Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A pandemic is the best time to become a frequent flier. Maybe airlines should be supplying those noise cancelling earphones. :shrug:

Edit: Terrible snipe. Here, have a relationshit:

My (m26) gf (f25) has been losing her own friends and only hanging out with mine

quote:

My gf of a little over a year has had some falling outs with her high school friends (who were her closest until recently) in the last year. These falling-outs aren't due to arguments or drama, just due to distance and life getting in the way. However, this has led to her hanging with her own friends less and hanging with me and my friends more. My friends consist of a few different groups, one made up of girls, the others made up of guys.

This hasn't been an issue for me, except now it makes it hard for me to hang with those friends without her. If I want to go out or do something with these friends she asks if she can come because she's friends with them too. Some of these are people I've known for years prior to dating her who have become her friends recently because we're dating. Sometimes I say no or want to but it makes me feel bad because there are times when it leaves her to sit at home by herself while I'm out with people. It sort of makes me feel like I can't hang out with anyone without including my gf.

What worries me the most is if we ever end up breaking up my best girl-friend told me she'd obviously choose me since we've been friends for a couple of years prior to her meeting my current gf. The group of girl-friends that I have are through this best friend, so it stands to reason my gf would lose the group.

I'm not sure if I'm venting or asking for advice, but what can I do to help this situation? Everyone loves her and likes hanging out with her and kInow couples hang out a lot, but I feel like she should be able to make plans that don't involve me and vice versa. Thanks for reading.

Tl;dr my gf doesn't have many friends to hang out with and not mostly hangs with me and my friends and I'm worried she won't have her own life going forward.

Edit: I want to mention this is also something she has complained about. Even cried about. She knows she doesn't have many friends of her own now and I've been very supportive with it. Shouldn't people have friends of their own and not just "couple friends?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
babies deserve to exist in spaces as well. no one said society was for adults-only and parents and their children shouldn't have to cloister at home for your own comfort

sometimes, parents with small children need to travel, and the baby comes as well. it's just a thing to cope with as part of traveling, like the fact you're gonna be inhaling everyone's farts while in that metal tube.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

therobit posted:

It is a pretty dismissive thing to do. My father in law sometimes turns his cochlear implant off and turns his back when he gets really angry at the person who is speaking, and it seems like about the rudest thing you could do. The hearing person’s equivalent would be plugging your ears and saying “La la la I’m not listening!”

Sometimes when I was out with a group of people having drinks I would get tired of the music in the bar so I'd just start playing my own music on my phone and mute the microphone. My hearing implant/aids are connected to my phone so I can directly stream music to them or control volume/settings. Or I'd just mute everything and chill in silence. If someone starts talking to me I'd turn the mic back on though.

I've never turned them off while arguing with anyone, I think that's kind of a bitch move.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A pandemic is the best time to become a frequent flier. Maybe airlines should be supplying those noise cancelling earphones. :shrug:

Edit: Terrible snipe. Here, have a relationshit:

My (m26) gf (f25) has been losing her own friends and only hanging out with mine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Steal a page from The Fifth Element and just anesthetize all the passengers before takeoff

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

Steal a page from The Fifth Element and just anesthetize all the passengers before takeoff

Would unironically love that. Throw me in a coffin and wake me up when we get there.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
idk if this has been posted already because i jump around:

quote:

Dear Prudence,

How can you tell when you’re being justifiably stubborn and when you’re just making things worse?

My 20-year-old sister has been uninvited to my wedding after she went to my fiancée’s bachelorette party, announced she had a special surprise guest, and then wheeled in a skeleton dressed up in a “sister of the bride” T-shirt. My fiancée’s younger sister died when she was 16.

I am also not talking to my sister right now. I don’t know what you could even say. She has never liked my fiancée, but I still can’t believe she did something so theatrically cruel. My family all want me to back down. “She overstepped, but it was just a joke. You know she likes to be edgy. She’s devastated. C’mon, she’s a dumb kid and it didn’t mean anything. She’s very sorry and just wants to get back to normal.” The only person I haven’t heard from is my sister, other than her telling me to “get over it, it wasn’t like it was ‘dead sister’s’ ACTUAL skeleton.”

