Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

dragon enthusiast posted:

Still adds complexity to a set (albeit not as much as a full mechanic). One of my first magic sets was Planeshift and I kept thinking Lairs had some kind of special rules baggage attached to them like Walls or Legends.

Add flagbearer to that list.

I was teaching a friend to play last month and he thought that that changelings had flying since changelings were angels, and all angels he has seen so far had flying. It's a reasonable assumption, but it's wrong. It's complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah if they'd gone for the monster movie poster style like that secret lair, even one per pack, I would have even remotely considered it. but they're not even trying.

I preordered a box in December thinking it was going to be like the fabulous Dracula and Frankenstein 1930s posters and I ended up changing my preorder to Kamigawa when I found out it was, well, what it was.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought koth was dead or implied to be dead in a piece of side fiction

The state of anything in the lore [strike]past 3 years[/strike] is just an absolute mess.

Koth is implied to be dead because he didn't show in War of the spark. Last solid info we had on him was that Koth was protecting the last of the non-phyrexians in Urabrasks realm.

After that we had implications that Urabrask had his area conquered by the other praetors and making it unlikely Koth or any of the Mirrodin natives survived. None of that last part is really solid and I've probably missed a bunch of contradictory statements that creative team has done over the years.

Creative control on this game has had at least 5 full staff turnovers while I've been paying attention so really it could be anything at anytime.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
I hate the sci-fi tech being expected to just go on alongside all the middle ages magic settings now but man does this art kick rear end.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Human Crouton posted:

I was teaching a friend to play last month and he thought that that changelings had flying since changelings were angels, and all angels he has seen so far had flying. It's a reasonable assumption, but it's wrong. It's complex.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

they're also birds. your friend is right

edit: and before some nerd comes in here trying to claim that not all birds can fly: they're changelings so they can transform into one of the kinds that do fly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

little munchkin posted:

edit: and before some nerd comes in here trying to claim that not all birds can fly: they're changelings so they can transform into one of the kinds that do fly

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

little munchkin posted:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=whippoorwill

Even if it's art shows it flying a bird can not have flying.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 29, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E. Revenant posted:

I hate the sci-fi tech being expected to just go on alongside all the middle ages magic settings now but man does this art kick rear end.

:emptyquote:, in spirit anyways.

I'm not gonna read the lore but can someone who does give a quick rundown of what's going on? I imagine the thing called 'The Reality Chip' is involved somehow.

flatluigi posted:

'channel is like cycling, an activated ability of a card in your hand that doesn't count as casting it'

also never call me a virile veteran again

What's cycling?

They're definitely expecting Arena to do the heavy lifting on having people understand the rules, and they're probably right. They'll pull back eventually because they inevitably do, but until then bring on the walls of text.

E. Revenant posted:

Its just jumping between the branches.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 29, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Blood vial but on a card and costing 1 or more colorless.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 29, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

:emptyquote:, in spirit anyways.

I'm not gonna read the lore but can someone who does give a quick rundown of what's going on? I imagine the thing called 'The Reality Chip' is involved somehow.

The Wanderer is really emperor (empress?) of Kamigawa whose spark got messed up as a result of some ritual, so it causes them to planeswalk involuntarily. She's also connected to Kyodai, the main Kami from the first set.

Current era Kamigawa is a mostly peaceful cyberpunk kingdom with a regent ruling in place of the missing emperor, there are a bunch of malcontent factions split off from the empire that want to go back to the feuding states era dynamic. Plus vague cyberpunk scheming stuff, background noise conflicts, worries about the Kami going berserk again, etc.

Tezzeret and Jin-gitaxis are both there, the former stirring poo poo up by helping the rebels attack the empire and the latter experimenting on Kami entities. Tezzeret creates the Reality Chip (a macguffin) to do ... something... and some PWs can use it interface with machines.

The new ninja PW guy (who is connected to the Emperor and has been searching for her across planes) and Tamiyo get involved, start trying to figure things out what's happening. The Wanderer comes back, tries to use the Reality Chip to stabilize her spark but that also allows Tezzeret to hurt her. Tamiyo and the new guy almost get captured by the Phyrexians but the Wanderer breaks them out. Tamiyo uses the Reality Chip to control a mech, there's a big fight where the empire fights off the rebels at the expense of the Wanderer's spark destabilizing again. The good guys capture Tezzeret but surprise he uses the Reality Chip to turn the tables and kidnap Tamiyo - she's really who they wanted all along, everything else was just a ploy to draw her back to Kamigawa.

It ends with Tamiyo getting compleated on Phyrexia because they need her to research something? And the new PW guy goes after the Wanderer to try to bring her back.

I think that's all the high points, but I admittedly skimmed a lot of it.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 29, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wait I thought the big boss Kami front the first block was O-Kagachi

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Blood vial but on a card and costing 1 or more colorless.

I don’t understand what this has to do with gaining 2 hp at the beginning of a fight

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

The new ninja PW guy (who is connected to the Emperor and has been searching for her across planes) and Tamiyo get involved, start trying to figure things out what's happening. The Wanderer comes back, tries to use the Reality Chip to stabilize her spark but that also allows Tezzeret to hurt her. Tamiyo and the new guy almost get captured by the Phyrexians but the Wanderer breaks them out. Tamiyo uses the Reality Chip to control a mech, there's a big fight where the empire fights off the rebels at the expense of the Wanderer's spark destabilizing again. The good guys capture Tezzeret but surprise he uses the Reality Chip to turn the tables and kidnap Tamiyo - she's really who they wanted all along, everything else was just a ploy to draw her back to Kamigawa.

