Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BabyRyoga posted:

It isn't really any worse so to speak than actual Celeste, which is a pretty tough game when all is said and done.

Celeste is tough but it still has a modern control scheme, I've found the Mario romhack games to be significantly tougher but maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

BabyRyoga posted:

It isn't really any worse so to speak than actual Celeste, which is a pretty tough game when all is said and done.

From the horse's mouth:

quote:

I did my best to make (at least) the first level approachable for beginners so they could at least enjoy some of this game, but the difficulty ramps dramatically as the hack progresses. This game assumes that you have a strong, fundamental understanding of Kaizo mechanics and if you lack these, this hack may be something you approach at a later point in time. I would consider beating Summit ("any%") a Kaizo: Intermediate hack, but going for a full 100% completion (all berries, all hearts, all chapters) would be Kaizo: Expert.

The last warning I'll mention (in regards to the hack's difficulty and gameplay) is that this hack is incredibly rough on the hands. Especially when playing on a standard SNES controller, your hands will hurt more quickly than playing a typical Kaizo hack due to the custom mechanics this hack features. I would recommend taking breaks when playing through this, both to save your hands and to enjoy the experience more. Getting stuck on sections when your hands hurt or when something is unclear is a good time to stop.

Are they seriously overselling the difficulty?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1871620/Covid_Simulator/

quote:

COVID SIMULATOR is an outbreak simulation that visualizes how quickly Covid-19 spreads, becoming a disaster. The game is an open sandbox where you can add (or remove) Covid mandates and see what happens! Create your workplace, enact your mandates, and roll the dice with your workers.

quote:

I am NOT a statistician or a virologist. I am a game developer. This simulator/visualization appears to have similar outcomes to real world results - however it will likely never be real world accurate. It is only a game, meant to demonstrate the dangers of unchecked Covid-19 spread. Within the game files is a stat sheet which can be edited if you would like to change the outcomes/results! If you ARE a statistician or a virologist, please contact me - I would LOVE to expand the accuracy of this game.

quote:

In Covid-19 Simulator you can:
Play in a sandbox environment to experiment with
Create a procedural generated work spaces which you can adjust
Create your OWN workplace with the level editor
Name and track your workers
Adjust the number of employees, and their work schedules
Adjust infection rates, mask adoption, and vaccination rates
Manually add/remove masks of different varieties, and give vaccinations
Adjust the strength of the Covid variant
Adopt mask mandates, and vaccine mandates
Hire/Fire Employees
Encourage Pro/Anti Vaccine behavior
Give 'alternative medicine' treatments
Speed up or slow down time to view the results
View and save charts as PNG or CSV, showing spread over time
Integrate with Twitch to let your viewers be in the game!

Genuinely tempted because it's about as expensive as Vampire Survivors is

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goon project as well!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goon-made - Coldrice has regularly posted updates in the cspam COVID thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Goon project as well!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Goon-made - Coldrice has regularly posted updates in the cspam COVID thread

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thoom posted:

From the horse's mouth:

Are they seriously overselling the difficulty?

It seems like it does really start to ramp up later in the game.

Something that is Kaizo: Intermediate is probably doable by anyone, but you might struggle with some trial and error on figuring out how to do certain things from a mechanical perspective if you've never finished a Kaizo: Intermediate hack before. Something that is Kaizo: Expert on the other hand could fit into a wide variety of difficulties, but you'll probably come across something that completely blocks your progress unless you are very familiar with how everything in SMW controls.

That being said, i'm pretty sure anyone who has finished the A/B/C sides in vanilla Celeste can at least complete the any% route of this (from what i've seen, haven't had a chance to flash it on to my cart yet).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I managed everything in Celeste short of the golden strawberries, so I'll give it a shot later on. I don't know much about kaizo tricks other than that I'm bad at shell jumps, so we'll see how that goes.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thoom posted:

I managed everything in Celeste short of the golden strawberries, so I'll give it a shot later on. I don't know much about kaizo tricks other than that I'm bad at shell jumps, so we'll see how that goes.

The most important thing you need to know about movement in Kaizo is that there is a profound difference between landing on something while holding jump, and pushing jump immediately after landing on something. There usually tends to be a lot of instances where you will hold jump (and also usually run), release it for a few frames as you land, then push it again, which is called a "regrab".

