Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That goblin is an extremely sweet draft card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rahu posted:

I thought it was 36 packs a box and still seemed questionable. Big lol at paying $200 for 24 packs of worse art.

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah if they'd gone for the monster movie poster style like that secret lair, even one per pack, I would have even remotely considered it. but they're not even trying.

Seriously, "put a b&w filter on the art" is such an insanely low-effort gimmick and it looks like complete rear end.
lol that it's more than twice the pack price.
Double Feature pack:
- costs more
- 2 rares
- 4 uncommons
- 8 commons
- 1 foil
- lovely art

One pack each of Crimson Vow and Midnight Hunt:
- costs less
- 2 rares
- 6 uncommons
- 20 commons
- art that doesn't look like poo poo

Like, maybe if that foil slot was a guaranteed rare or had an alternate art treatment like the movie posters or something, maaaaaaybe it would be worth it.

Mostly I just can't get over how completely poo poo the black & white filter treatment looks, what a laughably terrible gimmick for a product.

GonSmithe posted:

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/1487154454683996160?s=21

The Goblin’s an awesome Limited/Cube card, god drat.

Twinshot Sniper seems like a crazy good value card for limited at least.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I like the pseudo-exalted thing Samurai have going on, it's good flavor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I like the pseudo-exalted thing Samurai have going on, it's good flavor.

It makes for some interesting all in attacks. I feel like effects that give trample or flying is going to be pretty sweet.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Iron Heart posted:

I think the "deathtouch counter doesn't actually give deathtouch" thing is more about how if you ninjutsu in Kappa Tech-Wrecker and burn the counter on the ability, you're left with a vanilla 1/3 on the field after, which is something that's easy to forget when you think "oh, it has a deathtouch counter, AND removal" when your reading comprehension is low.

You know what I bet is going to feel great when it lines up? Ninjaing in one of the "remove the counter for an effect" cards, getting the effect, and then bouncing it back to put in another ninja after damage for a better body in play and another go-around later.

Not making any claims as to whether that'll be good in whatever the limited format ends up looking like, but it sure sounds satisfying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What purpose does a deathtouch counter that doesn't give deathtouch serve? Or any counter that doesn't grant what it says, you know what I mean.

So if you had walked away from the game and skipped Ikoria it would be reasonable to assume the ability is not granted by the counter.
Take, for example, Sensei Golden-Tail from the original Kamigawa. He puts "Training Counters" on a creature, gives it Bushido 1, and makes it part Samurai. But the counters themselves don't do anything. They're only reminders to let people know this creature has had that ability activated X times, and removing or adding more of them also won't alter the creature. Now flash forward, if that card was printed today we'd have a host of people asking "So does this give the creature Training? Does training stack?" because WOTC made [Ability] Counters a thing and Training was an Ability in the last set.
(Before anyones asks: No it doesn't give Training, and yes training stacks)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

You have a metal as gently caress Sword Volcano eruption and NOT have it be a badass board wipe? Oooook Like you could have made it be asymmetrical and your red creatures don't get killed but get buffed by lava swords until your next end step when the swords kill your creatures.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This art really tricks you into thinking this card is more ownage than it is lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The bad Mizzit's Mastery.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mcmagic posted:

The bad Mizzit's Mastery.

mizzix's mastery is real good as it turned out and they're not gonna put a similar or better version in standard

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I always screw up this rule when it comes up:

Invoke Calamity does not allow you to cast Sorceries at Instant speed correct?

edit: or does it? I think it's good if it does!

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 28, 2022

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AngryBooch posted:

You choose the spells and cast them as part of Invoke Calamity's resolution, so neither spell is really obeying any sorcery or priority timing rules, they're just chosen and put on the stack.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Doesn't target the cards to be cast, which is a little upside.

(I guess because you can't target cards in your hand)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Twinshot Sniper is really good imo. I really like channel as a mechanic especially for limited. It just feels better than cycle because of how open ended it is.

I also really dig the samurai mechanic for similar reasons.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It may not be good, but I am very eager to cast Casualties of War on an opponent's end step. A turn early!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

You choose the spells and cast them as part of Invoke Calamity's resolution, so neither spell is really obeying any sorcery or priority timing rules, they're just chosen and put on the stack.

i thought you have to still follow instant/sorcery rules for this unless the card says something like you can treat the cards like they had flash?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

AngryBooch posted:

edit: or does it? I think it's good if it does!

This should get around normal sorcery speed timing restrictions, for the simple fact that the rules don't allow you to cast a spell during another spells resolution, so once that's out the window, it's a free for all.

Strong Sauce posted:

i thought you have to still follow instant/sorcery rules for this unless the card says something like you can treat the cards like they had flash?

