Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Mario X Rabbids on sale on the NA store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got my new Nintendo Switch, dare I say it’s cool… and good??

Edit— any goons want to friend me, go hog wild

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
beat banjo 100%. i will say, thank god for save states because it would not have been fun to do some of that stuff in the original game

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

Great game, get it!

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
My wife and I both have switches, and have had individual online subs. I'm going to upgrade to family ( because we got a couple of lites for our kids). If I add my wife to the family plan, will she get the rest of her subscription back, or should we turn off auto renew and wait until her year is up?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

ive played the game. its not fresh, its just recycling stuff from swoshi and sumo but worse. every zone looks the same. the first three areas have almost entirely the same pokemon for no reason. the boss "fights" are the most deranged braindead trash ive ever seen. the pokedex is a good idea executed so poorly it simply involves grinding out fights/captures to progress. the quests seemt o have been imported from an mmo from the 2000s because they largely involve walking long distances to get three lines of dialog telling you go all the way to the other side of the map for three lines of dialog. its the only pokemon game ive ever stopped playing. however im sure the braindead morons who give assassins creed good scores and played 6 hours of it love it and therefore, its the best one ever.

maybe you shoulda waited for some reviews

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Stux posted:

ive played the game. its not fresh, its just recycling stuff from swoshi and sumo but worse. every zone looks the same. the first three areas have almost entirely the same pokemon for no reason. the boss "fights" are the most deranged braindead trash ive ever seen. the pokedex is a good idea executed so poorly it simply involves grinding out fights/captures to progress. the quests seemt o have been imported from an mmo from the 2000s because they largely involve walking long distances to get three lines of dialog telling you go all the way to the other side of the map for three lines of dialog. its the only pokemon game ive ever stopped playing. however im sure the braindead morons who give assassins creed good scores and played 6 hours of it love it and therefore, its the best one ever.

gonna cry? :troll:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheCenturion posted:

When is it not?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m still cautious about Pokémon legends because

1. I actually like sword and shield
2. Entirely because I found the multiplayer fun

I dunno what a Pokémon game with no “endgame”
Is actually like. They’re not very good as actual rpgs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

New Pokemon game is basically the Pokemon game I always imagined and wanted when I was a kid.

Like in my head its design was almost exactly this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

New Pokemon game is basically the Pokemon game I always imagined and wanted when I was a kid.

Like in my head its design was almost exactly this
Maybe you could've spent a little extra imagination to tighten up the graphics on level 4.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

Maybe you could've spent a little extra imagination to tighten up the graphics on level 4.

I imagined a Pokemon game looking like Ocarina of Time because that's what was out at the time, and that's what happened

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

Look, you can't crunch imagination, ok? That leads to imagination burnout, and then months later, your brain CEO is outed as a sex pest, you get bought by Microsoft... it's a mess.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
another win for nintendo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
drat pokemon fans must be making GBS threads in their nappies about the state of the game, quite literally

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah making GBS threads in excitement. Game rules, haters to the left.

nintendo ftw

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm seriously loving it so far though I've only played about an hour and a half. The mechanics really are exactly how I imagined, except back then I imagined switching PokeBalls would be on the C-buttons.

Yes presentation wise they cut so many corners it's almost a perfect circle, but I don't really care about them not having a unique animation for everything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

maybe you shoulda waited for some reviews

played it before reviews, and as evidentn by the reviews for the game: reviews are completely worthless

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the only reviewer you can trust is... yourself

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Planescape Torment :good or not good?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pat Mustard posted:

Planescape Torment :good or not good?

good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frankly, retail leaks were not that widespread, especially where you're from, so I don't think I believe you've played it. Everything you're saying sounds directly ripped from out of context Twitter leaks, which are deliberately written to get engagement.

I just don't think you're a credible poster.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Can't wait for the labo update, gonna be vomiting between catches, but that's the future baby

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Frankly, retail leaks were not that widespread, especially where you're from, so I don't think I believe you've played it. Everything you're saying sounds directly ripped from out of context Twitter leaks, which are deliberately written to get engagement.

