Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Sandweed posted:

Ubi also hosed up and used a marketplace where you can't buy anonymously so the cryptobros couldn't pump the price up with fake sales.

This seems to be the same reason the GBTC trust trades at a discount to the bitcoins it holds.

Turns out if you have to use your name and REAL MONEY to buy crypto, the price is complete garbage. If you get to wash trade and use "fully backed" stable coins, the price soars.

WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

coelomate posted:

WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN?!

Whatever it is, it's good for bitcoin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1487343389536313344

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
cheetahs never win

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
m'eth

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Debate and/or discuss:

Disruptor posted:

I'm out. This place is beyond anything remotely approaching rational or constructive.

Good work with the Cosbycoin hack, which is what brought me here in the first place.

Resume your circlejerk.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's been over 10 years...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

EorayMel posted:

Debate and/or discuss:

We should release an NFT of Cryptothread ragequits

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Chalks posted:

gamers just don't understand. this means you can sell your weapons for real money!

what do you mean nobody wants to buy weapons for real money? we're talking about selling here!

sell the weapons to who, ubisoft? loving aquaman??

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Wheany posted:

sell the weapons to who, ubisoft? loving aquaman??

excuse me, aquaman wants actual weapons, not this virtual bullshit

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Programmer Humor posted:

That part got me interested into checking out the technical details of how contracts are actually stored on the chain. Surely this kind of thing could be avoided if you just took some time to read through the actual contract.

However, because contracts are stored as instruction byte code, reading them is not easy. You can either look through a million opcodes, or try to decompile it. Trying to decompile the opensea openstore contract gave me this:

code:
I failed with these: 
#  - safeTransferFrom(address _from, address _to, uint256 _id, uint256 _value, bytes _data)
Hopefully there's nothing in there about marbles, or letting someone else transferring tokens they don't own.

Also, the contract standard for tokens explicitly says that transfers can fail for whatever reason the issuers dreamed up, for "interesting results". So I just don't know about this whole thing about code being law, seems kind of complicated.

actually that's not decompiled (or you'd not have meaningful names), that's the result of the contract owner submitting the source code to etherscan or some other chain explorer website, and then the website compiles the source and checks that the bytecode matches what's on the network

it's not bad decompilation, it's just that the code is that confusing

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Programmer Humor posted:

That part got me interested into checking out the technical details of how contracts are actually stored on the chain. Surely this kind of thing could be avoided if you just took some time to read through the actual contract.

However, because contracts are stored as instruction byte code, reading them is not easy. You can either look through a million opcodes, or try to decompile it. Trying to decompile the opensea openstore contract gave me this:

code:
I failed with these: 
#  - safeTransferFrom(address _from, address _to, uint256 _id, uint256 _value, bytes _data)
Hopefully there's nothing in there about marbles, or letting someone else transferring tokens they don't own.

Also, the contract standard for tokens explicitly says that transfers can fail for whatever reason the issuers dreamed up, for "interesting results". So I just don't know about this whole thing about code being law, seems kind of complicated.

So the end user of these tokens have no practical way of checking if the contract that they're "signing" actually is what the writer says it is? That's insane!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Wisest Moron posted:

So the end user of these tokens have no practical way of checking if the contract that they're "signing" actually is what the writer says it is? That's insane!

You just analyse it line by line. Who here knows what #include does?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Wisest Moron posted:

trustless!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1487578846413172740

Discuss

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bitcoin is the next unvaxxed sperm.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why my towel smell like pfizer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nein!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/curator1of1/status/1487364584516239369

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm betting on piss yellow and poo poo brown.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
see that monkey picture over there? i own a recipt that says that i own all the e2caa2 on it:smuggo:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

This is the laziest one yet. Effectively minting one pixel images.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol. Lmao.
https://twitter.com/curator1of1/status/1487554608671117315

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

This is the laziest one yet. Effectively minting one pixel images.

no you don't mint an nft of a colour, you buy the rights to that colour and if any nfts that use that colour you somehow get money from it

:suicide:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

as ever, you have to marvel at the ingenuity of monetizing something without considering if anyone would actually pay to use it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look, if you mint a photo as an nft you just have to pay like 16 million people a penny each what's the issue

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

today has already been pretty annoying for canadagoons stuck in the capital, like me

knowing this is out there, the collision of the online bullshit I pay attention to the news bullshit I pay attention to, genuinely makes me want to become a terrorist.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
smart contracts: code is law, sorry for your loss

https://old.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/sfz4kw/did_i_just_lose_half_a_million_dollars_by_sending/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

what the gently caress is "wrapped ethereum", feel like i should've heard of it already from some twitter thread of a cryptobro complaining that his girlfriend didn't appreciate getting fake money as an anniversary present even though he wrapped it properly

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

njsykora posted:

what the gently caress is "wrapped ethereum", feel like i should've heard of it already from some twitter thread of a cryptobro complaining that his girlfriend didn't appreciate getting fake money as an anniversary present even though he wrapped it properly

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
well you know how there are a zillion coins on the ethereum network like tether, elon and elontotallynotascam? eth the coin itself is in a different class than those coins so smart contracts have a harder time doing interactions between eth and all those coins

so someone wrote a smart contract that converts between "real" eth and "wrapped" eth coins that follow the standard all other coins use (ERC-20) so you can do stuff like lose all your tokens AND all your eth in one single transaction

basically what this dude did wrong was picking the "transfer" function call instead of the "withdraw" function call, and now the contract owns BOTH his real eth AND his wrapped fake eth

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

now that's the world class efficiency the block chain is known for!

zzz
May 10, 2008
The colors thing reminds me of a failed blockchain project a while back, when bitlords were trying to push this revolutionary new computational model, where your programs on the chain call back to other programs as building blocks, and of course pay royalties for their use, all the way back to the "programs" that supply the bytes 0-255.

What was left unsaid is that ofc the founders wanted to own those programs and collect royalties for all computation anyone ever does, forever.

Just the laziest, dumbest rent seeking scheme ever.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I see that usdc has picked up the tether slack

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

quote:

transaction fees for settled trades are redistributed to Color NFT owners based on the proportion of colors used in the traded NFT.

they'll premine R, G, and B

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we'll leave C, M, Y, and K to those print plebs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

zzz posted:

The colors thing reminds me of a failed blockchain project a while back, when bitlords were trying to push this revolutionary new computational model, where your programs on the chain call back to other programs as building blocks, and of course pay royalties for their use, all the way back to the "programs" that supply the bytes 0-255.

What was left unsaid is that ofc the founders wanted to own those programs and collect royalties for all computation anyone ever does, forever.

Just the laziest, dumbest rent seeking scheme ever.

no it wasn't bytes, it was individual bits, a single computer would just be asked, 1 or 0, and then it would all be combined together to form perfect blockchain generated code

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Setting up an online marketplace where people can own unicode characters and send messages to each other and whenever they do they have to give royalties to the people who own all the characters they used. this is a revolutionary new blockchain venture in the field of monetisation. imagine, you could be the owner of the letter e and people will have to give you royalties every time they send a message using the letter e! which is something they will definitely do, a lot, because you see,

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hmm. Whoso owns that glyph will abhor my utilization of that facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my L, a, b, coins will pwn your lousy coin gamuts :c00l: