Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Odin seems great just pricy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm hoping that anything the Odin Pro is showing off, the Steam Deck can do, cuz I have that coming at some point...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I'm hoping that anything the Odin Pro is showing off, the Steam Deck can do, cuz I have that coming at some point...

That’s not even a question at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m a sucker

That taki video got me lol

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

I’m a sucker

That taki video got me lol

Yeah I am waiting for retro game corps’ thoughts but I think I am gonna go for it too!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was kind of holding out for one since it seemed like everything I wanted, but since it seemed like nobody knew when (if) they would ever ship, I decided to just go for an RP2+ instead. So of course the week mine arrives the Odin drops lmao.

That being said, I do appreciate that the RP2+ is much smaller than the Odin. Had to head to the doctor and it was super nice to just toss it into a pocket. Can't really justify it so soon after buying the RP2+, but I might eventually pick up the Odin for plane rides or lounging at home, and have the RP2+ as a more portable option.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I tried to get you people on board when the four pack was half the retail price

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I tried to get you people on board when the four pack was half the retail price

Well you weren’t wrong but I wasn’t convinced the thing would ship lol

I’m glad it did and I’m definitely paying the tax for waiting.

The thing does seem to get pretty decent battery life doing emulation though. According to Taki it was 4 hours with PS2 and like 8 with game cube.

It’s a shame 3DS emulation is in such a crappy state atm though

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It’s super tempting that if I were to sell my Vita it would put me most of the way to an Odin. Grr.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Questions re: RG552:

What does the "Ports" folder do? What kind of files go in there?

What is the difference between MAME and FBNeo? How do I tell if a game should go in one or the other?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Annath posted:

Questions re: RG552:

What does the "Ports" folder do? What kind of files go in there?

Ports are standalone games, usually Linux versions of Steam/GoG games with some extra compatibility changes to make them work on these handhelds. Some of them are freeware and will work from a clean install, whereas others might install the compatibility files but need you to grab your data files from a version purchased on Steam.

If you're on 351elec the easiest way to install them is downloading Portmaster.zip, unzipping it to that "Ports" folder and then running it on the device. Things aren't still fully patched up for the 552; some work out of the box, some need tweaks for controls and some need tweaks for the screen. And some don't work at all yet.

Highlights for me are the native port of Mario 64, Stardew Valley, Iconoclasts, Spelunky (classic), VVVVVV. I saw one of the devs tease a photo of Celeste running on it but I don't think that's been released yet. There's a list of games from Portmaster here but I don't know how complete that is - new ones are often popping up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Froist posted:

Ports are standalone games, usually Linux versions of Steam/GoG games with some extra compatibility changes to make them work on these handhelds. Some of them are freeware and will work from a clean install, whereas others might install the compatibility files but need you to grab your data files from a version purchased on Steam.

If you're on 351elec the easiest way to install them is downloading Portmaster.zip, unzipping it to that "Ports" folder and then running it on the device. Things aren't still fully patched up for the 552; some work out of the box, some need tweaks for controls and some need tweaks for the screen. And some don't work at all yet.

Highlights for me are the native port of Mario 64, Stardew Valley, Iconoclasts, Spelunky (classic), VVVVVV. I saw one of the devs tease a photo of Celeste running on it but I don't think that's been released yet. There's a list of games from Portmaster here but I don't know how complete that is - new ones are often popping up.

I'm on the stock firmware, but I'll check this out, thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Was excited to see Abuse on the list of ports, but it turns out to prove that I just can't use the joysticks on this 351m at all without it hurting my hands. I don't understand how anyone can. Still a great game though.

Couldn't find a way to properly exit Blues Brothers, which was weird.

Anyway, thanks for posting about portmaster.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cave Story, Shovel Knight, Spelunky and Undertale are making me seriously consider buying a 351v, despite all those being on the Switch already

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

ArkOS and RetroOZ CFWs now have better Saturn support with Yaba Sanshiro on several RK3326 devices. 3D games still won’t run well, but you can play Dragon Force, Saturn Bomberman, Magic Knight Rayearth, and some other games at full speed now. RGC is maintaining a list of games that run well on his site. By his estimate only about a quarter of the library is even remotely playable, but it’s a big jump from barely running anything.

https://youtu.be/pso8RsqRs6E

You’ll probably still want an Odin or RP2+ if you want better Saturn emulation, but it’s cool when people can squeeze a little more performance out of older chipsets.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Been a while. The Odin shoulder buttons are a sticking point (heh) I went ahead and got one and got a non responsive mushy R1 button. Wait till after Chinese New Year to see what their plans will be going forward. I'm sure they're being bombarded with emails and backer questions right now. The performance is nice but wait, imo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Been a while. The Odin shoulder buttons are a sticking point (heh) I went ahead and got one and got a non responsive mushy R1 button. Wait till after Chinese New Year to see what their plans will be going forward. I'm sure they're being bombarded with emails and backer questions right now. The performance is nice but wait, imo.