I just don't think you're a credible poster.

hsould be easy to find the source for this then

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah I'm sure the game feels weird on mouse and keyboard

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

nobody has ever connected a controller to a pc

it's just not possible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bushisms.txt posted:

never said the game felt weird to play lol it controls fine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wow the Switch Lite's screen is bigger than I thought.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

nobody has ever connected a controller to a pc

it's just not possible
They're afraid of gyro, it a was 50/50 joke

Stux posted:

never said the game felt weird to play lol it controls fine.
I'm more poking fun at you being so hyper sure and over the game that you had to pirate it to make sure so you had an opinion on it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm more poking fun at you being so hyper sure and over the game that you had to pirate it to make sure so you had an opinion on it

i wasnt hyper sure. i thought the graphics looked bad but that it would probably be fun because its a pokemon game and i love pokemon. imo pokemonn has the highest hit rate on its mainline of nearly any game franchise, none of them are bad. i tried it before release bcos the tech stuff did make me worry and i didnt want to drop $60 sight unseen on gamefreak trying a new direction. any more reasons you would like to discard an opinion u dont agree with or are we finished here.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mario is from the mushroom kingdom and not italy

That's his son Mario II we have been over this

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah making GBS threads in excitement. Game rules, haters to the left.

nintendo ftw

i'm not one to stop anyone from making GBS threads themselves my friend

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

American McGay posted:

Wow the Switch Lite's screen is bigger than I thought.

Yeah, the Switch Lite is a really pretty amazing little piece of hardware. I'm a Nintendo whore, so I have a launch Switch, a Lite and an OLED, and despite the lower quality screen, the Switch Lite is the most awe-inspiring of the devices. It's just so powerful and well built for how small it is.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Pokémon looks pretty good on the OLED screen, looks better than SwSh so far

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The environments are way better than Sword Shield for sure. Everything feels like it actually is to scale, and landscapes are pretty.

Lots of framerate stuttering, and anytime a character does something that would require a new animation it cuts to a different shot. Just like an anime! But overall I think while technically underwhelming the art looks good.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I'll probably pass on Arceus unless there's a hefty sale, but I'm curious: is the Pokemon battling downplayed in favor of catching em' all or are they equally in the spotlight like in the mainline games? Would I be able to battle with a buddy or people online during endgame?

I have brainworms so the "competitive battling" aspect of Pokemon is why I keep coming back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pretty reasonable review. Seems like a solid 7/10. Good idea, poor execution.
Can't wait to seem them iterate on it for the next game but I'll pass on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7ZooH9Zos

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Before I drop money on the interesting looking new Pokémon game, can someone briefly tell me what it’s like? Is it basically a breath of the Wild where you’re running around in an open world throwing pokeballs at the Pokémon? Cus that sounds good to me. I haven’t followed it much beyond the initial reveal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It seems most Pokémon Arceus reviews are written towards longtime series fans or lapsed fans. Is there a quick primer for someone who has been vaguely aware of Pokémon for the series duration but never actually got into it? It sounds like it's a reboot of Diamond/Pearl (which was also remade just last year?) all but in name, so worth checking out?

I nabbed Arceus with the Walmart $50 online price to check it out. It helps there's only one version of it so there's no decision paralysis to suffer from as is usually the case when I think about trying a Pokémon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

man nurse posted:

Before I drop money on the interesting looking new Pokémon game, can someone briefly tell me what it’s like? Is it basically a breath of the Wild where you’re running around in an open world throwing pokeballs at the Pokémon? Cus that sounds good to me. I haven’t followed it much beyond the initial reveal.

Large but empty, ugly world.

Snappy combat and a lot of design choices that go in the right direction but the core of it is just battling and capturing.

No gyms, dungeons or diversions. You just capture and fight.