Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

BraveUlysses posted:

looks great! are those the stock wheels they're selling them with? or some winter wheels?

i just hit 1k miles in my new brz so i'm going to record and post a video of me doing donuts this weekend

They're stock. I live in Mississippi - there's no reason for winter wheels/tires here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

big trivia FAIL posted:

Me too, that's why we went with it instead of the BRZ. Not on MSRP, but usual dealer fee BS. We got it for right at 33 out the door.

Here's a daylight pic:

This is gorgeous. Congrats.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^^That is a nice blue

Apparently the order book for the new Z got posted online; I'm shocked they're apparently actually offering it with the blue interior as seen on their site:

Would definitely get blue on blue if I could

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Those tuning fork wheels on the 86 are really making me wish Toyota put a high revving Yamaha in there.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Have been waiting a long time for Kia to finally announce pricing for the EV6 we wanted to replace my old '12 Optima with for my wife whenever she finally has to commute again, but oof $52k for the AWD minus hoever much of the tax rebate we'd qualify for. That's a tough sell. May check out a Mach-E at some point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kunabomber posted:

:w00t:

It only took 4 months!

Awesome! I can't wait to hear more about it, I'm very eager to know what you like and don't like once you get it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

davebo posted:

Have been waiting a long time for Kia to finally announce pricing for the EV6 we wanted to replace my old '12 Optima with for my wife whenever she finally has to commute again, but oof $52k for the AWD minus hoever much of the tax rebate we'd qualify for. That's a tough sell. May check out a Mach-E at some point.

Do you really need AWD? I think the sweet spot is the RWD Wind for like 48k before tax credits.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

New Zealand isn't part of anything, really, so it can't be part of Australia either

I feel sorry for Greenland, must have sunk.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Jack B Nimble posted:

Awesome! I can't wait to hear more about it, I'm very eager to know what you like and don't like once you get it.

I’ve had a no option XL hybrid for 550 miles now and I love it. I can fit a pallet in the bed, my daughters car seat fits well, it drives well in the snow, and even in the single digits on short trips, I get close to the EPA mileage. It’s far quieter than I expected, and doesn’t feel like a 20k vehicle at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

no lube so what posted:

Those tuning fork wheels on the 86 are really making me wish Toyota put a high revving Yamaha in there.

They're making me wish they put any other set of wheels on it. look like some tyre shop pot metal specials.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

LightRailTycoon posted:

I’ve had a no option XL hybrid for 550 miles now and I love it. I can fit a pallet in the bed, my daughters car seat fits well, it drives well in the snow, and even in the single digits on short trips, I get close to the EPA mileage. It’s far quieter than I expected, and doesn’t feel like a 20k vehicle at all.

I’m worried that it doesn’t have enough pep. It’s barely got more power than my fusion hybrid that can hardly get out of its own way, and the Mav is heavier.

Thoughts?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Laserface posted:

They're making me wish they put any other set of wheels on it. look like some tyre shop pot metal specials.

nah, they're fine, maybe even good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hopefully ford has the balls to sell a road car with the wing.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

LibCrusher posted:

I’m worried that it doesn’t have enough pep. It’s barely got more power than my fusion hybrid that can hardly get out of its own way, and the Mav is heavier.

Thoughts?

Its winter in Maine, so I haven't had a chance to really see what it can do, but on highway merges, it gets the job done. I haven't driven it with a serious trailer or load in the bed yet.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Do you really need AWD? I think the sweet spot is the RWD Wind for like 48k before tax credits.

Yeah I have a Stinger that's rwd and I'd like at least one of our cars to be able to get up my parents' driveway in the mountains. Plus if we were paying that much for an EV I'd rather pay a bit more to get that 4.6s 0-60 so the fun of it. The mach-e looks decent too though and there's plenty of time to decide. Despite being almost 10 years old the optima only has 80k on it so no rush.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LightRailTycoon posted:

I'm really intrigued by the Maverick. I drive a 3rd gen Tacoma SR5 now with RWD, and the bed is mostly to give me a place to transport gross bikes and yard poo poo I need to haul around. I like the size of the Maverick but I'm tall (6'3) and it seems smaller than the Taco--how's leg room in the front and does it severely affect leg room for the rear seats?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

LightRailTycoon posted:

It’s far quieter than I expected

:yeshaha:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

davebo posted:

Yeah I have a Stinger that's rwd and I'd like at least one of our cars to be able to get up my parents' driveway in the mountains. Plus if we were paying that much for an EV I'd rather pay a bit more to get that 4.6s 0-60 so the fun of it. The mach-e looks decent too though and there's plenty of time to decide. Despite being almost 10 years old the optima only has 80k on it so no rush.

If you are considering the Mach-E at least limit yourself to the Mach-E GT :getin:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Laserface posted:

Agreed, they remind me of the refresh FoST wheels which also looked sort of like tacky aftermarket add ons.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

LeeMajors posted:

I'm really intrigued by the Maverick. I drive a 3rd gen Tacoma SR5 now with RWD, and the bed is mostly to give me a place to transport gross bikes and yard poo poo I need to haul around. I like the size of the Maverick but I'm tall (6'3) and it seems smaller than the Taco--how's leg room in the front and does it severely affect leg room for the rear seats?

I'm 6', and I usually need to have my seat all the way back in other vehicles. In the Maverick, I can't put it all the way back, my legs won't comfortably reach the pedals. I also have miles of headroom. My understanding is the unibody uses much less volume, leaving more interior space compared to body-on-frame. Every adult that's ridden in the back hasn't complained.

My wife has a Honda fit, which we love, but when you drive it, the wind noise, vibration and road noise tells you exactly how much sound deadening they left out to hit $16k and 40mpg. It doesn't feel like that in the Maverick, even my XL.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

It's unibody construction so there's more room inside compared to outward appearance. It actually has more interior space by volume than the Ford Ranger.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Maverick owns so much it's sold out lmao

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

^^That is a nice blue

Apparently the order book for the new Z got posted online; I'm shocked they're apparently actually offering it with the blue interior as seen on their site:

Would definitely get blue on blue if I could

I’m going to assume that interior option will not be very common. It seems like red interiors are the most popular for sportier cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The blue interior is good as gently caress though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Inner Light posted:

If you are considering the Mach-E at least limit yourself to the Mach-E GT :getin:

I don't think my wife wants to pay that much money to go faster than my car. When she had to rent a car in Denver last year she got stuck with a V8 Challenger and hated how fast it was. Although her concept of too fast is basically tied to how loud a car is, so an EV might not seem as fast.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kunabomber posted:

It's unibody construction so there's more room inside compared to outward appearance. It actually has more interior space by volume than the Ford Ranger.

That’s pretty intriguing. I’ll probably give it a look in a year or two once it’s out and they work out some kinks. I’ve been pretty horny for Toyota my whole life but maverick really hits the sweet spot in truck size, utility and efficiency that id really want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BrownieVK posted:

like everything is sold out right now

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

BrownieVK posted:

I heard Ford is not taking Maverick orders until 2023.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any new "good" estimates on when the car supply chain stuff will work its way out? Is at some point in 2022 still a reasonable goal?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any new "good" estimates on when the car supply chain stuff will work its way out? Is at some point in 2022 still a reasonable goal?

The coverage that I've seen indicates that we're looking at 2nd half 2023 for the car market to get back to a more balanced situation, which might mean that you start to be able to find deals on cars in 2024.

https://www.businessinsider.com/will-used-car-prices-drop-2023-chip-shortage-2021-10

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

The coverage that I've seen indicates that we're looking at 2nd half 2023 for the car market to get back to a more balanced situation, which might mean that you start to be able to find deals on cars in 2024.

https://www.businessinsider.com/will-used-car-prices-drop-2023-chip-shortage-2021-10

Gotcha. The car that's up for replacement next for us will be 7 years old in 2023. Hopefully things get better then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can still buy a car as long as you don't care about lead time or getting a deal

with some exceptions

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're making a poo poo ton of profit per car, so things aren't likely to go back to the way they were.

There's no reason to have lots full of cars they have to discount at the end of the year when it's clear people will pay a lot more if they think a new car is harder to get.

Ford and GM both have their own used program now, as well, which is going to be compensation for the dealers not having a pile of new cars to sell at cost.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My armchair expert guess would also be late next year or even 2024.

