Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I just discovered the Everest Edition R22 by optibikes:

https://optibike.com/shop/r22-everest/

My next ebike purchase will be in the "super e-mtb" category like the R22. What are some other bikes in that category that is similar? Basically I want something in the form factor of a mountain bike, be off-road capable, and have the biggest battery and powerfulest motor possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

School of How posted:

My next ebike purchase will be in the "super e-mtb" category like the R22. What are some other bikes in that category that is similar? Basically I want something in the form factor of a mountain bike, be off-road capable, and have the biggest battery and powerfulest motor possible.

For $18,000 dollars, you would think it would include things like a kickstand-- instead of making it a $125 option. Is this a brand owned by Porsche/VAG?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

School of How posted:

This company gives you paint options but doesn't let you spec the fork or shock or tires. Their priorities on your behalf are grossly misplaced. You're better off with a full suspension ebike from the brands you were already looking at -- Specialized or Trek.
You said you ride daily -- why take on the extra battery weight if you'll be able to recharge nightly?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
https://wattwagons.com/collections/multi-terrain

These seem pretty customizable.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

This company gives you paint options but doesn't let you spec the fork or shock or tires. Their priorities on your behalf are grossly misplaced. You're better off with a full suspension ebike from the brands you were already looking at -- Specialized or Trek.
You said you ride daily -- why take on the extra battery weight if you'll be able to recharge nightly?

I don't care if there are no fork options or not. As long as the fork it comes with is good, thats all I care about. From what I can tel;l, the componets that come with it are pretty good. I already have a trek e-bike that I bought at my lubs (Verve+ 2). The R22 has like triple the torque, and 5X the battery capacity. 18K is a lot, but when you think about how expensive offroad SUV's are, and how this is almost as capable as those, then 18K starts to sound like a deal.

The only downside of the R22 is that to get one made for you (all optibikes are custom made) its like a 1 year waiting list.

School of How fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 25, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If your budget is already $lol, why not a Riese & Muller Superdelite or two? https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/superdelite/

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Speaking of R&M, I have had my eye on their Multicharger for a couple years now. It's got all the bells and whistles that I'd want on a bike, but are they worth the money? The Tern HSD also has everything I am looking for, but it's $3k less...

I currently have a Radrunner and, while I like it a lot, I have some quality issues with it. Plus I definitely need gears and I think it's like to have a middrive while I'm at it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

School of How posted:

I don't care if there are no fork options or not. As long as the fork it comes with is good, thats all I care about. From what I can tel;l, the componets that come with it are pretty good.
The components are good but not really thought out or specced for "be off-road capable," whatever you mean by that.
Not much of the 18k is going toward making the bike a better MTB, basically.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you want the most powerful most range get an e-moto not an 92lb eeb. A double crown bike that looks like a old V10 is gonna suck rear end to pedal even before it's 92lbs, and tbh it's probably gonna suck even with a throttle. It's not really a mtb in any sense of the word, it might do a lovely job of slowly cruising gravel roads but uhhhhhh there's a lot of better things to spend that money on. You could get a nice eeb and a nice moto, or two eebs, or two motos.

Also that thing is dumb as hell regardless of function.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

If your budget is already $lol, why not a Riese & Muller Superdelite or two? https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/superdelite/

Dang almost 70 lbs though

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I was going to drop a ton of money on essentially an edirtbike I’d just buy a sur ron and have a lot of left over cash for when I bin it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

School of How posted:

I already have a trek e-bike that I bought at my lubs (Verve+ 2). The R22 has like triple the torque, and 5X the battery capacity.

Have you tried just going off road with your Verve+? What kinda terrain are we talking about here?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Have you tried just going off road with your Verve+? What kinda terrain are we talking about here?

No, where I live, all the cool places to visit are only accessible via dirt/gravel road which get massively "washboarded": https://blog.midwestind.com/how-gravel-roads-get-washboarding/

I tried going along one of these washboarded dirt roads and it just really really sucks. It might also suck with a mountain bike with front and back suspension, but it should suck much less. Also, more speed also helps with the washboarding, too

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If I was going to drop a ton of money on essentially an edirtbike I’d just buy a sur ron and have a lot of left over cash for when I bin it

I've looked into the Sur Ron, but it seems to be made for thrashing and going fast, rather than long distance endurance. Also, I think it's too big to fit onto my bike rack. The Optibike will probably fit. Also, don't dirtbikes require a special kind of license to operate on roads? With an eMTB, I never have to worry about that kind of thing.

