Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Kilometers Davis posted:

What’s the garden dlc like? I love gardening and plants etc irl

Weeding is very satisfying, while dealing with moles is very annoying. You can also mow the lawns, add plants and outside decor, etc.

Flipped my first couple of houses, and this game is so drat satisfying. :dance:

Sakurazuka posted:

Let me know how Procession to Calvary is, I've had it in my wish list for awhile and can't decide if it actually looks fun or not lol

I'm horrible at putting my Opinions About Art into words (particularly now that I'm laid up in bed with Covid), but Jim Sterling actually did a video on it a few days ago, if you got eight minutes (and can deal with their voice).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3peC6paBm88

In short, the Style is quite cool. I do agree with the gripe that sometimes the text can be hard to read (combination of font, color, and blending into the backgrounds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh poo poo i thought stranger of paradise was ninth-gen only. hell yeah i'm pumped. i'm not a huge final fantasy head but they have successfully virally marketed this one to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Read After Burning posted:

Weeding is very satisfying, while dealing with moles is very annoying. You can also mow the lawns, add plants and outside decor, etc.

I'm horrible at putting my Opinions About Art into words (particularly now that I'm laid up in bed with Covid), but Jim Sterling actually did a video on it a few days ago, if you got eight minutes (and can deal with their voice).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3peC6paBm88

In short, the Style is quite cool. I do agree with the gripe that sometimes the text can be hard to read (combination of font, color, and blending into the backgrounds).

Cheers sounds right up my alley lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

I think I have this on switch, actually (via my gf)...I keep considering playing it. I also have Thief simulator, which is a bizarrely in-depth view on stealing things from people's houses. Also cooking simulator on PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guerrilla has shown some of what Forbidden West will look like on PS4. Noticably much fuzzier and 30fps, but the image quality and draw distance look incredible.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PinkFittingBoaconstrictor-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BeautifulAthleticGartersnake-mobile.mp4

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
drat, I'm actually quite tempted to get it now instead of waiting for when I eventually get a PS5 in a few years (not a joke about scarcity, I've only had a PS4 for a year and a bit so I won't bother going next-gen for a while)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The original one still looks incredible to this day on a base PS4. It’ll be jaw dropping on all platforms I’m sure. Sony doesn’t usually gently caress around and just let their last gen stuff perform like crap. Plus Guerilla and Naughty Dog are staffed by wizards.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The original one still looks incredible to this day on a base PS4. It’ll be jaw dropping on all platforms I’m sure. Sony doesn’t usually gently caress around and just let their last gen stuff perform like crap. Plus Guerilla and Naughty Dog are staffed by wizards.

I wouldn't mind a remaster of the first three Killzone games (the first one has to be total remake), 2 needing lots of fixing and 3 a coat of paint. But I guess I can endure playing KZ2 on PS3 with the input lag and 3 normally.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

My PS4 refuses to start. Single flash of the power LED and a single beep. Tried different power cable, outled, starting with plugged in controller, leaving it unplugged for a while. Even took the hd out. Same blink and beep.

From what I have read, the PSU is probably dead. Is it worth fixing?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

exquisite tea posted:

Guerrilla has shown some of what Forbidden West will look like on PS4. Noticably much fuzzier and 30fps, but the image quality and draw distance look incredible.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PinkFittingBoaconstrictor-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BeautifulAthleticGartersnake-mobile.mp4

This is PS Pro footage

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't look bad to me, but the way that the game color-codes so much for gameplay reasons so that a lot of the game is kind of just big blocks of primary colors make the aesthetics weird to me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how can copying an update file be so slow, I mean I know I just have a regular ps4, but this 240 MB little patch is going to take like 40 minutes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

actionjackson posted:

how can copying an update file be so slow, I mean I know I just have a regular ps4, but this 240 MB little patch is going to take like 40 minutes

because it has to rebuild the entire gamefile

acksplode
May 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Patching a PS4 game means rewriting the *entire patched install* to disk to make sure it's all contiguous for fast loading. Otherwise the install could get fragmented as it got patched and patched and patched and performance could suffer because the disk has to seek for data. This could cause hitching and pausing in games that depend on streaming stuff from the disk.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok thanks

at this rate it will take 45 minutes, is that about as expected? i think the standard hard drive in there is 5400 rpm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

actionjackson posted:

ok thanks

at this rate it will take 45 minutes, is that about as expected? i think the standard hard drive in there is 5400 rpm

yeah, it's awful, one of the aspects of last gen that everyone is super eager to get away from

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Whenever I see a progress bar it triggers a PTSD flashback to watching a COD patch download in 15 minutes and take over an hour to install.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yeah, it's awful, one of the aspects of last gen that everyone is super eager to get away from

would replacing the hard drive fix the issue?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

An SSD might speed things up, but only sightly because it'll be badly bottlenecked by the SATA2 bus. You just have to live with it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the ps4 pro much of an improvement? or i guess at at that point just get a ps5 (if you can find one)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

is the ps4 pro much of an improvement? or i guess at at that point just get a ps5 (if you can find one)
No, I have a pro and it's the same poo poo. I even have an SSD in it so I guess maybe it takes 58 minutes instead of an hour, but it's still infuriatingly slow.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

My PS4 refuses to start. Single flash of the power LED and a single beep. Tried different power cable, outled, starting with plugged in controller, leaving it unplugged for a while. Even took the hd out. Same blink and beep.

