Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cute, isn't she?

Until she shits in your purse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
https://i.imgur.com/VxnXq4N.mp4

Ive learned the incantation that can summon Pesto to this realm but he can only stay manifested for a few seconds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have captured the glorious, primal process of a cockatiel deciding to build a nest.

In a blanket.

Next to my legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuPHI_Lo2Ss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

You can't sit with us.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Only cool kids may sit there.

I am thankful for the advice received in PM about the bird rehoming. At this point I want to ask some exploratory questions about the idea of taking her myself. I am very leery of this; I had never really given much thought to a second bird. I would rather find her a loving home with someone else.

But let's say, tentatively, I consider adopting her. She is a roughly 25-year-old Senegal parrot. Sinbad is a roughly 27-year-old male Senegal. The risk of egg is a big reason I am leery of taking her. Besides more info regarding that, I would appreciate thoughts about what I should consider about being ready for a second bird, and how life for me and Sinbad might change with a second bird around.

T I A bird thread.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

SuperKlaus posted:

Only cool kids may sit there.

I am thankful for the advice received in PM about the bird rehoming. At this point I want to ask some exploratory questions about the idea of taking her myself. I am very leery of this; I had never really given much thought to a second bird. I would rather find her a loving home with someone else.

But let's say, tentatively, I consider adopting her. She is a roughly 25-year-old Senegal parrot. Sinbad is a roughly 27-year-old male Senegal. The risk of egg is a big reason I am leery of taking her. Besides more info regarding that, I would appreciate thoughts about what I should consider about being ready for a second bird, and how life for me and Sinbad might change with a second bird around.

T I A bird thread.

What would be the cage situation?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
She'd come with her present cage, to be kept in the same room but apart from Sinbad's I figure.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I need everyone in here to know that when a bird in a posted video chirps or squeaks I reflexively whistle back through my teeth like I do with my parakeets.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LonsomeSon posted:

I need everyone in here to know that when a bird in a posted video chirps or squeaks I reflexively whistle back through my teeth like I do with my parakeets.

https://i.imgur.com/cNa4M71.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ahhhhhh :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa-hcUyLP58

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Buddy the Birdy is a very Pro-Subribe.

They got him as a rescue, believing him to be two years old at the time. They have absolutely no idea how the hell that became the little Doofus Bird's call.

I think he sounds like the most adorable dot-matrix printer, ever. :kimchi:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not mine but true bird happiness is this

https://youtube.com/shorts/FnZZFNlkyxE

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Just some of my birds eating pancakes, and one more interested in eating a bag.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh gosh they're just wonderful.

what do you put in your pancakes for them?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
What lovely photos, and birbs :3: I too, am interested in birdy pancakes.

We decided to go with a cockatiel! Meet Sunny :)

She's currently a bit anxious about being left alone, so I've got her up here with me sitting on my shoulder as I work. So far she's only flown onto my partner's head once while he was on a zoom so, so far so good!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Lol, well they are regular pancakes without butter or syrup. They eat pellets and fruit/veggies normally so this was a little treat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

She's currently a bit anxious about being left alone, so I've got her up here with me sitting on my shoulder as I work. So far she's only flown onto my partner's head once while he was on a zoom so, so far so good!

precious. once she's used to you, she'll probably fly to zoom meetings more often. depending on how or if post covid things might shake out, once you guys have a good bond, consider a friend for her next year (two birds aren't really much more effort than one).

Jerm324 posted:

Lol, well they are regular pancakes without butter or syrup. They eat pellets and fruit/veggies normally so this was a little treat.

haha i asked mostly because once alex ate a piece of cornbread and he was sick and throwing up for like thirty minutes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bee posted:

Oh my goodness, what a little adorable thing.

If the bird is already acting that way around y'all, it is in a good spot. A know plenty of people who take weeks to months before their little doofus is on their shoulder or flying to them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Oh my goodness, what a little adorable thing.

If the bird is already acting that way around y'all, it is in a good spot. A know plenty of people who take weeks to months before their little doofus is on their shoulder or flying to them.

yeah i wonder if she was especially well reared

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

(two birds aren't really much more effort than one).

I could really use some help on that point. Things are confusing at the moment, and understandably the family is focused on a lot of things that aren't the bird's fate, but it may be the case that the little female Senegal needs a new home soon.

Let's say I take her in, meaning to just hold her temporarily until I find a home. This would be only if the family really can't commit to keeping her fed and comfy while a new home is found. Am I looking at trouble with Sinbad? Are they gonna like spend all day screaming at each other like "WHO IS THAT WHO IS THAT WHO IS THAT" or what.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kenshin posted:

I am (very slowly) starting the process of looking for a new home for Auri. No, this isn't due to any issues with her--this is something I've known I'd need to eventually do for a while, because I'm finally at the point where I'm getting ready to buy a cruising sailboat to live on, a life that as romantic as it would seem, is not really appropriate for Auri (nor very feasible in a legal sense in many places in the world).

