Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

The Gamera folks are well aware their movies are inherently goofy and embrace that because the movies are intended for kids more than Godzilla as I understand it.
I thought that was the primary reason for people liking and making tokusatsu?

It's also kinda cool just how broad the appeal has been over the years - one got made in Denmark back in the early 60s, called Reptilicus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVrogZOJzA

grahh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been watching Godzilla retrospectives recently (https://www.youtube.com/c/BigActionBill) and one thing he mentions is how the Toho production teams would regularly swing between "Godzilla is a kid's movie" and "Godzilla is a serious film" until finally settling mostly on the latter past the Shōwa period.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which one did they think the Jet Jaguar team-up was?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://twitter.com/SuedeBlade/status/1486922532267511816?s=20

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's also kinda cool just how broad the appeal has been over the years - one got made in Denmark back in the early 60s, called Reptilicus.

MST3k did Reptilicus and a Korean one called Yongary as part of their Netflix revival. Both are a lot of fun.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

MST3k did Reptilicus and a Korean one called Yongary as part of their Netflix revival. Both are a lot of fun.
Huh, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into that.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The original MST3K did Gorgo, the British/american co production, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So how does this tie in to the DBZ YouTuber talking about the new rule they can only claim things in Japanese?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

So how does this tie in to the DBZ YouTuber talking about the new rule they can only claim things in Japanese?

Unfortunately ShoPro is situated outside Japan while Toei is inside Japan, so not the same situation.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Another update
https://twitter.com/SuedeBlade/status/1487086231544496129?s=20&t=JbKnvGCPqu1DU9xyd8ubpA

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So the issue here is this guy was doing youtube videos recapping the Pokemon Sword/Shield season of the anime, and the company who makes it (ShoPro) is directly legally bullying and fining him?

https://twitter.com/SuedeBlade/status/1486930528196456449

That is pretty hosed up, and I guess points to how lucky Totally Not Mark was that Toei was not only going directly through Youtube's internal claims systems, but then broke the rules of the claims system when they didn't get what they wanted. I wonder if stuff like this is what Toei will resort to going forward?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

So the issue here is this guy was doing youtube videos recapping the Pokemon Sword/Shield season of the anime, and the company who makes it (ShoPro) is directly legally bullying and fining him?

That is pretty hosed up, and I guess points to how lucky Totally Not Mark was that Toei was not only going directly through Youtube's internal claims systems, but then broke the rules of the claims system when they didn't get what they wanted. I wonder if stuff like this is what Toei will resort to going forward?

Suede isn't doing videos on Sword/Shield, he's all the way back in Johto, the Gold/Silver era.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into that.

Warning, comedy song if you're not into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJylMyfu9I

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuns with Guns posted:

The only way to avoid this insanity in the future is to just show absolutely nothing of the japanese property you are talking about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You'd think so, but there were multiple TotallyNotMark videos where Toei made claims despite absolutely no footage or art being included.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

host your own videos, people!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The solution is just kill anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

You'd think so, but there were multiple TotallyNotMark videos where Toei made claims despite absolutely no footage or art being included.

Auralnauts mentioned once in a video that they got claimed by John Williams (or whoever represents him) for their video which was specifically about removing the score from Star Wars.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

host your own videos, people!

A totally achievable and economical thing to do. I know you have absolute seething contempt for any artist who relies on income from advertising or corporate mercy under any circumstances, and you're right that advertising is a moral and social poison and also a total pyramid scheme... but c'mon.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Gonna get my own video hosting and party like it's 2009!

...It's scarcely worth it really, isn't it

rox
Sep 7, 2016

brian david gilbert regales us with the greatest story ever told....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTAkRHGbuM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DoctorWhat posted:

A totally achievable and economical thing to do. I know you have absolute seething contempt for any artist who relies on income from advertising or corporate mercy under any circumstances, and you're right that advertising is a moral and social poison and also a total pyramid scheme... but c'mon.
just put them on the blockchain

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

haha what posted:

Genuinely in my feelings about this one, folks.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

i said it p brusquely initially and off the cuff but i have a lot more sympathy for people at the center of this specific type of hell because it is almost entirely out of your hands despite the fact that people creating under fair use in their country of origin are in the right. youtube will not take a stand against any company that may jeopardize its bottom line unless they are backed into a corner. unfortunately i think we have reached the point where the options are "cheap", "easy", and "without third part interference" and we can only pick 2.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We can barely pick one.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

haha what posted:

be sure to turn on subtitles, it may help you appreciate one line a bit more if you missed it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The blockchain is like the lifestream, if you think about it

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

*Peggle 2 guy voice* Channel Awesome.....2!!!!!!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's called Nebula and it's already had a huge TERF crisis.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

We can barely pick one.

Professional hat on: I can give you two.

Not the cheap one.

But video hosting is pretty turn-key these days.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Come host on bitchute! *Opens arms to the multitude of explicit neo-nazi videos on the very front page*

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I know a great site for content creators called RedTube

fun hater
May 24, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

Professional hat on: I can give you two.

Not the cheap one.

But video hosting is pretty turn-key these days.

legit interested: what the ballpark for someone with 0 audience to host their own videos for a blog or something? is that a thing that can be guessed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can pay Venmo for professional hosting. Linkara also paid for non-Youtube hosting for some of his videos as a mirror for a while.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

fun hater posted:

legit interested: what the ballpark for someone with 0 audience to host their own videos for a blog or something? is that a thing that can be guessed

Video hosting is file hosting, so if you are really basic you can just offer your videos for download rather than streaming, so basic Web hosting. And I think you can just embed them with html(or a JavaScript videoplayer), though how good that works I don't know. But since a lot of the audience is watching on phones with apps rather than browsers it might be limiting.

Hel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 29, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's called Nebula and it's already had a huge TERF crisis.

“TERF War” was right there…

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fun hater posted:

If nothing else, you can always use archive.org, aka the one place I was sure I could find an upload of Jan Misali's essay "Who Wrote Caramelldansen?" while that DMCA controversy was happening slash might still be happening.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Embedding video for someone without much of an audience is trivial. Won't have different quality levels and whatnot out of the box, but it's not that hard. It's just <video /> tags pointing at video file on a server. Browsers can handle everything on their own.

The hard part comes when the audience is no longer trivial or uses weird devices that can't decode the video. If you're using some kind of CDN, which you have to, you are looking at transfer costs of a few cents per GB. A 2GB video with 10 000 views may cost 1800€ to serve. (Extreme napkin maths here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

You can pay Venmo for professional hosting. Linkara also paid for non-Youtube hosting for some of his videos as a mirror for a while.

Isn't that what Chuck from SF Debris has to do?