Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

uncle blog posted:

Anybody else having trouble playing the game online, on console? I thought only PC was affect by the security flaw. I'm on Xbox Series X. Offline is not the same, especially now that I'm bumbling around in the Pharros caves wondering where to put my drat stones.

If you're looking for the exit, Doors of Pharros is pretty much 100% optional. When you enter the area, if you go up the ramp left then right into the round room (where Gavlan will be if you talked to him in Wharf and Harvest Valley), you can just climb the stairs and follow the path, it goes straight to the next area, with only one or two mobs on the way.

There are items and a (lovely optional) boss in Doors of Pharros, but you really don't need to bother if you're just trying to beat the game. And it's pretty easy to waste your lockstones if you go in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
that reminds me, I wanna cheat myself 99 lockstones and go and see what's where. Might do that some time this weekend

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
There are traps in there, hth.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FishMcCool posted:

For a caster, I like Enchanted on the MLGS. It doesn't scale up as hilariously as Magic, but it turns it into still hefty *physical* damage, which is handy for anything with magic resistances, i.e. DLC bosses.

Obviously, the ultimate solution is to bonfire ascetic Freja once more and make two MLGS, one for base game, one for DLC.

MLGS is 18/18 STR/DEX, that unlocks alot of physical weapons. Even without any physical scaling, you can do more than enough damage with a +10 mace or +10 rapier or +10 longsword against new game DLC enemies.

I know because I've been doing a whole bunch of SM restricted runs through the DLC, and I'm currently on an SL1 run.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

MLGS is 18/18 STR/DEX, that unlocks alot of physical weapons. Even without any physical scaling, you can do more than enough damage with a +10 mace or +10 rapier or +10 longsword against new game DLC enemies.

I know because I've been doing a whole bunch of SM restricted runs through the DLC, and I'm currently on an SL1 run.

Fair enough. But my sexy witch won't be caught dead wielding a vulgar mace when she can show off that glammed up MLGS.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My go-to strike-type damage weapon is a normal mace because you always seem to find one so drat early. I hate it, but it works on so many enemies with a low STR requirement.

But, yes. It's ugly.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
My main complaint with DS2 is the Estoc or Rapier or whatever is so ludicrously broken that all speedruns on YouTube are just triple thrust boss dead game over.

Miyazaki hear my prayers and remove it from Smelden Bling

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Charles Bukowski posted:

There are traps in there, hth.

Hey, and like, three items! One of which is just a soul item, one clutch of consumables, and Santiers Spear, of course.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The traps are cool but pointless if you're not summoning intruders. and if you're summoning intruders you're probably ganking them at spawn anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Hey, and like, three items! One of which is just a soul item, one clutch of consumables, and Santiers Spear, of course.

Santiers Spear makes it alone worth a visit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the water traps are loving stupid as hell. You're just gonna fight the person in the water. No one is gonna go walking into little crevices.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looking forward to seeing all the stupid pointless traps for myself with my 99 lockstones :unsmigghh:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
The idea is cool, the execution and interface just need work. It would be cool if Elden Ring has a “Build your own Sen’s Fortress” covenant. I’m imagining you are given a certain number of points that you can spend on tricking out your fortress. 5 pts for a basic “hollow”, 20 to narrow the walkways, 100 for swinging axes, 300 for a big crab.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

The idea is cool, the execution and interface just need work. It would be cool if Elden Ring has a “Build your own Sen’s Fortress” covenant. I’m imagining you are given a certain number of points that you can spend on tricking out your fortress. 5 pts for a basic “hollow”, 20 to narrow the walkways, 100 for swinging axes, 300 for a big crab.

Would 100% get destroyed by my own boulders just like the lizard dudes in the original.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pulcinella posted:

How much would a "basic hollow with a torch" cost in your theoretical system?

This is a very important question.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It depends, the DS1 torch hollows were broken (in the same way DS2 ice rats are broken).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
BTW I've finally truly hit a wall in my DS2 SL1 run.

All base game bosses have been finished, except Gargoyles and Darklurker (both of which I'm honestly not worried about).

Sunken King, all bosses done, it wasn't that bad.

Ivory King, all bosses done. That's right, horse gently caress valley and the twin cats is easy on new game SL1.

Iron King, Fume Knight was hard but doable. Alonne was hard, but a matter of reaction.

Blue Smelter Demon? I assumed he'd be pretty easy. But no, I can't do him, not with 88 or 92 agility. I think that fucker, of all people, has ended my run.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Blue Smelter Demon? I assumed he'd be pretty easy. But no, I can't do him, not with 88 or 92 agility. I think that fucker, of all people, has ended my run.

Don't take my word for it, but having watched (too) many speedruns, I think a fair amount of Smelter attacks go over your head if you stick to his belly (and possibly a little bit left or right). Not sure if they're the ones blocking you though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
gently caress smelter

Phobophilia posted:

It depends, the DS1 torch hollows were broken (in the same way DS2 ice rats are broken).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikBebgxnNY

you can be a broken torch hollow in DS2 as well!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

gently caress smelter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikBebgxnNY

you can be a broken torch hollow in DS2 as well!