I brought it up today with someone at the local bird store & hotel that she has a special connection with. She is interested, though her living and financial situation may not be appropriate for a second parrot, so we'll keep in touch, and I'll also keep asking around a little bit. Right now my goal is to find her a new home by March 2022, which I think is plenty of time to find the right person.

Fwiw we have a Senegal and a Grey on our boat, and some YouTube doers in our Marina have two macaws.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 1, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

I could really use some help on that point. Things are confusing at the moment, and understandably the family is focused on a lot of things that aren't the bird's fate, but it may be the case that the little female Senegal needs a new home soon.

Let's say I take her in, meaning to just hold her temporarily until I find a home. This would be only if the family really can't commit to keeping her fed and comfy while a new home is found. Am I looking at trouble with Sinbad? Are they gonna like spend all day screaming at each other like "WHO IS THAT WHO IS THAT WHO IS THAT" or what.

i mean, probably. at least for a couple of days. i expect sinbad will be EXTREMELY interested even if he ultimately just ignores her utterly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

What a sweet precious baby :3 Spend lots of good, cuddly time with her now, it'll build her confidence in her new family and help her feel safe. She's only a little baba and she needs to know her new family love her.
You can work on her dealing with alone time once she's confident that she's loved and safe.

Edit: I'm remembering when we got Pookie the grey, the person we got her from said she was weaned, but we should get some fruity baby food to help her feel safe and comfy.
I well remember driving home in the car with a worried baby grey in a little cage in the back seat. We were afraid she'd bite us, which, in retrospect was so so stupid and ignorant. She was just a little baby who needed and wanted to snuggle and feel safe.

We got some jar baby food, which everyone, human and bird, agreed was disgusting, so we got milupa sunshine orange breakfast, a brand of babyfood for very small babies.

Pookie loved it, she wanted to be fed babyfood until she was at least 3 years old. But she totally grew out of eating baby food.
She's 21 years old now, and if you tried to feed her off a spoon like a baby, she'd give you the loving weirdest look.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 1, 2022

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh gosh baby tiel :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Biologists Identify First Animal That Communicates With the Complexity of Human Language: the Song Sparrow

gnn posted:

The tweets of a little song sparrow and its ‘bird brain’ are a lot more complex and akin to human language than anyone realized. A new study finds that male sparrows deliberately shuffle and mix their song repertoire possibly as a way to keep it interesting for their female audience.

The research, from the lab of Stephen Nowicki, Duke University professor of biology and member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences, and colleagues at the University of Miami, shows that singing males keep track of the order of their songs and how often each one is sung for up to 30 minutes so they can curate both their current playlist and the next one.

Song sparrows are a common songbird throughout North America, but only males sing. They use their song to defend their turf and court mates.

When wooing, song sparrows belt up to 12 different two-second songs, a repertoire that can take nearly 30 minutes to get through, since they repeat the same song several times before going on to the next track. In addition to varying the number of repeats, males also shuffle the order of their tunes each time they sing their discography. However, a big unknown had been whether males change up their song order and repeats by accident or by design.

To get some data on whether or not the birds intentionally shuffle and mix their tunes, Nowicki’s long-time collaborator William Searcy, the Maytag Professor of Ornithology in Biology at the University of Miami, loaded up the recording gear, trekked out to the backwoods of northwest Pennsylvania, set up mics pointed to the trees and patiently waited for five hours a day.

Nowicki says that fieldwork like this isn’t for everyone, “I would never use the word boring, because it’s relaxing if you like being out in the field and it’s a nice day and you’ve got your parabolic microphone and you’re pointing it at a song sparrow for hours. Some people would find that boring. I and certainly Bill would find that meditatively relaxing. The only thing that happens is sometimes your arm gets tired.”

After recording the full suite of songs from more than 30 birds, the team pored over visual spectrographs of the trills and analyzed how often each song was sung and in what order. The first clue that males keep tabs on their tweets to avoid repetition was that much like a Spotify playlist, males generally sing through their full repertoire before repeating a song.

The researchers also found that the more a sparrow sang a given song, the longer he took to get back to that song, possibly to build up hype and novelty once that song was played again. For example, if a male sang Song A 10 times in a row, he’d sing even more renditions of his other songs before returning to Song A again. Alternatively, if Song A was only warbled three times during a set, then a male song sparrow might recite a shorter rendition of the rest of his repertoire in order to return to the still novel and underplayed Song A.

Taken together, these findings demonstrate that song sparrows possess an extremely rare talent with an equally uncommon name: “long-distance dependencies.” It means that what a male song sparrow sings in the moment depends on what he sang as much as 30 minutes ago. That’s a 360 times larger memory capacity than the previous record holder, the canary, who can only juggle about five seconds worth of song information in this way.

