Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

David Chang has been fairly active in working on becoming better than his earlier celebrity chef persona (which was more in line with that Gordon Ramsey-style blowhardedness), or that's what his podcast has me believe…

He's also manic depressive and bipolar so I mean, I can kiiind of give him a bit of a pass for having a few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

David Chang was just on Finding Your Roots and his family story was interesting to hear. I don't know anything else about him but he seemed like a decent dude and he was visibly moved by learning a bunch of stuff about his ancestors.

I have not heard good things about Acer as a computer brand. I would avoid, in favor of a Lenovo, Dell, or maybe a Asus. I'm also a bit down on HPs, they're great to work on and have lots of spare parts availability, but they're typically loaded with shitware you can't delete and just feel really cheaply made usually.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is that dude who was working with Suh and got famous for gentrifying good food that was available cheaper elsewhere?

I mean he's a cook who catches flak for making fancy versions of Asian food we normally think of as cheap? How is that gentrification in a way that's different from starting an upscale Italian joint?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Watch this space

https://twitter.com/cryptochris808/status/1487484984919138309

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shirts and skins posted:

I mean he's a cook who catches flak for making fancy versions of Asian food we normally think of as cheap? How is that gentrification in a way that's different from starting an upscale Italian joint?

Isn't most fancy food based on cheap food? I know lobster wasn't considered fancy until like the last 100 years

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gentrification is bad because you take away poor people's homes and fancy them up and sell them to rich people
but making rich-people food based on poor people's recipes does not take away the poor people's food, they can keep right on eating it

so calling it gentrification seems pretty silly to me

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

gentrification is bad because you take away poor people's homes and fancy them up and sell them to rich people
but making rich-people food based on poor people's recipes does not take away the poor people's food, they can keep right on eating it

so calling it gentrification seems pretty silly to me

Yeah you can make weird overpriced fusion tacos all you want but I can still get a bagful of them from a local hole-in-the-wall for less than $20 so who cares.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I made bulgogi and put it over tater tots with a sriracha aioli and people gave me poo poo about it. It was delicious and I don't even care. People will hate on anything.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

I made bulgogi and put it over tater tots with a sriracha aioli and people gave me poo poo about it. It was delicious and I don't even care. People will hate on anything.

I'm Korean and I give this my approval

You tell em Rinaldo says it's fine!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Braksgirl posted:

Who are these people that gave you poo poo because I would crush that

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Braksgirl posted:

gently caress the haters that sounds delicious.

Food fusion is the natural evolution of cultures intermingling. Viet-Cajun is one of my favorite things, and my sister marrying into a Korean family means Filipino-Korean stuff is underway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Isn't most fancy food based on cheap food? I know lobster wasn't considered fancy until like the last 100 years

A lot of it is based upon perception, yes. Remember like, I don't know, 16 or 18 years, when all of a sudden tilapia became one of the most expensive and sought-after dishes at seafood restaurants? Much of this was due to the simple fact that despite being a literal bottom-feeder fish with next to no taste whatsoever, some clever marketing at a time when a lot of people were wringing their hands (justifiably) at overfishing of populations like swordfish and tuna allowed tilapia to take over that open "premier" space.

Oysters, also, became a highly desired thing to consume in the back half of the 20th century, because they were incredibly cheap to fish and mongers were able to attach all sorts of labels to them (like them being aphrodisiacs), and you could tack on a 90 percent markup because people would pay it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 30, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

A lot of it is based upon perception, yes. Remember like, I don't know, 16 or 18 years, when all of a sudden tilapia became one of the most expensive and sought-after dishes at seafood restaurants? Much of this was due to the simple fact that despite being a literal bottom-feeder fish with next to no taste whatsoever, some clever marketing at a time when a lot of people were wringing their hands (justifiably) at overfishing of populations like swordfish and tuna allowed tilapia to take over that open "premier" space.

I remember it was Chilean sea bass being overfarmed to the point it was about to be put on the endangered list. High end restaurants love(d) that fish since it was so neutral that sauciers could flex their skills on the plate.

I grew up eating tilapia because… well, it was cheap.

