Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gem_ste/status/1487356467489357826?t=-04XiFlVPPsvp2nNhtuI_A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

The vanishing slow trains of China
The time-honoured ritual of a long, slow, train journey home for Chinese New Year is under threat — both from Covid restrictions and the rapid expansion of high-speed rail

yesterday

The largest human migration in the world used to take place in the days leading up to Chinese New Year — which this year falls on February 1. Millions crossed vast distances to reunite with their families, many travelling on long-haul trains, sometimes for days. The last New Year of this kind was February 2019, when I joined a packed train heading from frozen Beijing to China’s warm southern province, Yunnan. It was a journey of 35 hours.

Perhaps it was only on these train trips that all the languages and diversity of China from north to south were drawn together so intimately. This seems unthinkable today, with Covid restrictions meaning many Chinese are unable to travel home for a third year in a row. Back then though, passengers were crammed in among piles of presents and luggage, sipping flasks of tea and Tsingtao beer, all buzzing for the holiday. In my compartment, a group of workers from Hunan province played Go noisily while passing round bags of melon seeds. These have a subtle roasted flavour and the chewing promotes reflection — perfect for the long hours on the train.

Progress was slow because we were aboard a lupiche, one of the “green skin trains” built in the 1950s under Mao. Characterised by heavy ironwork, clanking doors and faded yellow interiors, these old trains have lumbered across the vast country innumerable times — a slice of China perpetually in motion. Inside, they smell of metal, oil, and cigarettes from the smokers who lurk between carriages.

But lupiche are fast disappearing in favour of high-speed trains. In the past five years, about 20,000km of new high-speed track has been laid; earlier this month the China State Railway Group announced the total had now reached more than 40,000km, enough to stretch around the equator. Meanwhile, China recently debuted a Maglev bullet train capable of reaching a speed of 600km per hour. Tickets are much pricier; the Beijing to Kunming high-speed train can cost double my Y600 (£70) slow-sleeper ticket. Like many on the lupiche, I was travelling deeper into the countryside than the high-speed lines reach, to stay with a friend’s family for Chinese New Year.

My presence as the only foreigner on the train stoked mild interest, mostly from parents who passed me their children for free English lessons. In exchange they gave me advice on New Year etiquette: take piles of presents, especially fruit. Be careful on the baijiu — strong rice liquor. Always toast your glass below that of your host, it’s a mark of respect. Don’t forget to wear red underwear, it brings good luck! I was so absorbed by the train’s interior world that for hours I forgot to look out of the window.

When I did, the view was initially disappointing. The landscapes of Hebei province were flat and drab, smoke poured from factory chimneys. But by late afternoon we passed through the cliffs of Xingtai and into Henan province, where mountains began to loom, promising beautiful views that we would miss during the night. Pots of noodles were passed around as dusk fell, filling the train with umami fragrance. At last, the sun touched down over the lakes of Xinyang, and the train became quiet.

A strict ritual occurred at bedtime. Everyone wedged themselves into one of three tiers of bunks, feet dangling into the open corridor. A guard passed through to check tickets, followed by a man with a mop. Lights went out down the train, a few last cigarettes flared in the gaps between carriages. I was soon rocked to sleep by the motion of the lupiche lumbering on through the dark.

w e awoke to a different world, somewhere close to Huaihua in Hunan province. Everything was strange and new: the green earth dissolving into mist, haybales piled up like stupas, fishermen hauling nets in gleaming rivers. By midday, we were crawling through Guizhou, a province famous for its spectacular limestone orogeny. All around us, white peaks rose up like giant stalagmites. The region is also a centre of rice cultivation and its hills shone iridescent, tiled in hundreds of water paddies, farmers treading lightly along their seams.

Faces on the train changed as the language softened to southern dialect. Many people were wearing the intricately embroidered clothes of the ethnic minorities in the Guizhou and Yunnan region. Their distinctive dress has been captured by the photographer Qian Haifeng who travelled 150,000 kilometers across China on the slow trains, documenting his subjects with a rare intimacy — the kind encouraged by these long journeys. Indeed, Qian rarely ever points the camera out of the window.

Meanwhile I had become a windowseat-hogger, gazing out at the landscapes with the greed of an enchanted child. At midnight we finally arrived in Kunming, where the air felt warm and clean. 38 hours ago I’d been skating on a frozen lake in Beijing, now the tropical forests of Vietnam were close.