Yeah I’ve been seeing quite a bit of this which is unfortunate. Hopefully all the orders going forward have it fixed since it seems like it’s a decently widespread issue.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking at getting my first retro handheld. I'm aiming to play SNES and PSX games. Not interested in N64 or Dreamcast. I'm thinking about getting the RG351P. Is it worth upgrading to the RG351MP for the screen. I saw some comments that the metal case is heavy and fatiguing for long sessions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have the P and think the screen is fine for PS1 games, though I think the biggest reason to upgrade to an M or MP would be the built in wifi because scraping game info and backing up saves are very useful features and it's nice not having to rely on a dongle.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

njsykora posted:

I have the P and think the screen is fine for PS1 games, though I think the biggest reason to upgrade to an M or MP would be the built in wifi because scraping game info and backing up saves are very useful features and it's nice not having to rely on a dongle.

The MP doesn't have built-in wifi, sadly.

I personally have become a big fan of my Powkiddy RGB10 Max 2. It's easily the nicest to hold and play on of the retro handhelds I've tried (including the 351v & mp). The screen is wide yes, but it does 640x480 as well as the MP just with some extra blank space. The only downside right now is that the firmware is still a bit immature - I think the only guy working on the ArkOS port for it, southoz, is a bit overextended at the moment - and right now it loses wifi on sleep, requiring a reboot to get it back.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Low-end Saturn games now playable on RG351 series, RGB10 series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pso8RsqRs6E

Retro Game Corps Retroid Pocket 2+ Setup Guide and Video (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjUO8s6nEA

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 30, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking at getting my first retro handheld. I'm aiming to play SNES and PSX games. Not interested in N64 or Dreamcast. I'm thinking about getting the RG351P. Is it worth upgrading to the RG351MP for the screen. I saw some comments that the metal case is heavy and fatiguing for long sessions.

snes and ps1 run like butter on my rg351p and look very good, but the rg351v, m, and mp models all have screens with a more suitable resolution for home consoles. the 351p screen scales 2x to the GBA's screen resolution but has to scale others imperfectly. still quite good, and the form factor is nice. if you just want a properly sized screen go for the 351m or 351v depending on your preferred form factor. they're all identical on the inside. weight-wise, i can't comment on the rest but the 351p is light weight and it never feels heavy after long play sessions.

whichever you choose, i suggest installing 351Elec firmware immediately because it has all of the proper screen resolutions preset for each console. graphically speaking i've only had to tinker with shaders, but honestly i think everything looks perfectly good with zero tweaking

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 30, 2022

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

beer gas canister posted:

snes and ps1 run like butter on my rg351p and look very good, but the rg351v, m, and mp models all have screens with a more suitable resolution for home consoles.

Just fyi, the rg351m has the same resolution as the p, 480x320. It's only the mp and v that have the 4:3 640x480 screens. But the mp still doesn't have internal wifi, which the m does.

If you're asking "why didn't Anbernic ever make just one device that ticked ALL the boxes," well, so are the rest of us..

Unless you're looking at the 552, which does tick most of the boxes, except for "fits in the pocket."

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 30, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

If you're asking "why didn't Anbernic ever make just one device that ticked ALL the boxes," well, so are the rest of us..

They did it’s called the 552

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

They did it’s called the 552
Pretty sure it doesn't tick the box of "costs less than 225 us dollars"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Russ, bless his heart, always has a generous idea of what playable speeds are.

I mean..granted I used to emulate N64 and PS1 on a Cyrix 233MHz CPU and that was..not unlike what VF2, PD1 and Sega Rally were like in that video I guess so I had low standards back then.

Still, it will be very nice to play Thunder Force 5 and Sakura Taisen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finally got around to trying other stuff to get my 351P going again and the simplest option worked. Wrote 351Elec to the same card through the same reader on my Mac and it worked first time so that’ll teach me to trust my PC with an SD card.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Picked up a rg351v based on the comments about screen resolution. Excited to try it, thanks everyone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guess Im waiting for a retroid pocket 3 or a revised build quality Odin, I want to get rid of this backup PS3 I bought just to play Digital Devil Saga a PS2 game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ETA Prime Odin Pro Review (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPAcf011GA

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Guess Im waiting for a retroid pocket 3 or a revised build quality Odin, I want to get rid of this backup PS3 I bought just to play Digital Devil Saga a PS2 game.