Oysters/mussels/clams & other bivalves are pretty good too as they help clean the waters they inhabit and are relatively easy to farm. Trick is that you gotta make sure people aren't dumping crap chemicals* nearby.

*or an excessive amount within government guidelines.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 30, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Should've known mentioning food would start an insufferable derail. Anyway the guy I was thinking of was Micah Camden. He's notorious for starting speciality restaurants with huge funding and promotion that mimic the traits of other mom and pop restaurants that had recent success in that niche. So somebody gets the buzz going and sees their business pick only to get muscled out of the mini market. As you might guess with restaurants, the mom and pop shops are often run by first or second generation immigrants.

So maybe an economic inflected cultural appropriation. Small potatoes as far as problem go but still lovely. I was just wondering if that was the guy Android was talking about since he's a Portland famous restauranteur.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

Still here! No power outages which is good because they kinda freak out my daughter. That and it's gonna get down to single digits the next couple of nights.

Were just at the northeast corner of RI fwiwi. Haven't measured yet but there's no way it's less than two feet. Our plow guy came by twice and I may call and ask him to come out again. Not looking forward to shoveling the rest out tomorrow.

We're somewhere over a foot, nowhere near 2. And of course my snowblower's carburetor is busted, so that's fun. Shoveled out to my car, then one of my neighbors plowed me out, so I got that going for me.

Just made a peasant's stew and gonna play some Forza. Enjoy Woonsocket! All the decay of the rust belt in a fun north eastern city.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was all set to get home from the hospital tonight (had been hospitalized since Tuesday with pneumonia, not COVID) and cook something in my kitchen to beat the hell out of the awful hospital food. As I was sitting on the hospital bed getting changed and waiting for my phone to buzz with the arrival notification from my cab, it instead pinged with a text from my girlfriend.

"We need to talk tonight."

No good conversation ever started that way. :ohdear:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Braksgirl posted:

Making ethnic food for yourself / family is fine. Now, if you decided to open a Korean restaurant making a profit off of Korean food, well... that's where it gets weird.

I don't think you're gonna open a restaurant, yet :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

I don't think you're gonna open a restaurant, ever

Fixed.

God, I know so many people, really good friends, who have gotten rear end-over-head and blown hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement savings to open a restaurant just because they've been told they're good cooks, or they're excellent at managing operations and just need to hire a good chef, or whatever.

Edit: And even pre-COVID, like maybe around 2016 - 17, banks were starting to get really wary of handing out mortgages to people looking to start a restaurant, even people with solid financial backing and good business plans. All the planning in the world doesn't fix when a contractor totally fucks the dog on a build-out, you buy a turnkey space with lovely equipment, the roof is leaking, there's black mold in the coolers, you can't hire staff worth a drat and your wife has just left you for the bartender and stolen your broken-down pickup truck.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 30, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Should've known mentioning food would start an insufferable derail. Anyway the guy I was thinking of was Micah Camden. He's notorious for starting speciality restaurants with huge funding and promotion that mimic the traits of other mom and pop restaurants that had recent success in that niche. So somebody gets the buzz going and sees their business pick only to get muscled out of the mini market. As you might guess with restaurants, the mom and pop shops are often run by first or second generation immigrants.

So maybe an economic inflected cultural appropriation. Small potatoes as far as problem go but still lovely. I was just wondering if that was the guy Android was talking about since he's a Portland famous restauranteur.

Oh yeah I remember Camden. IIRC he helped Ndamukong Suh start up Baes Fried Chicken.

drat, looking up the list of places Camden's been involved in has a lot of places I like too. :(

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah it sucks.

I want the various playlist tools to help me discover new music and it fails at that.

Like it seems to only create playlists from the very highest levels of “genre” and “popularity”. So if I make two completely different lofi playlists, it will recommend the same songs for both.

Pandora is still very good at its core competency of generating an algorithmic station from a song and with the paid plans you get the ability to add them to playlists, save them etc like Spotify or any other music service, it is still surfacing new music for me 16 years later.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Do you know how tempted I was to turn the water on???

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am proud of your restraint because I don't know if I could have stopped myself. Not full blast but a little trickle.

Does he/she have a water fixation about the sink when you're normally using it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Timby posted:

"We need to talk tonight."

