Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Just rub the microphone with your thumb or something, it's a stupid computer, it won't know the difference.

I tried but it didn't work properly, especially with the flute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

credburn posted:

I can't really think of any game that is in first person that I ever appreciate transitioning to third. I guess I get it when driving vehicles (though truly I prefer driving in first-person) because it helps with understanding the space around you but like, why do I need to be in third person when mounting a stationary gun? I don't gain anything by being able to also see the back of my head.

The Jedi Knight games switch from first to third person for lightsaber stuff and it helps a lot since first person melee rarely works well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Jedi Knight games switch from first to third person for lightsaber stuff and it helps a lot since first person melee rarely works well.

Ugh yeah but it also looked terrible in third person. You get a torso that moves basically according to where you're facing and what you're doing but your legs are just noodling out underneath you like a Cthulhu spazout

Kingdom Come had really good first-person melee.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I agree, vehicles are basically the only time I want it to switch to third-person. I actually prefer third-person for action games in general, but I feel like if you're going first-person you should lean into its particular strengths.

Why not just leave the camera up to the player?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

its easier to design sections for one type of camera

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I know there are games that have done that but I can't remember if I've played any. Making a specific choice does seem like it'd be easier to tune the main gameplay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason Nobody Saves the World does a thing where they make it complicated to get some of the treasure chests but treasure chests never have anything interesting in them, just money and food.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

credburn posted:

Ugh yeah but it also looked terrible in third person. You get a torso that moves basically according to where you're facing and what you're doing but your legs are just noodling out underneath you like a Cthulhu spazout
Sure but it's a 25 year old game and even having 3D character models was still a pretty new thing at the time.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

credburn posted:

I can't really think of any game that is in first person that I ever appreciate transitioning to third. I guess I get it when driving vehicles (though truly I prefer driving in first-person) because it helps with understanding the space around you but like, why do I need to be in third person when mounting a stationary gun? I don't gain anything by being able to also see the back of my head.

Any shooter that has a third-person perspective inevitably just distracts me with character movement. Some "weighty" feeling games, like say Dark Souls does a better job of this, but if a character moves fast like in a shooter, their legs are always just doing their own weird thing independent of the torso, trying to navigate the terrain around it and it looks terrible. Every single time it looks terrible.

Metroid Prime makes it work by turning you into a ball, you don't need eyes the ball has awareness of the space around it. It's intentionally completely different from the shooting mode to avoid the disconnect.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the first 2 Metro games, so I figured I'd try the third one out. Total waste of time.

Its supposed to be a stealthy game with limited ammo, where you conserve resources and scavenge things in the environment. All that's fine, except there's no way to heal other than medkits, which you never find. So you have to craft them, hope you like hitting the craft button 20 times because there are almost no crafting stations in the environment.
Which is fine, because its not a CoD run and gun shooter. Until about 4 hours into the game, where they drop you off in a pit full of cannibals. You use all your ammo, then have to run and gun your way through an entire base with no way to craft medkits or ammo. They don't up the ammo or guns you find either. So you're expected to gun your way through an entire base with almost no ammo and no health. Then they stick you in a small room with a heavy armored goon with a mini gun, who took 5 molotov and 3 grenades and still didn't die.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I tried but it didn't work properly, especially with the flute.

did you get to the song that requires you to skip a note yet? that ones great.

also good job on either having the cofidence to play a non mobile game in public or not giving a gently caress.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuebot posted:

I actually took huge issue with that segment!

So, in one of the later duneons the like spirit of grampy Leveilleur shows up to save you from a dead man, and aside from being weird because the guy he saves you from never had any interactions with Louisoix; Louisoix shouldn't even be down there. He done got turned into a primal and sorta tempered before you killed him? In coil, after you kill him, the twins even make a note about how they don't want to tell anyone about this because they don't want people just summoning their grandfather. And it's well established that people touched by or turned into primals can't like. Return to the soul juice. That was Hydalin's entire thing after you beat her, that's why she's dead-dead. And why louisoix should be too. Also in that very same dungeon at one point one of your dead ex comrades gives you a thirty second damage buff that barely lasts long enough for you to reach the next encounter, let alone beat it. Thanks for nothing, jerk.

That was Papalymo, not Louisoix

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

credburn posted:

Any shooter that has a third-person perspective inevitably just distracts me with character movement. Some "weighty" feeling games, like say Dark Souls does a better job of this, but if a character moves fast like in a shooter, their legs are always just doing their own weird thing independent of the torso, trying to navigate the terrain around it and it looks terrible. Every single time it looks terrible.

