Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Thunder Bear posted:

I'll probably pass on Arceus unless there's a hefty sale, but I'm curious: is the Pokemon battling downplayed in favor of catching em' all or are they equally in the spotlight like in the mainline games? Would I be able to battle with a buddy or people online during endgame?

I have brainworms so the "competitive battling" aspect of Pokemon is why I keep coming back.

This isn't the one for you I don't think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know it's stux but a lot of what he's saying lines up with what a lot of other people who have played the game are saying online. More reviewers, both professional and amateur are also sharing similar sentiments so I don't think he's trying to be mean to yall

It's fine to disagree but pretending he's lying is a weird cope. You either enjoy the game for yourself or you don't. It's no big deal

E: people mention you can actually complete the pokédex on your own, that's a pretty big win for the franchise imo. I was one extremely salty child when Mega Man Battle Network decided to do the versions thing and have exclusive chips on each one.

Worse yet several post game bosses and rewards were locked behind completing your library of battlechips. It was awful!! Oh and Mega Man Battle Network 6 went further, they just decided to strip out all of the post game content for the na version. Like an extra five to 10 hours of content was just taken out lmao

Go gently caress yourself Capcom

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 28, 2022

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Folks don't be weird because Stux doesn't like the game. When it leaked literally a good few of us pirated it to try it out.

If you're more into the battling and competitive aspect of Pokemon then skip this game. I like it but it's like swsh where its got a lot of good ideas but they all feel unfinished.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
At this rate Arceus is kind of sounding like "much, much bigger but less polished New Pokemon Snap," which I really liked but don't need more of. Sounds good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm seriously loving it so far though I've only played about an hour and a half. The mechanics really are exactly how I imagined, except back then I imagined switching PokeBalls would be on the C-buttons.

Yes presentation wise they cut so many corners it's almost a perfect circle, but I don't really care about them not having a unique animation for everything.

I ordered it from Amazon a couple weeks ago and mine hasn't shipped yet. :argh: I did get a redemption code for a Garchomp kimono so that's something. I just need the game!

Usually I get Pokemon digitally but I opted not to this time. It doesn't have version differences, so I figure this time I'd go physical so I can share one copy with my husband.

But obv can't play it if Amazon won't ship it to me! Bah. I still have SMTV to get through so that's whatever, but still. BAH.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cancel your order and drive over to Walmart and get it for $49.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pat Mustard posted:

Planescape Torment :good or not good?

Haven't played the Switch version, but the base game is hella good, and the Switch port of Baldur's Gate is perfectly servicable, so I'm gonna go w good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1487112495974080512?t=9cJleD32gHVLFDHvsZpWSQ&s=19

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Pokémon Snap is the best first Pokémon game for anyone because you get to collect ‘em all but it’s actually fun to play.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

just wait for PALWORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcybNpsc3-E

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mario is from the mushroom kingdom and not italy

hes from brooklyn

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

Cancel your order and drive over to Walmart and get it for $49.
I think most Walmarts are sold out in store but it's listed at $49.94 on walmart.com, which enables you to price match anywhere that does price matching (which isn't Amazon).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think most Walmarts are sold out in store but it's listed at $49.94 on walmart.com, which enables you to price match anywhere that does price matching (which isn't Amazon).

Not even Walmart stores price match their website - at least the one near me. They said too bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for reminding me of this bugfuck insane game. Even if it sucks, I have to buy it on premise alone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's how they get you!

this studio's previous game craftopia (which is still in early access btw) is just all flash and scope, no substance or polish from what i've heard, so you can probably expect the same exact thing from this with how they're showing off 30 million different gameplay systems

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah if battling others is what you're into this definitely isn't the one for you. No multiplayer or online battles.

Personally I never cared about battling others in these games, I liked collecting and exploring the world. Everything they added past gen 1 like held items and natures and abilities I just ignored as much as possible.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Removing held items is still a big mystery to me. They would have made for good side quest rewards and the new systems aren't as crazy that items would break it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Seeing people hopeful that GameFreak of all people might expand or iterate on whatever good ideas are in Arceus is some serious lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

man nurse posted:

Before I drop money on the interesting looking new Pokémon game, can someone briefly tell me what it’s like? Is it basically a breath of the Wild where you’re running around in an open world throwing pokeballs at the Pokémon? Cus that sounds good to me. I haven’t followed it much beyond the initial reveal.
It's more Xenoblade Chronicles with a monhun structure.

leftist heap posted:

Seeing people hopeful that GameFreak of all people might expand or iterate on whatever good ideas are in Arceus is some serious lol

they called this a main entry so take that as you will.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

they called this a main entry so take that as you will.

wait poo poo it is?

