Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

MechaCrash posted:

I have a question I already know the answer to, but screw it, I'll ask anyway.

One of the NFT scams is "shove a poison NFT in someone's wallet that, if interacted with in any way including trying to delete it for some loving reason, activates the You Agree To Give Me All Your poo poo contract inside and lets you drain it." (The fact that this entire thing was set up without a single thought given to bad actors is how you know it was made by techbros.) My question, then, is if there's anything preventing someone likely to be targeted by this kind of thing having a "public" wallet that people can see and interact with, where "interact with" quite frankly means "shove it full of their garbage because you can just stuff whatever you want in someone else's wallet and there's no way to prevent that because of course that's how it works," and then a private wallet where they keep their actual "money" and NFTs. That way if they accidentally activate one of these poison NFTs, they don't lose everything.

I already know the answer is "because everything is public, anybody who notices all this poo poo being transferred out can put two and two together and realize that there's a Public Quarantine Wallet and a Private Clean Wallet and just send poo poo to the Clean Wallet," but still. This might work out okay for a while, for someone big enough to get poison NFTs but not big enough to have a million people getting together to comb through their poo poo for a lucrative payday.

Sounds too centralized OP, and how are you going to revolutionize the economy and/or internet like that :cmon:

PhazonLink posted:

we barely dont teach highschoolers, college students, or adults basic fin 101 stuff, da gently caress will web bockchain talk to children even be.

Exactly what you think it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Strong Sauce posted:

quote:

LeBron James is the latest star athlete to team up with a cryptocurrency company. The Los Angeles Lakers star is joining with Crypto.com to teach children about blockchain technology and what is being called "Web3."

Under the partnership, Crypto.com will work with James' foundation to offer educational and workforce development opportunities around the emerging technologies, including in inner-city neighborhoods.

"Blockchain technology is revolutionizing our economy, sports and entertainment, the art world, and how we engage with one another," James said in a statement.

This just makes me sad on so many levels.
That children will have their time wasted to be indoctrinated into this poo poo.
That society is reliant on basketball players to allocate resources because they are so wealthy

Man I loving hate crypto

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

MechaCrash posted:

One of the NFT scams is "shove a poison NFT in someone's wallet that, if interacted with in any way including trying to delete it for some loving reason, activates the You Agree To Give Me All Your poo poo contract inside and lets you drain it." (The fact that this entire thing was set up without a single thought given to bad actors is how you know it was made by techbros.) My question, then, is if there's anything preventing someone likely to be targeted by this kind of thing having a "public" wallet that people can see and interact with, where "interact with" quite frankly means "shove it full of their garbage because you can just stuff whatever you want in someone else's wallet and there's no way to prevent that because of course that's how it works," and then a private wallet where they keep their actual "money" and NFTs. That way if they accidentally activate one of these poison NFTs, they don't lose everything.

I already know the answer is "because everything is public, anybody who notices all this poo poo being transferred out can put two and two together and realize that there's a Public Quarantine Wallet and a Private Clean Wallet and just send poo poo to the Clean Wallet," but still. This might work out okay for a while, for someone big enough to get poison NFTs but not big enough to have a million people getting together to comb through their poo poo for a lucrative payday.

do you have a link to these NFTs that hacked people's wallets?

all the dumb cryptobros who claim this the result after some sleuthing was someone hacked their private keys and used that to transfer out their NFTs and not because they loaded an NFT that hacked their wallet. this space keeps evolving so i could be wrong but as far as i know smart contracts from NFTs entering your wallet aren't enough to drain your wallet.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

bagmonkey posted:

huh, I count 19 teeth in that picture. It's like there's this one really important difference between the two. Hm. Wonder what it is.

If you're as good with money as you are at counting, boy have I got some wonderful art pieces to sell you! Exclusively!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

If you're as good with money as you are at counting, boy have I got some wonderful art pieces to sell you! Exclusively!

If they are full of racist imagery I can defend by saying they aren't EXACTLY the same as the racist imagery even though it's so close they no reasonable human would say otherwise THEN COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Somfin posted:

It didn't get globally understood until last year when basically every creative person either joined up, had their poo poo stolen, or formed ranks against it. It's out in the open and can never fade out again; either it wins or it dies and it mathematically cannot win.

I feel this and I hope it's true.

Dan Olson's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g) hitting over 3 million views in less than 2 weeks is very encouraging, as is the sentiment in popular subreddits. Like, /r/technology is a cesspool, but it's an anti-NFT and-crypto cesspool these days and love to see it.

Bullying works.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

MechaCrash posted:

I'm skeptical of the "Poison NFT" claim, because most smart contracts are on the Ethereum blockchain and require $$$ worth of Eth to be burned as "gas" to do literally anything.