Warframe has you in third person and it never bothered me, but you'll also be flying through everything like liquid mercury so there's little time to stop and wonder if your flesh golem looks weird walking

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Kit Walker posted:

Warframe has you in third person and it never bothered me, but you'll also be flying through everything like liquid mercury so there's little time to stop and wonder if your flesh golem looks weird walking

In first person or third person any time I play Warframe all I see is light

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

In first person or third person any time I play Warframe all I see is light

Then you are forma-ing your weapons correctly.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't stand first person games. I can play them but I much prefer third person. I like seeing more of what's going on. First person RPGs are the worst by far. I'll take a gears of war over a COD any day.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DMC5 was on sale so I grabbed it, and decided I'd get around to replaying 4 first which I haven't touched since it came out, and man it feels bad. All the combos are just different timings for pressing the Y button, movement feels heavy and sluggish, and it wants you to do all this precision stuff with a semi fixed camera. I remember it being smooth as hell a decade ago but everything it does has been improved on several times over and it's rough going back

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Elliot, you IDIOT!"

Where was my character at

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CordlessPen posted:

In the case of Human Revolution, I think it's because a cover system was pretty much expected in the 7th Gen and those are hard to do in 1st person, so they went the Rainbow Six road with the 3rd person camera when you're behind cover.

I think HR did an alright job of it. It comes off as an attempt to unify the design needs of shooty shoots and sneaky sneaks alike. And ultimately popping into third person while creeping around gives you a nice view of things and the cover system makes whether or not you can be seen a lot more clear and binary. Obviously it helps that a lot of the stealth was designed with cover-creeping in mind.

Basically they got the benefits of a more MGS-style stealth system without totally sacrificing first person immersion and/or the general feel of OG Deus Ex.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Still playing Fallout 4 and I want to complain about it

Your settlers can just straight up steal weapons and ammo from your workshop, and it doesn't warn you about this at all. I didn't know until a poor unfortunate raider showed up to my settlement and some rando nuked him with a fatman. I had to construct a bell, line everyone up and shake them down for contraband, which ultimately turned up three fatmans, a bunch of institute rifles, a heavily customized assault rifle and all the mininukes, fusion cells, and 5.56 ammo I'd ever collected (especially funny since they can fire infinitely so long as they have one bullet/missile, etc for their stolen gun). Frustrating and tedious for sure, but kind of fun because I'm doing it in VR and waving a gun in their face the entire time.

I guess I'll store my important poo poo elsewhere and start handing out duplicate weapons from my stash when I get them, hopefully that'll dissuade them from stealing more.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Riatsala posted:

Still playing Fallout 4 and I want to complain about it

Your settlers can just straight up steal weapons and ammo from your workshop, and it doesn't warn you about this at all. I didn't know until a poor unfortunate raider showed up to my settlement and some rando nuked him with a fatman. I had to construct a bell, line everyone up and shake them down for contraband, which ultimately turned up three fatmans, a bunch of institute rifles, a heavily customized assault rifle and all the mininukes, fusion cells, and 5.56 ammo I'd ever collected (especially funny since they can fire infinitely so long as they have one bullet/missile, etc for their stolen gun). Frustrating and tedious for sure, but kind of fun because I'm doing it in VR and waving a gun in their face the entire time.

I guess I'll store my important poo poo elsewhere and start handing out duplicate weapons from my stash when I get them, hopefully that'll dissuade them from stealing more.

Not sure if you can use the console in VR, but maybe you can put all your good poo poo in a container, then lock it with the console? Another solution is to keep all your good stuff at an empty settlement so nobody is around to take it. I used Hangman's Alley, and also sent all my companions there when I dismissed them, so I didn't have to hunt around a big place (like Sanctuary or the Drive-In) whenever I wanted to switch the nagging voice that follows me gets in my way (Nick Valentine is an exception, almost entirely because of the "clockwork dick" line when you're at Kellogg's house).

My own Fallout 4 complaint: I don't know what dark magics Bethesda works with, but Fallout 4 will disable my tab key (in FO4, not entirely) if I open the steam overlay and close it using the escape key. I should point out that I use right-shift plus backslash to open the steam overlay, because I got sick of it popping up in many games when I would be running and want to check my map. The steam overlay is a shortcut that is independent of Fallout 4, and again, doesn't even use the tab key, but it just stops working until I re-open the overlay and close it "properly." Fallout 4 is the only game this happens with, and I'm more confused/amused than angry, but figuring out why it kept happening was frustrating.

In comparison, the UI not reflecting my key bindings and showing "E" when it should be "F" is much less annoying.

Fallout 4 is a gigantic mess that I've got hundreds of hours in.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Jan 31, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't believe Far Cry 6's NPC path scripting is still so bad in a 2021 game. I dread every time I have to let a character lead me somewhere because it's a constant mix of them meandering in place, running 10 feet then stopping until I walk towards them in the right way, or even turning and running 50 feet in the wrong direction before turning around and running back to where we were. It's even worse on horseback because it's easy to bump your horse into theirs, which apparently frightens them and makes them sit around worrying for 20 seconds or so before they figure out to get back on the horse again. :sigh:

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Pokemon Legends Arceus is a fun new spin on the core mechanic of catching Pokemon by setting it inside of Breath of the Wild. It’s super engaging and I hope they keep this mechanic going and can iterate on it in future games that don’t look like they were rendered on an n64. Holy poo poo the graphics are bad. It’s fairly smooth for a late Switch game and I’m assuming poor graphic quality was the necessary tradeoff but maybe they should have just waited for the next hardware iteration.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

One small thing that bugs me about Fallout 4: the moon rises in the west and sets in the east. Seems like a simple thing to double check before locking down that code!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paper Tiger posted:

One small thing that bugs me about Fallout 4: the moon rises in the west and sets in the east. Seems like a simple thing to double check before locking down that code!!

aliens did it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean space is in the public domain , and i dont think I've seen an accurate night sky box ever in a game.

gently caress the fact games get the sun in the east/west correct is probably a miracle. (though that means all game settings take place directly on the equator?)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I believe in the new Battlefield game, made by multi billion dollar company EA, has the sun set to the south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yAFYw5c8kU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I was working on a prototype for a game with a day/night cycle set on an alien planet with rings around it, and I realized that I had never thought about things like the position of the sun and moon in the sky in a videogame before, and I was going to have to construct a bit of a model of the solar system in my head to figure out where to put things correctly. I went ahead and had the sun rise in the east and set in the west in the familiar fashion, though the opposite would've probably been just as valid (I don't believe having it set in the south is an option). I assumed that the planet's rings are around the equator (is that always the case for ringed planets? beats me) but I didn't want the sun to rise right behind the rings for aesthetic reasons - no problem, I figure I can give the planet a bit of axial tilt like the Earth has so the sun rises to the north of the rings.

Not sure how accurate you'd say my night skybox is - I grabbed a picture of the milky way from nasa and did some photoshoppery to delete the parts of it that made it very obviously a picture of the milky way. Did some shader trickery to make the stars twinkle, and it looked weird to have them completely static so I made the skybox gradually rotate over the course of the night. (The moon has had A Problem in this setting.)

https://i.imgur.com/ZJqrYDG.mp4

Since I did this work, I've been realizing how little I notice this kind of things in games. Most games, I probably couldn't even tell you whether they render the sun or moon at a specific position in the sky at all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That is awesome, though if you're open to some creative criticism, the twinkling is a bit overdone in the sense that they seem to go from very big to very tiny on the larger stars, maybe just make it a bit smaller at the high end and a bit bigger at the low end?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Randalor posted:

That is awesome, though if you're open to some creative criticism, the twinkling is a bit overdone in the sense that they seem to go from very big to very tiny on the larger stars, maybe just make it a bit smaller at the high end and a bit bigger at the low end?

That's a funny sort of thing where if you're looking right at the stars, you think "whoa drat those stars are really going wild" but if you're playing the game normally and paying attention to things on the ground around you, you hardly notice what's going on in the sky. It's something I can tune easily if the issue ever comes up with testers (if the game even gets that far).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It took me a day or two to get used to the sun being in the south the last time I was in the northern hemisphere.

Triarii posted:

I assumed that the planet's rings are around the equator (is that always the case for ringed planets? beats me).
You could have a non-equatorial ring if it's relatively recent (in astronomical terms). Individual bodies can be in inclined orbits but if you have a big group of them in one they'll spread out, start colliding, and end up in an equatorial orbit. But that takes time, so if you wanted to have an inclined ring because of a moon that was in the process of breaking up you could and it would look loving cool.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

God of War:

What's the point of a tight, over the shoulder camera and then enemies spawn in behind you constantly?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thank you. Started it yesterday and it's letting me down a bit so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enemies in God of War have no honor. They'll just ambush you and shoot your dog before even saying hello!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sally posted:

I think you blow up the mines without the minesweeper just by having them be triggered. Like, if you can lure some warboys to run over them or drop a brick on your gas pedal and let a car roll over one, it blows up and counts as it being disarmed. But that's more tedious and annoying than going back to a stronghold, grabbing the dog buggy, and doing the minigame.

easily worst part of the game, though easily ignored

Worst part Is I can't have Dinky D in my regular car!!!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

kazil posted:

God of War:

What's the point of a tight, over the shoulder camera and then enemies spawn in behind you constantly?

if you happen to play it on PC I highly recommend getting flawless widescreen to get rid of one of the worst offenders in this game (unfortunately there are a lot more). It also eliminates most pop ins with proper fov.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now that I can elaborate: God of War makes me feel like I missed the introduction to a crucial mechanic early on and I'm struggling where in other similar games I wouldn't or shouldn't be. And since this has happened in the past I'm very on edge!

e: and, y'know, now that I think about it I do kinda feel like the quick turn mechanic is a crutch so they can have their fancy tight camera angle

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jan 31, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Metro Exodus:Enhanced

I'm playing this straight off the back of two runs of RE:Village and I really miss my lb block button.
Don't wipe your face Artyom! Block the monsters!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: and, y'know, now that I think about it I do kinda feel like the quick turn mechanic is a crutch so they can have their fancy tight camera angle

The only time I ever felt the need to use it is in the ultimate secret boss fight with the Valkyrie Queen where you have to quickly look away from a specific attack or you'll get blinded. Besides that, if you see an indicator for an attack coming from behind it's usually better to reposition yourself so you can have all the enemies in front of you and actually see what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As time goes by my opinion of Norse God of War lowers and I hold the original three in higher esteem.