No good conversation ever started that way. :ohdear:

there's one

let us know if it's a boy or a girl

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Don't torment that little baby.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I am proud of your restraint because I don't know if I could have stopped myself. Not full blast but a little trickle.

Does he/she have a water fixation about the sink when you're normally using it?

Sometimes. It'd a new behaviour for Katya and he's really mostly interested in getting up there to watch you brush your teeth/wash your face/use the toilet. He has started drinking any water around thr drain, even though we keep a water dish in the bathroom for the cats since it's master bed/bath set up and Lena likes to sleep under our big dresser sometimes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

there's one

let us know if it's a boy or a girl

Har har. I'm still waiting for her to call.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kalli posted:

If you did want to eat your own child, becoming a master chef perfectionist is probably a requirement, not really the kind of dish you get to cook twice.
Jonathan Swift has a modest proposal where such meals can be made with regularity.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

Let me know if you try it out, I’ve been sick of Spotify for months because all of my daily playlists are just different orders of the same song from 15 of the same bands including several that I give a thumbs down at every opportunity. At least use a different song or two from the same 15 bands!

I did end up getting the pay version because they have a special of $1 for three months. So far it’s good. It looks pretty much exactly like Spotify and looks to have the same features. I’ll have to give the shuffle some time since I just started with it. See if it’s repetitive or not.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Jonathan Swift has a modest proposal where such meals can be made with regularity.

Especially for the Irish

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I did end up getting the pay version because they have a special of $1 for three months. So far it’s good. It looks pretty much exactly like Spotify and looks to have the same features. I’ll have to give the shuffle some time since I just started with it. See if it’s repetitive or not.

I can't speak to it now, but Pandora had a much better shuffle / themed option when I used it six or seven years ago.

The trade-off was that the Android version was so encumbered by bloat and adware that it was unusable after maybe two hours just due to a brutal memory leak.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Landmark divorce ruling. A single tweet justifies sole custody and all assets awarded to the wife.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

We're somewhere over a foot, nowhere near 2. And of course my snowblower's carburetor is busted, so that's fun. Shoveled out to my car, then one of my neighbors plowed me out, so I got that going for me.

Just made a peasant's stew and gonna play some Forza. Enjoy Woonsocket! All the decay of the rust belt in a fun north eastern city.

D'oh! In-laws also had their snowblower go out
They're in western CT though so I don't think they got hit too hard? Have fun with Forza. Pulling out my 2DS and playing Dragon Quest 9 with some fortified cocoa here.

Did some of the remaining shoveling tonight and I guess I overestimated based on what the deck looked like (looks like a lot of what was on the roof fell down on there) because I was only seeing 19 inches.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Guze posted:

Landmark divorce ruling. A single tweet justifies sole custody and all assets awarded to the wife.

drat sucks she wins and still gets nothing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/clozilly/status/1487608321410572292
gently caress

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Guze posted:

I would make sure my honeymoon was on a cruise ship just so I had plausible deniability once he went off the side of the ship.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I would make sure my honeymoon was on a cruise ship just so I had plausible deniability once he went off the side of the ship.

there are cameras everywhere as Braks likes to remind me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

Har har. I'm still waiting for her to call.

So, no breakup tonight, but I'm on thin ice. My girlfriend is ... while she's not a-romantic, she doesn't really wear her passions on her sleeve, she's not the type to do romantic gestures, even like a random text saying, "Hey, I love you." Whereas I am the complete opposite. It's led to some frictions here and there.

But I do love her so, and I'm grateful that she continues to give me chances, even though I occasionally screw up and do something that she feels I shouldn't / doesn't want me to, like publicly express affection for her on social media. It's weird, but I can roll with it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

there are cameras everywhere as Braks likes to remind me

Now look here, I didn't want to have to roll up in this chat and talk about this but here we are. I wouldn't have to remind you of the cameras if you didn't fancy yourself an exhibitionist, buddy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you can't hang :dong: while in international waters, why even bother getting on a cruise ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Now look here, I didn't want to have to roll up in this chat and talk about this but here we are. I wouldn't have to remind you of the cameras if you didn't fancy yourself an exhibitionist, buddy.

Oh no I want to have sex with my wife on vacation :aaa: