Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I doubt Underlords would have survived long-term anyway, autochess wasn't a genre that ended up having staying power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Still, Valves fell off much harder than the competition. TFT has 38k Twitch viewers right now, in the same ballpark as Hearthstone and WoW, while Underlords has... 31

not 31 thousand, just 31

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 28, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

yo, Mini Motorways is really, REALLY good

A goon works on it! Their office is just down from my house.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I doubt Underlords would have survived long-term anyway, autochess wasn't a genre that ended up having staying power.

I think it's still really big in Chinese and Korean markets but Valve games have never really been top dog there anyways. And at least a few months ago a Blizzard dev implied that while they can't release numbers, if Hearthstone's Battlegrounds mode were it's own client it would likely beat out Hearthstone in mobile app store popularity

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Any takes on Black Skylands or The Last Spell?

Last Spell is great as a roguelite base defense. I am not positive if you could beat it on first play due to the upgrades you get from earning meta currency, but i have played 20 hours, beat the maps multiple times, and will come back with more updates. Keep in mind it is very hard and meant to be that way, but they have handicap settings that makes the game easier (and i abused because i'm here for a good time, not a hard time)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My return to Shovel Knight continues with Specter of Torment now beaten. It's a neat new episode in the series, with Specter Knight coming up with his own movement gimmicks: running up walls and dashing mid-air through enemies. Also, though that's an armour upgrade, scytheboarding, including on spikes. The movement options are cool and the levels designed to cater to them, so the rooms tend to be pretty straightforward. Even more so as the game is completely open ended Megaman style, allowing you to tackles the other knights in any order, which is pretty cool. Each beaten boss will unlock a special power (curio), and they feel almost overpowered with mid-air floating up, teleport to enemy across any walls/obstacles, HP regeneration... This makes both platforming and combat even easier than the already generous move/attack options you get by default.

This all combines into making it a rather short campaign: it took me just over 5h to beat, half what I needed for Shovel and Plague. Together with the non-linearity, it probably makes it fairly replayable without requiring much time. The story is a prequel to that of the previous two, and is ok, but that's about it. It doesn't have the charm of Plague's.

Ultimately, it was enjoyable and I can see myself replaying it at some point, but Plague of Shadows remains my favourite. I guess Plague's identical stage layouts from Shovel make the movement shine a lot more and feel more game-breaking. Here Specter gets tailored levels straight made up for the abilities so it feels more like following a script (although scytheboarding and curios allow some serious shortcutting).

If you liked the idea of Shovel Knight but found it too difficult, you may want to try Specter of Torment. It's a *lot* easier, and fully open-ended so like in Megaman, you get 8 stages to explore straight away. No getting stuck on the first few!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

Dota Underlords bombed pretty hard too. Riot have really been eating Valves lunch as of late, they've tackled a lot of similar projects and come out ahead every time

Teamfight Tactics vs. Dota Underlords
Runeterra vs. Artifact
Valorant vs. Counterstrike (hasn't killed CS but it's the first serious competition it's ever had)
Arcane vs. DOTA Dragons Blood

Valorant is terrible though

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Flython posted:

Thanks Hub Cat. I'll give that a go. I'm tempted to get a more recent controller but I really like my PS3 pad.
If you really like the DS3 form factor specifically both the 8BitDo and Mayflash USB adapters support them and can make the PC think they're an XInput controller, which results in less trouble with modern PC games. Either one costs about $20.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gaius Marius posted:

Valorant is terrible though

Honest question: Why? From what I've seen it's exactly CS, pistol rounds bombs and all, with the added rainbow effects of a bunch of superpowers that are popular nowadays. Gameplay is still a bunch of people peeking and headshooting each other. What's so bad about it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah its CS gameplay to a tee, but with the regular dripfeed of content that zoomers demand

cs:go is fine but valve does very little with it besides poo poo out some new hats every so often

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm no Valorant expert but I imagine all those powers make the way matches play out a lot different from CS

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valorant doesn't have purchasable grenades, so a significant chunk of the abilities are just analogues of CS frags/flashes/smokes/molotovs in slightly different variations

the ultimates tend to be wackier but the cooldown on those is tied to kills or objectives so you need to perform well at the core counterstrike-ish gameplay to actually use them

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Serephina posted:

Honest question: Why? From what I've seen it's exactly CS, pistol rounds bombs and all, with the added rainbow effects of a bunch of superpowers that are popular nowadays. Gameplay is still a bunch of people peeking and headshooting each other. What's so bad about it?

Valorant is a game where almost every character is one that I wouldn't want to play if they were in a different game. The abilities are based mostly on sight lines or gaining information rather than something that feels more directly impactful, mostly stuff like deploying smoke screens or sentry cameras in 20 different variations. You also can't aim unless you're standing still, which is probably more accurate to real life but not fun to actually play.