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

BabyRyoga posted:

The most important thing you need to know about movement in Kaizo is that there is a profound difference between landing on something while holding jump, and pushing jump immediately after landing on something. There usually tends to be a lot of instances where you will hold jump (and also usually run), release it for a few frames as you land, then push it again, which is called a "regrab".

That's useful to know, thanks!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296360/Archvale/

This game is like catnip for me, pixel art bullet hell... zelda?

I don't know if it will suddenly start to suck later but the intro charmed me completely

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

victrix posted:

I don't know if it will suddenly start to suck later but the intro charmed me completely

It's loving fantastic. I played it a little out of order after hitting some difficult patches so when I had to do clean up I was a bit OP but it's really charming and challenging.

I didn't beat the final boss because it comes in two stages and the first one took everything I had though. I just kind of left it. But man is this game fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

victrix posted:

It gets quite a bit harder at the end, with the final boss being way too big a difficulty jump, but its good.

On game pass for those fence sitting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I didn't beat the final boss because it comes in two stages and the first one took everything I had though. I just kind of left it. But man is this game fun.

Friend, it has 3 stages

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I've tried to play Archvale a couple times on Game Pass, but it's buggy to the point of unplayable with my Xbox controller. Some buttons just don't work, and occasionally it will freak out and stop accepting right stick input to aim. A pity, because I really liked the concept.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Barudak posted:

Friend, it has 3 stages

drat. I beat every one of those challenge stages but that first boss was all I could handle.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Barudak posted:

It gets quite a bit harder at the end, with the final boss being way too big a difficulty jump, but its good.

On game pass for those fence sitting.

Friend, it has 3 stages

I don't know how it plays out on Normal, but on Hard the entire game turns very rough about halfway through. The death and respawn cycle is fast enough and not very punishing that it doesn't get too annoying, just expect to die dozens of times potentially if you play on hard.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

haldolium posted:

Hidden Deep came out in EA today

brief first impressions:

It has good atmosphere and an interesting setup, the rotoscope movement feels pretty nice until I felt down 3 meters and died in a puddle of approx. 10L of blood. Unfortunately the developer is not aware of what year it is and I was greeted with a disturbing information about resolution

and it is true, I can't read the text in native resolution. So thats just the start, but the actual game? I managed to softlock myself in the tutorial area getting past an enemy to grab some ammo (I guess, couldn't read the text) in a dead end but could not go back the same way for some reason. Apparently when skipping over the "mostly positive" reviews thats currently just one of many ways to softlock the game. IDK if their "Early Access" means they're actually going to turn this into a good game, or if it's just a payed open beta and will release with just more content upon broken design choices. Currently I would not recommend it and just wait until it grows some more... or doesn't.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nice Fresh Release / Terrible Awful Games crossover trying to search for this in client.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147550/Not_For_Broadcast/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256870480/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643131986

quote:

Not For Broadcast is a darkly comedic game of televised chaos that lets you pick what you want to see on TV, no matter what anybody else wants. Egotistical celebrities, dishonest politicians, and strange sponsors clash on the airwaves. You’re here to ensure that the show goes on uninterrupted.

Cut between multiple camera feeds, tweak the headlines, bleep the foul language, all with just moments to spare on a live broadcast! Whether you toe the party line or stir up a scandal is your choice, so long as you can hold the audience’s fickle attention.

Not For Broadcast is a very unique-looking FMV-style game in which you are a TV producer/editor choosing the shots, censoring, and otherwise affecting a live TV stream. Seems to take place in some kind of authoritarian system and has an overarching story with non-TV elements as well. Large download at over 40 gigs due to all the video, has Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

I'm definitely playing this one. Love the concept.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I saw this Mega-Man X with a gimmick game mentioned in the mega man thread and it looks neat:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1514380/COGEN_Sword_of_Rewind__COGEN/

quote:

Defy Death by Rewinding Time!
Any hit you take is a death sentence in this side-scrolling 2D action game. But fear not! You may lack the HP to weather a beating, but you've got the Ouroboros System on your side. This futuristic technology kicks in the instant death embraces you and allows you to rewind up to 3 seconds of time. Slip up and wish you could take it back? Want to play around and experiment? Easy, just rewind the clock! Hone your skills through trial and error, and triumph over diabolical traps and legions of fearsome foes!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Play posted:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256870480/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643131986

Not For Broadcast is a very unique-looking FMV-style game in which you are a TV producer/editor choosing the shots, censoring, and otherwise affecting a live TV stream. Seems to take place in some kind of authoritarian system and has an overarching story with non-TV elements as well. Large download at over 40 gigs due to all the video, has Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

can confirm, this game loving rules.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1855240/PRINCESS/

I saw this come up on my Steam recommendeds and seeing as at the time literally nobody had actually played it and it looked interesting (weird af), I picked it up. Even though it's RPGMaker and usually that tempers my expectations for plasma-hot garbage, I've ended up putting like 30 hours into this game and still haven't made that much progress.

It has some old fashioned simon's quest-level game design where just about everything is super cryptic, but this makes figuring out the strange logic going on in the game to be a bit more satisfying too. Pretty much all progress is secret based but with a few limited hints about what's going on, so you get stuck constantly but eventually can discern what's meant to be done based off of ingame lore / NPC hints and go from there.

Anecdotal exception - there is a bonus boss hidden in a dungeon which is itself hidden in a single tile that you need to have a special VIS boosting item to interact with, at the end of a very long featureless corridor, down a hatch you need to equip a specific necklace to see/enter, which contains a boss that is immune to all of your attacks. In order to damage it, you need to equip an item that lets you talk to ghosts, find a specific ghost who wants 99 zombie bones, give the bones to the ghost, which then gives you the 'eclipse' necklace, which thematically gives you the vaguest suggestion that if you have it equipped you will be able to do damage to the boss which is sun themed. i liked that for some reason

Also distinctly has the aesthetics of those Indie DOS games you'd get on one of those '100 FREE games!' CD samplers that they'd pack 20 hours of AOL for free in with, which isn't an art style you commonly see anymore much less deliberately.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
NEEDY STREAMER OVERLOAD came out about a week ago and I've been hearing some positive buzz about it (have not yet played it myself).

Manage a cute streamer girl!

Who has some real life issues.

Apparently some of the endings get pretty dark. Like Doki Doki Literature Club dark. It says something that like half the Steam reviews are like "I can fix her"

(Probably obviously, you should consider there to be a trigger warning here about suicidal thoughts, self harm, etc when approaching this game)

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 27, 2022

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Apparently some of the endings get pretty dark. Like Doki Doki Literature Club dark. It says something that like half the Steam reviews are like "I can fix her"

it's less of a streaming simulator and more of a "try and keep your mid-nervous-breakdown friend from just completely destroying their life" simulator. definitely an interesting experience, but one that carries a massive amount of content warnings with it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I didn't really like the tone although I only played for a little bit. I dislike streamers and the attention-starved as much as anyone but definitely felt some weird misogyny there. Maybe the further you go that changes, I don't know.

oldskool posted:

can confirm, this game loving rules.

Now that I've played it, I can say that this is incredibly true. Not For Broadcast rules, it's so creative and unique, never played anything remotely like it. Just love how they've put it all together with fun gameplay, interesting multi-layered story, and really amusing performances by the actors.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I haven't kept up with the thread and this title hit Steam in December sooooo, not so fresh but:

https://poncle.itch.io/vampire-survivors

Vampire Survivors is a rogue-like with no button mashing, just directional controls. It's super addictive for the first few hours. Try it or buy it at the link above.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I haven't kept up with the thread and this title hit Steam in December sooooo, not so fresh but:

https://poncle.itch.io/vampire-survivors

Vampire Survivors is a rogue-like with no button mashing, just directional controls. It's super addictive for the first few hours. Try it or buy it at the link above.

You're a page or two too late, but you're right that it's fun: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vampire Survivors is one of the top selling games on Steam right now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hello Sailor posted:

You're a page or two too late, but you're right that it's fun: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

Yeah I kind of figured. A friend bought it for me on a lark and I just love the hell out of it.

I was not reading forums for a month or two busy with work.

Anyways, game's still good y'all. Sorry for necro.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sall good we love games here even previously mentioned ones, it happens

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Play posted:

Now that I've played it, I can say that this is incredibly true. Not For Broadcast rules, it's so creative and unique, never played anything remotely like it. Just love how they've put it all together with fun gameplay, interesting multi-layered story, and really amusing performances by the actors.

