Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Seeing people hopeful that GameFreak of all people might expand or iterate on whatever good ideas are in Arceus is some serious lol

Maybe, but this game clearly expanded and iterated on Sword/Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

no one has ever died from overdosing on mario

Lots of injuries due to excessive arm swings though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe, but this game clearly expanded and iterated on Sword/Shield.

I'd certainly hope so. Sw/Sh was fun at times but it also felt extremely rough even without the obvious corner-cutting "look at all those big pokemon just of screen, no you can't actually look. It's ok I beat them now" stuff.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s wild you can actually see the ceilings when you go into buildings now

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Arceus is fun, but the only pokemon I played before was sword. I dunno, but I like it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

At least try the demo so you can tell if the whole streaming game thing works.
Also the same compilation exists on every other current system so if you have any other way to play it, I would.

We have a four year old Xbox one that I can't get her to play her favorite Sims game on and the switch which she loves. And as far as I could tell it's not available on Xbox. I'm not happy about the streaming either but it seems like that's the only option as of now. Good call on trying the demo first though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just finished Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes.

Honestly this was fine, it wasn't as bad as so many people and outlets were making it out to be. The text adventure stuff was really good too imo. Can't wait to finally start No More Heroes 3 now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bartlebee posted:

We have a four year old Xbox one that I can't get her to play her favorite Sims game on and the switch which she loves. And as far as I could tell it's not available on Xbox. I'm not happy about the streaming either but it seems like that's the only option as of now. Good call on trying the demo first though.

I honestly thought it was on Xbox but now I think about it maybe not lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s on the XBox

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Frankly, retail leaks were not that widespread, especially where you're from, so I don't think I believe you've played it. Everything you're saying sounds directly ripped from out of context Twitter leaks, which are deliberately written to get engagement.

I just don't think you're a credible poster.

I too have never heard of piracy and am completely unaware there's a functional switch emulator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux would never steal

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux would never steal

I just don't think you're a credible poster.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bartlebee posted:

ps2 emulation works pretty well if you're okay with that route

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo should make a game i care about.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo should make a game i care about.

why would nintendo care to please the likes of you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cause i buy kirby games

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you pirate a nintedo game or even break the street date you deserve to be beaten with a flail made of NES controllers

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Cat o NES tails was right fkn there dude wtf

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

no one has ever died from overdosing on mario

Hold onto my beer.

I also got Mario Odyssey today and it’s good poo poo.

I’ve got Super Mario 3D All Stars coming in the mail so I kind of want to table Odyssey until I play the other 3D ones so odyssey doesn’t outshine them and ruin the experience.

Other games on my wish list:
Metroid Dread
Super Mario 3D World
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies

Any reason not to get those?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

cheetah7071 posted:

I too have never heard of piracy and am completely unaware there's a functional switch emulator

Two of them I think.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Cat o NES tails was right fkn there dude wtf

lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My kids watch a switch streamer on YouTube sometimes and when his game crashes they're like "why doesn't ours ever crash like that?" and I say "because this man is a thief and a coward and it's probably because he's British"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Hold onto my beer.

I’ve got Super Mario 3D All Stars coming in the mail so I kind of want to table Odyssey until I play the other 3D ones so odyssey doesn’t outshine them and ruin the experience.

Metroid Dread
Super Mario 3D World
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies

nope, those are some fine games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a Pokémon game without any Pokémon battles seems pretty boring tbqh. i'm with stux on this one

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh it has plenty of Pokemon battles, just much less trainer ones, but the wild ones are tougher.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stux would never steal

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Hold onto my beer.

Metroid Dread
Super Mario 3D World
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies

Metroid dread is amazing and gives me super Metroid vibes. Bought our 5 year old Yoshi's crafted world for her birthday and she's loving co-op with me on easy and holy poo poo it's an amazing looking game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Crafted World is boring to play as an adult, but little kids will love it and the graphics are nice to look at

The rest are great games, full stop

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flavor.flv posted:

Crafted World is boring to play as an adult, but little kids will love it and the graphics are nice to look at

The rest are great games, full stop

Boring in what way? Just curious.