Maybe if you played a bunch of Counterstrike it would feel more natural but I bounced off it hard. At least it's free so there's nothing to lose from giving it a try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t like how long the matches seemed to drag on for. People said it was just like CS but I don’t remember those games taking so long.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Valorant is exactly like CS and that’s why it’s bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only install CS:GO every couple years, play a few rounds of Gun Game, and then uninstall it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's a bunch of autochess games but most of them have shifted to singleplayer. The multiplayer one just straight up called "Autochess" is very popular particularly in China, it's on Epic, console and mobile so I don't know how to get an actual player count but the reddit is far more active than the underlords reddit. It's made by the person who made the original Autochess custom map IIRC, or they sold the rights to the devs that made it or something.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 29, 2022

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

CS is terrible, so Valorant is terrible

yea Riot has def been eating Valve's lunch on their projects, hopefully their MMO ends up not being garbo

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
i try csgo once a month and almost everytime im in a game with a hacker. idk if its me or valves anticheat just not being up to snuff anymore but i rarely play more than a few games cause once i see hacking bullshit i quit again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, CS was fun for its time, but nowadays it's very much apparent that its main gameplay dynamics are more than 20 years old and have remained largely unchanged since then. If you really love CS for one reason or another then I guess Valorant is fine, but also game design has come a ways since 2000.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 29, 2022

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't Ruined King just a reskin of Battle Chasers?

Ruined King seemed to do much better for the devs, though. Probably sold way more copies in a few months than Battle Chasers ever did in 4 years.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, CS was fun for its time, but nowadays it's very much apparent that it's main gameplay dynamics are more than 20 years old and have remained largely unchanged since then. If you really love CS for one reason or another then I guess Valorant is fine, but also game design has come a ways since 2000.

It is a tragedy that CS and its imitators (Valorant and Crossfire) have survived while Unreal Tournament died to never even have a spiritual sucessor. I didn't even like CS when it was new.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EA Sports posted:

i try csgo once a month and almost everytime im in a game with a hacker. idk if its me or valves anticheat just not being up to snuff anymore but i rarely play more than a few games cause once i see hacking bullshit i quit again.

VAC isn't up to snuff, Valve mostly relies on Overwatch at this point (human review of suspicious replays, crowdsourced of course because lol at Valve ever hiring moderators)

Most serious CS:GO players play on 3rd party matchmakers (FaceIt/ESEA) which use their own stronger AC solutions instead of VAC

Valorants custom AC got a lot of flak for being invasive but it is very effective

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 29, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

It is a tragedy that CS and its imitators (Valorant and Crossfire) have survived while Unreal Tournament died to never even have a spiritual sucessor. I didn't even like CS when it was new.

I mean there have been lots of Go Fast Shoot Mans since UT. But none really caught on, and I don't think any have had the array of cool guns with cool alternate fire modes.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm thinking of grabbing RE4 for cheap, having enjoyed 2make, 8, and half of 3make and 7. Are any of the post-4, pre-7 games worth a look if I really enjoyed the specific exploration/survival loop of 2 and 4?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing RE4 for cheap, having enjoyed 2make, 8, and half of 3make and 7.

You couldn't really have timed RE4 better, the insanely ambitious RE4HD mod project is launching on Wednesday after like 8 years in development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q_IkEPd18

They went to the lengths of digging up the original photo references that Capcom used in order to recreate everything

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 29, 2022

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Heh heh heh... Thank you!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Never understood the appeal of Valorant too, its just bland to play personally. It was designed for esports, so its obviously too sterile to have fun with. It's meta or gtfo.

Same as CSGO really, the top competitions only play the same 4 maps all the loving time.Still watch the big games on twitch, but holy poo poo it can be boring.
drat I want to see a cs_office just once Navi vs Astralis final or whoever.
Only play Gun Rush in CSGO these days. Its a random clusterfuck which was how the game was at the start.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Splitgate scratched my itch for a UT successor, personally. People compare it just as much to Halo as UT, but for me it was exactly what I wanted in a UT successor.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing RE4 for cheap, having enjoyed 2make, 8, and half of 3make and 7. Are any of the post-4, pre-7 games worth a look if I really enjoyed the specific exploration/survival loop of 2 and 4?

It technically came out before RE4, but you don't mention it so: REmake is excellent.

I played through it recently for the first time and couldn't be happier with it. The pre-rendered backgrounds still look amazing and and it is very much a classic exploration/resource management game akin to 2make. I played through with normal controls after dying twice in a row to tutorial zombie with tank controls, and they worked much better for me. It did make bosses kind of easy, but whatevs.

After beating it with Jill, I immediately replayed on the harder difficulty with Chris and had a blast. It was like a puzzle game. I really recommend checking it out. Easy a top 3 RE game imo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Project Warlock is on sale for $3 until February 3rd.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am waiting for retro shooters to hit the 1998-2005 era. I'd also like a UT2K4 clone that has Onslaught and Assault.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ut2k4's onslaught was the herald of arena shooters transitioning into aping battlefields and calladoodies with its capture points and vehicles and anyone attempting its revival will die by my hand

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Cowcaster posted:

ut2k4's onslaught was the herald of arena shooters transitioning into aping battlefields and calladoodies with its capture points and vehicles and anyone attempting its revival will die by my hand

I understand this take but I still had tons of fun with the mode. You didn't enjoy slicing dudes in half with that car?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i had fun winning matches while using nothing but the shield gun, who cares what that dipshit thought was fun

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
While I like myself some UT, I'd like to interject with a hearty Shazbot!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Disposable Scud posted:

I understand this take but I still had tons of fun with the mode. You didn't enjoy slicing dudes in half with that car?

PANCAKE

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
It's pretty easy to revive that style of arena shooters, just look at Quake Champions and don't do it like that

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
RIP the UT Epic abandoned for Fortnite money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baller Time posted:

It's pretty easy to revive that style of arena shooters, just look at Quake Champions and don't do it like that

its amazing they were like what if we took the skill based shooter and tacked on random health and abilities to it