While impressive, the implications from this work for humans are less clear. It does suggest that the order of words in human language, which is similarly impacted by long-distance dependencies may not be as unique as once thought.

It remains to be seen whether better shuffling ability gives males an advantage at finding love. Perhaps females maintain interest in a mate who mixes it up more, and are less likely to sneak off with another male. As with daytime talk shows, paternity tests are a good proxy for monogamy in birds, so counting how many chicks are sired by a female’s nest mate versus another bird in the neighborhood may be a future project for Nowicki’s team.

For now, Nowicki emphasizes it’s just speculation whether these shuffling song sparrows give Spotify a run for their money to keep a female’s interest, but does highlight our similar approach at the gym.

“You’ve got your playlist for running and the reason you’ve got that is because running is kind of boring. You know that these 10 songs are going to keep you motivated, but if you are going to run for 20 songs long, why not shuffle it so the next time you don’t hear the same songs in the same order?”

paper:

Long-distance dependencies in bird syntax

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
hi thread, been a minute. You may be familiar with me from the discord, where I Do Not Stop Posting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what an adorable watchful eye

bee
Dec 17, 2008

mediaphage posted:

yeah i wonder if she was especially well reared

The woman I bought her off was your stereotypical crazy bird lady. The back sunroom of her house was where all the birds lived, she had about six cockatiels and about a dozen budgies. Some of budgies were rescues and had their own closed cages, but the cockatiels were all tame and were going in and out of their cages as they pleased.

Everything looked clean, all the birds had fruit and veg and fresh looking water. Bird lady was talking about the all the different birds she'd kept over the years while introducing my daughter and I to the ones she had for sale and asking me questions about whether I knew how to look after birds. When my daughter picked out Sunny, bird lady let her two kids who had been helping to rear the birds come and give her some goodbye pats before she went into the travel box.

So yeah, I think she's had a pretty good start to life :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden_/status/1488744127869054976?s=20&t=lCYdvPZjQ1dlM4F_W0tlAg

bee posted:

The woman I bought her off was your stereotypical crazy bird lady. The back sunroom of her house was where all the birds lived, she had about six cockatiels and about a dozen budgies. Some of budgies were rescues and had their own closed cages, but the cockatiels were all tame and were going in and out of their cages as they pleased.

Everything looked clean, all the birds had fruit and veg and fresh looking water. Bird lady was talking about the all the different birds she'd kept over the years while introducing my daughter and I to the ones she had for sale and asking me questions about whether I knew how to look after birds. When my daughter picked out Sunny, bird lady let her two kids who had been helping to rear the birds come and give her some goodbye pats before she went into the travel box.

So yeah, I think she's had a pretty good start to life :3:

oh, that's lovely.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
BEWARE!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Ha, I can see that picture going viral.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

perfection.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Do you know who is just the sweetest, nicest good girl?
It's Pookie, the African grey.

She has valid reasons to be jealous of Henry the dog, since he arrived many years after she did, and gets attention differently from her.
But she loves him too, she gives him snacks, she wags her tail when she sees him getting cuddled, she makes her happy sound when she sees him being comforted.
African greys are good, kind, gentle, thoughtful people.
I know they are a bit weird and stand-offish, but they really are extraordinarily sweet, loving and kind people to the ones they love.

They are dicks to outsiders, and, unfortunately, have a stringent standard for what counts as an outsider.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

Do you know who is just the sweetest, nicest good girl?
It's Pookie, the African grey.

She has valid reasons to be jealous of Henry the dog, since he arrived many years after she did, and gets attention differently from her.
But she loves him too, she gives him snacks, she wags her tail when she sees him getting cuddled, she makes her happy sound when she sees him being comforted.
African greys are good, kind, gentle, thoughtful people.
I know they are a bit weird and stand-offish, but they really are extraordinarily sweet, loving and kind people to the ones they love.

They are dicks to outsiders, and, unfortunately, have a stringent standard for what counts as an outsider.

:kimchi:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

quote:

Aaaa parrotlets are so cute, such fluffy little nuggets!

Derpalert! :derptiel:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

bee posted:

Aaaa parrotlets are so cute, such fluffy little nuggets!

Derpalert! :derptiel:

Mediaphage has lineolated parakeets, not parrotlets :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They are adorable, small parrots, thus to me they are parrotlets.

Edit: in much the same way, Biscuit and its siblings are kidlets

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Mediaphage has lineolated parakeets, not parrotlets :)

Cool cool, I stand corrected.. I saw a picture of that kind of bird captioned with "parrotlet" so that'd what went into my brain. My knowledge of non Australian birds isn't super good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they look similar so it’s pretty easy to mix them up

afaict linnies are chiller, though (well for parrots, lol)