I spent the two-week holiday with a friend’s family among Yunnan’s mountainous rice terraces, consuming sublime amounts of home-brewed baijiu and festive foods. On New Year’s Eve, we watched the fireworks blazing above a mist-filled valley. There had been views I’d missed on the night train passage — Wuchang, Yueyang, Changsha — beautiful places to which I wished to return. Perhaps the line will still be open next time I go.

remember the narrative in 2020 about how nasty China was for allowing New Years to happen?

https://www.tillis.senate.gov/services/files/BD2BB031-829F-4172-9AD6-F383CF68462A posted:

The Chinese government sacrificed its own citizens, refusing to inform vulnerable people of the risk of human transmission and preventing them from protecting themselves when there was still time. They arrested and silenced the doctor who first raised the alarm about the danger and severity of the virus and the widespread risk it posed. They immorally ordered laboratories to destroy test samples and stop testing, intentionally crippling any early efforts to study this virus and develop necessary preventative measures. Then the CCP deliberately denied and downplayed the potential for human to human transmission, despite having clear evidence to the contrary, even encouraging the Chinese people to travel to celebrate the New Year. The CCP also exploited its influence at the World Health Organization (WHO), forcing the WHO to parrot its deceptive statements, assuring the rest of the world that there was no cause for concern.

i swear it gets harder and harder to find old articles on Google. they’re there if you have the links but it’s harder to find them and many times it just takes you to the latest corona stories.this only seems to apply to the lying fake news media though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKyiv/status/1487034870916386828

Well, time for war, I guess.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Agrajag posted:

what the movie?

Nah Lockheed bribed the German government to buy it's lovely planes that crashed constantly due to severe defects and then were caught when one of the planes lawn darted.

Nothing happened.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I thought both photo and video looked photoshopped but I guess they are real.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/f-35-crash-video-south-china-sea-navy-confirms-authenticity/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wondering who are all these folks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

Well, time for war, I guess.

https://twitter.com/ThinkPrague/status/1487172977334669313

lmfao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
and now the media is painting Zelensky as a comedian who is not taking the situation seriously enough and now needs to be ousted

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gently caress. I agree, that is the peak of the genre.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

gradenko_2000 posted:

To replace the Avro Arrow

:canada:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I'm not gonna check, but I'm probably right when I say kind and magnanimous US of A loves kicking their sworn "allies" down to corner the arms export industry

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

To replace the Avro Arrow

jfc I think Apache Arrow and Apache Avro are named after this plane

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

bohemian mindset.

Edit: Slow trains are cool because they rock you to sleep at night and you can vibe during the day by looking outside the window.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 11:27 on Jan 29, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

genericnick posted:

gently caress. I agree, that is the peak of the genre.

this is still king for me:

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1483877670068756483?t=fTg-Jx5-jiNQ3hKFsYeZIw&s=19

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Palladium posted:

I'm not gonna check, but I'm probably right when I say kind and magnanimous US of A loves kicking their sworn "allies" down to corner the arms export industry

It was actually more that the project dragged on too long, to the point where the Avro, which was a mid-range interceptor, was no longer useful for modern theatres of war. Combine that with domestic politics (it was a project greenlit by the Liberal Party) and its ballooning costs, and the stage was set for the Tory PM Diefenbaker to cancel the project despite being fairly close to completion. It was an impressive feat of engineering at the time, but it was designed for a previous era of combat, and while there's always been speculation that the US had a hand it the project's shuttering, there were enough domestic reasons that every serious scholar I've read scoffs at the idea.

Now what happened after, where just about every Canadian aerospace engineer had to go south of the border to find work, leaving the domestic aerospace industry effectively dead... That might have more legs as a conspiracy theory.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

mawarannahr posted:

wondering who are all these folks

I think stopfake was mentioned on radio war nerd either in one of the NED episodes or the recent Ukraine one, but I can't remember the specifics of it

looking at their website they take money from the Atlantic council and the British foreign office

e: speaking of Western imperialist catspaws this one is a full house of CIA funding

https://twitter.com/ClagzMccla/status/1487175575332704256?t=RMLiUXxhdR7vPDnuf3N5Tw&s=19

XMNN has issued a correction as of 12:06 on Jan 29, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How much does it actually cost to take the train in China from say Beijing to Shanghai? For comparison for me to get from Newcastle to London, one of the highest speed trains in the UK if not the highest, costs £55 and takes 3 hours 15 minutes if I were to go on Monday. This is also extraordinarily cheap for the UK for that kind of distance.

