Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m going to play everything I already play on my Aya Neo but more way comfortably.

RDR2
Mass Effect
Fortnite
Destiny 2
Lost Ark for drat sure
Portable FFXIV is pretty legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm still mad that there's no save migration, but I'll probably play Monster Hunter: Rise on the Deck.

I'd also be into FFXIV (and FFXI), since I'm already a controller guy. Should be pretty good.

American Truck Simulator!

Aside from those, I expect I'll revisit a lot of random games that I picked up on PC, but then never got around to. The convenience and novelty will make me want to try stuff, and who knows what'll stick? I had a similar experience with the Switch, where I finished multiple games that I had drifted away from elsewhere, because it's so much easier to whip out a portable for a few minutes than to set aside time and sit at my desk, or wrestle the good TV away from everyone else in the house (and then make the kids leave the room so they don't see all these sick headshots that they're not ready for).

Currently, most of my PS5 time is spent in remote play for the same reasons, so I see the Steam Deck filling a similar role. I'll basically use it to play everything that I'm not playing on PS5, assuming the ergonomics are decent. The Switch will be relegated to exclusives, since it's such a dog for multiplatform stuff.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 29, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FishMcCool posted:

Here I'm planning on going on a ROM curation rampage for Retroarch, more or less from NES to SNES era, including romhacks. I have romsets, but will need to spend time picking a subselection per system to make it more convenient to vrowse. And then anything turn-based and controller friendly, so things like Tangledeep, Shiren, Wargroove... And depending on how comfy the touchscreen is, possibly more involved wargames/4x games, so Order of Battle, Civ-likes...

I'm pretty sure I'll play a lot more stuff on it, but that's he main stuff I have in mind at the moment.

It's funny because I did this for RetroArch on PC already. I have all of my ROMs stored on my OneDrive but one folder is just called "Curated Collection" of all of the poo poo I loved as a kid, I keep that on my PC while the rest of the whole collections I have for consoles are kept in the cloud.

Definitely makes navigating RetroArch a whole lot easier too.

edit: But yes, I'm probably spending a lot of time with RetroArch Steam and having all of that working. I hope RetroArch adds premade profiles just for the Deck though I somehow doubt that will be the case.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not joking when I say the game I’m most looking forward to on the Deck is Death Stranding.

I also would love if Battleye ever gets sorted so I can do Destiny stuff on it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JuffoWup posted:

Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

For me, it is terraria and unpacking. Just nice games to play and relax to. If Civ6 adds touch support, that'll probably another one. Especially with the dynamic cloud saving feature.

I bought Disco Elesium or whatever and am holding off until I can play on the Deck. Can't friggin' wait!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

sigher posted:

It's funny because I did this for RetroArch on PC already. I have all of my ROMs stored on my OneDrive but one folder is just called "Curated Collection" of all of the poo poo I loved as a kid, I keep that on my PC while the rest of the whole collections I have for consoles are kept in the cloud.

I wouldn't let a kid curate my video games tbh.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The rest of the Yakuza series from Kiwami 2 onward

And all the EDF games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tagichatn posted:

I wouldn't let a kid curate my video games tbh.

What? All of those games I grew up with I still love and enjoy,

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I am glad people can have fun playing retro games. And while there are a number of retro games I hold fond, replaying them juist illustrates how dated they are. Zero interest in me retreading that ground.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Depends on the game I guess. Classic Mario, Sonic, Zelda and Megaman are still great, plenty of others not so much.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

sigher posted:

What? All of those games I grew up with I still love and enjoy,

It was just a joke although games would be the one type of media that I'd probably still enjoy as an adult. Revisiting some of my favorite books and TV shows as a kid wasn't great.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm replaying Grandia 2 right now, which is a favourite game from my childhood that I haven't touched in twenty years and I'm enjoying it immensely

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm one of the countless many that have a huge steam backlog but only play the same 3-4 games at home. Many of them are older games these days. I travel a bit for work and my issue has always been that I don't have a good gaming device when away. The deck appeals to me because it will solve a number of those issues, in that it is great for travel and will give me a reason to chip away at my backlog since the device will run all of those sorts of games much more readily.

I don't have a preorder because I can't do so here in :australia: but I will be keeping a close eye on reviews by people once they get it, and I am hoping that in time there'll be a really detailed report of all the games that run well on it so I can take stock of whether it suits me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I do hope the deck is just a start for the handheld PC boom.

People have been begging for it and the preorder sales alone probably greenlit a ton of R&D

Bring them on

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do hope the deck is just a start for the handheld PC boom.

People have been begging for it and the preorder sales alone probably greenlit a ton of R&D

Bring them on

We already started seeing toe dips with devices like the aya neo. I think some interest was already spurned on with how much of a success the switch was. People like that functionality, but the switch library has been... something. I know interviews with valve have said they don't really plan to go much beyond the deck and hope that other companies step up to continue the torch while also running steamos 3 on their portables. Moving steamos to be focused on supporting portable hardware is probably the best move compared to their previous attempts where it was just an alternative as a desktop os. That said, I know it did get their feet wet with linux.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm looking forward to laying in bed at night scrolling through my library wondering what to play before getting tired and rolling over and falling asleep paralyzed by indecision, which i can only do now at my computer.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JuffoWup posted:

