Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I do hope someone does Maid in Manhattan but makes it fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Is there a J Lo challenge this season, or are you all just speculating?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Haha.
https://twitter.com/hereisbosco/status/1486412998231003137

Nihonniboku posted:

Is there a J Lo challenge this season, or are you all just speculating?

Friday's episode includes a "Night of 1,000 J-Los" runway, as mentioned on today's "first 10 minutes of this week's episode".

Although you asking makes me realize, I believe thread rules technically considers the "early look" (usually posted Wednesdays on Youtube) as spoilers, so a few of us may have inadvertently been breaking that rule. I'll defer to the thread, of course, but my apologies for taking part. :)

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I just watched the meet the queens for UK vs the World and I'm a little worried because Pangina came off really stiff and I think if I didn't already love her I wouldn't have much of an impression from that. Hopefully not a sign of how she will perform on the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Friday's episode includes a "Night of 1,000 J-Los" runway, as mentioned on today's "first 10 minutes of this week's episode".

Although you asking makes me realize, I believe thread rules technically considers the "early look" (usually posted Wednesdays on Youtube) as spoilers, so a few of us may have inadvertently been breaking that rule. I'll defer to the thread, of course, but my apologies for taking part. :)

I suppose it might be. I'm more concerned about who wins and loses. I just don't watch the early look videos, and the JLo conversation just came seemingly out of nowhere, so I was confused.

I had a dream last night that I was on drag race. Except that I wasn't in drag, and just being my normal self, hanging out back stage (in the woods) hanging out and drinking with the queens and Ru.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I had a dream last night that I was on drag race. Except that I wasn't in drag, and just being my normal self, hanging out back stage (in the woods) hanging out and drinking with the queens and Ru.

Drag Race: Appalachians

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Drag Race: Appalachians

Just don't be in the werk room when they start talking about growing up

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Tonight's episode thoughts:

Hot take, but when they've done Night of a 1000 blank blanks in the past, they were from iconic performers. I've never thought of JLo as very iconic, she's more tabloid fodder, and is more famous for her romantic life and diva behavior than her career. She had a handful of hit songs, 20 years ago. I didn't recognize any of the looks on the runway tonight, other than the green dress. The lip sync song, it took me until the chorus to realize I had even heard the song before.

The editing tonight lead us to think that Jasmine was either going to be in the top of bottom, given how much she was featured loving up in the episode. When we got to Kerri and Alyssa in the bottom, I thought for sure they would both be saved, or Alyssa would pull out the gold candy bar.

The entire Kornbread - Jasmine feud, I kept on thinking about the bitch eating crackers meme.

All these queens who came in with a ton of confidence in their first episode floundered in this episode. Some of these look queens really freeze up when it comes to comedy.

I was surprised Willow Pill didn't win a second time in a row this week.

So far, I still think this is the best season we've had since maybe season 9? Everyone is so likeable.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's Week Four and we're already at the "this lsfyl hurts" mode. :getin:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I was disappointed there wasn't a single Fly Girl look on the runway tonight. Also not really sure I agree with the lip sync results but what can you do.

I don't know why it didn't specifically hit me before this episode, but drat Alyssa Hunter got some good boy hair.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

graynull posted:

I was disappointed there wasn't a single Fly Girl look on the runway tonight. Also not really sure I agree with the lip sync results but what can you do.

I don't know why it didn't specifically hit me before this episode, but drat Alyssa Hunter got some good boy hair.

I thought Alyssa was stronger until she picked up the money gun and it failed. I feel like the show has to punish gimmicks that don’t work to help slow down every lip sync being a gimmick-off.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I was more bored by the runway than I wanted to be.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This challenge was a huge breath of fresh air, and both teams had a great final product. Next week also looks compelling, and we get to see more of some of the most beloved 1st outs? This better be a hint at a RuDemption season.

Have they been taking notes on why S13 was so poorly received?

Regarding the judging:

I don't disagree with Angeria's win, but DeJa made me laugh the hardest with that loving cow getup. I was surprised she didn't get the win after her runway was praised despite not being a particularly faithful interpretation. A little confused why Willow was in the top. She was okay, but there were a few who were more funny, like Maddy or Daya. Maybe they needed someone from group one?

Guess Alyssa didn't get the Jan edit so much as the Nicky Doll edit, minus a deserved ball high. (EDIT: come to think of it, the April Carrion edit is most apt)

I knew she'd be gone midway through the episode once she went into her backstory. Gonna miss seeing that hot boy in the werkroom.

I'm actually really surprised they put a big name like Kerri in the bottom so early, and I really think Alyssa could've sent her home if her money gag hadn't malfunctioned.