The key difference is whether the spell makes you cast it as part of resolution, or enables you to cast the spell for a certain duration. "You may cast cards exiled this way until the end of your next turn" let's you basically pretend the cards are in your hand; you still are subject to the normal restrictions.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So, this poo poo always trips me up too but my understanding is if the card gives a timeframe (Snapcaster) then you have to abide by timing restrictions. If it doesn't (Finale of whatever) then you resolve the spells as part of the resolution of the spell, which means you can technically cast sorceries at instant speed.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I wonder if there'd be a reason to use Invoke Calamity in modern with the suspend spells, restore balance living end and ancestral visions. Removes the deckbuilding reqs from cascade.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Strong Sauce posted:

I think that case is for when the cards are madr available to be cast at a later time.

From a cursory Scryfall search it looks like Permanents get "as though it had flash" as a bonus, and activated abilities can get "any time you could cast an instant"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

I wonder if there'd be a reason to use Invoke Calamity in modern with the suspend spells, restore balance living end and ancestral visions. Removes the deckbuilding reqs from cascade.

Imo there’s way more percentage in playing a deck that has to build around cascade than there is in playing a deck that can make that much red mana and requires a stocked yard.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Imo there’s way more percentage in playing a deck that has to build around cascade than there is in playing a deck that can make that much red mana and requires a stocked yard.

It works from hand too, but you are right about the mana cost.
It's a really bad Past in Flames for Storm.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

It works from hand too, but you are right about the mana cost.
It's a really bad Past in Flames for Storm.

Oh fair enough, casting from hand is kind of neat.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I think that case is for when the cards are madr available to be cast at a later time.

From a cursory Scryfall search it looks like Permanents get "as though it had flash" as a bonus, and activated abilities can get "any time you could cast an instant"
That makes sense I think.. although a search for, "You may cast up to..." all are cards that must be cast in the main phase (creatures/sorceries)

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22cast+up+to%22

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to invoke calamity into invoke calamity and faithless looting and none of you will stop me.
It's a ritual, not a pif/mastery

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

Yuppers. This is another card for my dumb As Foretold deck. :getin:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Reconfigure, channel, sagas, transform, vehicles, Legendary Enchantment Creature - Shrine, Phyrexian mana.

Is this the most complex set MTG has ever made? Maybe even more than Time Spiral block?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Human Crouton posted:

Reconfigure, channel, sagas, transform, vehicles, Legendary Enchantment Creature - Shrine, Phyrexian mana.

Is this the most complex set MTG has ever made? Maybe even more than Time Spiral block?

it depends on if you want to include mechanics that people are familiar with and don't consider that complex anymore, like sagas and vehicles

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Vehicles are normal now, dfcs have been in every set for over a year now.

But moreover, if I'm counting right Future sight alone had 24 mechanics. A couple were new keywords for existing things, many were complete one/two-offs and are the only cards in the game to have had and still to have them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kaldheim was also pretty stuffed mechanics wise

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Shrines are a theme, not a mechanic

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Keywording has this weird effect where it makes things feel more complicated sometimes, especially for newer players or when first learning a set, because each keyword feels like an extra thing you have to remember at all times, but if you just encountered all the cards individually you could parse them individually in the moment and they wouldn’t seem complicated.

Having a few keywords is good because it helps you shortcut things — “oh, I know what this does, it’s the same mechanic as that other card” — but if you keyword too many things in the same set it feels overwhelming because you’re trying to remember too many short-cuts at once.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I judge complexity by the experience of new people playing the game, not by us virile veterans.

Reconfigure is definitely complex. We have creatures that are artifacts becoming non-creatures when that attach to creatures, and then become artifacts and creatures again when they are unattached.

Channel isn't a spell. It can't be countered. It's just something that a card does in your hand; but a new player that has countered a spell will expect to be able to counter it.

Imagine teaching a new player. Is this the set you'd choose to teach them on?

I'm not saying complexity is bad. I like it. I'm just saying that this set is very complex. We can't judge complexity by the fact that we can understand it. We understand all of it intrinsically at this point. But just because we get it, doesn't mean it's not the most complex set yet.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'channel is like cycling, an activated ability of a card in your hand that doesn't count as casting it'

also never call me a virile veteran again

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The virgin flatluigi vs the virile Human Crouton chad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kaldheim, Strixhaven, and Kamigawa Neon are definitely more complex (for new players at least) than anything else we've gotten in standard for the past 10+ years. It's an interesting trend. Not sure if it's a positive one but I personally enjoy it a lot except in limited.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

this is fewer mechanics than Crimson Vow

Training, Cleave, Blood, Daybound/Nightbound, Transform (other), Disturb, Exploit, Vehicle.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's not just the number of mechanics that make something complex though. It's the complexity of the mechanics.

I think that Crimson Vow was fairly complex. I just think that Neon Dynasty is more complex. I'd rather teach a new person to play on Crimson Vow than Neon Dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Shrines are a theme, not a mechanic

Still adds complexity to a set (albeit not as much as a full mechanic). One of my first magic sets was Planeshift and I kept thinking Lairs had some kind of special rules baggage attached to them like Walls or Legends.