I have stood firm. Probably for the first time in my life. This was such an indescribably cruel thing to do (to anyone! whether I loved them or not) that I can’t just sweep it under the rug. So now my side of the family (parents, brother, aunts, and cousins) aren’t coming to the wedding. Which is fine. They can get a bunch of skeletons and hold their own. I don’t care. The thing is that at this point, even my fiancée wants me to just give in to keep the peace. She says that it’s not worth causing so much disruption over a stupid prank that went wrong. Except it wasn’t a prank! No one would consider that funny and genuinely expect people to laugh.

I’m just not sure what to do. My fiancée was the one injured by this, and she wants me to stop (although her parents know what happened and were furious, so I don’t know how they’d react if my sister—a bridesmaid—smirked her way down the aisle the day of). I feel like I’m right, but no one else seems to agree. And no one is even trying to make my sister apologize! I feel that it’s so clear she’s the one in the wrong, but at this point all the blame is on me. I have started to wonder if I’m really the one in the wrong here by not letting it go?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

I would also unironically love this, until then I just have to make the best of things knowing that DICAP (dramamine is cheap and plentiful)

skeleton sister I believe was posted earlier because I remember the line "They can get a bunch of skeletons and hold their own" which I hope they do when letter-writer correctly chooses to disinvite and never speak to them again

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for being angry at my BIL when my daughter peed on him?

quote:

I'm dyslexic and on mobile

Info: I love my BIL his funny and great to be around but his one infuriating trait is that because he owns a works in daycare he acts like he knows everything about children. Now my daughter is in the middle of potty training and she's almost got it done. Were at the stage were she is wearing normal underwear during the day, however my daughter isn't talking yet so we have to wait for her body gestures.

Now what happened.

BIL and SIL came over for BBQ on Australia Day. The kids, BIL and husband are playing( SIL and I were cooking) and, BIL has my daughter on his shoulders then my daughter starts gesturing

my husband says "I think she needs to go toilet"

BIL replies that "she probably want me to go fast"

husband "no she needs to go"

BIL "trust me I work with children I know what I'm doing" (his god dam catchphrase)

Husband "well I'm her dad and I say she needs the bathroom"

BIL "you don't have to.." my daughter pees on him.

Now husband laughing, daughter is scream and I'm pissed. Husband take daughter to go charged and I just taught into BIL. I don't remember what exactly but I do remember saying that I'm sick for him think he knows what best for my child and just because he works with children doesn't mean he knows how to parent children. (SIL and BIL are childfree but choice). Husband agrees with me and is on my side (but his always on my side) SIL agrees that he overstepped but I overreacted.

So AITA

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If the baby has a ticket it can fly. That’s how planes work. 🤷🏼‍♂️

All the infrequent fliers without noise canceling headphones are just angry because they didn’t plan ahead and get noise canceling headphones and a xanax prescription like they should. Get on the flight, headphones on, mask on, neck pillow on, xanax in belly.

The “being on the plane or in the airport” part is the worst part of the air travel* and if you allow yourself to experience it or remember it or even know there is a baby in the same plane as you, you are an amateur and you haven’t properly prepared.

*the only good part of air travel is when you leave the airport at your destination
Good point. The people not abusing prescription narcotics are the real assholes.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

therobit posted:

Wait until you learn about anthropology. And political science. Oh and economics. Basically if it’s in the school of social sciences it’s gonna be a downer.

I work with academics who teach international studies, and the ones who teach about the environment literally have had to start thinking about how to teach the subject without causing depression in their students lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I work with academics who teach international studies, and the ones who teach about the environment literally have had to start thinking about how to teach the subject without causing depression in their students lol

I did international studies because I thought I wanted to work for the state dept

lol, lmao

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

haveblue posted:

A non-trivial number of people would die. General anesthesia is inherently risky with a lower threshold of safety than people realize, especially with an effectively random group of people whose medical history is unavailable.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

idk if this has been posted already because i jump around:

It was in fact already posted but I'll take this opportunity to share the best responses proposed by this thread (sorry goons who came up with these I can't remember your names)

-Ship his family an adult-size skeleton wearing a shirt that says "your relationship with your son"

-Also ship his family a child-size skeleton with a shirt that says "any possibility of a relationship with your grandchildren"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This family's funerals are gonna be lit

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Good point. The people not abusing prescription narcotics are the real assholes.

Not abusing prescription narcotics or buying noise cancelling headphones that cost more than a domestic ticket.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't fly

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
r/relationships: daughter is scream and I'm pissed

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The_Franz posted:

Not abusing prescription narcotics or buying noise cancelling headphones that cost more than a domestic ticket.
You can get cheap noise-cancelling headphones if you don't insist on Bose or Apple. Also, Xanax is a sleep med, and a doctor prescribing it to help sleep on a long flight is exactly the kind of thing it is good for. It's not like you take one Xanax and turn into Jordan Peterson.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lol at everyone defending kids screaming and making GBS threads themselves on flights, everyone is so quick to defend them but when I do it the plane makes an emergency landing and I have to outrun a bunch of cops. Bullshit double standards

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Danaru posted:

Lol at everyone defending kids screaming and making GBS threads themselves on flights, everyone is so quick to defend them but when I do it the plane makes an emergency landing and I have to outrun a bunch of cops. Bullshit double standards

These "children" are disruptive leeches on our society and I won't stand for it. Ageism is what it is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A non-trivial number of people would die. General anesthesia is inherently risky with a lower threshold of safety than people realize, especially with an effectively random group of people whose medical history is unavailable.

You mean there's a chance I won't have to deal with the destination airport!?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

haveblue posted:

Trips like this take longer than you think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Khizan posted:

DAD!

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for not wanting to name my (33M) son Jong-hyun?

quote:

My wife (32F) and I are expecting our first bundle of joy. We're absolutely thrilled. I personally can't wait to be a dad. The due date is April 21st. We're from Ireland.

My wife has been a huge fan of the South Korean boy band Shinee since 2008. Their music apparently got her through a lot of tough times. Jong-hyun was a member of this group; he unfortunately passed away in 2017. From what I've read online about him he seems to have been an amazing guy. My wife was devastated when she found out about his death and told me that when we'll have a kid and if it's a boy she's going to name him Jong-hyun in his honor. At the time I didn't really take her seriously.

The time has come though and she's VERY serious about it. She wasn't joking. She even picked out the meaning 'cause it actually depends on the Chinese (Hanja) characters you use: 宗 (jong) - lineage, ancestry; ancestor, clan & 賢 (hyeon) - virtuous, worthy, good; able. She speaks Korean, I don't.

I love how the name sounds, the nickname Jjong and the meaning but the issue is we're both 100% White (I'm literally blond with green eyes and she's ginger with blue eyes + fair skin... legit as White as they come). I told her that I don't think this is appropriate because we have no Korean blood in us and she said that's not a problem since it's cultural appreciation and not appropriation. She told me she doesn't wanna compromise when it comes to the first name and I can just pick whatever middle name I want and she's going to be okay with it. She said that this name means too much for her to give up on it (her favorite singer / artist, born in the same year as her, our son is gonna be born in the same month as him, etc.).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are you telling me crazy purple knockout gas isn't a real thing?! Entertainment has been lying to me for years...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Are you telling me crazy purple knockout gas isn't a real thing?! Entertainment has been lying to me for years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

quote:

Doctor Andrei Seltsovsky, Moscow's health committee chairman, announced that all but one of the hostages killed in the raid had died from the effects of the unknown gas rather than from gunshot wounds.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sisal Two-Step posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556ubrG-85k

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Khizan posted:

It's eternity in there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

They also pumped that building with it for 90 minutes unsupervised.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well the alternative is you arrive at your destination and claw your eyes out while screaming about how long the flight was

Khizan posted:

poo poo I didn't see this post :(

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Just make it a $30 optional fee to hook each seat’s little yellow oxygen mask up to a cylinder of carfentanyl. Same as a 2nd checked bag.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sisal Two-Step posted:

A lifetime of "but your not asian..? Are you?"

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Either get a divorce or call him "J" for short because there is no cure for what she has.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

haveblue posted:

Longer than you think, dad!

E:fb by EVERYbody! Bunch of literate motherfuckers...

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I briefly dated a white woman who had a child she named Alejandro after an ex-boyfriend/love of her life. As you can imagine, Alejandro was Latino. No, not her son. His father was Chinese.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

I briefly dated a white woman who had a child she named Alejandro after an ex-boyfriend/love of her life. As you can imagine, Alejandro was Latino. No, not her son. His father was Chinese.

Second-hand cringe for when the poor half-Chinese kid finally musters the courage to ask why the hell he has a latin name and she says it's after a guy she boned and thinks about.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I knew someone in that situation who went by her middle name exclusively, if only to avoid the conversation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My child's name is 15J • 3/9O= -5E
Pronounced "Joe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Das Boo posted:

My child's name is 15J • 3/9O= -5E
Pronounced "Joe."

Oh, hey, Elon, I should have known you were a goon.