Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/hagalabo/status/1482351583115444226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my vortex race 3 gave out, and the backup board was more janky than i remeber it to be. surprisingly, a local shop even had multiple attractive options.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just moved to a keychron k2 from an es-87 and never knew how much my eyes hated me for using an unbacklit keyboard in a dark room

only beef with the new one is the lovely usb cable they ship with puts my usb ports in reset loops

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am continuing to love my Kinesis Gaming Freestyle Edge by Kinesis op. I am totally not jealous of the newer RGB version. not one bit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nudgenudgetilt posted:

just moved to a keychron k2 from an es-87 and never knew how much my eyes hated me for using an unbacklit keyboard in a dark room

only beef with the new one is the lovely usb cable they ship with puts my usb ports in reset loops

did you do your own lego bit? i kind of want to get keychron q1 later this year and assemble something to my own taste, so i wonder what’s their quality like

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

did you do your own lego bit? i kind of want to get keychron q1 later this year and assemble something to my own taste, so i wonder what’s their quality like

this was fully assembled and ready to use. solid build quality so far, but I'm less than a week in.

I built an ergodox from kit a few years back and that satisfied a lifetimes worth of desires to assemble keyboards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nudgenudgetilt posted:

this was fully assembled and ready to use. solid build quality so far, but I'm less than a week in.

I built an ergodox from kit a few years back and that satisfied a lifetimes worth of desires to assemble keyboards.

huh, was it that bad? was your kit the one that requires soldering?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

huh, was it that bad? was your kit the one that requires soldering?

yeah, it was one of the early early kits. it came as a pair of PCBs, bags of switches and other components, and a bunch of acrylic you stacked into a case.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, it was one of the early early kits. it came as a pair of PCBs, bags of switches and other components, and a bunch of acrylic you stacked into a case.

i see. im definitely not interested in soldering, but stuff like https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q1-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard-knob-version?variant=39610590167129 makes the entry point into custom keyboards much more interesting to me - you basically 1) screw stabilizers into pcb 2) mount switches onto stabs 3) program layout, and then spend x hours agonizing about your keycap choice. everything is hotswappable, and all the "boring" assembly is premade for you, like silicon case gaskets etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i guess you do need to lube poo poo, thats definitely time consuming (unless you buy prelubed)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i guess you do need to lube poo poo, thats definitely time consuming (unless you buy prelubed)

my ducky one 2 RGB tkl sounds so much better after it got lubed, the extreme ping is gone

by natural hand grease and cannabis oil getting in the stabs after a year of use

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://mintlodica.com/collections/magic-girl

magic girl is getting a rerun, if anyone is interested

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
since I got my board the whole universe of mech boards has exploded.

and yet the switches I have - cherry clears - are still as uncommon as when I got this board

I don't think I could handle another type of cherry style switch, they're all worse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like my reds just fine, says someone who has only ever used reds

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well there was that old keyboard I had with blues, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember much

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blues are unenjoyable. clacky keybaords like a model m are glorious, but clicky is.. ugh

what I probably enjoy most about clears is the resistant weight. its high. thats all I know (except it's super nice to type on)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dioxazine posted:

https://mintlodica.com/collections/magic-girl

magic girl is getting a rerun, if anyone is interested

these look good. Do they make any versions for the fellas, by any chance

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my partner got a key switch demo board thing. I honestly like greens a lot but clears are really nice too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

basically I have tasted other keys and I don’t like my reds as much now.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

“reds are fine” says yosposter who has never known the gentle caress of a non linear key

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

“reds are fine” says yosposter who has never known the gentle caress of a non linear key

90% of my mech kb usage is slapping 1000 buttons a second in an mmorpg. i aint writing war and peace over here

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

browns are a p good middle ground

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

clears in the boardroom greens in the bedroom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

browns are a p good middle ground

too light

I make too many typos. same with blues

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

clears in the boardroom greens in the bedroom

when people say they like browns it’s only because they haven’t tried clears yet

I am yet to experience greens. maybe before I die

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

these look good. Do they make any versions for the fellas, by any chance

i don't think mintlodica does.

varmilo's summit might be attractive to you? it's very rugged and manly!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

varmilo makes quality stuff

re: switches

imo linear for gaming, with reds being the most resistant switch you could want, and tactile for typing work (preferably with variable force key weights, eg like in many topre real force boards)

clicky keyboard are for clowns, unless you’re leaving a toxic open office with a bang (of the space bar on your buckling spring ibm model m)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I have a Unicomp tkl

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

still waiting on the ePBT aesthetic to ship out before i get a board, switch and case - coming on a year soon! got the mat at least! and also waiting on the matching usb sleeve too :/

laste update was back in jan and the colours were apparently off

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111589.msg3103673#msg3103673

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

I have a Unicomp tkl

I bought a unicomp like 10 years ago and was really disappointed with the build quality. despite supposedly coming off the old lexmark line it just felt like a cheap knock-off. burs left over from injection molding, odd coloring, etc

have they stepped up their game at all? prices don't look all that far off from just getting older ibm/lexmark hardware off ebay

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i like my clicky keyboard and use it for gaming. speed golds. just need good noise reduction so it doesn't trigger vc

silent blacks on zoom because then i can get away with typing while other people are talking

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

cinci zoo sniper posted:

varmilo makes quality stuff

re: switches

imo linear for gaming, with reds being the most resistant switch you could want, and tactile for typing work (preferably with variable force key weights, eg like in many topre real force boards)

clicky keyboard are for clowns, unless you’re leaving a toxic open office with a bang (of the space bar on your buckling spring ibm model m)

can't get the topre squishies in a split board... rip.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
For the love of god please try something that isn't a scratchy Cherry switch! Prelubed Holy Panda switches have been available since like 2018!! Kailh makes a billion cheap switches that are way more interesting! Check out some box switches idk!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk I mean I already have a keyboard at home

maybe I should start christchurch keyboard shop so I can show off all sorts of keyboards and keys and go bankrupt lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

can't get the topre squishies in a split board... rip.

topres are a cool switch, it’s very pleasant to type on. i had a leopold fc980c with them before (not my photo)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

topres are a cool switch, it’s very pleasant to type on. i had a leopold fc980c with them before (not my photo)

i have one of those its great topre forever amen

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard/93841ngdwr1h?cid=msft_web_collection&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

rubber domes get out

the most glorious keyboard you will ever use is https://wooting.store/products/wooting-two-he-full-size-analog-keyboard if you can get one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a leopold 980 as well though it has silent reds

i spilled soda on it when it was 3 days old and was sad. then i bought a bag of switches and broke out the soldering iron and fixed it and now im careful around it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one hundred and ninety four pounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
turn your scale off