If I wanted to go Bristol instead it's 6 hours and £90 lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Palladium posted:

and now the media is painting Zelensky as a comedian who is not taking the situation seriously enough and now needs to be ousted

Seems like only yesterday they were calling him the Colbert of Ukraine.

lmao

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
But Winnie the Pooh is lovable and brimming with folk wisdom? He's a confident leader who doesn't demand anything, but receives the unwavering loyalty of the people. Are they saying that they love Grandpa Xi, because he is like Winnie the Pooh?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What's this "our territory" poo poo? Ukraine sure, but now they're saying Russia is about to invade USA?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jose posted:

How much does it actually cost to take the train in China from say Beijing to Shanghai? For comparison for me to get from Newcastle to London, one of the highest speed trains in the UK if not the highest, costs £55 and takes 3 hours 15 minutes if I were to go on Monday. This is also extraordinarily cheap for the UK for that kind of distance.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the slow train takes 14 and a half hours and costs ¥177 and up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So not dissimilar on price/time for nearly 3 times the distance. And this would be Vs the only decent train route in the UK pretty much. Newcastle to Bristol is near the same distance as Newcastle to London but takes twice as long

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
this guy has war fever wracking his tiny brain

https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1487124922115706888?t=LoN7aihptgnaVzCIflwPag&s=19
https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1487128084142825482?t=aEDjGjt9nE17Nmi185f_dg&s=19

So you say Putin might be building up troops to look like an invasion might be coming as part of a negotiating strategy, rather than for an actual planned invasion? And yet he's doing things that me and all my state department friends are saying is a sure indicator that an invasion might be coming? I don't think so, tankie

"if Putin just wants us to think he might invade, why would he do this thing that makes me think he might invade"

e: https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1487347379992944640?t=6XVpGM7Puicc_s8RXElyuw&s=19
https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1487361829995266048?t=0Rw0GV8MnOyk_Jt1PSDD6g&s=19
lol

XMNN has issued a correction as of 13:17 on Jan 29, 2022

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

China is genociding slow trains

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Red and Black posted:

lol my pea brain thought it was about the HSRs going slower because of covid + CNY but LMAO now

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jose posted:

That's not that bad, is it? Something like 400km? Looking up our best line for about 250km:

Though train travel gets a lot cheaper if you do it often enough to justify a time card, down here.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pinky swears made by politicians decades ago is all International Law is really based on.

Watching every Atlanticist foreign policy hack psych themselves out on their own koolaid rules.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/KyleTrainEmoji/status/1487203957256507394?t=qWXk4WQBcrOfFGuL8qlJig&s=19

:china::xickos:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you love to see it

https://twitter.com/KyleTrainEmoji/status/1487203957256507394?s=20&t=NHXapJ7yzvzXQW6qZ7ulaA

genericnick posted:

That's not that bad, is it? Something like 400km? Looking up our best line for about 250km:

Though train travel gets a lot cheaper if you do it often enough to justify a time card, down here.

it all becomes heavily dependent on where you want to go. Bear in mind both of these journeys are similar distances to London but require rerouting through London

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Literally lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Are we doing this again?
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1487183856369242115?cxt=HHwWhsCsqdD1xKMpAAAA

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I could go for some poutine right now what’s the problem

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Red and Black posted:

Carl Zha, show yourself!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

when has modern Russia even started a war? Being very generous, Georgia, Ukraine, Chechnya, then Afghanistan and hell let's throw in the 56/68 Warsaw pact interventions. Which of these fit that supposed pattern?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Are we doing this again?

Anti-Russian racism isn't sophisticated enough, so we have to bring in the reactionary intellectual ringers.

The Russian fears Le Pedophile Raciste

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

when has modern Russia even started a war? Being very generous, Georgia, Ukraine, Chechnya, then Afghanistan and hell let's throw in the 56/68 Warsaw pact interventions. Which of these fit that supposed pattern?

There’s that right wing revisionist history eastern europeans like that blames Stalin for WW2. Something about the Red Army being poised to invade and Barbarossa being a preemptive strike in self defence.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Mali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There are suspicions that Russia was involved in the 2020 coup.