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's Week Four and we're already at the "this lsfyl hurts" mode. :getin:

That started yesterday. I'd say episode 1, if it weren't so obviously a fakeout. Seriously, I love this cast so much and every week will be devastating. Everyone's so likeable (and cute)

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I was more bored by the runway than I wanted to be.

I was whelmed. Everyone looked great, but nothing jawdropping. So I guess they nailed the assignment?

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 29, 2022

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I was whelmed. Everyone looked great, but nothing jawdropping. So I guess they nailed the assignment?

Yeah everything was impeccible and there weren't any real disasters but I was kind of bored that everyone except Willow chose pretty recent J-Lo runway/performance looks. It's really more of a reflection of J-Lo's style than anything on the queens though.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I feel like JLo wears like...nice designer dresses. She doesn't really have style defining moments like Gaga or Madonna do. The only looks I was expecting to see this ep were the green Versace and the Camp Met Ball look.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apparently, production rejected any movie references, probably due to needing to show a picture of the original. At least two queens planned to. Maddy would've done wonders for gay-straight relations.

Another queen was apparently working with a designer who wanted to do an Anaconda look:

https://twitter.com/JOSHUANAPONTE/status/1487243772551385088
https://twitter.com/JOSHUANAPONTE/status/1487249032380567553

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Ugh that explains it even though I figured it had to be something like that. The majority of J-Lo's actually interesting or draggable looks (to me) are her movie or music video ones.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Who are in charge of the challenges this season? Give them a bonus, this is the best challenge the show's done in years. :allears: And next week's looks great too!

Team 1's teaser was solid, but Team 2's teaser was on a different level. When DeJa in that loving cow getup floated in the background I lost it.

I can't not hear the airhorn sound they played after the chocolate reveal as anything else than the Among Us sfx

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Controversial but brave take incoming: I don't really like bringing the actual literal dress from an iconic look to the runway. It doesn't really tell me anything about you or your interpretation of the source. It's just the literal dress with you in it. Looked good, just didn't do much for me as a viewer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently my JLo hot take wasn't as hot as I thought it was.

gandlethorpe posted:

Apparently, production rejected any movie references, probably due to needing to show a picture of the original.

They let them do movie looks with Madonna in season 8. Wonder what caused the change.

blizzardvizard posted:

Who are in charge of the challenges this season? Give them a bonus, this is the best challenge the show's done in years. :allears:

Probably because they didn't need to have a coherent story throughout.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Agreed with pretty much everyone in here. Great challenge, boring runway, suspicious judging. I also did not think Kerri won that lipsync, despite the prop failure. She was so low energy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DeJa giving that glum thumbs up has to be one of the biggest laughs I've ever had on this show

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow, they filmed SO much and the skit was actually kinda funny, what the hell??

"You'll have to lipsync against... ME!"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This season’s theme is candy crying and lipsyncs that could’ve been double sashays. That being said I’m so glad Kerri wasn’t eliminated.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 30, 2022

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Angeria is becoming one of my all-time favorite drag queens. And it's been 4 episodes.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

A God drat Ghost posted:

I just watched the meet the queens for UK vs the World and I'm a little worried because Pangina came off really stiff and I think if I didn't already love her I wouldn't have much of an impression from that. Hopefully not a sign of how she will perform on the show.

I want the ability to link this at everyone who hasn't watched DRT1&2 and wants to watch UKvtW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_CseAb5IA8
She's much more than this lipsync, but also, this lipsync is everything.

edit: there's also this which I'm sure most here have seen, but if not -- illuminating. I love when Pan and Art are posing for the photo on the stairs the most. Sharon is a shitter, but her warmth here for them is notable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7GLHiFsiC4

big dyke energy posted:

I feel like JLo wears like...nice designer dresses. She doesn't really have style defining moments like Gaga or Madonna do. The only looks I was expecting to see this ep were the green Versace and the Camp Met Ball look.

Yeah, J-Lo is an odd one to do a night of 100 looks for.... I guess she was available to do a video cameo? ... in a pandemic? .........

GrandmaParty posted:

Angeria is becoming one of my all-time favorite drag queens. And it's been 4 episodes.

This all day. I didn't cop this energy from her in the promo material, but the charisma is off the charts. I started as a Kornbread or bust person, but right now this is looking like another Bob Season 8 runaway with everyone else desperately trying to meet Angeria on her level.