I'm in the same boat. PS2/Game Cube is the gaming era that I missed out on the most and I'm really wanting to get a handheld that can play them as close to 100% as possible.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like the Odin has refresh rate issues, one owner extensively documented them here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OdinHandheld/comments/shrura/odin_refresh_rate_issues/

EDIT: Looks like it was the result of a "threaded video" setting and they've amended their post and removed all their videos

https://www.reddit.com/r/OdinHandheld/comments/shrura/odin_refresh_rate_issues/hv9dprz/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 2, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Dodo Odin Pro Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1u5HT4mdU8

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I wasn't really looking at the Odin before, but that looks pretty sweet. I was just saying to a friend of mine that solid handheld PS2 emulation would be pretty much the endgame, I'll die before I ever get through my backlog in THAT massive library.

I do hope to see more attempts at running harder games on this though. Like how do Ico and Shadow of the Colossus play? I'm guessing not great, but I can tolerate a lot of frame skip to be able to play something like that, anywhere.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 3, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

I wasn't really looking at the Odin before, but that looks pretty sweet. I was just saying to a friend of mine that solid handheld PS2 emulation would be pretty much the endgame, I'd die before I ever got through my backlog in THAT massive library.

I do hope to see more attempts at running harder games on this though. Like how do Ico and Shadow of the Colossus play? I'm guessing not great, but I can tolerate a lot of frame skip to be able to play something like that, anywhere.

The Odin seems cool and I have one on order but the steam deck for like $80 more is the better buy no question about it. It’s just so much more powerful.

FWIW I saw a video of Shadow of the Colossus running and it didn’t run that well at all. Definitely not playable to me.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

The Odin seems cool and I have one on order but the steam deck for like $80 more is the better buy no question about it. It’s just so much more powerful.

FWIW I saw a video of Shadow of the Colossus running and it didn’t run that well at all. Definitely not playable to me.

Thanks for the heads up. Well, hopefully some of that is because AetherSX2 is still in early stages. I'm not jumping on it just yet in any case, I've got too many handhelds as it is.

As far as PS2 on Steam Deck, wouldn't that require putting Windows on it to run PCSX2? I could be wrong, I don't know the state of PS2 emulation in Linux, which I thought is how Steam Deck shipped. And I suspect it's safe to assume Windows on a Steam Deck will murder battery life. But I guess we'll see when people start getting them in their hands.

vv Yeah, and on top of the size, looking it up again just now reminded me of its derpy control layout. Honestly I'm just not interested in that thing, regardless of the price:performance ratio.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 3, 2022

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I keep seeing people compare the Odin to the Deck on performance alone, ignoring the fact the Deck is nearly 3x the volume. That’s just based off the published dimensions, not sure how much the concave back would take away (in both cases), but it’s still a real chunkster. Feel like there’ll be a lot of memes when people get their hands on it and underestimated the size.

I’m kinda regretting picking up a 552 having seen all these previews of the Odin now. It seems to improve on every shortcoming, and the 552 is kinda stuck in limbo right now - the best Linux CFW can’t share a ROMs card with Android and there’s no ETA on a better version of that. I knew it’d be down to community support anyway, just feels like by the time devs got their hands on it it was maybe more limited than people expected :(

(As another comparison, the Deck is well over 5x the volume of the 552)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 552 and all its ilk are unuseable to me as long as they have their weird shoulder button layout.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Deck is definitely chunky, but also it doesn't seem like it'll be THAT much bigger than the Odin - both are large enough you'll need a bag to bring them somewhere. And at only $80 more, I suspect the deck will give a lot better performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

zzMisc posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Well, hopefully some of that is because AetherSX2 is still in early stages. I'm not jumping on it just yet in any case, I've got too many handhelds as it is.

As far as PS2 on Steam Deck, wouldn't that require putting Windows on it to run PCSX2? I could be wrong, I don't know the state of PS2 emulation in Linux, which I thought is how Steam Deck shipped. And I suspect it's safe to assume Windows on a Steam Deck will murder battery life. But I guess we'll see when people start getting them in their hands.

vv Yeah, and on top of the size, looking it up again just now reminded me of its derpy control layout. Honestly I'm just not interested in that thing, regardless of the price:performance ratio.

PS2 on Linux is no problem. PCSX2 runs natively, it's even part of the official Arch Linux packages so installing it is literally a single command. I can't think of any (open source) emulators at this moment that don't have Linux versions.