At this point, I imagine most people have gotten their "home offices" setup with laptops and mics/webcams. So that should reduce demand on one front. Also Taiwan, IIRC, is like "the last step" in the semiconductor supply chain globally and companies have now discovered having a singular bottleneck is bad and are building more factories in more countries.

edit; But yes also the cynic in me says why would dealerships stop with the insane markups when there's clearly no shortage of idiots willing to pay

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 31, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's the "trees would be way more efficient if they were all shorter" problem. Car companies make their margin on cars sold, not on markups and it only takes one dealership to go "I can get more cars out of the manufacturer if I sell more of them" to go back to the way things were. The issue really is supply in this case.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Has there been any rumor of a Toyota Sienna Prime? I'm looking at selling a car that I barely use during these inflated prices, and hoping to pick up a hybrid Minivan around the end of 2023 / first half of 2024, and I'm more inclined to trust Toyota not to gently caress it up compared to Chrysler.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I heard Ford is not taking Maverick orders until 2023.

sounds about right. Someone did the math on Bronco's vs. Production numbers and for them _just to clear stated reservation numbers_ would take until early 2023. Clearing Day 1 reservation holders is Arpil 2022. Guessing Maverick is in much the same or worse boat.

In a normal( ??) time you'd have them opening more factories or some poo poo but now it sounds like production constraints are upstream of Ford.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Has there been any rumor of a Toyota Sienna Prime? I'm looking at selling a car that I barely use during these inflated prices, and hoping to pick up a hybrid Minivan around the end of 2023 / first half of 2024, and I'm more inclined to trust Toyota not to gently caress it up compared to Chrysler.

the sienna is already a hybrid minivan, it's just not a PHEV

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Powershift posted:

They're making a poo poo ton of profit per car, so things aren't likely to go back to the way they were.

There's no reason to have lots full of cars they have to discount at the end of the year when it's clear people will pay a lot more if they think a new car is harder to get.

Ford and GM both have their own used program now, as well, which is going to be compensation for the dealers not having a pile of new cars to sell at cost.

There are 2 sales going on with every car purchase. The MFG to the dealer at invoice then the dealer to the customer at whatever number they come to. The Mfg doesn't get a slice of the markup, that sale was already completed before the markup was a thing.

The only way car prices stay high and car mfg's limit how many vehicles they build would be if they jacked up the MSRP's to match what they are being marked up to. That wouldn't solve the low inventory levels the dealers currently have which is what is driving the markups so high. If the MSRP's go up and there are still a massive shortage of in stock vehicles, the markups will also remain.

The second dealers have enough cars back on the lot and one local dealer starts giving out deals it will all go back to normal. Dealers aren't some huge cartel that control pricing. They are in competition with each other for sales and they will race to the bottom the second they think it will make them more money in volume and mfg spiffs.

The car market is very much a textbook case of supply and demand. The only way things change is if supply changes or demand changes. Demand will change if the economy collapses and people literally cant afford personal transportation anymore. Supply will change when the chip shortage is resolved + however many months it takes to catch up on ordered cars and refill empty lots.

tldr it is going to be a while before things go back to normal. The backlog of orders alone will take at least a year to fully resolve for a lot of brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kill me now posted:

There are 2 sales going on with every car purchase. The MFG to the dealer at invoice then the dealer to the customer at whatever number they come to. The Mfg doesn't get a slice of the markup, that sale was already completed before the markup was a thing.

The only way car prices stay high and car mfg's limit how many vehicles they build would be if they jacked up the MSRP's to match what they are being marked up to. That wouldn't solve the low inventory levels the dealers currently have which is what is driving the markups so high. If the MSRP's go up and there are still a massive shortage of in stock vehicles, the markups will also remain.

The second dealers have enough cars back on the lot and one local dealer starts giving out deals it will all go back to normal. Dealers aren't some huge cartel that control pricing. They are in competition with each other for sales and they will race to the bottom the second they think it will make them more money in volume and mfg spiffs.

The car market is very much a textbook case of supply and demand. The only way things change is if supply changes or demand changes. Demand will change if the economy collapses and people literally cant afford personal transportation anymore. Supply will change when the chip shortage is resolved + however many months it takes to catch up on ordered cars and refill empty lots.

tldr it is going to be a while before things go back to normal. The backlog of orders alone will take at least a year to fully resolve for a lot of brands.

Whenever anyone says that this will be the situation moving forward, I think of Bob at the Local Ford dealer, and how he would (in my mind) kill a child in order to meet the sales quota for the month.