Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Yubikeys and be done with it

Hello + yubikeys is the best experience possible right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How do you manage people losing the key? I'd love to give the staff the easiest security method possible, especially CEO types who get angry about typing in a password, idle time screen locks, etc. But I would worry about one of them losing the key and then going insane if they can't access company resources NOW NOW NOW.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you manage people losing the key? I'd love to give the staff the easiest security method possible, especially CEO types who get angry about typing in a password, idle time screen locks, etc. But I would worry about one of them losing the key and then going insane if they can't access company resources NOW NOW NOW.

You handle keys like you handle badges.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

xzzy posted:

Some students at Cambridge sorta did that in the early 2000's, it's where the VNC protocol came from but their scheme was putting card readers at workstations and when you insert your badge your desktop session pops up.

It never caught on unfortunately. Likely because IBM bought the lab they worked in and shut it down. :downs:

VNC is still relatively popular though.
SunRay worked like this, you had a thin client on your desktop and it kept your desktop session tied to your smart card. We had it at work in 2005, great for walking over to a coworker and going “hey can you look at something for me” and just swap the card in their terminal.

A couple banks did something similar with smart card ID, where their desktop session (windows this time not Solaris), identity card for signing transactions and badge for getting around the office was one and the same. No leaving your desktop unlocked to go to the bathroom since you needed to bring the card with you

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Just waiting for Windows Hello Cloud Trust to become a thing so that people can auth to any on-prem resources without having to either drop to using passwords or deploying a bunch of PKI infrastructure.

Really amazing that this hasn't been done already.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure I could muddle through it all but frankly I don't want to deploy that sort of infrastructure unless I absolutely have to. So I'm happy to just wait until Microsoft realise they have a huge usability problem and get round to fixing it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Meanwhile someone from the identity team asked if they could turn off our ADFS (which backs our Hello pilot) because it's too much work and too complicated for them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t blame them

My last project at my last job was working on hello for business in an adfs environment and there are a ton of moving parts that affect the entire business

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

C'mon now, managing relying party trusts along with SAML and ODIC is much fun! It's even better when no one can login to anything! :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's even better when no one can login to anything! :haw:

Finally, a way to guarantee you won't get any tickets.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's especially funny because my team "owned" it along with AD, and then identity took it away and acted all superior about how we couldn't possibly have been doing a good job and they need to redo everything and time and time again they fail or have to scale back or walk straight into organizational traps we warn them about. We had no problem with it, on top of all our other duties, but it's overwhelming to them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Identity is really freaking complicated and given that we're all using SaaS Apps with crazy functionality for whatever businesses purposes it's even more insanely insane. It isn't 2002 where we just had everything On-Premises using Active Directory with Kerberos.

That said, I don't really see the need for On-Premise STS when you have stuff like Azure AD, Okta, etc. Personally, I think it'll eventually go the way with Exchange. Managing it yourself is a huge pain, a ton of work and a ton of risk.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Me and a colleque (we are both fairly new in the company, both started near the end of last year) got talking about previous jobs and my colleque mentioned their former boss as one of the reasons they left that place. The boss wanted them to publish a blog post in the company website using their real name and the headline was to be "If you aren't buying training from (company X) then you are workplace Taleban". My colleque refused and this caused the boss to pitch a fit and sulk. It seems here in Finland we have our share of crazy bosses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure I could muddle through it all but frankly I don't want to deploy that sort of infrastructure unless I absolutely have to. So I'm happy to just wait until Microsoft realise they have a huge usability problem and get round to fixing it.

Oh, sorry, I meant really surprised Microsoft hasn't done that yet and started offering a solution.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Lol

Working in IT 3.0: you are workplace Taliban

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

Meanwhile someone from the identity team asked if they could turn off our ADFS (which backs our Hello pilot) because it's too much work and too complicated for them.

It might be controversial but ADFS IS cumbersome, use PHS with write back instead using AAD as the main idp source and you have 99% of the features with just minimal feature loss(but a tenth of the opex overhead)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

It might be controversial but ADFS IS cumbersome, use PHS with write back instead using AAD as the main idp source and you have 99% of the features with just minimal feature loss(but a tenth of the opex overhead)

This isn't controversial, aad is head and shoulders above adfs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I use AAD and can confirm it owns, only rarely pissing me off regarding on prem groups.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I use AAD and can confirm it owns, only rarely pissing me off regarding on prem groups.

What’s bugging you about the on prem group thing other than the sync always taking forever?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Thanks Ants posted:

So I'm happy to just wait until Microsoft realise they have a huge usability problem and get round to fixing it.

Like they did with Teams?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

MrKatharsis posted:

Like they did with Teams?

You mean the ultimate AiO chat/voip/web conf/org unit/security group

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My issue with teams is that UI need some serious re-work and holy crap sometimes it is so slow. Literally, it's supposed to only display text and a mIRC Client does the job better.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ataxerxes posted:

Me and a colleque (we are both fairly new in the company, both started near the end of last year) got talking about previous jobs and my colleque mentioned their former boss as one of the reasons they left that place. The boss wanted them to publish a blog post in the company website using their real name and the headline was to be "If you aren't buying training from (company X) then you are workplace Taleban". My colleque refused and this caused the boss to pitch a fit and sulk. It seems here in Finland we have our share of crazy bosses.