25% off on Steam right now to celebrate 1.0 release! (also was in September 2021 humble bundle if you're like me and signed up for that ages ago & just keep paying for it without paying attention to it)

might make a thread for it later...can't imagine it has one, which is a shame tbh

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/liquidream/status/1487395307805712386?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

oldskool posted:

25% off on Steam right now to celebrate 1.0 release! (also was in September 2021 humble bundle if you're like me and signed up for that ages ago & just keep paying for it without paying attention to it)

might make a thread for it later...can't imagine it has one, which is a shame tbh

Do it! Even if it's just us. More people should play that game.

This one's good too! The controls can be a little awkward sometimes, and the endless healing function is interesting to say the least, but it's fun game that looks amazing with a nice 32 bit feel. Fun platforming, level navigation and a nice variety of enemies.

Play fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 30, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Really gotta second Not For Broadcast being an excellent experience. Got it this weekend and binged the whole thing, and after watching some people streaming it I realize that like, there's so much stuff you don't even see on the first playthrough. If you're on the fence, do it, game is great.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Holy poo poo, this is the coolest thing. Loved Dune 2 on Amiga.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1600370/Not_Tonight_2/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256846177/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642505329

quote:

Immigration Enforcement Case #112: You are under arrest. Unless your friends can cross a broken America, retrieve your identifying documents and stay out of trouble... this is the end of the American dream for you.
Stories written by POCs, beta only right now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1514380/COGEN_Sword_of_Rewind__COGEN/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256856409/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1636181883

quote:

Rewind, rethink, redo. COGEN is a brand-new kind of 2D action game where there's no time for death.
Mixed reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1736550/Deflector/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853904/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643301517

quote:

Deflector is a high-octane bullet hell roguelite set in a deadly world. Upgrade your characters with the DNA you find, evolve them further during your runs and explore the farthest reaches of this microcosm… or die trying.
Early access, Mostly Positive reviews.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/galactic-civilizations-iv

quote:

As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, you must seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. There are thousands of worlds to colonize and dozens of civilizations - both old and new - to encounter.
Early Access, seems to be Epic store only.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 30, 2022

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Play posted:

I've been playing this and it's pretty good.

A lot longer than I was expecting too. After producing an episode (each one is 20-40 minutes) you can go back to check the rushes and see what bits of story you might have missed in the mayhem of production, as well as go through and watch all the commercials. I think when I'm done playing through once, taking into account the time I've spent scrubbing footage for missed scenes, I'll have spent about ten hours playing, and it seems like there are some wildly different story branches that are gated behind choices you make during production and the interstitial cyoa segments, so god knows how long you could spend exploring all the paths before even touching the other game modes. I wasn't expecting this much content in a $18 fmv game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

I've been playing this and it's pretty good.

A lot longer than I was expecting too. After producing an episode (each one is 20-40 minutes) you can go back to check the rushes and see what bits of story you might have missed in the mayhem of production, as well as go through and watch all the commercials. I think when I'm done playing through once, taking into account the time I've spent scrubbing footage for missed scenes, I'll have spent about ten hours playing, and it seems like there are some wildly different story branches that are gated behind choices you make during production and the interstitial cyoa segments, so god knows how long you could spend exploring all the paths before even touching the other game modes. I wasn't expecting this much content in a $18 fmv game.

Absolutely. Honestly the first time I finished a level and it had the ads to watch and the rushes and also just watching how you did in the broadcast itself, I was like ehhhh I won't be wasting time on that

By the third episode I was watching ever single thing to make sure I didn't miss anything because they are genuinely amusing. And yeah the story can change quite a lot depending on certain choices. Not sure I'll play it a second time but it is genuinely adaptive to choices.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Play posted:

Absolutely. Honestly the first time I finished a level and it had the ads to watch and the rushes and also just watching how you did in the broadcast itself, I was like ehhhh I won't be wasting time on that

By the third episode I was watching ever single thing to make sure I didn't miss anything because they are genuinely amusing. And yeah the story can change quite a lot depending on certain choices. Not sure I'll play it a second time but it is genuinely adaptive to choices.

According to Wikipedia, the game has just shy of 43 hours of footage in it, which seems insane to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mysterious frankie posted:

According to Wikipedia, the game has just shy of 43 hours of footage in it, which seems insane to me.

To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the same footage with four camera angles, which would stretch that out quite a bit.