Burning bonfire ascetics for 15 minutes torch duration each has to be the most awesome ascetic flex *ever*. :lmao:

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Continuing my dex playthrough I started for Return to Drangleic. I have an +10 uchigatana, which is kinda boring but reliable. Unfortunately, it only has A scaling, and since I’m still pretty early in the game (still need to kill the Rotten), I think I’m going to need something with more juice to tackle the back half of the game. I tried out the rapier but got annoyed at how slow the tracking is - if you’re spamming R1, it just keeps poking in the same direction, which is alright for big guys but awful for dogs & regular-size hollows. The partizan is nice, might try out a twinblade if I get my strength up a bit. Trying to resist the urge to go with giant clubs and hammers like I usually do :v:
On the bright side, I took out old iron king so fast that he didn’t even do his duck-in-the-lava routine, and I’m getting most bosses on the first or second try. No dice with smelter demon though, even after depopulating most of iron keep trying to get the blacksteel katana (not really an upgrade vs the uchi, as far as I could tell).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Uchi can easily carry you through the game.

Rapier is better at bosses than trash enemies, and the trick is to not lock on all the time, rather only lock on right as you attack. Do most of your adjustment with your left stick.

Blacksteel is more of a pvp weapon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Charles Bukowski posted:

I will always do my best to help my bae Lucatiel in every run.

She is my friend

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I don't really ever use the L2 unless I'm feeling really cocky and want to stunt on someone

So, almost never

I used the L2 for bunches of enemies generally, not worth it for single targets.

E: this is why you refresh tabs :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You had this tab open for a month? lol

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've been clearing out my tabs all day :negative:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know this is some serious thread necromancy, but I booted this wonderful game up on Sunday morning and I have to say it genuinely is my favourite of the Souls trilogy.

I decided to try an NG+ and immediately having new enemies in places makes me grin so much. There are so many unique mechanics that I forgot I missed and even if the lighting did not fully work out the way they wanted, I still really dig the torch mechanic and the shadows.

Also it is surprising me just how much Elden Ring takes inspiration from it and probably the reason why Elden Ring is my favourite Fromsoft game; because this one is such an all timer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I know this is some serious thread necromancy, but I booted this wonderful game up on Sunday morning and I have to say it genuinely is my favourite of the Souls trilogy.

I decided to try an NG+ and immediately having new enemies in places makes me grin so much. There are so many unique mechanics that I forgot I missed and even if the lighting did not fully work out the way they wanted, I still really dig the torch mechanic and the shadows.

Also it is surprising me just how much Elden Ring takes inspiration from it and probably the reason why Elden Ring is my favourite Fromsoft game; because this one is such an all timer.

DS2's one of the few games I can comfortably return to and play for hours; I think "cozy" is the term I'd use to describe it, even if that might seem a bit odd for a Fromsoft title. It's a handcrafted adventure that hits a sweet spot of difficulty for me when I want a game that's challenging without being overwhelming, and there's enough variation in weapon styles and magic that you can get an absurd amount of replayability out of it. It's definitely one of the games I want a remaster of the most with some updated mechanics (mostly stuff like Weapon Arts) and better graphics (including modern facegen).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
hell yeah DS2 rules so much

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Majula is my happy place

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This game is like if Elden Ring were made on half the timescale and budget. Foul, tarnished, but emboldened by the flame of ambition.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Really the only thing I'd want is the removal of soul memory

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

skasion posted:

This game is like if Elden Ring were made on half the timescale and budget. Foul, tarnished, but emboldened by the flame of ambition.

The more I play the more this is true.

Big sprawling world you can visit in any order if you are getting stuck?
Power stancing?
Stonesword keys/Pharos Lockstones?
emerald herald/melina both being 'created' to bring down the current system?
The queen sneakily being behind everything that went wrong?

Man, this game rocks :D

KingSlime posted:

Majula is my happy place

The music that plays and the perpetual sunset is like no other hub world place.

Vermain posted:

DS2's one of the few games I can comfortably return to and play for hours; I think "cozy" is the term I'd use to describe it, even if that might seem a bit odd for a Fromsoft title. It's a handcrafted adventure that hits a sweet spot of difficulty for me when I want a game that's challenging without being overwhelming, and there's enough variation in weapon styles and magic that you can get an absurd amount of replayability out of it. It's definitely one of the games I want a remaster of the most with some updated mechanics (mostly stuff like Weapon Arts) and better graphics (including modern facegen).

I totally get this. DS2 in the Elden Ring engine - I would be there for that!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I was talking with a Fromsoft Friend the other day about why this is our favorite of the series despite the flaws we both acknowledge it has, and it came down to atmosphere. The general melancholia of the world is really apparent in DS2, told by the NPCs, the world itself, and the story. And yeah, Majula is the best hub. :allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Really the only thing I'd want is the removal of soul memory

A patch changing matchmaking like DS3/ER based on level+weapon upgrade would be amazing. And enough reason to inject life on DS2 forever.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

VideoGames posted:

it genuinely is my favourite of the Souls trilogy

:five:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dark souls 2 was the first one I went into fresh, pretty much right after it released. Spent a lot of hours in my little college apartment playing it. Rolling out of bed, hearing the menu loading sound. Idk what that sound even is.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS2 is a wonderful janky mess! The weirdo amnesiac NPCs, sunset chill Majula, best Fashion Souls, best coop play…

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

KingSlime posted:

Majula is my happy place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The absolute joy of killing two mobs guarding the outside of a door in the Bastille for the first time, only to end up being ganked by the 14 mobs inside. Or going down that ladder into the dog pit. Or the 68th Forlorn invasion. Or breaking your controller after getting killed for the 14th time in a row at the Chariot's fog gate. Or pulling that lever in Aldrich's Keep. :allears:

I wish I could experience that first run once again. Elden Ring has some moments that get close, mind, but even then, after spending so many hours on previous souls games, it didn't have that same rage-triggering quality, which made DS2 replays so exhilarating by comparison with the early days. I went into Drangleic all cocky from having beaten DS1, once, with Havel's set and a BKS. To say it was a bit of a shock would be an understatement.