Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That's true. Blalock was the obvious t&a hire, but they low key used Park in a lot more sexy scenes after s1.

It's hard not to be distracted by how frequently sleazy ENT is, especially in contrast to DS9 and TNG, which while each certainly had their moments, weren't so regularly heavy handed. DS9 had the boob window Klingons, and Dax on Risa, but other than that people were mostly clothed.

DS9 had the dabo girls, including Leeta, who was naked at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I suppose you could say DS9 was a bit more honest with its sleaze. It’s the Wild West frontier of space and there’s gonna be some debauchery. But you don’t really expect it from the crew of the NX-01 until they start slappin gels

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

I suppose you could say DS9 was a bit more honest with its sleaze. It’s the Wild West frontier of space and there’s gonna be some debauchery. But you don’t really expect it from the crew of the NX-01 until they start slappin gels

Yeah, the DS9 stuff was clearly supposed to be titillating in-universe. ENT was worse because they inserted "fan-service" into the normal lives/adventures of the crew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how in the sword of kahless episode they introduce yet another Duras family member except he's so useless that I'm not even sure if they killed him or just left him in the cave.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how in the sword of kahless episode they introduce yet another Duras family member except he's so useless that I'm not even sure if they killed him or just left him in the cave.

Toral, Duras' bastard son, was introduced in Redemption (Gowron gives Worf Toral's life in exchange for exposing the Romulan collusion in the Civil War; Worf spares him). He's just played by a different actor in The Sword of Kahless.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Worf randomly killing Gowron in late season DS9 is something that I don't accept as canon. In fact I didn't say anything just now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Be fair, TNG introduced the titty window Klingons.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Gowron dishonored the empire and had to die

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Gowron wanted to outlaw pegging and that's why he had to die.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Prurient Squid posted:

Worf randomly killing Gowron in late season DS9 is something that I don't accept as canon. In fact I didn't say anything just now.

i dont think it was random at all

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

i dont think it was random at all

I love how people don't pay attention to plots, then when said plots resolve they're surprised and assume writers did random poo poo with the characters.

Like, why even watch TV if you aren't gonna pay attention?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Blalock is the best actor on ENT.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mycomancy posted:

I love how people don't pay attention to plots, then when said plots resolve they're surprised and assume writers did random poo poo with the characters.

Like, why even watch TV if you aren't gonna pay attention?

yeah they had been setting that up basically since Gowron was first introduced in TNG

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Kind of impressive they got away with the whole Gowron arc really since it doesn't paint the Federation in a super positive light given the cold war treatment.

Federation installs a weak puppet leader in old enemy state to piss off and deny control to a stronger foreign adversary who was trying to move in and take control via their own puppet. Gowron is too weak to stand alone and needs constant federation support to maintain any hope of leadership. Then off the back of that support thinks he's God's gift, turns against them, so the Federation has him killed and eventually replaced with people more sympathetic to the Federations wishes.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It's just like poetry...

Unrelatedly, In the Dixon Hill scenes on TNG there was a debate on whether to make the holodeck part in black and white to fit the 40s theme. In the end it was decided that it would drive too much of a wedge between the A plot in the simulation and the B plot on the Enterprise and break up the continuity.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Massive scanlines on every individual hologram, and none of them match resolution so there's just moire all over the loving place

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Data, you really should join me in my new holodeck program set in the late 1990s at the birth of the common digital medium!”

*resolution immediately crushes down to 120p, 5fps with an omnipresent Real Player logo looming in every environment*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

But they did the black and white thing in Voyager and it was really good

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm down for a series long Data vs. Moriarty storyline framed as a silent film.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm down for a series long Data vs. Moriarty storyline framed as a silent film.

Completely silent until someone decides to sit down at the piano that's always there and start playing it.

Also they can't exit because they can't give voice commands to the computer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HD DAD posted:

“Data, you really should join me in my new holodeck program set in the late 1990s at the birth of the common digital medium!”

*resolution immediately crushes down to 120p, 5fps with an omnipresent Real Player logo looming in every environment*

The Hank Hill "do I look like I know what a JPEG is?" bit but in the form of Picard patiently explaining to Data the ancient history of 90s image formats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Timby posted:

Toral, Duras' bastard son, was introduced in Redemption (Gowron gives Worf Toral's life in exchange for exposing the Romulan collusion in the Civil War; Worf spares him). He's just played by a different actor in The Sword of Kahless.

Lol I didn't realize that was Toral. Klingon children can't catch a break if they keep getting recast.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, the DS9 stuff was clearly supposed to be titillating in-universe. ENT was worse because they inserted "fan-service" into the normal lives/adventures of the crew.

The augment women were the absolute lowest point of Enterprise sleaze outside literal naked T'Pol.

Funny how the fabric wore out like that?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

I liked Next Generation a lot but holy gently caress slow down, DS9. You're just shittin hits out like they're going out of style

DS9 goes on a like godly run for a season and a half in the middle somewhere

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Dabir posted:

Calling the villain "Dr Noah" was probably pushing it a bit.

hahaha, how did I never catch that until this post

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sisko's dad sucks rear end, hello I am posting from inside a pandemic

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

grandpa sisko rules. he eats gumbo, does heroin, fucks all night. read between the lines.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Grandpa Sisko has joined the trucker convoy in Canada demanding respect for his rights and freedom

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this business has got you so mixed up you are seeing trucker convoys everywhere

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
.....sorry, dad.:smith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Office window almost as luxurious as the one the evil atheist professor had in God's Not Dead.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://twitter.com/TheCyberelf/status/1488014875351650306?t=u5JsjbO1sbbPYfVhxuF1xA&s=19

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Whoopi Goldberg is in the latest Picard Show trailer and she looks and sounds like poo poo, but their scene is ina bar so maybe she is supposed to be shitfaced

Also gently caress you for time traveling to present time you loving hacks. So lazy and dumb.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh god are they seriously cribbing from Voyager now??

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Also gently caress you for time traveling to present time you loving hacks. So lazy and dumb.

is Covid going to be a part of Star Trek now? Trump? Is Picard going to do a TikTok dance?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Danaru posted:

Oh god are they seriously cribbing from Voyager now??
Possibly Voyager and DS9

I believe they are going to 2024, which in Trek canon is when the Bell Riots happen and the setting of the DS9 two-parter ‘Past Tense’

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i never realized how awesome dr crusher is, holy heck

shes on every single exfiltration mission in tng
she was willing to blow up the enterprise to prove the ferengi right
she is the most force-attuned crew member and is always the first to notice temporal anomalies

relationship with mr homm ended. dr crusher is my new best friend.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GolfHole posted:

i never realized how awesome dr crusher is, holy heck

shes on every single exfiltration mission in tng
she was willing to blow up the enterprise to prove the ferengi right
she is the most force-attuned crew member and is always the first to notice temporal anomalies

relationship with mr homm ended. dr crusher is my new best friend.

She's a cool character. She's also the worst doctor in startreks. She's not a bad doctor, merely mediocre.

Oh, hey, an alien species I've never met before is going to be on the ship for a for an important diplomatic event. Should I take an hour to read about that species biology and medical needs? Nah. He looks pretty humanoid, I'm sure there's no surprises. *is surprised by 20 pound symbiote* :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"it is imperative that you do not do an autopsy on the Ferengi. It will cause a diplomatic incident. Do not do an autopsy on the Ferengi."
"Jesus I get it, Christ"

*20 minutes pass*

"Hey so uh :whitewater:"