Even if it you could technically write an NFT with the logic "if I get deleted, lmao delete everything else in this wallet lmao", that should cost real $$$ to execute. Maybe you can include the gas in the poison NFT? If so, lmao, but it would severely limit the spamability if each one cost $10 to fuel up and another $10 to send.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

coelomate posted:

I'm skeptical of the "Poison NFT" claim, because most smart contracts are on the Ethereum blockchain and require $$$ worth of Eth to be burned as "gas" to do literally anything.

Even if it you could technically write an NFT with the logic "if I get deleted, lmao delete everything else in this wallet lmao", that should cost real $$$ to execute. Maybe you can include the gas in the poison NFT? If so, lmao, but it would severely limit the spamability if each one cost $10 to fuel up and another $10 to send.

its real dumb and no one who buys NFTs is going to do anything about it because they can't.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
if they could they would get a job, not buy NFTS

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the apes are getting funged

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1487487638550372353

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coelomate posted:

"NFTs can't be that dumb, you must be explaining it wrong"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/WakaFlocka/status/1475709903184412675

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

"NFTs can't be that dumb, you must be explaining it wrong"

they are that dumb.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ah this one. i think this is the one where the jpeg was actually an svg that executed javascript because opensea is coded by a bunch of lovely coders.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parkingtigers posted:

Not that I needed more reasons to dislike him, but gently caress Tarantino.

https://twitter.com/ugobananas/status/1487051512933191689?s=21

boy did he get the covid 15

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

OpenSea policing which NFT collections are real sure feels ~ decentralized~

Strong Sauce posted:

ah this one. i think this is the one where the jpeg was actually an svg that executed javascript because opensea is coded by a bunch of lovely coders.

lmao that'd do it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/cryptochris808/status/1487484984919138309

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Solomon Grundy

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Can I mint the photo and the post as separate NFT's then ask him to delete those because he "doesn't own them"?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Married on Tuesday, divorced on Wednesday, broke on Thursday.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

where is his wife?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

where is his wife?

I think he's pointing at her? idk

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://twitter.com/cryptochris808/status/1484681404558368769

Oh 🐳

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I think he's pointing at her? idk

the monkey picture? Oof. She could have done better

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1487568824006184962

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think the funnier part is his follow-up post with the plaintive "Can devs do something?"

"Help, there is something wrong, how can number go down?!?!?!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PhazonLink posted:

we barely dont teach highschoolers, college students, or adults basic fin 101 stuff, da gently caress will web bockchain talk to children even be.

Yeah, but we do teach them whatever the dumbest people in the country are obsessing about being the key to the future.

Ergo they will learn what Bitcoin is, but not how health insurance works

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: Oh 🐳

(Yes, I know that thread titles don't support unicode and that changing it would be a big deal. It still fits.)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, but we do teach them whatever the dumbest people in the country are obsessing about being the key to the future.

Ergo they will learn what Bitcoin is, but not how health insurance works

Hey, I learned how to clean an oven in home economics. The only Economics that shoud be taught in schools!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the funnier part is his follow-up post with the plaintive "Can devs do something?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdVDWC1lg0

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a meme

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

where is his wife?

They're just out of frame, laughing too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

novamute posted:

It's a meme

The Poe's Law is so strong in the crypto space that even if that is an in-joke with them it makes no practical difference since a lot of the people in that space are going to think it unironically.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If you’re worried about your net worth dipping $15k in a day you probably shouldn’t own a six figure ape jpg.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Poe's Law is so strong in the crypto space that even if that is an in-joke with them it makes no practical difference since a lot of the people in that space are going to think it unironically.

Poe's law has been broken. It's just reality now

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

resident posted:

If you’re worried about your net worth dipping $15k in a day you probably shouldn’t own a six figure ape jpg.

that looks like a mutant ape, basically an ape for poor people. Those have a paltry 21.09 Eth "Floor Price" i.e. just five figures IRL right now

WHICH REMINDS ME: The "Floor Price" feature on OpenSea crypto collections is the perfect grift. Like, it's stupid and horrible but perfect for the ecosystem of greed.

It let's every wanna be daytrader live out their GME superstonk fever dream of cornering the market in $TOKEN by DIAMOND HANDING until lkajsdfkja doʇs ʇᴉ ǝʞɐɯ poƃ ɥo

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

coelomate posted:

that looks like a mutant ape, basically an ape for poor people. Those have a paltry 21.09 Eth "Floor Price" i.e. just five figures IRL right now

He does use #MAYC hashtag in his profile. Does this mean he's trying to rep Bored Apes and doesn't even have a real one? Triple lmao

Oh I see they are technically part of BAYC but still.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 30, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ray's Original Apes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Unfortunately half of nothing is still nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oy a chav nicked me NFTs