I’d give it a try if it were my PS4. iFixIt does have a few in stock too: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-4/Power_Supplies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

Whenever I see a progress bar it triggers a PTSD flashback to watching a COD patch download in 15 minutes and take over an hour to install.

:negative:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

nitsuga posted:

I’d give it a try if it were my PS4. iFixIt does have a few in stock too: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-4/Power_Supplies

Thanks, I'll probably let someone else repair it for me if it's not too expensive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Is it a wedge PS4? It probably is worth fixing then, I did it on mine and it was fine and cost like $50, was also pretty easy to do with the right screwdriver bit (which itself is hard to get, mind you).

For Slim and Pro, it's actually cheaper to just send it to Sony and have them repair it out of warranty, the PSUs for those are pretty pricey, and only worth getting if Sony outright refuses to repair yours even for money (which they will if they find dead bugs in it or really obvious signs of mishandling of the system).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

No, I have a pro and it's the same poo poo. I even have an SSD in it so I guess maybe it takes 58 minutes instead of an hour, but it's still infuriatingly slow.

Yeah. Mind you this is only particularly bad for games that have a lot of very large patches. So things like COD Warzone, Overwatch, Cyberpunk, Boderlands 3 etc.

Even the PS5 is slow for PS4 titles.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Thanks, I'll probably let someone else repair it for me if it's not too expensive.

Sure, the guide makes it seem pretty straightforward, but no shame in having someone do it for you.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+Power+Supply+Replacement/24719

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It’s a slim, and I found a local shop that will fix it. Thanks for the advice :)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I kind of knew I'd be disappointed going into Assassin's Creed Origins, but, yikes. I think the very first game was more polished. The fighting and sneaking both feel...wrong, like they don't fit. I was hoping to have fun climbing around on stuff at least but even that's not handled great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s my favorite game in the series tbh I wish the recent two hit me the same way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

I kind of knew I'd be disappointed going into Assassin's Creed Origins, but, yikes. I think the very first game was more polished. The fighting and sneaking both feel...wrong, like they don't fit. I was hoping to have fun climbing around on stuff at least but even that's not handled great.

fwiw I thought Origins was overrated but Odyssey is great. mainly because Kassandra is the best AC protagonist ever but it also basically goes full RPG and it works much better

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Hound posted:

Lol I went from Ezio trilogy -> Origins and basic movement and sneaking is so objectively better in Origins that it's not even close. The parkour is a little too effortless though, they scaled that back in Valhalla for the better imo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alright alright, $15 is worth a little more time, I'll see if I can get the hang of it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
origins is one of the worst games I’ve (very briefly) played

lifeless, dull, outrageously ugly, like “can’t render objects more than ten feet away” levels of ugly

at least it cured me of the temptation to try any more of those timesinks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:psyduck: It's a gorgeous looking game and I've no idea what you're talking about with the render distance apart from maybe the eagle bits?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
people never believe me when I say it but I was constantly surrounded by NPC’s within spitting distance whose shadows existed in a quantum state, carrying boxes that weren’t there. factor in the color palette and it’s a complete face-ache

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Oxxidation posted:

people never believe me when I say it but I was constantly surrounded by NPC’s within spitting distance whose shadows existed in a quantum state, carrying boxes that weren’t there. factor in the color palette and it’s a complete face-ache

did you try the share function?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twibbit posted:

did you try the share function?

i spent the better part of decade forgetting that button existed, sure wasn't going to remember it then v:v:v

anyway the graphical issues just finished the job that the cruddy environments, loot/stat overload, and wooden unresponsive combat started. every inch of that game was like steel wool against my sensibilities

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sakurazuka posted:

:psyduck: It's a gorgeous looking game and I've no idea what you're talking about with the render distance apart from maybe the eagle bits?

It really is a gorgeous game, technically speaking and artistically. I spent so many hours in the photo mode of Origins. Lost them all when my PS4 died :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The temples are very pretty. The camel goes so slow. I fought a vulture, it took a lot of hits from my sword. It helps to think of it a little more like Breakpoint than like Revelations or Black Flag.