Also does it have Amiibo functionality with the yarn yoshi/Poochie amiibos?

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
Metroid question: curious what everyone is using for controller layout setups on dread.

its pretty lame you have to go to switch system settings>controllers and sensors>change button mapping but the game is so good i'll deal with it. and they let you save presets.

i switch (heh) A & B and X & Y, Zr & Zl.
i slowly changed up buttons as i progressed, and sliding on my right trigger felt right. also feels so right turning into a ball midair.
lock on with L probably felt good due to a lot of GTAV, and the grapple button is Zl with this layout, since you're always stationary while using it, that made sense to me. squeeze both left triggers and fire to grapple.
you rarely need to slide or be a ball while shooting missles, so having all that on the right makes sense.
im one of the weirds who thought super metroid has amazing controls, so that explains the AB XY swap, phase shift replaces where dash was in super. i'll admit countering is awkward and i forget it exists at times.

the only time this layout bugs me is on the map. zoom in/out are inverted, but a minor issue. another downside is the UI doesn't update, so tutorials and stuff will all show the original mapping.

what are you all rockin? open to controller suggestions too, i've been using joycons. i wanted to use a GC controller but it wasn't remappable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just used the default control scheme

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I just used the default control scheme

Same, on pro controller

Don't really see the need to futz with it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm errm normal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Content warning: controversial topic

I'm playing Pokemon Arceus

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

strong 'please onlooker, end our suffering' energy in those eyes ngl

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Playing the Megaman Zero Collection, and wow these are as frustrating as I remember. The first game is stupid hard until you get the elemental chip that matches to the boss, then it becomes laughably easy. Still, I kept dying over and over to the non-elemental bosses.

I'm surprised how old games allowed themselves to be so hard without save-states.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Not to step on any toes, or cause a fuss, but Arceus is really chill and I can't put it down.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ExtraQuiet posted:

Metroid question: curious what everyone is using for controller layout setups on dread.

its pretty lame you have to go to switch system settings>controllers and sensors>change button mapping but the game is so good i'll deal with it. and they let you save presets.

i switch (heh) A & B and X & Y, Zr & Zl.
i slowly changed up buttons as i progressed, and sliding on my right trigger felt right. also feels so right turning into a ball midair.
lock on with L probably felt good due to a lot of GTAV, and the grapple button is Zl with this layout, since you're always stationary while using it, that made sense to me. squeeze both left triggers and fire to grapple.
you rarely need to slide or be a ball while shooting missles, so having all that on the right makes sense.
im one of the weirds who thought super metroid has amazing controls, so that explains the AB XY swap, phase shift replaces where dash was in super. i'll admit countering is awkward and i forget it exists at times.

the only time this layout bugs me is on the map. zoom in/out are inverted, but a minor issue. another downside is the UI doesn't update, so tutorials and stuff will all show the original mapping.

what are you all rockin? open to controller suggestions too, i've been using joycons. i wanted to use a GC controller but it wasn't remappable.

i used the default control scheme but using a controller with buttons on the back which i mapped to clicking the left and right sticks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The collecting/exploring part is what I liked about Pokémon. Arceus seems to be about that. I'm slightly tempted but I also had a pretty poo poo time with Sw/Sh so I don't know.

Finally got to puzzle in Sega Picross that has me stumped. I'll manage. How do you all try to fix an error when it occurs? I start by erasing the line the error is on, then the offending cube, then the offending column or row, then both, and if that didn't work I restart.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Not to step on any toes, or cause a fuss, but Arceus is really chill and I can't put it down.

agreed but also this gimmick sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I pre-ordered Pokemon Arceus because I was excited for it from day one. The preorder was delayed and ended up shipping late and now everyone else is playing Pokemon Arceus and having fun but me.

The moral of the story: just get the digital download or go to the store if you're excited for a new game because if you preorder from Pokemoncenter.com because you want a cute plush they'll let you down like a Geodude thrown from a cliff.