Pretty sure it's just the case that what they want is Any Planeswalker At All and Tamiyo is just the one who happened to be interfaced with the reality chip at that point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

E. Revenant posted:

I 100% expect it all to be spirit-powered using the kami and such as fuel sources, and not being something that would really fly on other planes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A big flaming stink posted:

Wait I thought the big boss Kami front the first block was O-Kagachi

It was, but after being defeated, his daughter kyodai has taken his place sorta

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

E. Revenant posted:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=whippoorwill

That's because he's too blue to fly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Does that check on resolution or when it triggers? Not that you'd really be goozled that hard by not getting a 2/2 if you stop having an artifact and enchantment.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This seems pretty darn good

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Pablo Nergigante posted:

holy poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time posted:

holy poo poo

Seems like a really good sideboard card for hammertime/stoneblade

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Does that check on resolution or when it triggers? Not that you'd really be goozled that hard by not getting a 2/2 if you stop having an artifact and enchantment.

Both.
Whenever... If... Makes it an intervening if clause, and those require the condition to be met to trigger and again when they resolve.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank the Kami: scooze is tutorable

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pablo Nergigante posted:

it's white scavenging ooze, it's gonna show up a TON

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I like it a lot

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Tutorable by both recruiter and SFM too, definitely going to slot into legacy D&T

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Seems like a really good sideboard card for hammertime/stoneblade

i don't think it'll do much for hammertime since you can't just equip it while it's a creature. also cranial plating will probably pump faster.

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1487500794739965959

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gets a +1/+1 counter from any permanent instead of just creatures but doesn't gain 1 life. Pretty good tradeoff I think.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

i don't think it'll do much for hammertime since you can't just equip it while it's a creature. also cranial plating will probably pump faster.

If Puresteel Paladin is out you can! And it gets rid of troublesome graveyard cards

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Pablo Nergigante posted:

nice.

I feel like im going to draft this and force W/B way more then i should

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If Puresteel Paladin is out you can! And it gets rid of troublesome graveyard cards

No, you still need to Reconfigure it. Equipment thats a creature can't become attached to things so Equip 0 does nothing on resolution. Same with Sigarda's aid / anything besides reconfigure, unless you can get it to stop being a creature some other way.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No, you still need to Reconfigure it. Equipment thats a creature can't become attached to things so Equip 0 does nothing on resolution. Same with Sigarda's aid / anything besides reconfigure, unless you can get it to stop being a creature some other way.

Ah ok

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eej posted:

Gets a +1/+1 counter from any permanent instead of just creatures but doesn't gain 1 life. Pretty good tradeoff I think.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is there any situation where being one toughness instead of two matters? Thats the only thing thats weaker then scavenging ooze as far as i can tell

Other then being an artifact so open to more removal, i guess

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is there any situation where being one toughness instead of two matters? Thats the only thing thats weaker then scavenging ooze as far as i can tell

Other then being an artifact so open to more removal, i guess

plague engineer would be the big one there

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

This is not entirely clear just from the mechanics article but I think the comprehensive rules update will clear this up

quote:

Reconfigure represents two activated abilities and a bit more. First, as a sorcery, you can pay the reconfigure cost to attach the Equipment to a creature you control. You can do this if the Equipment is unattached, or you can do this to move the Equipment from one creature you control to another. This part of reconfigure does exactly what equip does. The "a bit more" is a rule that says an Equipment with reconfigure that becomes attached to a creature stops being a creature itself.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

resistentialism posted:

plague engineer would be the big one there

Plague on cat is a bold choice, i dont think youd bring it in against this card unless somehow an honest to god cat deck emerges

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Barry Shitpeas posted:

This is not entirely clear just from the mechanics article but I think the comprehensive rules update will clear this up

yeah i think there needs to be more clarification. it sounds like you can't attach for free with paladin or kor outfitter while it's still a creature but once you've reconfigured it maybe you can?

it says while it's attached it's not a creature but doesn't say what happens if you want to move the equipment to another creature... if you move equipment from one creature to another is there like an detached step? or does it just consider it's another attach ability so you're never really detaching it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I misread that as 'attached with Reconfigure'. As an independent static ability they'll either have to re-write the rules or have it lose the creature type when it attempts to attach but before it actually does, which would be unusual. As-is it will never become attached if its a creature, so it can't be stop being a creature on the condition of being attached since that will never be true.

E: I guess such conditionals aren't so rare in the comp rules. "If an effect tries to attach a a creature with reconfigure it stops being a creature" would work.

ref:

701.3a. To attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object or player means to take it from where it currently is and put it onto that object or player. If something is attached to a permanent on the battlefield, it's customary to place it so that it's physically touching the permanent. An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification can't be attached to an object or player it couldn't enchant, equip, or fortify, respectively.

701.3b. If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object or player it can't be attached to, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification doesn't move. If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to the object or player it's already attached to, the effect does nothing. If an effect tries to attach an object that isn't an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to another object or player, the effect does nothing and the first object doesn't move.

301.5c. An Equipment that's also a creature can't equip a creature...

702.6a. Equip is an activated ability of Equipment cards. "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate only as a sorcery."

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 29, 2022