gently caress, I made a vow to own all main line Pokémon-games coming to Switch, but safely discarded Arceus because the name didn't fit the Pokémon: Random Thing naming scheme.

and I just bought Link's Awakening today, used up my budget for this month

welp, I guess I have to go buy Arceus next month then

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
what are the consequences of the vow being broken, did you sign a blood oath

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/Cain9955/status/1486988755332329479?t=X4l3iRhysEk7jkstBC7Jgg&s=19

They fly now

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Satanic Big Blue Bear climbs a tree ominously

GOTY 2022

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Libluini posted:

wait poo poo it is?

gently caress, I made a vow to own all main line Pokémon-games coming to Switch, but safely discarded Arceus because the name didn't fit the Pokémon: Random Thing naming scheme.

Too bad, if you didn't get it on launch day it doesn't count.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Libluini posted:

wait poo poo it is?

That's dumb, the best pokemon games on switch aren't in the main line

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Javelin posted:

what are the consequences of the vow being broken, did you sign a blood oath

nah, but as soon as I finished making that vow, a blood-curdling voice started whispering from nowhere, promising me never-ending pain if I break my vow

must have been some kind of interdimensional horror who really likes Pokémon, I guess :shrug:

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Game Freak says a lot of things. I wouldn't risk breaking a Faustian bargain over something they've said.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It feels mainline to me, only thing missing is a new set of Pokés

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
If you can't trade or battle Pokemon with your homies, it's not mainline. :v:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Hey I'm too dumb to understand the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 remake wiki. I understand the new game pack will be streaming only. My partner loved the original ps2 game and wants to play that again but I don't want to source a used ps2 and the disc for one game. I understand 2.5 is some remix but that's as far as I understand. If I buy her this new streaming compilation is she going to be able to play a reasonable facsimile of that original game? Thanks for any guidance other than pointing to the wiki, I like a lot of nerdy poo poo but this is incomprehensible to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Removing held items is still a big mystery to me. They would have made for good side quest rewards and the new systems aren't as crazy that items would break it.

Held items and abilities actually. But then you have the ability to switch movesets freely between battle, and the action speed stuff straight out of Final Fantasy X and the strong / Agile stuff

It’s very different. I played a bunch today and it’s really interesting so far, but it is really oddly close to Pokémon snap with the research stuff

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pat Mustard posted:

Planescape Torment :good or not good?

Torment is great.

The Switch version is so-so.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

bartlebee posted:

Hey I'm too dumb to understand the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 remake wiki. I understand the new game pack will be streaming only. My partner loved the original ps2 game and wants to play that again but I don't want to source a used ps2 and the disc for one game. I understand 2.5 is some remix but that's as far as I understand. If I buy her this new streaming compilation is she going to be able to play a reasonable facsimile of that original game? Thanks for any guidance other than pointing to the wiki, I like a lot of nerdy poo poo but this is incomprehensible to me.

If its Kingdom Hearts 2 she wants to play then yes, it's one of three games in 2.5 Remix

Kingdom Hearts 1 is in 1.5 Remix, 2.8 is some assorted side games iirc

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Mario Odyssey is like a drug holy moly. Started playing it today and had a grin on my face the whole time.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Sudden Javelin posted:

If its Kingdom Hearts 2 she wants to play then yes, it's one of three games in 2.5 Remix

Kingdom Hearts 1 is in 1.5 Remix, 2.8 is some assorted side games iirc

Oh yeah sorry, I was unclear. Kingdom hearts 2 is the one she wants to play. Thank you; I just couldn't tell if it was a reasonable port or one where everybody got angry because they changed a bunch in the update. The KH Fandom seems bonkers so it was hard to figure out. Ty.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Held items and abilities actually. But then you have the ability to switch movesets freely between battle, and the action speed stuff straight out of Final Fantasy X and the strong / Agile stuff

Is that how the strong/agile attacks thing works? Because that sound really cool and it's kind of a waste that such a wrinkle is being introduced in a Pokemon where battling isn't the focus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bartlebee posted:

You understand that queuing to even play is a possibility, and that Square can shut down the servers for the game any time they feel it's not profitable enough, right?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Mario Odyssey is like a drug holy moly. Started playing it today and had a grin on my face the whole time.

Mario is one hell of a drug.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
no one has ever died from overdosing on mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bartlebee posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I was unclear. Kingdom hearts 2 is the one she wants to play. Thank you; I just couldn't tell if it was a reasonable port or one where everybody got angry because they changed a bunch in the update. The KH Fandom seems bonkers so it was hard to figure out. Ty.

At least try the demo so you can tell if the whole streaming game thing works.
Also the same compilation exists on every other current system so if you have any other way to play it, I would.