This is a really interesting misspelling and I'm curious how you came to it. (Absolutely no disrespect meant, I don't speak/write any second language nearly as well as you're doing in English). It's "colleague", and I could see leaving out the "a", but I'm wondering if something about Finnish or Finn-accented English means the "g" sound isn't said quite as a native English speaker would, so maybe you're hearing more of a "k" and translating as "q"?

I always find this kind of thing fascinating since it shows some of the thought process that has to go into writing words in English, the stupidest of all languages where there are rules but they usually never apply until they do and also nothing sounds like it's spelled. (But sometimes it does. Helpful!). That thought process never happens for many native speakers since they just know what it's supposed to be (and never question why, or why it's so stupid).

Anyway, just curious what your thought process was for this, and I suppose since text doesn't convey mood, I should reiterate I'm honestly asking and not trying to be a dick.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SlowBloke posted:

Oh lol the same group is loving up AAD as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

Enable TAP along with fido2, deliver one code to the user in person or over a validated videocall, the user logs in and enroll the token. First token is on the house, second and up are on the employee.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This is a really interesting misspelling and I'm curious how you came to it. (Absolutely no disrespect meant, I don't speak/write any second language nearly as well as you're doing in English). It's "colleague", and I could see leaving out the "a", but I'm wondering if something about Finnish or Finn-accented English means the "g" sound isn't said quite as a native English speaker would, so maybe you're hearing more of a "k" and translating as "q"?

I always find this kind of thing fascinating since it shows some of the thought process that has to go into writing words in English, the stupidest of all languages where there are rules but they usually never apply until they do and also nothing sounds like it's spelled. (But sometimes it does. Helpful!). That thought process never happens for many native speakers since they just know what it's supposed to be (and never question why, or why it's so stupid).

Anyway, just curious what your thought process was for this, and I suppose since text doesn't convey mood, I should reiterate I'm honestly asking and not trying to be a dick.

No worries, in Finnish it's written "kollega" so it's most likely me just making mental shortcut. And English seems such an illogical language, I think I learned most of my vocabulary by reading lots of fantasy novels and Sherlock Holmes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Citrix to be acquired by Vista and Evergreen/Elliott in a $16.5B all-cash deal, will be merged with Tibco to create SaaS powerhouse

https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/31/c...aas-powerhouse/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

Citrix to be acquired by Vista and Evergreen/Elliott in a $16.5B all-cash deal, will be merged with Tibco to create SaaS powerhouse

Fuuuuuuck. No good things ever happen when PE buys up a tech company. Hope they don't gently caress things up too bad. Get ready for your Citrix licenses to go up 25 to 40% at least though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Fuuuuuuck. No good things ever happen when PE buys up a tech company. Hope they don't gently caress things up too bad. Get ready for your Citrix licenses to go up 25 to 40% at least though.

PE bought the tech company I work at and it hasn't been ruined yet, I think :unsmith:

Everyone was mad they lost their equity and licenses did go up though

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sometimes PE leaves it alone, I'm assuming you're a cash cow, and as long as yall keep generating cash they'll leave you alone.

Sometimes PE ruins everything. I'm still bitter about what happened to Quest Software, which just got sold from one PE to another PE firm.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It feels like Citrix has been circling the drain for the better part of a decade.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

We can only hope this is what’s needed to pu Citrix to rest.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

Sometimes PE leaves it alone, I'm assuming you're a cash cow, and as long as yall keep generating cash they'll leave you alone.

This is where we are with our PE. We’ve hit the 5 year horizon for ipo/sale but there are no indications of that. Can’t hurt that we had our best year ever, SG&A expense is going down due to IT efficiencies, we did an acquisition a year ago, etc.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Citrix shutdown their SDWAN product that were starting to move to for our remote locations, and now this. Honestly, hope its the end of Citrix in our environment, because it sucks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have two hold-outs in Citrix 6.5 on 2k8r2 and I want them gone asafp but y’know, business critical bullshit.

1. Our old Great Plains install, used for archive access after we moved to workday for finance.
2. A lovely homegrown access db that holds about $15mil worth of vendor contracts

We just might get them on to something else by the time we want out of that data center!

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I would count myself as one of the many many healthcare practitioners who got burnt out during the pandemic. In putting together my resume, it's kind of dawned on me that recruiters may be asking why I decided to abandon my healthcare career when it was on the up and up. Long story short, I got tired of being forced to deal with idiots who can't wear a mask properly or get vaccinated day after day after day, but I can't exactly put that. If I get asked about it during the interview process, what's the best way to approach this topic?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Trickortreat posted:

I would count myself as one of the many many healthcare practitioners who got burnt out during the pandemic. In putting together my resume, it's kind of dawned on me that recruiters may be asking why I decided to abandon my healthcare career when it was on the up and up. Long story short, I got tired of being forced to deal with idiots who can't wear a mask properly or get vaccinated day after day after day, but I can't exactly put that. If I get asked about it during the interview process, what's the best way to approach this topic?

If you say 'healthcare' they will almost always just say 'ohhhhh' and they just nod

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use your experience to weave a story about how you are tired of workplaces that don’t respect you and your work and you can use it as a filter for potential toxic employers.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
You're looking for a change of environment.

Or to get away from the stress of constant exposure to Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bob Morales posted:

Working for a Vista company was the all time worst experience I've had, those people are pump and dump crooks