Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I have absolutely no clue what they’re doing. It’s insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Barca buying players without being able to register them, Arsenal selling players seemingly without replacements lined up. This transfer window is a gift to us all

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
my favorite winter transfer season in years :popcorn:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

Barca buying players without being able to register them, Arsenal selling players seemingly without replacements lined up. This transfer window is a gift to us all

The first of these two things is likely to pay dividends for a while yet

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont understand how barca have run into this same problem like half a dozen times in as many months

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

i dont understand how barca have run into this same problem like half a dozen times in as many months

They took out another giant loan and assumed that meant they could throw money around for players even though they were told not no

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Vlahovic's transfer is the 3rd most expensive January transfer ever. 2nd is Virgil Van Dijk to Liverpool and 1st is Coutinho to Barca, which were financially related deals for Liverpool in the same window. So this was a pretty big swing by Juve. They really do need to step it up to finish in the top 4/Cl spots.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
West ham are apparently putting a late bid in for raphinha which I didn't see coming. Presumably would depend on them being able to afford him (still has a few years on the contract and Leeds aren't exactly desperate to get him out the door with no time to get a replacement) and being able to convince him they'll be playing in Europe next season which given the shape of the table he might think he can get that 4th place trophy sewn up for them. One to watch for sure

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

The first of these two things is likely to pay dividends for a while yet

Unlike Barca themselves

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

West ham are apparently putting a late bid in for raphinha which I didn't see coming. Presumably would depend on them being able to afford him (still has a few years on the contract and Leeds aren't exactly desperate to get him out the door with no time to get a replacement) and being able to convince him they'll be playing in Europe next season which given the shape of the table he might think he can get that 4th place trophy sewn up for them. One to watch for sure

Apparently they put in a £50m bid that was instantly rejected but this has woken up a couple of bigger clubs who might yet put in bigger bids either this window or in the summer. It's such a weird, big swing from the club, more like the days under Pellegrini when transfer policy was "David Sullivan's son saw a good player on FM and talked him into putting in a big bid". He's a drat good player but he's not in a position we need reinforcing (it's 386 days since we sold Haller, leaving Micky Tony And His Fabulous Exploding Hamstrings as our only striker, and Craig Dawson is somehow still a first-choice centre-back for a team allegedly challenging for Champions League football).

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

seeing some advanced stats suggesting this Bruno character is not garbage and hell, im excited and also loling at shelvey

https://twitter.com/Edit_Kev/status/1486086060354510853

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

tbp posted:

they wouldn't have gotten into this mess if they were capable of learning from mistakes

of course seeing barca competently run instead of this isn't nearly as funny so I hope they never do

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Saw a v deep feature on Diaz in the Athletic that made it sound like all terms agreed with Porto and Liverpool, just waiting for a physical in Argentina. Seems the writing's on the wall for Mane if the deal goes through.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

tbp posted:

I think they're doing it on purpose to put pressure on their players to accept pay cuts either with Barca or with a new club if the player is surplus

Mes que un club

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

that's sleazy enough that it's probably true

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

they wouldn't have gotten into this mess if they were capable of learning from mistakes

of course seeing barca competently run instead of this isn't nearly as funny so I hope they never do

They probably also looked at Real getting constantly bailed out by the Spanish gov and thought "That'll happen to us too". Too big to fail etc etc

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Adama Traoré to Barca is a done deal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZUxcs6opX-/

LOL @ Spurs

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 29, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Weaponized Cum posted:

Adama Traoré to Barca is a come deal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZUxcs6opX-/

LOL @ Spurs

How much come did they have to pay???

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

pik_d posted:

How much come did they have to pay???

they asked the whole team to jerk off and pitch in so it wasn't a problem

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
thats not lol @ spurs, thats lol @ barca, why the gently caress would anyone sign him lmao

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
He's a lot of fun to watch, even if he scores once a decade

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

EC10 posted:

thats not lol @ spurs, thats lol @ barca, why the gently caress would anyone sign him lmao

actually,

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1487511255615168513

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just heard Arsenal are registering Gunnersaurus for the rest of the season

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Some transferring being done

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1487756795544223746?s=21

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1487751982974709760

And a strong maybe on this one:

https://twitter.com/CraigHope_DM/status/1487744860794855426

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:getin:

Until he's poo poo...then :getout:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Henderson to Newcastle makes far too much sense. Also lol at both spurs getting bamboozled and the man united reserves to Everton pipeline still in full effect

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also fresh off kicking the tyres on raphinha West ham have allegedly put a £50m bid in for Phillips. It's the s*n so probably bollocks but if he goes for 50 mil I'm deleting TRP

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

the sex ghost posted:

Also fresh off kicking the tyres on raphinha West ham have allegedly put a £50m bid in for Phillips. It's the s*n so probably bollocks but if he goes for 50 mil I'm deleting TRP

It's been turned down already apparently

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Henderson to Newcastle makes far too much sense. Also lol at both spurs getting bamboozled and the man united reserves to Everton pipeline still in full effect

i've seen a journalist who is generally very good at these things say that he'd never heard us in for a keeper so far so finds it unlikely. Could be dubravka got injured or man utd have signalled they'd make him available so why not though

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Huge longtime Luis Diaz fan here

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm still angry that Henderson got long covid and De Gea regained his spot. Henderson has so much more to offer in the modern game

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Dan Burn looks like he is going to Newcastle from Brighton for £13m, the most gangly Sunday league looking centre back in the Premier League, but somehow quite good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah you can tell just by the fearless journalists who doggedly tracked down this story (i.e. read their texts) that this is just the West Ham board trying to pretend like they really do want to spend money, really and truly they do, but the mean other clubs just won't sell. It's a pity because Phillips actually would be a good signing - he links up well with Rice for England, and with Soucek having lost some spark (ever since he was out with Covid, hmm...) and Kral never really turning up on the few occasions he plays he would have been a great signing - for a team that's not, as I've already said, hanging it's entire Top 6 pretensions off Michail Antonio's hamstrings and Craig Dawson's turning circle.

Allegedly an outside chance we might sign Christian Benteke though, that's definitely a move from a club looking to push on to the Champion's League.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel like a few of the West ham bids are probably more 'if we do finish top 4 give us a ring in the summer' which makes sense. Just wish they'd go sniff around idk wolves or Leicester

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Annoyed Newcastle haven't made a mental signing yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Dan Burn looks like he is going to Newcastle from Brighton for £13m, the most gangly Sunday league looking centre back in the Premier League, but somehow quite good.

I don't know much about him except he is from Newcastle and is surely an upgrade over lascelles and clark

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1487771311481012226

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

I don't know much about him except he is from Newcastle and is surely an upgrade over lascelles and clark

Potter used him as a left back more often than not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How is Betancur so cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Jose posted:

Centre back that can also play left back and is surprisingly skillful for a 6ft7 lump, definitely not a stereotypical clogger. Think he'll do a good job for half a season and then I assume you'll sign better.

Makes sense for all parties I think, Burn gets a last big contract with his hometown Club and Brighton get a bit of money for someone they probably didn't expect to get anything for.