Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Oh it's a manufacturing error, it just affects every plane they've ever made. NBD, it'll be fixed in the next batch we buy from them at full price

Look they told the joint chiefs at the dealership they should have gotten that clear coat, it's on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1486917754796101635?s=20&t=Rd344E73pWnRxaQbzI8njA

Kharkov is in eastern Ukraine, right along the border. But still, lol.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ash1138 posted:

Biden addressed Zelensky as "boy" multiple times during the call and repeatedly declared to the President of Ukraine that "you are not ready."
update: zelensky's advisors suggest not trusting whitey

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Other notable WWII failures that have been mentioned before were USA's torpedos that never detonated because they were never tested with a live fuse/payload. And supposedly the tanks that were meant for lend-lease were really lovely too.

tbf the US didn't have a doctrinal system of tanks and the M3 was just following prewar tank ideas.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fly Molo posted:

two notable moments in the years-long saga of hosed up US WW2 torpedos:

and

Americans spent insane amounts of money on torpedos that wouldn’t explode when dropped from a height but would blow up the submarine that launched them

lmao

If you’ve played Silent Hunter 4, or the newer Wolfpack and U-Boat (though these use German subs and fire control equipment) the math to set up a shot from outside 90 degrees, even with those 1940’s era fire control computers is much more difficult. You can see why having a weapon that’s a dud most often when used optimally is a big loving problem.

For the reason of the fire control problem, and simple pen-and-paper trigonometry, the best place to position your sub relative a target is 90 degrees to their course. It makes all of the math and shooting easier, it’s also a much better tactical position. If you set a gyro on the torpedo to get an oblique hit on the target from that 90 degree firing position you risk the gyro malfunctioning, leading to a circular run, as in the example of the Tang.

These two defects combined means the losses of Tang, Growler, Grunion, Trout and Tullibee all fall on the BurOrd loving around with fancy technology and failing to test either detonators or gyros properly.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Mostly, a mechanically reliable vehicle that can get a 40mm or 57mm gun into action is infinitely more useful than a 88mm gun on a vehicle broken down, in depot, or returned to Germany for repairs.

War Thunder, like the hex and counter games of the 60’s, has poisoned a generation with an obsession over frontal armour thickness and gun calibre.

Makes you wonder about the Abram’s gas turbine engine, eh?

The narrow focus on tank-to-tank combat is still ignoring the threat from field AT guns. Your average tank crew had a lot more to worry from those than other tanks or TDs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The narrow focus on tank-to-tank combat is still ignoring the threat from field AT guns. Your average tank crew had a lot more to worry from those than other tanks or TDs.

My theory for this is that Americans are oblivious to the Western Desert campaign, where the British learned that lesson the hard way.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Are we sure it's not blood for their undead vampire battalions? Sources with knowledge of the matter keep telling me this.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1487066734007832583?cxt=HHwWjsCy3ZrUj6MpAAAA

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/nyetalia/status/1487171536670937095?t=AQCU3Ro33YykxVDUdAwMCQ&s=19

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kharkov was a great level in BF1942 where you can just park a missile truck on top of a hill and poo poo on the nazis.

here’s hoping it happens again

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LoL, love this guy.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Incredible

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/Gregor_Schwartz/status/1487140542429507585
Lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

chenspirational

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I wrote this this in the Covid thread but I literally couldn’t believe that the Biden administration Covid tests everyone was arguing about on Twitter were those self test antigen ones. They’re very unreliable to begin with and are practically useless when it comes to omicron. Would absolutely be better not to distribute those test and avoid all those false negatives.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

is twitter unreadable now if you dont have a account?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was half joking before, but how possible is a Colour Revolution to put in more
amenable leadership in the Ukraine?

This guy is not playing ball and loving up the whole game.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hedenius posted:

I wrote this this in the Covid thread but I literally couldn’t believe that the Biden administration Covid tests everyone was arguing about on Twitter were those self test antigen ones. They’re very unreliable to begin with and are practically useless when it comes to omicron. Would absolutely be better not to distribute those test and avoid all those false negatives.

avoiding false negatives? what for?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trump has been unseated as the king of posting.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

avoiding false negatives? what for?
The test showing you as negative for Covid infection when you’re actually infected as hell.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hedenius posted:

The appearance of doing something is very important.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

clear evidence the people's republic is mobilizing forces for an imminent taiwan invasion

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1487006289809276928?c

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ughhhh posted:

is twitter unreadable now if you dont have a account?

It was for me, but then I installed an opera extension that removes all that poo poo and I'm having the best twitter experience in years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hedenius posted:

The test showing you as negative for Covid infection when you’re actually infected as hell.

Why would they care, they need people going to work not quarantining

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
new submersible f35!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I was half joking before, but how possible is a Colour Revolution to put in more
amenable leadership in the Ukraine?

This guy is not playing ball and loving up the whole game.

There's plenty of fascists in Ukraine who are willing to kill for it, but also nobody really wants to take Zelensky's job.

I think he deserves a lot of credit for not giving in to American pressure to choose national suicide.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In a real country somebody at Lockheed Martin would be thrown in a jail cell.

Imagine yourself paying $2 trillion to a vendor for a lovely 70 year project AND not owning the IP rights for manufacturing and maintenance

It's almost like Lockheed is an anti-war org bent on sabotaging america

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Palladium posted:

Imagine yourself paying $2 trillion to a vendor for a lovely 70 year project AND not owning the IP rights for manufacturing and maintenance

It's almost like Lockheed is an anti-war org bent on sabotaging america

capitalist entities surviving off the government to provide efficient and effective military resources have the wrong incentive structure to do a good job and nothing can change that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

we stan the anti-imperialist defense industry and their wrecker engineers :patriot:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/eoinmauricedaly/status/1487175120573636614?t=9mtdwzrgIMiTyivn-O8-aA&s=19

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This provocation could destabilize the "united kingdom" and precipitate a Scottish civil war, or perhaps even a French invasion! Why is Boris Johnson not more concerned with this imminent threat??

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

hopefully they figure out the west loving sucks as an ally before they get rolled over in 10 years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Slavvy posted:

This provocation could destabilize the "united kingdom" and precipitate a Scottish civil war, or perhaps even a French invasion! Why is Boris Johnson not more concerned with this imminent threat??

Even as we speak, Pictish chieftains are plotting their revenge upon Albion.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we stan the anti-imperialist defense industry and their wrecker engineers :patriot:

"lol lets make a $230 million air superiority fighter but without a head mounted cueing system, lol"

"yeah, then we can put one on the F-35 but it costs $500,000 and blinds the pilot"

"lmao, allahu akbar"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Atrocious Joe posted:

the weird rear end imperialist social democrats on twitter are down for the coup
https://twitter.com/SpaghettiKozak/status/1487105354404093958?s=20&t=YaSSgrpy0Ls2rzrBySR-2g

chickenhawk rhetoric is so goddamned predictable

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

not sure that guy actually counts as a chickenhawk

https://twitter.com/SpaghettiKozak/status/1484551525431132163

imo the real chickenhawks are the weirds praying for war in this very thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

clear evidence the people's republic is mobilizing forces for an imminent taiwan invasion

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1487006289809276928?c

The next arms race will Zoids development