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 30, 2022

lookmanicant
Apr 18, 2006

Hi, I'm John Sheppard. Isn't my hair awesome? I like ferris wheels.
The judge's panel this week seemed like they had more fun than I've seen in a LONG time! It was refreshing to see. Maddy's "The dancing queen...is here." floored me.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

blizzardvizard posted:

I can't not hear the airhorn sound they played after the chocolate reveal as anything else than the Among Us sfx

Both episodes it's been in we've cracked the gently caress up laughing, of all the sad trumpet noises they could have used.

graynull posted:

Controversial but brave take incoming: I don't really like bringing the actual literal dress from an iconic look to the runway. It doesn't really tell me anything about you or your interpretation of the source. It's just the literal dress with you in it. Looked good, just didn't do much for me as a viewer.

Yeah that's how I feel also. It's kinda unavoidable in a "do this outfit" runway though. I've never much been a fan of them because the regular runways are an outfit prompt that they have to work at, as opposed to a fully formed outfit they need to redo. On a certain level I can't blame her for just taking the Google Images Dress straight up, that's kinda what they're asking for.

The reason this acting challenge was so good was because the thing they were parodying was themselves so they already had a wealth of knowledge on what to do and how to do it. The show getting so up its own rear end that this is possible is a bad sign, but at least it's not another bad parody of a drama show I've never seen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hot take: I'm kinda tired of every time they bring up the whole "you gotta show your vulnerability" thing and I'm mad they are doing it to Kerri who is obviously a person who has a very specific image of herself that she is striving for. I honestly believe that letting herself be ugly, messy or generally masc would trigger some massive dysphoria. I know Sonique did Steven Tyler in All Stars but that was a big moment for her plus she's had like what a decade to get that poo poo sorted out.

Anyhoo also mad that another PR queen goes home early but that's kind of like to be expected now even though you really don't want it to happen. Kerri also absolutely lost that lipsync but production made sure the camera was planted directly on her face most of the time so you wouldn't actually get a big picture of what Alyssa was going.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
It's refreshing that both teams managed to put together something cohesive and consistently funny for the main challenge. For once.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

This all day. I didn't cop this energy from her in the promo material, but the charisma is off the charts. I started as a Kornbread or bust person, but right now this is looking like another Bob Season 8 runaway with everyone else desperately trying to meet Angeria on her level.

honestly feel like its a 3 way race between Willow, Angeria, and Kornbread with Kornbread fading a little right now. id be thrilled with any of them. it feels like the first season in a minute where i genuinely like nearly the whole cast and love the most talented queens

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was a nice month of only having a single show on the air, I hope it-

Time for a new Drag Race franchise! UK vs The World is the excuse for an International All-Stars competition, bringing together a group of memorable queens (and Cheryl Hole :v: j/k ilu Cheryl) for a show so powerful it brought back a television channel!

Episodes are broadcast Tuesdays at 9 pm London time on BBC Three (4 pm Eastern, 1 pm Pacific on WoW Presents Plus).

Pangina wins or we riot.

Baga Chipz - 31 - East London, England

Blu Hydrangea - 25 - Belfast, Northern Ireland

Cheryl Hole - 27 - Essex, England

Janey Jacké - 28 - Volendam, North Holland

Jimbo - 37 - Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Jujubee - 36 - Boston, Massachusetts

Lemon - 25 - New York City, New York

Mo Heart - 34 - Kansas City, Missouri

Pangina Heals - 32 - Bangkok, Central Thailand

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Going for my Canadian queens!!! 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This challenge was such a fever dream. I fuckin love it.

https://i.imgur.com/6XvUpmd.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/emcffzS.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Rik9fpg.mp4

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 31, 2022

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I missed Deja as a cow flying through the background in the tornado photoshoot (see the last few frames of the third clip) - wonderful.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
I kind of live for Cornbread crying on the runway, being handled with care and then Alyssa getting into her feelings and Ru just cutting it off like you're great I brought you for a reason calm down(you're going home today XD)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kicked Throat posted:

I kind of live for Cornbread crying on the runway, being handled with care and then Alyssa getting into her feelings and Ru just cutting it off like you're great I brought you for a reason calm down(you're going home today XD)

It's because Ru is doing what she thinks will make a good show, she doesn't actually care about the feelings of any of the queens.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kicked Throat posted:

Hahaha I commented the same thing to my friend. Cornbread gets to set up her inner saboteur storyline, Alyssa gets told this is showbiz baby, suck it up. Ru doesn't eat anymore and is just sustained by Emmys, she can't afford to waste any time.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hug in a Can posted:

I missed Deja as a cow flying through the background in the tornado photoshoot (see the last few frames of the third clip) - wonderful.

One I didn't catch before was Daya swinging Maddy around like a ragdoll in the werkroom chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
There were so many little details in Team Maddy’s teaser… like Maddy doing the Arrested Development chicken dance. And Deja’s thumbs up was so hilarious to me for some reason. I want to watch THAT show.