Safety Dance posted:

Ugh, I hate bikes like this. It looks like they started development by asking a designer to make a drawling of cool looking bike, and then gave that drawing to some engineers and then they were told to make it a reality. I think that's a terrible way to design anything. The optibike seems like it was designed for performance first, and then design last, which is how it should be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

School of How posted:

It might also suck with a mountain bike with front and back suspension, but it should suck much less. Also, more speed also helps with the washboarding, too

You don't need 200mm of travel to soak up washboard. A lower travel suspension might do a better job, even, at the speeds you want to run those washboards at.

I looked at some of the promo videos Optibike had. This is the model you're looking at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9pShsJpNQ&t=506s
A downhill fork would allow you to take the descent shown flat out, provided you had the skill. If you're going down at 10mph like shown, a much more modest bike would completely handle it.

This owner is showing a different bike and absolutely ripping on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz44okaJbek&t=230s
Whether or not that's safe to ride that trail that fast, that's about what the bike is for -- just blasting relatively smooth trail where the weight of the bike won't be to big of a disadvantage.
Notice how the owner talks about suspension setup and parts for most of the video. He definitely knows what he's doing and is relying on that setup to keep him riding past all the trees that would kill him if he slammed into them.

By all means, if 18k is what you want to spend, go for it. It just doesn't seem like you know what you want out of the bike past "it's got big travel and a huge battery."

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

School of How posted:

No, where I live, all the cool places to visit are only accessible via dirt/gravel road which get massively "washboarded": https://blog.midwestind.com/how-gravel-roads-get-washboarding/

I tried going along one of these washboarded dirt roads and it just really really sucks. It might also suck with a mountain bike with front and back suspension, but it should suck much less. Also, more speed also helps with the washboarding, too

IMO washboard type roads always suck on a bicycle no matter the suspension travel, they aren't really sprung right nor have the right sprung/unsprung mass ratios to handle high frequency chatter like that without a lot of feedback to the rider.

School of How posted:

I've looked into the Sur Ron, but it seems to be made for thrashing and going fast, rather than long distance endurance. Also, I think it's too big to fit onto my bike rack. The Optibike will probably fit. Also, don't dirtbikes require a special kind of license to operate on roads? With an eMTB, I never have to worry about that kind of thing.

The Sur Ron is only like 10lbs heavier than the optibike and similar wheelbase, it'll probably fit in your bike rack. Technically the optibike with its throttle and power and max speed is a e-moto, not an eeb. By the letter of the law, you'd need a motorcycle endorsement to ride the optibike on any road, paved or gravel. Youre more likely to get away without having a license on the optibike than the Sur Ron due to pedals, but I think both are classified the same.

School of How posted:

Ugh, I hate bikes like this. It looks like they started development by asking a designer to make a drawling of cool looking bike, and then gave that drawing to some engineers and then they were told to make it a reality. I think that's a terrible way to design anything. The optibike seems like it was designed for performance first, and then design last, which is how it should be.

Thats actually how good products are developed, you start with a design brief which includes users and user experience etc, lay out the overall concept design and constraints, and then move to engineering and development against that concept. Engineer lead products loving suck for end users the vast majority of the time and you can certainly go too far on the design lead side, but something starting with design is usually a good thing. I say this as an engineer working in development of consumer goods and participated in both approaches.

The optibike looks like someone took a old santacruz v10 mold from the back of a truck in china and strapped some batteries to it, it looks terribly designed and engineered tbh. External dropper routing, weird battery positions, no cable integration whatsoever, really weird part specs, etc. You're spending 2x top of the line dirtbike and 1.5x silly spec normal eemtb on what looks like a china alibaba special even though its made in the USA. At the very least get a test ride on it before putting your money down. I'm also super suspect of the 300 miles/30k feet vert claims with absolutely nothing backing them up, wouldn't count on that kind of range.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The video I posted shows riding the 145mi gravelish route on one charge, which is certainly impressive, even at minimal assist settings. Cuz then someone's riding a 80lb bike.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That is impressive, i half watched that video but with the support car I couldn't tell if he charged halfway through the ride or not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

That is impressive, i half watched that video but with the support car I couldn't tell if he charged halfway through the ride or not.

They don't actually come out and say it, but in the comments, their response implies they did it on a single battery (as opposed to optional double battery).

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Has anyone had any experience with Pedego?

My wife is currently thinking about getting an ebike. Her use case is that she's gotten into pet-sitting over the last year and can bike sometimes since all the clients are within a few miles, but she has fatigue issues so some of the local hills really hurt on the single-speed cruiser she has now. It seems like an ebike could be a good fit as it'd let her flatten the hills and carry some more supplies when doing the rounds. She's also a former accountant so she's weirdly eager to figure out all the tax stuff with expenses and the credit.

