kinda sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

note: i do not like most of gainax's other TV anime so this isnt fierce competition.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kyousougiga seems to have a one-episode 2011 show, a 5-episode 2012 show, and a 10-episode 2013 show. Is this a Little Witch Academia situation where the animators took a few stabs at the idea?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Watch the 10 ep show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Kyousougiga seems to have a one-episode 2011 show, a 5-episode 2012 show, and a 10-episode 2013 show. Is this a Little Witch Academia situation where the animators took a few stabs at the idea?
It's a passion project for the director, but the 5 episodes in 2012 are a direct followup to the one episode in 2011 (and are five minutes each.) And as mentioned the 2013 show is the one you should be watching, ignore the others for now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally the director did that gotcha pokemon music video back in 2020 if you remember that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZ0Zwab6Oc

rie matsumoto owns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh I do remember that, I watched it like 50 times lol. Looking forward to seeing an anime by the same person

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

kinda yeah, the 2011 one is like a proof-of-concept thats just a bunch of scenes from the eventual show and then they eventually got to make the whole thing. you can just watch the 10 tv episodes, thats the complete story and it rules

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

They are all Subarus.

This is a Subaru Legacy

I don't remember what Subaru grills look like as i don't see them very often. :shrug:

But I see those big fuckoff Lexus ones all the time.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also free rie matsumoto its been 7 years now since they last let her direct a show

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

banished to the MV dimension

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Motto posted:

banished to the MV dimension

We have something worse here:

Can-Am.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

note: i do not like most of gainax's other TV anime so this isnt fierce competition.

i liked gunbuster and gurren lagann - what about the gainax shows you didn't like in particular?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished the Starlight movie and thus all of Revue Starlight and if I'm honest it kind of helped me internalized something that had been bothering me about the end of the series and that the movie had doubled down on, namely that after a point it stopped feeling a story and cast of characters that had something to contribute to a story or any any real character development and instead was more content to have abstract spectacle and characters who might as well not exist in the same scene despite them yelling and fighting one another. I enjoyed it a lot early on with the Mahiru and Banana episodes being probably my favorites because it felt like they had some really strong arcs that worked in a near vacuum. But once it got to the endgame and had to find an excuse for the final conflicts it just sort of felt like it turned into world salad where people just yell "Butai!" over and over again as well as putting the onus on a character like Hikari to drive everything forward which just doesn't really work all that well for me when she's such a blackhole of personality.

Fights were sure pretty though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gunbuster isnt a tv anime. gurren lagann is good and enjoyable but has a real start and stop problem past the second half, and a lot of the interesting stuff they set up mood-wise in the second half gets dropped for more yelling. and it works because thats what the show is about but rossiu is the most interesting character and his conclusion is 'drat, i guess hotblooded screaming IS the answer.'

nadia tv is boring for long stretches, eva is obviously iconic in a ton of ways but i dont really get that into it outside of the arcs where its being monster of the week and the ways it uses its female characters still kinda bug me especially wrt how they're framed in interviews with anno and stuff, i assume nobody is especially interested in my opinion on This Ugly yet Beautiful World

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

gunbuster isnt a tv anime. gurren lagann is good and enjoyable but has a real start and stop problem past the second half, and a lot of the interesting stuff they set up mood-wise in the second half gets dropped for more yelling. and it works because thats what the show is about but rossiu is the most interesting character and his conclusion is 'drat, i guess hotblooded screaming IS the answer.'

nadia tv is boring for long stretches, eva is obviously iconic in a ton of ways but i dont really get that into it outside of the arcs where its being monster of the week and the ways it uses its female characters still kinda bug me especially wrt how they're framed in interviews with anno and stuff, i assume nobody is especially interested in my opinion on This Ugly yet Beautiful World

Sorry, I forgot that Gunbuster was an OVA.

What did Anno say about his female characters in interviews?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched this ugly yet beautiful world when I was 14 on the anime network and don't remember it much outside of the main dude looking like sol badguy when he transformed

Or some other fighting game char idr exactly who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HDSvw1Bqs