We already started seeing toe dips with devices like the aya neo. I think some interest was already spurned on with how much of a success the switch was.
It all started nearly 7 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6wa5yyEzeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghe0LSDrVmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The Vita probably showed a lot of companies what was possible with handhelds too, Sony just shot themselves in the foot with it with pointless stuff like the 3g model and the super expensive proprietary memory cards

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I liked my PSP and I know it still exists somewhere in my parents house. Sadly it was lost at some point.
I'm excited as long as there will be worthwhile games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The best part of the Deck for me is that my Steam library is huge and I can get games on it that are sometimes exclusive to certain console AND PC, but now I can play on another device that is not my PC. I also own a PS5 and a Switch but I don't want to buy anything on Switch/PS5 beside the exclusives because of how locked down they are, and rebuying games is certainly not something I enjoy.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The second best part is that it runs Arch Linux which is what I'm using on my PC anyway so I'm very familiar with it. The third is that since it's just a computer, I can connect anything to it, from controllers to Bluetooth headphones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The Vita probably showed a lot of companies what was possible with handhelds too, Sony just shot themselves in the foot with it with pointless stuff like the 3g model and the super expensive proprietary memory cards

and you know, not having any games

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They canceled all the ones in development because it didn't sell like gangbusters out the gate, because of the other issues I mentioned. There were big plans by a lot of studios for it but Sony fumbled so bad with those drat memory cards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

but the switch library has been... something

lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-LxZnhLbF8

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

and you know, not having any games

The vita actually had really robust software support from the Japanese development community, and the system did surprisingly well there.. Their approach was basically to treat it like a high-end 3DS where they made the same kinds of handheld games they had already been making but at a higher fidelity. Meanwhile, western developers treated it like a low-end console where they tried to make typical console-style games but cut-down. It's no wonder it failed in the west.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

There were no western games on it beyond the launch lineup and Killzone a year later. Sony immediately dropped it when it didn't move like 10 million units in the first 2 months.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The vita actually had really robust software support from the Japanese development community, and the system did surprisingly well there.. Their approach was basically to treat it like a high-end 3DS where they made the same kinds of handheld games they had already been making but at a higher fidelity. Meanwhile, western developers treated it like a low-end console where they tried to make typical console-style games but cut-down. It's no wonder it failed in the west.

all the good jrpg poo poo also came way after release

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Golden was pretty close to release wasn't it?

Also the Vita was quite successful in Japan. Western 3rd parties were scared off of it by Sony's total lack of support.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 30, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good. The perfect console.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A high end 3DS with nothing but B-tier games, maybe. It's not like Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy or any franchises that mattered got big original games on Vita. The "killer app" was a port of a PS2 Persona game but Atlus put all the actual new SMT games out on 3DS. After P4 Golden you've basically got a bunch of ports of low budget PS3/PS4 JRPGs / VNs and indie game ports. I wouldn't say lack of western support killed the Vita since AAA Japanese devs didn't do anything with it either. It wasn't like the PSP where they got Konami and Capcom to bite on a bunch of original titles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Randallteal posted:

A high end 3DS with nothing but B-tier games, maybe. It's not like Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy or any franchises that mattered got big original games on Vita. The "killer app" was a port of a PS2 Persona game but Atlus put all the actual new SMT games out on 3DS. After P4 Golden you've basically got a bunch of ports of low budget PS3/PS4 JRPGs / VNs and indie game ports. I wouldn't say lack of western support killed the Vita since AAA Japanese devs didn't do anything with it either. It wasn't like the PSP where they got Konami and Capcom to bite on a bunch of original titles.

low budget jrpgs are the best

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The rest of the Yakuza series from Kiwami 2 onward

And all the EDF games

:cheers:
Same, Kiwami 2 will probably be one of the first games I'll try

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

low budget jrpgs are the best

Also persona is way more popular than the other titles so the Vita getting that is way more important than any of the others combined

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Vita was really ahead of its time and wasted on us. People were excited to play Spelunky on their OLED Switch last year and the Vita was doing that in 2013. It had PS4 Remote Play long before that was a thing. It still seems like magic to play RDR on the go these days.

Anyway I'm extremely looking forward to playing Battletech with all the mods on my Deck but I'm not really sure how the keyboard layouts will carry over

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sony shot themselves on the foot by not iterating on the dock they made for the psp go

The vita was supposed to have one, but the go's dock didn't sell well (because the go sold like poo poo (because it was directly competing with three other Sony handhelds)) so they never put it into production

When the switch was announced all they would have had to do was start including the dock and controller with new vitas, except the new vita didn't have the dock port anymore since nothing was using it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The Vita is amazing if you hack it for homebrew and emulation. Wonderful piece of hardware. I really regret selling mine ...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the PSP was also a huge success for markets which switched a lot to mobile around that time that the Vita released.

The western stuff like Uncharted Vita and MLB The Show Vita is funny because I don't even think that kind of stuff was even popular on the PSP and the PSP was hugely successful anyway. It's funny to see how it turned out as the import/indies platform when you see the alternate launch catalog of trying to make cinematic home console games a mobile thing

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 30, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JuffoWup posted:

Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

For me, it is terraria and unpacking. Just nice games to play and relax to. If Civ6 adds touch support, that'll probably another one. Especially with the dynamic cloud saving feature.
https://twitter.com/FloPerfecto/status/1416544371839807498?t=lfGZFjH6McJ7L0wo_IOoLQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have a bunch of JRPGs and VNs that I just really can't commit to these days sitting on a desk in front of a keyboard. The Deck would be great for those. And whatever else cool indie thing that would play great on mobile.