The reason Pedego has come up is they have a nearby brick-and-mortar store. In particular, she was looking at one of their cruiser-style bikes: https://pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor/

I don't know anything about ebikes and only a little bit about acoustic bikes (bought a gravel bike in November and it owns). Any advice about the brand or the type of bike is appreciated!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Pedego's are a reliable brand and they have a 5 year warranty. I always recommend getting a bike you can see and try in person versus buying online unseen too.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Anyone have experience with retrofit mid drives like Bafang or CYC?
I've been daydreaming about making a stupidly overpowered xc or gravel bike if I somehow come into possession of sufficient funds.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I imagine good torque sensing would be important for loose surfaces. Last I checked only tongshen made retrofit mid drives with torque sensing.

E: I guess there are more now, including cyc.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Uhm, CYC makes an interesting design choice for driving the chain. I don't think I can offer a great opinion on whether or not it is a good choice, but it looks like you will likely have to use a bit more than standard length chain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I personally believe really good pedal assist is impossible unless you have torque sensors in the crank assembly or something similar.
BionX had a load cell in the rear hub and the assist was *extremely* natural. It's still unmatched by anything I've ridden since (shimano, bosch, number of chinese cludge jobs, yamaha). QC and service were poo poo so RIP.

Invalido posted:

Both my e-bikes currently sit on Schwalbe winter marathon +. I've tried different brands over the years (Suomi, Continental, random chinesium) but the schwalbes are a good compromise for my use case. Good snow grip, good stud retention if treated right, OK rubber life expectancy, decent rolling resistance and acceptable grip on ice - the last two are highly related to the stud pattern. The real clincher is the puncture resistance which is great. On the downside they're heavy, not cheap and a bit stiff and cumbersome to mount/dismount.
The biggest downside to winter marathons is they'll reliably let the studs through the rubber after a couple of seasons. I've never worn one down.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 29, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

The biggest downside to winter marathons is they'll reliably let the studs through the rubber after a couple of seasons. I've never worn one down.
Yeah the old non-plus winter marathons would puncture the inner tube when the studs worked through on the inside. The newer plus ones have the colored anti puncture layer as stud backing and it seems to not be a problem anymore. I wore out the threads on my first such bakfiets front tire and on replacement the rest was in good shape. Studs were worn too of course but I had only lost a few of them.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

You sure that's 26" wheels? You have options, but none of them are ideal. What are you looking to spend?

Actually yeah i took a look again and they're 27 x 1/4 tires on 25(?) Inch rims (idk, old bike tire sizes make no sense to me). The fork is also super narrow at the top, so wider wheels with hub motors might be not doable.

In terms of money, I've got more money than space and i love my current bike too much to throw it out for a battery.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

If you know how to build wheels, a cheap decent full setup incl battery from BMSbattery.com is about $550 shipped. if you want them to build the wheel for you and ship it, more like $650-$700 iirc.

actual quality parts and support would be at least double.

Thanks! I'll dig into this a bit. If I could get a wheel that fits this might be suiting...

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 30, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Actually yeah i took a look again and they're 27 x 1/4 tires on 25(?) Inch rims (idk, old bike tire sizes make no sense to me).
27 x 1 1/4? If so, you're on what's called 27" wheels, or ISO 630, actually a bit bigger than the modern 700C/ISO 622 standard.

quote:

The fork is also super narrow at the top, so wider wheels with hub motors might be not doable.
You'd just need to make sure the wheel builder has access to a 27" rim to lace the hub motor to.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Yeah the old non-plus winter marathons would puncture the inner tube when the studs worked through on the inside. The newer plus ones have the colored anti puncture layer as stud backing and it seems to not be a problem anymore. I wore out the threads on my first such bakfiets front tire and on replacement the rest was in good shape. Studs were worn too of course but I had only lost a few of them.
Ah-ha! That's great info, my old tire was non-plus, we'll see what the plus wears like.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

27 x 1 1/4? If so, you're on what's called 27" wheels, or ISO 630, actually a bit bigger than the modern 700C/ISO 622 standard.

You'd just need to make sure the wheel builder has access to a 27" rim to lace the hub motor to.

oh that's great to hear. Okay, this is definitely my next project now. Thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would be neat if they were matching set: horizontal top tube (me) and step through (her) with a nice paint job, and/or classically styled (interpret this how you want) basically not the super ugly ones with black plastic ebike warts growing out from every which way

Budget $1000-3200 ea

Purpose: bike path 7 miles from house to beach, 95% bike path, plus kid either on back of bike or in a trailer

Nice to have: Bosch/Shimano gear

Requirements: my wife has to not hate biking to the beach, she's average athletic ability. I think this means she needs at least a three speed bike. It's pretty flat where we live, less than 60 foot elevation change across 7 miles if I did my math right. 20mph or whatever the standard limit is, is plenty

I think the van moof S3 looks like a pretty good option at $2400? And then there's this random Chinese thing for $800 which is a much easier to swallow price

https://kbobike.com/products/road-electric-bike?variant=37170888966306

But not seeing any mixte style bikes for my wife, maybe she can just get used to a top tube, but she has a history of crashing her bike on flat ground so I want something she can dismount without twisting her ankle

Seems like there's a huge price range difference, I think this is an area where you get what you pay for? I don't think we need anything too fancy but don't want a pile of poo poo that I'm gonna be wrenching on every month to keep running

Edit: mixte like this, but not $5000, yes I realize what price range/quality that lemond commands, just an example

https://lemond.com/dutch

Edit 2: I think I want a mid-drive unit, if it fits in our budget?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 31, 2022

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Purpose: bike path 7 miles from house to beach, 95% bike path, plus kid either on back of bike or in a trailer

Requirements: my wife has to not hate biking to the beach, she's average athletic ability. I think this means she needs at least a three speed bike. It's pretty flat where we live, less than 60 foot elevation change across 7 miles if I did my math right. 20mph or whatever the standard limit is, is plenty

Keep in mind most if not all of the kid trailers and seats I have seen have a max speed limit of 10-15mph for safety reasons. We looked around and the fastest I saw was 15mph. So even if the bike can go 20 you probably shouldnt with a kid on the back.

Maybe someone else has seen one with a higher speed limit though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good call out, all though I suspect getting my wife to 12 let alone 15 is going to be a struggle

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You know her better than we do, but you might be shocked at how effortless it is to go 20 on some e-bikes.

Do you have the opportunity to test ride some bikes in your area?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for specific recommendations. I put about 6000 miles on my bike as a commuter over about a decade so I'm not totally obtuse about bikes, however I haven't ever ridden an electric bike that I can think of

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Looking for specific recommendations. I put about 6000 miles on my bike as a commuter over about a decade so I'm not totally obtuse about bikes, however I haven't ever ridden an electric bike that I can think of

I got one of these about a month ago and really like it. But it's obviously an ebike. But the fat tires eat up gravel and sand and dirt trails no problem. I've been carrying the baby 5-10 miles a day on it without trouble as well. Average speed with the kid is usually around 11mph. Average speed when I'm riding to work is about 17mph. I've put a bit over 200 miles on it so far. And they have a step thru model.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrover-plus-electric-fat-tire-bike

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

I got one of these about a month ago and really like it. But it's obviously an ebike. But the fat tires eat up gravel and sand and dirt trails no problem. I've been carrying the baby 5-10 miles a day on it without trouble as well. Average speed with the kid is usually around 11mph. Average speed when I'm riding to work is about 17mph. I've put a bit over 200 miles on it so far. And they have a step thru model.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrover-plus-electric-fat-tire-bike

I did a test-ride on one of those a week or so ago and had a great time. It was super fun.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Really looking for a classic horizontal top tube style. I'm sure there's some advantage to those other top tube shapes but basically I want something that looks kind a 1980s puegot road bike or a 1990s specialized rockhopper geometry

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would be neat if they were matching set: horizontal top tube (me) and step through (her) with a nice paint job, and/or classically styled (interpret this how you want) basically not the super ugly ones with black plastic ebike warts growing out from every which way

Budget $1000-3200 ea

I think the van moof S3 looks like a pretty good option at $2400? And then there's this random Chinese thing for $800 which is a much easier to swallow price

https://kbobike.com/products/road-electric-bike?variant=37170888966306

But not seeing any mixte style bikes for my wife, maybe she can just get used to a top tube, but she has a history of crashing her bike on flat ground so I want something she can dismount without twisting her ankle

Seems like there's a huge price range difference, I think this is an area where you get what you pay for? I don't think we need anything too fancy but don't want a pile of poo poo that I'm gonna be wrenching on every month to keep running

Edit: mixte like this, but not $5000, yes I realize what price range/quality that lemond commands, just an example

https://lemond.com/dutch

This is sort of in-between step-through and not, my wife is okay with it. Great bike overall. If you have a CostCo membership it's only $2800. https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current?variant=33056754434125

Big selling points are extremely low maintenance, class 3 optional, great value overall. Question marks mostly are around Priority being a relatively new company, so will they last 30+ years for customer service & facilitating finding replacement parts for the less name-brand motor.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
Specialized has a pretty broad selection under their Turbo label, including several mixte frames. It’s at the the upper end of your range, but they’re solid bikes, and mid drives too.

Hadlock posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Academician Nomad posted:

This is sort of in-between step-through and not, my wife is okay with it. Great bike overall. If you have a CostCo membership it's only $2800. https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current?variant=33056754434125
2800 for a bike with a no-name motor is kinda meh?